Does anyone make an HK MP5 clone semi auto 9mm?

PDA

Balrog
September 25, 2011, 10:54 PM
If not, why doesnt HK or some other company do this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone make an HK MP5 clone semi auto 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zerodefect
September 25, 2011, 11:20 PM
It would need an SBR license due to the short barrel. It is weird with a long barrel.

Maybe check out a FN PS90 instead. That's kinda what was supposed to replace the MP5.

animator
September 25, 2011, 11:22 PM
Special Weapons made one way back in the day... it kinda has mixed reviews regarding quality.

I have one and have not had any issues that I couldn't easily fix...

If you're competent, and have some deep pockets, they can be built off a parts kit. It's a lot of work though...

I'm considering an MP5 build after I wrap up my G3k project....

WardenWolf
September 25, 2011, 11:25 PM
You mean "Speshul Weapons"? The infamous "gunsmith" who produced tons of garbage firearms under various company names over the years, as well as monkeying up other peoples' guns?

animator
September 25, 2011, 11:28 PM
You mean "Speshul Weapons"? The infamous "gunsmith" who produced tons of garbage firearms under various company names over the years, as well as monkeying up other peoples' guns?
I almost typed it like that in my original reply... lol.

But yeah... they've got kind of a Hesse/Vulcan/JoeKen/whoevertheyarenow reputation regarding quality...

But like I said, the only issue I ever had with mine was easily fixed, and has not given me any trouble after the fix. Basically all it needed was a new extractor spring. Runs flawless now, although I do not spend much time with it at the range...

kfgk14
September 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
If not, why doesnt HK or some other company do this?

Because unfortunately, at the end of the day, we suck and HK hates us, and as much demand as there is for HK to get a factory going here to churn out HK416's, HK417's, HK G36's (SL8's for us civvies), and any of their other various firearms that we can only get in castrated form in America, they won't do it because LE/Mil contracts pay all their bills adequately :cuss:

Sam Cade
September 25, 2011, 11:46 PM
American Tactical imports Turkish MKE built MP5 clones. They are top notch.

How many do you want?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct862.aspx

Afy
September 26, 2011, 12:08 AM
HK and POF make them. Available in the EU. I have been toying with the idea of getting one, but the 3K Euro tag is a bit of a damper.

vaupet
September 26, 2011, 03:35 AM
They are available in some countries in Europe. In Belgium they are for around 1600 iirc. (Not in Germany, because of barrel lenght issues, i believe)
Peter

Float Pilot
September 26, 2011, 03:55 AM
HK used to make and sell a carbine length barreled semi-only MP-5 look-alike here in the US back in the 80s. The HK-94
Oddly enough they were fairly accurate.
They fell victim to the first round of supposed Assault Weapons import ban under the first George Bush in the late 1980s. That followed a school yard shooting in calif.

451 Detonics
September 26, 2011, 04:53 AM
There are several HK 94 clones...the 94 was the MP-5 in semi auto only and with a 16 inch barrel. Today you can't make one full auto unless you can find a registered sear or lower but you can SBR it for $200 in taxes.

The Turner copies are built on a US made receiver and are set up for a sear pack for full auto if you can find a pre ban for sale. They have a good rep as does the Vector. I haven't heard much about the Turkish American Tactical copy but it does state not all HK parts will interchange and they use a "special MP5 style mag" which makes me believe standard HK mags will not work in them.

Quiet
September 26, 2011, 09:39 AM
The ATI imported MKE MP5 clones are currently the best MP5 clones on the market.
MKE was licensed and set up by H&K to make H&K firearms for the Turkish Gov/Mil.

The ATI/MKE MP5 pistols (AT-94K & AT-94P) are the better deals than the ATI/MKE rifle (AT-94A2), because the pistols had less modifications done on them to make them legal to import into the USA.

Due to the "sporting purpose" requirements of the Gun Control Act of 1968, the ATI/MKE firearms had to be modified so that they could not readily be able to accept MP5 MG parts and the rifle variant had to be modified so that it could not accept 11+ round magazines.

