Scratched brass.......

PDA

saenzrich
September 26, 2011, 05:50 PM
Bought a RCBS kit and began de-priming some 38spc the other day. About 50 rounds in I noticed my brass was getting scratched up. Is brass safe to shoot with scratches. I am obviously new to reloading so be easy on me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scratched brass......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
September 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
Shouldn't hurt anything. Probably light scratches. Were the dies New? If not they might be galled on the inside, possibly with nickle. Are these dies steel or carbide? If steel they should be lubed with sizing lube.

saenzrich
September 26, 2011, 11:00 PM
The scratches are only deep enough to feel with the tip of your finger nail. I believe they are steel and they were new. After i noticed the scratches I began lubing but I believe the damage was already done every piece of brass is scratching like the one before. I just want to make sure it is safe to reload and shoot.

jcwit
September 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
Personnally I'd go ahead and use it, I seriously doubt the scratches will hurt anything. If they really bother you use light loads for those that are scratched.

Have you inspected the sizing dies to see if there is any galling inside. It can be polished out with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper/emory cloth using a piece of dowel rod thats split to hold the sandpaper.

I've done this when I've had nickle galled inside a sizing die.

OldmanFCSA
September 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
I've seen this before - and we have trouble with this when we size lots of 50BMG cases.
It is caused by insufficent quantity of good quality sizing lube causing brass particles to transfer from case to interior of die.
Die can be cleaned by soaking in amonia - aqueous ammonia is best - it will dissolve the brass without hurting the die.
Then "lightly" polish the interior of the die and re-use.

Good luck with your travels.

rcmodel
September 27, 2011, 12:43 PM
I began lubing but I believe the damage was already done
I agree you have brass flecks galled to the interior of the steel sizing die.

I haven't tried the ammonia mentioned above. But it or Copper Solvent Bore Cleaner should work, eventually.

What I do is slot a dowel rod, put a flap of 320 grit black emery paper in the slot, and polish the die with a cordless drill.

Dies are harder then woodpecker lips, so the polishing will quickly remove the brass without harming the die.

Once you get the die back to normal, be sure to use sizing lube from now on and you will have no other trouble with scratched brass.

rc

snuffy
September 27, 2011, 12:55 PM
RCBS still makes steel handgun sizers? Why on earth would you consider buying them?

Get a carbide sizer as a separate/single die, be done with scratched brass.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=630528

Or, if you have to have RCBS;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=468336

Apparently they do still make steel dies;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=882346

If you enjoyed reading about "Scratched brass......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!