Norinco "AR-15"

PDA

CampX
January 27, 2003, 11:16 PM
So, can anyone tell me the fit, finish, and functioning of Norinco's AR-15 clone? Or their 1911 45ACP? With the price being half of anything else comparable in that class, is it worth it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco "AR-15"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
January 28, 2003, 12:08 AM
Didn't know that Norinco made an AR-15.

gun-fucious
January 28, 2003, 12:20 AM
i have seen them on some Canadian websites
i don't think they are importable into the US

heres a picture:
http://groups.msn.com/magloc/gunsale.msnw?albumlist=2

Badger Arms
January 28, 2003, 01:00 AM
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQCvBHcSI0SRjBPgYMzPag4Mr7ZdZSWG!M4zyHV!40DMaORboQ7epl9p1OrUheaKJtaqhx75Xt!QPpSdXR12tdrm1y2bsnha72qQ6rPFvyo/DSCN2539.jpg?dc=4675326568579934108

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 28, 2003, 01:09 AM
oh joy. another item some fool will buy and transfer hard dollars to the chicoms in return for inferior pot metal.

My dad used to tell me all about the days prior to WW2 when Japan bought up cheap scrap steel from the West which they tried to return for the deposit in Hawaii and the Pacific. I guess this is like that, except the PRC acquires Western technology and dollars and sells them back to us.

I dunno. I guess I just remember stuff too well to not be suspicious.

Regards,
Rabbit.

"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until
the looting started..."

Freedom in theSkies
January 28, 2003, 02:40 AM
oh joy. another item some fool will buy and transfer hard dollars to the chicoms in return for inferior pot metal.

I own 3 pieces of "pot metal"! Oh no..I thought they were guns! - And I really don't care about their politics:what:
They also make the receivers and slides from forgings...not castings like most western manufacturers...
All of mine shoot just fine and they are a great base for a custom, because you only pay 'bout 1/3 the price of a made in ...wherever...gun.

So, can anyone tell me the fit, finish, and functioning of Norinco's AR-15 clone? Or their 1911 45ACP? With the price being half of anything else comparable in that class, is it worth it?
I have a 1911A1 Norinco, and it functions fine...I added a few aftermarket parts and now it shoot accurately too...

The Norinco M311 (AR15 copy) can be bought at www.milarm.com in Edmonton.
Talk to Gord. Please tell him Hook, Line & Sinker sent you...No, I don't get kickbacks, but I don't burn bridges either...
Anyways, Gord will look after you...
They also have SKS rifles for about 140.00...+transfer fees.
BOL:

Viking6
January 28, 2003, 08:28 AM
I know looks aren't everything, but I don't like the looks of the Norinco AR-15.

curt
January 28, 2003, 01:17 PM
Don't think much of the furniture or the rear sight.

Being the owner of a jamomatic Mak90 i'm not a big fan of norinco. I also try not to buy chinese.

Joe Demko
January 28, 2003, 01:23 PM
I'd like to get ahold of a set of that goofy-looking furniture and install it on one of my American rifles. Anybody have a set for sale?

January 28, 2003, 01:29 PM
I don't like the look of the furniture either. I wonder why they didn't just copy the handguards and pistol grip everyone else uses ? I wonder if they everything is an exact copy of American AR15s so standard accessories (including new handguards and pistol grips) will fit ?

I have heard nothing but good things about the Norinco 1911s. I once owned a Norinco AK clone. It seemed to be a quality piece. It looked pretty much just like any other AK clone I have seen; stamped metal parts and wood from old crates. I would buy another one, especially at a price near what I paid for that one.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that most western manufacturers of AR15s use cast lowers. I never researched it, but I doubt this is the case. I know that I own six American made ARs and they all have forged lowers. It doesn't really matter since the lower isn't under any stress. I just ordered a CAV15 lower where the buttstock, lower receiver, and pistol grip are all moulded in one piece from plastic.

January 28, 2003, 01:32 PM
Those handguards look like a piece of heat shrink tubing over a ribbed pipe. The pistol grip looks like a set of Makarov grips.

That link shows the price as $797, what does that come out to in US Dollars ?

The rifle shown in those pictures is in a pre-ban configuration, so we won't be getting any of those here.

Both pictures show the same side of the gun. I wonder if it has a forward assist ?

Poodleshooter
January 28, 2003, 02:08 PM
About $528 USD. Looks like small standard fire control parts. The pistol grip is obviously changed, as are the handguards. I wonder how compatible the parts are?

