the most accurate "out of the counter" rifle and its price?

PDA

ShootAndHunt
January 27, 2004, 11:32 AM
I am considering to buy a new rifle and want this one is the most accurate rifle available "out of the counter", which means custom rifle excluded, and I don't want to burn a hole in my wallet for it if I don't have to:-). Could you guys give me some advice?

1. It seems I must go with a bolt action. But which caliber is better: .223, .308 or 30-06 or others?

2. I heard that Remington 700 LTR or PSS is a good choice, which is better? or is there other choice? How accurate could they be, and how much do they cost?

3. Are these rifles available from the gun store? (I didn't see the Rem 700 LTR or PSS in the Remington catolog, for example.)

4. What are the most important features I should look at if I want a very accurate rifle? the bedding, trigger or barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "the most accurate "out of the counter" rifle and its price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cookhj
January 27, 2004, 11:35 AM
buy a savage. do a search on savage rifles and see what everyone's had to say about them.

Preacherman
January 27, 2004, 12:47 PM
I agree that for a budget-priced rifle, the Savage is probably the most accurate factory-production rifle out there. I've had uniformly excellent results with them. However, if you want to go up-market a bit (not too much), try the Tikka range. They're made by Sako, and I consider them to be the best value-for-money rifle on the market today - and their accuracy is equal to the Savage, while their workmanship and quality is, IMHO, higher.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 27, 2004, 12:54 PM
Basically----Sako for around $1000

or

Tikka for around $500

Nothin else even comes close.

JohnBT
January 27, 2004, 01:48 PM
If I was going to spend a grand on a Sako I'd probably go ahead and spend $1100 and get a Cooper Classic.

A buddy bought a stainless/plastic Howa .223 a few years ago for $330 and it really does shoot extremely well at 100 yards. And I was shooting battle pack ammo of all things and getting little cloverleafs using a BSA (gasp!!!) scope. I haven't tried it at 200 yards yet.

John

Black Snowman
January 27, 2004, 01:57 PM
I'm extremely happy with my CZ 550 VL in .308 that I got for ~$650 out the door. Scope rings were another $50 but built strong enough for even their safari guns.

BigG
January 27, 2004, 01:59 PM
I would put my money on a Mannlicher for guaranteed out of the box accuracy and reliability.

BlackJack
January 27, 2004, 02:02 PM
I just picked up a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic on sale from Sports Authority--$389 out the door. It's in .30-06, and although I have always assumed that .308 was the more accurate cartridge, I am quite impressed with the consistency and small groups this rifle produces. True, this version has a light sporter style barrel and a longer heavy barrel might give you better performance, but this has been an inexpensive but quality firearm for me and I'd recommend you take a look at the Rems.

nico
January 27, 2004, 04:40 PM
I don't have any personal experience with any of the guns listed. But if I were you, I'd take a look at the Winchester Stealth II. The retail price is around that of the 700 and it seems to be meant for the same purpose (tactical/long range shooting).

Mulliga
January 27, 2004, 05:15 PM
http://www.remingtonle.com

The 700 is a good choice (hell, I just bought one:D ). .308 is generally considered the best all-around sniping caliber for mid-range work, with 300 Win Mag having a decent sized following.

308win
January 27, 2004, 06:57 PM
Remington 700BDL with 5R barrel. Around $800 plus tax. Pillar bedded, heavy barrel, factory trigger (not the best or worst - IMHO). 308WIN is only cal available in to best of my knowledge.

Surely
January 27, 2004, 07:18 PM
I have done some research and for the price nothing beats Tikka. It has a great out of the box trigger and exceptional accuracy. Nothing else comes close until you got near the 1k price range.

You dont give enough info to really suggest a calibre. A 223 is used for totally different things than a 308 normally. Are you shooting at varmints or medium sized game like deer or hogs? Is ammo cost an important factor, Are you going to load your own ammo?

Here are a few of the calibers I like.

.17 HMR is a great small animal cartridge, accuracy is excellent out to about 200 yards and you can take out animals as large as coyote if you are a decent shot. The ammo is reasonable priced and you dont have to bother reloading to be able to afford to shoot alot. Good affordable guns for this caliber are the savages and marlins.

223 is a good varmint round and in some states you can use it for deer, though i wouldnt suggest it. If you want a gun that is in the .22 caliber range that you can hunt most deer with successfully I would get a 22-250. They give you alot more OOmph and still dont kick enough to hurt a baby. They are very accurate out to 300+ yard.

