Cylinder Question

PDA

drw2514
September 27, 2011, 02:49 AM
Maybe a weird question about revolver design, but...

Why does the cylinder open to the left?

It seems that it would be much easier to load from the right as a right handed shooter.

Is it a matter of tradition? Some design aspect that necessitates it?

I'm just curious... :)

And... forgive me if i'm overlooking something obvious...

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DWFan
September 27, 2011, 03:15 AM
It opens to the left so you don't have to change your grip...at least not too much. A right-handed shooter would have to transfer the weapon to his left hand to reload with his right.

drw2514
September 27, 2011, 03:19 AM
I guess i'm just not that good with my left hand... I have to change my grip to reload no matter what. My thumb isn't long enough to manipulate the cylinder release latch without changing my grip.

Oh well, no sense complaining. :)

98Redline
September 27, 2011, 07:41 AM
Try being a lefty....

Tallinar
September 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
Search the web and you'll find a pretty sweet video from Massad Ayoob demonstrating how they did revolver reloading training back in in the 70's. He demonstrates methods for both right and left-handed shooters. After watching that, you may come to find that it's not a huge obstacle with a bit of deliberate practice.

I'm a lefty, and the method he demonstrates there works very well for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!