Freedom in theSkies
January 28, 2003, 03:07 PM
Both pictures show the same side of the gun. I wonder if it has a forward assist
Yes, it has a forward assist.
The furniture is very ugly, but all aftermarket stuff works just fine and interchanges 100%.

As far as forgings go, I should clarify that I did'nt want to say that Norinco was the ONLY maker that used forged receivers/slides, but that it is desirable to have. -Much stronger metal due to the better grain structure.

GOLO13: If I get one of these sometime soon, I would be happy to trade you some furniture...

Oh yeah, the 311 is classed as a restricted firearm and comes with a 5rd mag. as per Canadas' laws. Hi-cap (<5rds.) rifle mags are prohibited in Canada. Pistols are limited to 10rds.
There are several exceptions, like the M1Garand and Lee Enfield.

Soap
January 28, 2003, 03:32 PM

I don't have much to say in response to that but my friend Frederic Bastiat might...

When goods don't cross borders, armies will.

January 28, 2003, 04:37 PM
Freedom:
I hope you do get one and after you wring it out, let us know all the details. I am anxious to hear how they work out.

Also thank you for the legal stuff about Canada. I was wondering if this was legal to own in Canada. What about the stuff like the bayonet lug and collapsable stocks ?

Freedom in theSkies
January 28, 2003, 07:40 PM
Also thank you for the legal stuff about Canada. I was wondering if this was legal to own in Canada. What about the stuff like the bayonet lug and collapsable stocks ?

444: Yep folding stocks ARE legal in Canada and bayonet lugs are alright too. It seems that the government looks at the overall "evil factor" before placing it on the restricted or prohibited list. It's odd that the FN FAL is prohibited in Canada...Must be the ease of conversion to auto...Or maybe it's Evil factor... Hmmmmmm.
As a matter of fact, my Norinco M311 (M-14) was imported to Canada thru the U.S. and the bayonet lug was removed either at the factory or in the U.S. . The receiver also exibits a U.S. import stamp.

All I can say with regard to the low price is "She's a global economy, so if factory A can sell for less than factory B, then the consumer may be persuaded to buy from A, even if the cosmetics are lower".- Example: Springfield M1A Std. $2100.00 Cdn.
Norinco M305 (M14) $795.00 Cdn.
:what:

CampX
January 28, 2003, 11:30 PM
Yup, Freedom in the Skies, I am a Canuck too. I think it's rather ironic that we can own guns that don't need to have the label of "pre" or "post-ban", or worry about bayonet lugs or collapsable stocks. I'm wanting to take a trip to Edmonton to check out Milarms, or Lever Arms in Vancouver. I recently bought an SKS, complete with bayonet and sling for $139, and a crate of 1200 soft-point non-corrosive for $250.
I'm really itching to check out the 1911A1, and a buddy of mine is in Vancouver this week so he's gonna check it out and see if it's worth it. I figure it IS worth it, for $425 C. Or a Tokarov 7.62X25 with 1200 rounds..........so many choices.

CampX
January 28, 2003, 11:31 PM
The above picture, magazine pinned at 5 rounds, of course.....

Gewehr98
January 28, 2003, 11:47 PM

He says, as he types the message on a computer that he obviously hasn't looked inside the case yet.:rolleyes:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 29, 2003, 12:38 AM
touche`, Gewehr.

...although upon close inspection it's Taiwan and Malaysia.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Freedom in theSkies
February 17, 2003, 01:20 PM
Well, I just ordered a Norinco CQ311 on Saturday.
Should be ready for pickup be Wed. or so.
I'll post some more info once I take delivery and wring it out at the range:D
Price? $675.00Cdn. or About $391.00 U.S. NIB

MessedUpMike
February 17, 2003, 09:24 PM
Eeeeek it has a bayonet lug, Run Away Run Away :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

I'm not sure if i'd want one, but i'd check it out before I sadi a frim no.

CampX
February 19, 2003, 12:53 AM
Damn I want to buy one, but the bank account says NO. Just bought a quad and am getting another rifle built, so it'll have to wait. Lever Arms (Vancouver) had around 30 in stock 2 weeks ago, but were selling 'em fast, and said that the Norinco stuff may be getting scarce in the future. I WANT ONE (as I stamp my feet and throw a tantrum!).
PS...bayonet lugs are COOL.