243 winchester: This is a great all around game/varmint round, You can shoot anything up to and including whitetail with this cartridge. Its has a great trajectory and you can reload from 55 grains up to 107 grain bullets. It doesnt kick too much and is a good rifle to start deer hunting with.

270 is a great deer/boar/elk (not long range) gun, here you are getting out of the varmint range, but you still arent into the serious large game guns.

You want to shoot elk and moose and smaller bear? Try out a 300 winchester Mag. but if your new to the shooting business I strongly discourage you from buying anything that kicks more than a 243 or 25-06. You need to learn how to shoot a gun before you want to try guns with a painful recoil.

O you want more pain? check out the 338 and 375 calibers. If you are new to shooting you will fined a new hobby really quick after shooting these guns.

Seriously, get a gun that you enjoy shooting, not one that your afraid to pull the trigger.

I am not an expert this is just my personal opinion and of course everyone has differing thoughts on this subject.

Colt46
January 28, 2004, 01:14 AM
a more bargain brand that opens quite a few eyes at the range would be the Howa 1500 or the Weatherby entry level model(forgot the name attached to it though). They are the same rifle and are quite capable of MOA out of the box.

labgrade
January 28, 2004, 01:40 AM
Personally, I've always been a fan of the Rem triggers - just for eaze of dialing 'em in. Experienced w/a few - Rem's factorys win hands down & I'm anal about triggers. You can always buy after-markets, though.

Glass-bedding/free-floating & the always dialing in an ammo combo makes a rifle shoot to what you want it to do.

I'd bet that any production rifle can shoot 1/2"/100 yd groups with proper bullets/load combo, a decent trigger AND somebody behind the trigger that can.

The latest won't ever make a good rifle.

squibload
January 28, 2004, 10:04 AM
Best out-of the box shooter I've ever seen was a 700 Mountain Rifle in .25-06.

I'd love to pick one up for myself. Always thought that a heavy bbl. would outshoot a pencil bbl, but this one opened my eyes.

Werewolf
January 28, 2004, 10:51 AM
IMHO the Savage FP-10 with accurizer trigger is probably the most accurate out of the box rifle one can buy. They run a bit under $600 here in OKC.

Caliber wise it pretty much depends on what you want to do with your new rifle.

For pure target shooting - long range (>600 yds) I'd have to say go with the .308. For target shooting <600 yds then 22-250 or .223.

If you want a rifle good for hunting and target shooting then .308.

If you're going after varmints but may want to knock off the occasional deer then .243. For varmint only (coyote and smaller) .223 will do the trick.

I don't have any experience with the other calibers mentioned in this thread so I won't comment on them other than to say I hear lots of good things about the .270 and it is on my list of calibers to acquire - eventually.

Smoke
January 28, 2004, 11:14 AM
1. It seems I must go with a bolt action. But which caliber is better: .223, .308 or 30-06 or others?

What are you going to do with it? Is this your first rifle?

As the questions you ask are good ones, but indicate someone not overly familier with rifles my suggestions are:

1. Get a .223, they are cheap to shoot, great paper punchers and small game guns. They have little recoil and can be shot a lot.

2. Tikka gets great reviews. I've never even seen one.....Savage builds a nice gun, Remington 700's and WInchester 70's are perenial favorites. Buy as nice a gun as you can afford and still ahve money for quality glass.

3. Glass is as important if not more important than the rifle.

4. Read 3 again!

5. Don't concern yourself overly with the bedding, barrel or trigger until you have purchased a gun and shot it. And I mean shot it a whole bunch.
If you have the gun dialed in but that trigger bothers you...then fix it.

6. Go to as many gun stores as you can find nad handle the guns mentioned in my post and the others, when you pick one up and it "just feels right" or you have some other intangible connection with it...thats the rifle to get.

Good luck and happy shooting

Smoke

ShootAndHunt
January 28, 2004, 11:50 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replys.

This is not my first rifle. I have several rifles for hunting and target shooting, and I am very satisfied with them. I raised this question because recently I want to purchase a new rifle again, and since I already have an all-around accurate and reliable rifle: Winchester 70 Sporter LT in .270 (I have only complain about its somehow heavy triggers though I get used to it), the only way to persuade my family (and in some sense, myself) is that I need something different, and I am now pretty interested in the accuracy of the rifle. I want to get a really accurate rifle (out of the box and counter) and enjoy it. I want it accurate in both short and long range. (Accuracy again, but hey this t is where shooting fun begins.)

