Handloads Versus Boar

PDA

BBDartCA
September 28, 2011, 01:26 AM
What can be more satisfying than a clean kill with your handloads.

Took 2 boars in Northern California this weekend with handloads. First a 125 pound sow with 357 Dan Wesson 6" with 180 grain hard cast RNFP with max load of AA #9. At about 20 yards hit it just below the ear and pig dropped instantly. Massive exit wound. Yeah a 22 could probably done the job at this range but it was impressive.

Second one was at about 100 yards with 30-06 with 180g Partition with max load of IMR 4350. Was a tough hind facing shot betweeen 2 trees on a very steep hill with a moving hog. Hit this one also right below the ear and it also just instantly collapsed. Turned everything inside the neck and around the brain into jello. Yeah using an "Elk Load" on a little pig is overkill. But was lucky that both of these two shots resulted in no meat damage. Good weekend hunting in near paradise.

Pic of the 30-06 damage below.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handloads Versus Boar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigedp51
September 28, 2011, 01:59 AM
I can make you a deal on a .500 Smith and Wesson Magnum to cook your hogs on and you will be able to keep telling your hog stories over and over to your guests or at least till the smoke gets in your eyes. :D

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/BBQ-a.jpg

You can hand load any type wood or charcoal you want in it. ;)

7even6ix2wo
September 28, 2011, 02:07 AM
biged, that is the almost greatest thing I have ever seen. Where can I get one?

Missionary
September 28, 2011, 05:30 AM
Good morning BBDartCa
Good work on the elimination of 2 more varmets ! That under the ear shot sure does them in fast.. Tracking deer is not so bad but piggy´s are real low on my list.
Mike in Peru

g29guy
September 28, 2011, 05:38 AM
Nice job bbdartca. I'm hoping to try my handloads of hardcast in 10mm this year on white tails I may head down to middle Ga in the off season for some hogs(we can shoot them year round here).

41 Mag
September 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
Your absolutely right. I managed a nice sow Sunday morning at 87 yards with my Raging Bull in 454, shooting my own 300gr RFN GC cast from a Lee mold.

It was a wonderful sight of rear over ears when the big flat nose impacted, as they were headed out across out back pasture. If I had done a bit more practicing at longer ranges, I would have gotten the other two as well. I have only shot this load out to 50yds, but with the accuracy of it, it is easily capable of a further shot than I am. Least at this point.

My biggest issue is getting my head around the fact that these things don't drop like "my" mind thinks they should. I held a bit more of a lead as they had on the after burners after the first shot. I was hitting right in front of them but alas, all they got was the breeze as it went by.

Still a hoot.

Hondo 60
September 28, 2011, 11:02 PM
BBDartCA:

Very cool! What can be more satisfying than a clean kill with your handloads?
I don't know. CONGRATS!!!!

bigedp51: That is just WOW!!! :D
I think BBDartCA definitely needs one to cook his hogs

splithoof
September 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
Good shooting.
My hog load from a trusted .30-06 is Federal brass, Barnes 180 TSX bullet, Federal 210 primer, and 44.5 grains of H-4895. A bunch of one-shot kills out to 211 yards, some were taken while they were running. I always shoot them just behind the shoulder, and they drop every time.
Because the areas that I hunt require use of lead-free bullets, I have found factory loads to be rather expensive. Besides, there is an added level of satisfaction when you craft your own ammunition.

BBDartCA
September 29, 2011, 01:33 AM
splithoof, I take it you are hunting in Monterey or Colinga area? Yeah, no-lead is not cheap. But everything I've seen on the TSX expansion is very impressive!

splithoof
September 29, 2011, 02:11 AM
Yep, that area exactly, and some times years ago prior at Fort Hunter Ligget (before the legislated condor bullets). Gosh it gets hot up there!
The TSX has never failed for me. They always sail through, leave a good wound channel, but there is still plenty of great meat for BBQ, crock pot, or whatever you like. Because the TSX (like other copper bullets) are lighter in density, they are a bit longer, so make sure you load them to a length that will function in your rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handloads Versus Boar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!