Joejojoba111
June 24, 2005, 12:31 AM
These Norinco firearms fascinate me. I don't know why, but I can't understand if they are high-quality or low quality. I CAN understand why people would say they should be avoided, for political reasons. And I can understand how they could actually be low quality. But those who own them, well those who own them and admit it, always claim quality is there. Interesting.

Anyway, out of curiousity, what is the rifling rate in the AR-15 barrel? And Freedom, where is that range report? I hate to think you got low quality and were ashamed to post it.

The Grand Inquisitor
June 24, 2005, 01:14 PM
The only Chinese firearm I have is a Norinco 86S bullpup, and even though it is a very odd rifle, it is very well made and has done very well in the very limited shooting I have put it through (there are only between 500 and 2000 in the country and this one is in perfect condition).

Chinese AK's are very high quality, and some of the Norinco and Polytech models have a high reputation for quality, just like the Norinco 1911's which are known as some of the best around.

Elmer
June 24, 2005, 01:22 PM
They also make the receivers and slides from forgings...not castings like most western manufacturers...

Thank God.

Those cast Ruger's just break into pieces left and right.........

And I really don't care about their politics

That'll help you in the re-education camps.

Joejojoba111
June 24, 2005, 09:00 PM
Oh come on now. So people who protest WalMart moving into town are just crazy left-wing hippies, but people who protest Norinco firearms are patriots. :)

Where I sit quality is quality, and truthfully it looks like Norinco stuff is pretty good now days. I also believe that the import ban on them will be ending in the not-to-distant future.

joab
June 25, 2005, 12:01 AM
Those cast Ruger's just break into pieces left and right Is Ruger now a conglomerate that encompasses most western manufacturers

I own several different Norinco product

Model 97 shotgun
Stiff and coarse action but a well built gun. Fit and finish is fair to good

ATD .22

Sweet relible gun

Fit and finish good, would be excellant but for the cheapy varnished stocks

3 Norinco 1911s

Great guns solid and reliable none have ever jammed or hiccuped. But one has been disassembled since I bought it. Was going to to a build up, changed my mind and never reassembled.

Fit and finish so-so at best, but they're working guns

All were bought used and post ban.
So I don't have to justify supporting the Red army that has sworn to destroy us. Which I have to say I would have a difficult time with and probably would not buy them if they were imported new.

Joejojoba111
June 25, 2005, 01:09 AM
"So I don't have to justify supporting the Red army that has sworn to destroy us."

Well, I can't think of a better example of two countries completely co-dependent on each other than America and China. So I'd imagine that it's more of a compliment if China perceives the American armed forces as the best in the world, and thus the level to aspire to. Historically, China's 200 years of humiliation are a blight, as it was the first time conquering powers had been around when they hit a weak period. So it's only natural for China to expect to regain it's previous status in the region, but I don't think that means one should expect Chinese paratroopers to fall from the sky over the mid-west, ever. Worst-case scenario they try and muscle the USN out of the straights.

So, in summary:) China's supposed to be strong, but China and America exist in the mother of all co-dependent dysfunctional relationships, they'll always gravitate back to each other to fill their need.

joab
June 25, 2005, 01:44 AM
"[As for the United States] for a relatively long time it will be absolutely necessary that we quietly nurse our sense of vengeance...We must conceal our abilities and bide our time." -- Lt. General Mi Zhenyu, Vice Commander, Academy of Military Sciences, Beijing

Joejojoba111
June 25, 2005, 02:52 AM
Oh.

joab
June 25, 2005, 08:38 AM
Businesses in China are owned by the military for the enhancement of their military machine.
The military that has sworn to destroy America
They are not codependent on us they are simply using a brilliant financing tactic.

The first bombs they send over will have "Wal-Mart or Bust" written on them and will be dropped on Sam's house

joab
June 25, 2005, 08:40 AM
But to the original post , This discussion is going on inn other threads,

All of the Norinco guns I have owned have been excellent pieces

Moonclip
June 29, 2005, 05:01 AM
A current issue of Small Arms Review magazine has a nice article on these Chinese Ar's.

Commissar Gribb
June 30, 2005, 02:25 AM
if the chinese military is sworn to destroy america- then they are going about it all wrong by selling us small arms.

they should be selling us canisters of nerve agent or land mines.

Joejojoba111
June 30, 2005, 03:50 AM
Lol. Maybe there's a little explosive charge in everything they make, and it will self destruct when the Chinese landing forces hit the beaches.

Thx for Small Arms Review tip, I'll check that too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco "AR-15"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!