So you see, I just want to add to my collection a super accurate rifle (and around my budget range 700~800 bucks). I have heard some good thing about Remington 700 LTR or PSS, but have no any experience with them, also no experience with .223, .22-250, .308 and .30-06 caliber, though I heard some of them are very accurate. Now you guys helped me notice the savage, tikka. Thanks! but still no comments about Remington 700 LTR or PSS?

Man, when I am writing this I am just wondering: Am I a rifle nuts now?!

Smoke
January 28, 2004, 01:44 PM
Well that changes things some.

Remington makes a very good rifle out of the box. Trigger might need a little work. PSS is good. I can't comment on the LTR.

Savage is still a contender for what your looking for.
My brother is a die hard Browning guy, I'm not as big on them, I would rather have a comparable Remington. Ford vs Chevy?

.223 is still a great, cheap round. .22-250 is flatter and better for longer ranges, but it will eat barrels faster.

.308 and .30.06 are great intermidiate rounds. Either will take most North American game and are proven rounds that are great for longer distances.

Decide what you want the gun to do - then decide whether you need the quarter bores or the 30s.

Then look at any of the guns mentioned. My preference as stated, runs to Remmys, YMMV. Good luck.

Smoke

4v50 Gary
January 28, 2004, 02:08 PM
I thought 5R barrels were scarcer than hen's teeth.

308win
January 28, 2004, 06:20 PM
I thought 5R barrels were scarcer than hen's teeth.

You can get a BDL with the 5R barrel if you have patience and a dealer who will put in the effort for you. I asked the dealer to get me one in March (IIRC) and I got it in August.

uglygun
January 28, 2004, 07:06 PM
Remington did churn out a limited run of rifles with 5R barrels destined for the civilian market, esentially they looked like a stainless version of the Varmint Synthetic.

Nice rifles, I don't think a Remington 5R barrel is as good as a Mike Rock or Obermyer 5R barrel but the Rem 5R is still a darn good barrel.

Used to be a time, or so I hear, that the 700 Police rifles came with a 5R barrel but that was MANY MANY MOONS ago. Now there is little practical difference between a 308Win PSS offering and the 308Win VS offering(stock, exterior finish, and a politically correct safty shroud on bolt is about it).

A local shop here in town had one of the 5R barreled BDL rifles on their racks for a good 6 months, I think they FINALLY sold it about a month ago.

Surely
January 28, 2004, 07:34 PM
270 308 and 30-06 are all in the same ballpark, you already have one so dont bother with another at this time. Are you looking to hunt larger game than what you already hunt? Really a 270 is good for just about anything up to elk and maybe moose, personally if I was after something like moose or elk I would take my 300 wby mag. Bear or other dangerous game and Im into my 338 win mag range. Sounds like you are looking for something fun to shoot thats good for game smaller than your 270. I would look at a 22-250 if you reload, they arent too bad on barrels, not like a swift would be at least, and you can load down a bit and save one you barrel if your concerned. 22-250 is a good smaller deer, yote, varmint round, very accurate for its class if you get a good gun. 223 is the what I would buy if you dont/cant reload. Ammo is cheap and its still a adequate varmint caliber although your max range will be less than a 22-250. Want something still smaller, check out the 17 hmr rounds, they arent a long range round, but still quite accurate out to 250 yards or so if you know how to shoot, people report taking pdogs and the like out to 400 yards with them. If you are shooting small birds, gophers, rats, fox or whatever they really make them go pop at under 150 yards.

Tikka makes all these rounds and comes with about the best factory trigger I have shot, especially for the price. They are around 460 at walmart for the stainless/synthetic ones. You will pay about 100 bucks more at your local gun store. If you have a target price of about 700 bucks you can get the gun for 500 and then put a Simmons Aetec or White expedition on it for under 200 bucks and have an AWESOME setup. Simmons is about the best glass for the buck now days IMO, at least their higher priced stuff. I think cabelas has some on sale atm too if I remember right.

schromf
January 28, 2004, 07:59 PM
I normally discount just about 95% of what I read in gun rags, but there are exceptions. The February edition of Shooters ( I was bored and needed something to read on the airplane ) had a write up on some CG-63 Mauser rifles available from SARCO. These are full match rifles and the writer did some home work on these before putting pen to paper. The best group he shot was .5" @ 100 yds, with several .63-.88 groups depending on powder and bullets. These are running $595.00 in select hand picked. A similiar configuration with this accuracy would be in the $2000.00 range. The tests were done from 100 to 600 yds on this rifle and it performs. These are full match rifles built by Swedish military arsenals, and full of features. I doubt real seriously you can touch this kind of accuracy in another platform for twice the money.

