300 Rum

PDA

Stinkyshoe
January 27, 2004, 02:31 AM
Has anyone shot this rifle? What are your thoughts on its accuracy and balistic capability? What is your favorite platform for it? Special Weapons mag had an interesting article on the Ar30 chambered in it. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ss

If you enjoyed reading about "300 Rum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
B_Scott
January 27, 2004, 03:59 PM
BTT
I am interested, too.

Frohickey
January 27, 2004, 04:06 PM
Isn't this just the 300WinMag Mag? :D

Stinkyshoe
January 27, 2004, 05:10 PM
Hehe yeah and then some:D

Actually the author of the article was able to hit silouettes at 2000 yards with it.

Frohickey
January 27, 2004, 05:32 PM
I was tempted to get one when it first came out, then thought it might be better to have someone else be the guinea pig for it. The issues I see with it would be barrel throat erosion, akin to what happened when the 220Swift first came into being.

Of course, this could be mediated by better steels, but I doubt you can eliminate it altogether. There is also the option to load down to 300WinMag levels or less for practice and such.

For this rifle, I could see needing a good sorbothane recoil pad, and a good muzzle break and ear protection. A good long range scope would be necessary too.

warrior23
January 27, 2004, 06:21 PM
I have the Remy 700p in 300ultra in factory setup it kicked like Hell.Sent it to GA precision and had it Trued/squared and a Vias brake put on.The gun shoots great but still seems to kick alot.I'm gonna have it re braked with the Answer system,I have 2 300wm with these brakes an the recoil is less than a 308.Bullet selection is like the 300wm,need sometime to load up and check for real accuracy.Like someone else metioned barrel life is prob gonna be short.

Stinkyshoe
January 27, 2004, 09:04 PM
Thank you again for the replies!:)

I thought about the barrel errosion thing too. Isn't it real common with BFG's? Is there really a need for a cartridge that BIG for long range shooting. To be honest I dislike the recoil of a 30-06. What is the effective range of the 308? How would the 300winmag be compared to the 300rum?

For a long range rifle, is it really necessary to have the heavy bull barrel? Would a standard moa or less hunting rifle be capable of 600-1000 with good accuracy?

If 308 is a good long range cartridge, then would it make sense to have an AR-10 as apposed to a bolt gun? I would think for good long range accuracy, handloading would be about the only viable option in order to practice frequently. Aren't there feeding concerns with handloading and using a semi auto? If a 5 round mag is good, then is 20 at semi-auto better?(me thinks no) What good is ultra match ammo that jams in a gun that shoots faster than what is needed for accuracy? Is a bolt gun the answer? There must be a reason why some U.S. Snipers use the 300 winmag,but there must be a reason why some use the m14, and why some use....etc,etc.
Thanks
Ss

BIGR
January 27, 2004, 09:04 PM
According to Remingtons charts it looks like it will shoot as flat as any other caliber they offer out to 500 yards. The 7 MM Ultra Mag is no slouch either. I would be interested in a 7 MM Ultra Mag if I could find out some info from you guys that have one.

If you enjoyed reading about "300 Rum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!