Manual Powder Measures

PDA

j2crows
September 27, 2011, 04:49 PM
In your opinion... Is a manual Bench Rest Grade Powder Measure better than a, "regular" manual powder measure. How?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Manual Powder Measures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hangingrock
September 27, 2011, 05:05 PM
Advice from the multitudes cost nothing and usually worth the same. This applies to what I’m going to write in response. I’ve used various powder measures. The Redding BR and Belding & Mull have proved to be satisfactory for my reloading applications.

rcmodel
September 27, 2011, 05:09 PM
Not unless you need to adjust it back & forth all the time.
The micrometer adjustment might make it a little more repeatable if you keep good records of what it was set on the last time you wanted that powder charge.

I went with a bench full of old Lyman #55's I keep finding cheap at garage sales & flea markets.

Keep a couple set for my "standard" handgun loads and very seldom change them.

I have another old Herters that has been set on 26.3 grains W-748 for .223 so long it growed in place.

rc

ranger335v
September 27, 2011, 10:01 PM
So called "BR" powder measures are no more automatically consistant than others. They can't be, they all have holes the powder falls into and how consistantly that happens is much more because of the powder being used and the operator's technique than the hole. What BR measures all have are smallish chambers well suited to smallish charges and very repeatable calibrations on the adjustment thimble.

rfwobbly
September 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
Is a manual Bench Rest Grade Powder Measure better than a, "regular" manual powder measure. How?

There are several physical characteristics that can help make a PM more accurate.....
► Small bore so that more piston movement is needed to make the same change. More required movement results in finer calibrations.
► Being metal helps keep static issues to a minimum
► Being made of metal allows vibrations to carry through the unit and helps the powder reach a consistent density
► Presence of a baffle helps

But even the best PM is worthless is the operating technique is poor.

RC is right. Micrometers don't make the measurement more accurate, they help the reloader return to the same setting. To get accurate adjustment you actually want a larger diameter knob so that smaller angular adjustments can be made.

If you enjoyed reading about "Manual Powder Measures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!