LynnMassGuy
January 28, 2004, 09:06 PM
Savage.

H&Hhunter
January 29, 2004, 06:59 PM
the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever owned bar none is a Blaser R-93 Off Rroad Timber (synthetic). They can be had for around $1600.00 and they require no smithing what so ever. I also own a Styer Scout thatis ever bit aa accurate. Theyu are a bit more pricey however. i don't know what your budget is but the Blaser is a tack driving SOB.

cratz2
January 30, 2004, 12:05 PM
I'm not what I would consider an accomplished rifle shooter. I have several friends that make what I consider my 'good groups' look shotgun patterns. :p But since not many have commented specifically on the PSS you've asked about, here's my comments:

I had a 700 Police in 223. These groups were taken two years ago with a Harris bipod rest at 200 yards. Ammo was Black Hills 75 Gr BTHPs (heavy for the caliber). It was very cold and, though I was doing my best for the conditions, I have shot better groups with the same rifle and scope.

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_1381a.jpg

Further, I would add that of the lower priced rifles, the Savages are consistantly extremely accurate. I've personally seen Remingtons and Winchesters that were less than stunningly accurate out of the box but I don't think I can remember a Savage that wasn't at least 1 MOA accurate... Usually better after three or four ammos had been tried. But on the cheaper Savages, the stocks are kinda crappy and I'm still not convinced that I like the AccuTrigger. I like that it can be very easily made light, bit I'd rather not have that safety thing on a precision rifle. I've also had very consistantly good experience with Tikkas in the middle price ranges though I've never shot a heavy barrel Tikka.

Speaking of heavy barrels, I wouldn't dismiss the lighter barrels if you're looking for a rifle that can shoot a very accurate 3 shot group. If you're wanting to shoot 10 3-round groups in a half hour, then the heavy barrels start making a lot more sense but a factory heavy barrel Remington is no more or less accurate than a sporter weight Tikka.

Murphster
January 30, 2004, 01:03 PM
If you're not a reloader, the BOSS system on some Brownings allows you to tune the rifle barrel to the load.

ShootAndHunt
January 30, 2004, 01:17 PM
My budget is about $700~800 bucks for the rifle alone. Anything beyond $1000 is beyond my price range. Now I did some reading about the Savage 10FP and Tikka T3, both seem pretty nice to me. The problem is I have not handled neither of them or the Remington PSS/LTR, but I notice the available barrel length option is 20", 24", and 26", I prefer 24" since it is a nice balance. But is accuracy difference great in different barrel length? (The shoot range up to 600 - 800 yds is enough for me).

By the way, what is the 5R barrel on a Remington rifle, are they available over the counter?

I don't reload till this time since my wife cannot tolerate something dangerous (explosive) in our home. Is it really dangerous??? How much should I invest and what should I buy to reload? Hope I could persuade her one day, or I still have to pratice a lot using .22LR, .223 and 7.62x39:-).

Mulliga
January 30, 2004, 01:22 PM
Longer barrels are supposedly more accurate, but I've also heard this was a myth - the famous Steyr Scout, for example, had a 19" barrel, and it is plenty accurate (and also hella expensive).

Reloading isn't dangerous. To start, try an RCBS kit from http://www.midwayusa.com (click on "Reloading" and search for "RCBS kit"). Other companies like Lee make kits, too. It'll cost quite a bit at first, but after 1000 rounds of reloaded match-grade .308, you'll have paid for it.

uglymofo
January 30, 2004, 01:39 PM
I've just taken delivery and fired my .308 10FP. Only had time for two bona fide 5-shot groups after the all-day break-in process. .292" and .612" (without the single flier I threw it was a 4-shot group of .247") at 100yd.

I doubt very much if an OEM Remington 700 in any configuration or price can match that out of the box.

Accuracy at long ranges can suffer from short barrels--I wouldn't suggest a 20" Rem 700 for 1000yd, but at 300 yd, almost any length will do fine. The general rule (as I recall) is, for every inch lost, 50fps is lost in muzzle velocity.