Also, note that due to rising costs, ATI will no longer import the MKE H&K based firearms.

dprice3844444
September 26, 2011, 10:08 AM
http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/sp89/sp89.htm google sp89

JustinJ
September 26, 2011, 10:29 AM
Because unfortunately, at the end of the day, we suck and HK hates us, and as much demand as there is for HK to get a factory going here to churn out HK416's, HK417's, HK G36's (SL8's for us civvies), and any of their other various firearms that we can only get in castrated form in America, they won't do it because LE/Mil contracts pay all their bills adequately

HK hates us? HK runs a business and is hampered in selling rifles to american civilians due to our laws. Their pistols are readily available which is curious given they "hate us".

The demand for a civilian made MP5 is probably not nearly as high as you may think when one considers what the price would be. Ecspecially compared to the cost of tooling up to produce it in the US.

Since the 416/417 are for LE/mil use only HK has no reason to make them in the US. THe civilian versions, 5MR56/MR762, are assembled and partially made in the US to comply with importation laws. HK marketing research apparently did identify a demand of adequate size to make production here financially feasible.

There is a turkish MP5 pistol clone built on HK machinery that is available and a version with a 16" barrel. Either can be purchased and SBRed. There are also several local smiths building MP5 variants with american made receivers and parts kits from demoed guns. Atlantic Firearms has as fairly extensive selection.

InkEd
September 26, 2011, 10:38 AM
Really? It's pretty well known that H&K doesn't care
too much about civilian sales.

JustinJ
September 26, 2011, 10:52 AM
Really? It's pretty well known that H&K doesn't care too much about civilian sales.

A number of people holding an opinion does not make something "well known". HK is a business that cares about making money like any other business. Their niche is the high end market and world wide Mil/LE sales. I've never had a problem purchasing their civilian legal products.

HGUNHNTR
September 26, 2011, 11:35 AM
Really? It's pretty well known that H&K doesn't care too much about civilian sales.
That is a stereotype that people like to perpetuate because it makes them look like thay are in the know. HK is in the business of being in business, and regardless of how special american shooters deem themselves to be, they are not the only, or even most important market for every firearm manufacturer.

kfgk14
September 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
I consider myself a pretty important segment of the shooting population, you know, the "me" part of the shooting population. I guess I'm selfish, but all I ask is that HK manufacture parts to convert their SL-8 series and other neutered/castrated series of weapons to free world configuration. It's not too much to ask, is it? I'd buy an SL8 and reconfigure it like a G36 if only they'd sell the requisite components.

LiquidTension
September 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
Obviously kfgk14's comment was not taken in the appropriate context. (http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/hk-because-you-suck-and-we-hate-you/)

HKGuns
September 26, 2011, 10:20 PM
The context was well understood by me and it is still a load of garbage, even if it is ancient.

HK sells plenty of civillian weapons in the US market. It is one of the reasons they built a US plant, but I suppose that didn't happen soon enough for those who like to beat their drum thinking they know something. Oh, and if they hate you why exactly did they build that plant in the US? Hmmmmm. High cost of VERY organized labor in Germany, restrictive German export laws and even more restrictive US import laws. Yeah, they hate you.

LiquidTension
September 26, 2011, 10:33 PM
It's a joke with an element of truth to it. No need to get all butthurt.

Oxide
September 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
Nah, it's just stupidity, actually.

Most people like to mock HK firearms because they can't afford them, and mocking them
makes them feel less inadequate.

animator
September 26, 2011, 10:39 PM
In other news, centerfiresystem's latest mail flier has MP5 clones on the cover and the details on pg 4.

VR-9, asking 1299 for them.

vaupet
September 27, 2011, 03:14 AM
Did some checking, have to correct my previous post: prices nib are above 3k
greetings
Peter

boricua9mm
September 27, 2011, 10:16 AM
Special Weapons, Coharie Arms, Top Notch, Black Market Parts, etc. really were the only game in town until some of the custom builders got started up and ATI brought in the MKEs. Still though, those custom builders are often relegated to using parts from the Todd Bailey companies due to supply issues or 922(r).

