Finally moved my safe (whew!)

PDA

Batty67
September 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
From the minivan, where it sat for 2 weeks much to the increasing irritation of my wife, to my basement workroom. I got the 509-lb, 24-gun Winchester safe from Tractor Supply. I had to rent an appliance dolly from Uhaul (great use of $10!) and get my brother and nephew (both over 6') to help. That was a sucky enterprise. Hot and humid and back-breaking work. My greatest fear was that it would not work once I got it in place. But in place it is, works flawlessly, and I have plenty of space to start filling it up...

I'll need to bolt it to the floor before too long. But I do rest easier having it in place and operational. I had done a lot of internet research on safes (and RSCs, as this is) and realized that 24 long guns probably means 16 and I got twice (or more) the safe I expect I'll reasonably need. Has 1 and 1/4" locking bolts, 10 total, spread out on all 4 sides of the door. Moderately fire-resistant too, but that was a very distant second consideration. Electronic lock, I'd have preferred (I think) a combination, but did not have a choice. Still, quick access is very nice.

Of course, a dedicated safe cracker with knowledge, tools, and time could get into it of course, but then again, a safe that weighs twice as much and with twice as good of a lock can still be defeated in time. So, I think I struck the right balance between size, weight, security, cost, and future needs. Only time will tell I guess.

Cost $700, and a week earlier I could have gotten it for $600 as it goes on sale a few times a year. The Winchester 19-gun safe is only $75 cheaper or so, and would have been enough, but the price break was too good to resist. And honestly, when I move in 8-12 years (at the earliest), it can stay with the house, or I'll have professionals move it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally moved my safe (whew!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pgmrdan
September 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
At 509 pounds empty how much do you think it will weigh when you stash your guns, ammo, gun cases, cleaning equipment and supplies, etc. ?

Of course you never know who might bring over 4 or 5 of his closest friends and a dolly from U-Haul while you're on vacation. :D

Congratulations on getting the gun safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally moved my safe (whew!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!