If your wife is adamant about "explosives" in the home, I think you're relegated to .223, because it's cheaper to purchase (no way you're getting to 800yd though). If reloading is an option, and 800yd is the goal, I'd go .308, and if limits are ~$700, I'd choose some version of the Savage 10.

For rifle-reloading tooling up, I'd set aside $350 for everything, (scale, dies, ammo components, measuring tools, books, tumbler, etc.) based on a Rockchucker as your press. That's just a WAG for an estimate, but that's provided nothing you buy is junk, and you never buy 'up' to replace your initial purchases with better equipment i. e., better calipers, micrometer, scale, etc. You can do this for way less with a rudimentary Lee hand set (say $100 for everything less press and measuring tools), but they'll not be near 'accuracy' grade, nor time-efficient. You can save big bucks buying RCBS equipment as used (ala EBay). All of it is lifetime guaranteed except electronics, and that ploy can sometimes save up to 50%.

One thing no one's mentioned--a generally accepted axiom among serious riflemen is 'spend as much on the optics as you did on the rifle (at least)'. If you can't see it, you can't shoot it, and there ain't no miracle cure for 800 yard mirage from Simmons, Bushnell, Trashco and the like. Leupold is entry level for > 600yd, and some would say Leupold is entry level for any target at any distance, if one is serious. Burris is in my opinion, a better optic for less money.

bogie
January 30, 2004, 02:08 PM
The most accurate rifles are not "out of the box."

If you've got a grand to blow, give Bob White at Shooter's Corner (see his ad on benchrest.com under "complete rifles."

He's the largest seller of used benchrest/varmint equipment out there, and won't steer you wrong.

BillL223
January 30, 2004, 02:57 PM
I am very satisfied with my Remington LTR in .308. I covered its first 5 shot group @ 100 yds with a dime. My most impressive group was a 5 shot 3-1/2" group @ 500 yds. Rifle is consistently sub moa if I do my part and guess the wind right. With its 20" barrel and more compact stock, I find it more versital then the 700 P. The trigger was very good out of the box and was easy reduce the pull to about 2#.

308win
January 30, 2004, 08:41 PM
By the way, what is the 5R barrel on a Remington rifle, are they available over the counter?

The 5R barrel is manufactured for the Armed forces the rifling is cut at an angle (the land shoulders aren't 90 degrees) and there are five lands. The stated advantages include longer barrel life and better accuracy over the six land and LE barrels (which I believe are four land). They are not an over the counter item in the sense that a standard 700 is over the counter. Remington makes these under contract and run a limited number of extra rifles for the civilian market.

If I do my part mine will shoot under 1/2MOA and it isn't fussy about bullet weight although it seems to shoot better with Hornady than Nosler and doesn't like Reloader15 at all. It really likes 748 and BL2C though.

tbige
January 30, 2004, 09:09 PM
cookhj and Preacherman told you all you need to know in the first two replies: Savage or Tikka. Not only will be you an absurd premium for the Remington or Winchester, you'll pay even more to have a smith do what Savage and Tikka already include. For extreme accuracy, pleasant and inexpensive shooting, go with a .223. If any of your family wants to shoot, this is the round they, too, will most enjoy. Don't even think about 30-06.

lycanthrope
January 31, 2004, 12:31 AM
The Savage is a good gun. The Remington Sendero is also good. The Sendero comes with an aluminum bedded action (not known to most) and can be found with a heavy fluted barrel for around $800. If you want to modify the Remington has more choices.

leslilxbolt270
May 31, 2009, 06:12 PM
what about weatherby sub moa rifles less than 1 moa from the factory or better most are closer to 1/2 moa and that is with factory ammo dealer price under $600

JWF III
May 31, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'd probably go ahead and spend $1100 and get a Cooper Classic.

So you want your hard earned money to go to the BHO campaign? Yeah I know, the election is over, but Cooper has to put that money back in the account.

On yeah, as for the OP, I'd go with a Savage for my first choice, with Tikka being a close second.

Wyman

Uncle Mike
May 31, 2009, 06:36 PM
Savage.
30-06, 270, 7mm-08 or if you must magnum, the .300 Winchester or WSM Mags.(270 or 300)

Savage... take it out of the box, scope it, sight it, shoot it, bag critters or punch paper, but you won't have to put additional monies into it to dring it up to snuff.