The guy has a history of the worst business ethics and customer service in the industry. That's the truth. The other reminaing truths are that a LOT of people have MP5 clones that have had some simple de-bugging done to them and they run like hillbillies in Harlem, including serving as sear hosts. A lot of people don't like the idea of a do-it-yourself proposition with a gun that is this expensive and I can understand that. However, I find it funny when these people spout off about stuff they have no personal experience with. The problems with clones are easily identifiable. The fixes can be anywhere from $10-$400, depending on the problem. Most problems revolve around the extractor and extractor spring, but there are a few other things to look for.

The truth about MP5 Clones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fkSoZcw0UQ)

In HK's eyes, the MP5 is coming to pass. They had hoped that the UMP would replace it altogether, but in reality the shift towards 5.56mm weapons and greater for Law Enforcement and Military apps has made a 9mm SMG a special applications tool. Due to the import ban, put into play by a Republican no less, HK can only manufacture these stateside, and since they have no US manufacturing facility, this just isn't possible. Wilcox does not have machinery to manufacture the MP5, and the contracts/demand just aren't there for this type of firearm.

The good news is that if you have the gumption to step into an MP5 clone, there are some great parts coming from RCM which count as 922(r) parts and are manufacturerd to excellent standards.

I have a Bobcat that has been an excellent little gun. I have switched out a few things due to personal preferences and peace-of-mind reasons, but I don't regret it one bit. It gobbles up rounds all day long, and the only trouble I've ever had was with some powder puff reloads. So far I've put about 3k rounds through it. It will be a suppressor host by the end of the year. While this gun wasn't built by Todd himself, it was built using his components. That said, there are very few things on it that I can find to complain about.

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/bw5a3_2.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/bw5a3_3.jpg

A lot of people get all hot and bothered by the MKE clones, becuase they either hate or are afraid of the Todd Bailey products and they are enthralled by the "HK Licensed" aspect of it. It should be noted that some folks are finding that these guns are in fact retired & refurbished service guns. Check out these comments from one of the premiere custom builders in the US. (http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/136315-mke-at94k-mp5k-n-conversion.html) I'm not 100% sure what the licensure entails, but typically it involves manufacturing equipment and the blessing to use the gun's design specs. Materials and QA/AC may or may not be specified as terms of the license. Just something to consider. The three MKE guns I've seen have looked pretty rough.

If you want an MP5 clone, budget at least $2k for the MP5 project. If you want a custom built clone, budget around $3,000. If your gun must say HK on the side for you to be happy, budget around $5,000.

Like Master Yoda says, "Do or do not. There is no try."

nwilliams
September 27, 2011, 02:43 PM
Years ago I owned a Special Weapons SW94 and it was an absolute POS! I couldn't get through one mag without a failure. I sold that and took a big loos on it.

Not long after that I made the biggest gun buying mistake of my life and purchased a Vulcan V-94. It was worse than than the SW-94, malfunction after malfunction. On top of the malfunctions the fake can came loose, the fit and finish was horrible and the company had the worst customer service I had ever experienced. I sold the gun for about a quarter of what I paid for it after a couple months. That was back in 2004 or 2005 and after that I swore I would never buy an HK-94 clone again.

However when ATI started importing the MKE HK-94 clones I decided to take another chance on one and after thousands of rounds through it I haven't had a single malfunction of any kind. The gun feeds any brand of ammo I feed it, it's accurate and loads of fun! I bought the MKE-94P with the 18" barrel and converted it into a rifle by adding enough US parts to make it 922r compliant. I want to SBR it eventually but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The MKE clones are as close as you can get to owning a genuine HK for at least half the price. They are made in Turkey under contract by HK and built with HK tooling and machinery.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/MKE-1-1.jpg

Atlantic Firearms
September 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
We expect to be new offering a few other MP5 9mm pistols & rifles in the next 1 -2 months by a well know firearms firm staty tuned for details .

boricua9mm
September 28, 2011, 08:21 AM
↑ Someone needs to start making K pistols with 3-lug or Navy barrel. Heck, I'd even take an extended threaded barrel! The only think keeping me back from tackling a MP5K SBR is the barrel hassle/expense. If I didn't have to worry about that part then I'd already have such a project underway! :)

Atlantic Firearms
September 28, 2011, 09:16 PM
We will have K style pistols with a 3 lug barrel out in 5 -6 weeks priced around $2399 ish range .

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone make an HK MP5 clone semi auto 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!