Probably one the most accurate out of the box production rifles made today. IMVHO

The Tikka's are also a fine rifle, and very aesthetic.

Of course it is all opinion, and what pleases one may not necessarily please the other, hop on over to your local gun emporium and fondle a few of the different models.

Good Day- :D

FlyinBryan
May 31, 2009, 06:53 PM
the most accurate over the counter when this thread was made might not be anymore.

one of those les baer 1/2moa gauranteed rifles might be in the running though.

and i do think they were around 5 years ago too, lol.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 31, 2009, 07:03 PM
4. What are the most important features I should look at if I want a very accurate rifle?

I would say that the answer is an accuracy guarantee, so that you can exchange it, if it's not; that means:

T/C Icon
Tikka T3
Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA

come to mind; there may be others. Most Remingtons & Savages are gonna shoot very well, too, but there's no *guarantee*.

Take a look at the features of this rifle; best value going, IMO, and that's saying a lot in the ultra-competitive world of turnbolt rifles.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon.php

JDGray
May 31, 2009, 07:31 PM
Holy crap, the OP was made 5 1/2 years ago:eek:

Hope he found that rifle by now:D

P.B.Walsh
May 31, 2009, 07:34 PM
No kiddin'!!! (about finding his rifle)!!!!

Uncle Mike
May 31, 2009, 09:31 PM
Holy crap, the OP was made 5 1/2 years ago

Hope he found that rifle by now

Yea, me too.

WOW, kinda makes me stupid and contagious.:neener:

dullh
May 31, 2009, 10:15 PM
I only have experience with two makes - Remington (788 and 700) and Browning X-Bolts.

I bought an X-Bolt in 7mm-08, mounted a 2.5-10 x 50mm Monarch on it, bore sighted it and three days after purchase had it on a 100yd range. Actually dialed it in at 25 yds, took only one three-shot group, then out to 100 yds. No "running a cleaning rod down the barrel between groups" type crap - in fact no "break-in" procedure whatsoever. Fired 5 3-shot groups rested at 100 yds, the holes in 3 of the three groups all touched (actually overlapped), the two other 3-shot groups were each a jagged hole. Ammo was factory (Federal Vital-Shok with 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets)

No "break-in", nothing. Three days after purchase. New rifle, new scope. Groups that made me look good. I got bored to the point I quit shooting it and passed it over to a friend to have at it for a while. Boring repeatability. 50 rounds and took it home for a cleaning. If I had to give up all my rifles but could only keep one, the one I would keep is my Browning X-Bolt Hunter in 7mm-08.

$739 + tax for the basic rifle (no scope/rings). Limbsaver recoil pad work as advertised.

I didn't see the word "cheapest" in your thread title (the browning ain't!) so hope this helps.

Armed012002
May 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
Goes to show The High Road has been around for quite some time.

2004 doesn't seem like over 5 years ago.

TeamRush
May 31, 2009, 11:33 PM
I have to agree with the Savage varmint rifles.
Excellent trigger, very good action, very good barrel, with laminated wood stock they are real tack drivers right out of the box with proper break in and some cleaning!

J99
May 31, 2009, 11:41 PM
I'd suggest any of the Thompson Center line, Savage bolts are a reasonable price and all of them that I've shot are quite accurate

if you really want to go cheap get a New England single shot can be got in about any caliber I've shot deer in the forehead at 400 yards with my .243 version so they are plenty accurate

J99
May 31, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'd suggest any of the Thompson Center line, Savage bolts are a reasonable price and all of them that I've shot are quite accurate

if you really want to go cheap get a New England single shot can be got in about any caliber I've shot deer in the forehead at 400 yards with my .243 version so they are plenty accurate

nathan
May 31, 2009, 11:51 PM
Remington 788 in 6 mm . You can t go wrong with this setup. Leupold scopes and its all set.

IanS
June 1, 2009, 03:46 AM
Tikka T3. I have a 270 and love it.

IanS
June 1, 2009, 03:47 AM
I have a Leupold 4 x 33 on it. I use Federal Fusion 150 grain bullets

TEC
June 1, 2009, 07:27 AM
Odd. I recently had very similar "urges" for an accurate target rifle - one that was fun and fairly inexpensive, inexpensive to shoot, and capable of sub-MOA groups at 100 yards or longer. No one has mentioned the rimfire rifle I bought - a CZ-452 Varmint 17HMR. With an inexpensive trigger modification, lightening the spring, the pull is 1.3# and very crisp. It is a real pleasure to shoot, off-hand or off a bench rest.

Infectious, though -- I am now looking for a CZ-527 Varmint in .223 Both would come in within your price range, and in .17 HMR, you would have enough left over for a really nice scope and still come in under $800.

In looking at the .223, I have vague plans of buying a single stage press and some dies and beginning to hand load some more serious target loads in .223, something that probably is not practical for a rim fire, as far as I know.

I hear good things about the Savage models, too.

J99
June 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
can always pick up a Lee Enfield no.4 or Mosin Nagant for cheap and with a few mods they will shoot as accurate as any modern riffle and ammo will be a lot cheaper

J Bev
December 26, 2009, 06:48 PM
I had some time to waste, and felt a diatribe coming on... we'll see if anyone is still looking at this old discussion.

The most significant contributors to innaccuracy are: shooter's flinch, trigger effort, paralax error, and rifling twist-rate. Once you've mastered those, you can work on loading/ballistics. Then, barrel harmonics.

I have two out-of-the-box Remington 700's:

One, a 700 CDL in 300 Win Mag (26" bbl), which prints slightly over 1" patterns at 200 yards with Remington 180 grain Core-Lokt. It has a Nikon Monarch 8480 mounted on it. Combined, the rig was $1200 new.

I also have a 700 BDL in 30-06 Remington (24" bbl), which prints 1.5" patterns at 100 yards using any old junk I have put in it (with open sights, BTW)... I just mounted a Nikon Monarch 8424 taken off the CDL... and it hasn't been sighted-in yet... but, I'm champfing at the bit to see how she does.

Both of these rifles are more accurate than 80% of the "Sniper Rifle"'s I have seen advertised.

The fact is, family-inherited biases aside... the military, police, and competetive worlds all predominately use Remington 700 actions upon which to build their precision shooting hardware. And, a used Remington 700 in 308 Winch. (currently the most accurate, reasonably-priced, easily available ammo) with ample life remaining can be gotten for about $450. A decent used scope can be had for a couple hundred dollars. This combination will afford a novice "sharp-shooter" to practice out to 500 yards, without killing your retirement savings.

And, you will learn a LOT tinkering with this rifle. The barrel can be free-floated and glass-bedded, you can buy a Timney trigger group, there are some pricey ammo's available (Black Hills, Fed. Gold Medal, Hornady competition ammo, etc.)

Once you've learned to breathe, learned to relax, learned good posture, and saved your pennies... then, you can move up to a REAL shooting machine and buy a Sako TRG 42 in .338 Lapua... for about $6000 with all the "fixin's". Ammo is about $3 a hit.

Keep yer powder dry.
JB

Almond27
December 26, 2009, 06:57 PM
Holy thread resurrect this one just doesn't want to die lol I was reading right through every post and saw some of the prices and knew something was fishy then I looked at the date. I'd go with a Savage though most of them are tack drivers.

<SLV>
December 26, 2009, 11:03 PM
The Stevens 200 is a new offering and great value for the tinkerer who doesn't mind swapping out the trigger for a Basix. That would be my recommendation. People also seem to like the Marlin XS7 (XL7).

clattin
December 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
Here's your answer.....at least according to Field and Stream from 2007 and 2008. I would agree with their assesments as well....hard to beat the Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) for right out of the box accuracy.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/1000022230

Chris

Peter M. Eick
December 27, 2009, 11:08 AM
I bought a Savage recently and was very impressed at how much nicer it was then my Remington 700 BDL's. I was so wrapped up in the Remington dogma that I missed out in how much nicer the Savage's are. I especially like a trigger out of the box that is acceptable instead of the 6 to 8 lbs Rem 700 triggers. I also liked how smooth the bolt throw was. None of my 700's is anywhere near as nice.

missouri dave
December 27, 2009, 11:14 AM
I have a CZ 550 full stock in 6.5 swede with a el cheapo ncstar scope on it. I just put that scope on it to sight it in till I could get a "GOOD" scope. Turns out with good ammo it'll print clover leafs at 100 yards from an improvised bench rest. No way I'm taking that scope off. Rifle cost me about 650-675 out the door.

Art Eatman
December 27, 2009, 11:49 AM
Since the odds are that the OP has gone on and done whatever, this thread is done for.

If you enjoyed reading about "the most accurate "out of the counter" rifle and its price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!