A Lee Classic Die problem when loading....

PDA

OleEd
September 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
When I'm loading my shells (.380, 9mm, 38/357, .45 and too my .223 Rem) and progress to the crimp die for all, after 10 rds I do an OAL check. I find my die setting changing from 3 - 4 thousands (Ie for .380 I set taper crimp die for an OAL of .980) and the darn thing just creeps one way or the other. I don't worry with a 1 - 1.5 thousands variation but beyond that I become concerned.

SHOULD I worry about these variations? And what is a suggested cure for this deviation? I do concentrate on a standard setting effort with each downward push of the handle after a comment made here on this blog.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Lee Classic Die problem when loading...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joustin
September 30, 2011, 11:42 PM
Make sure each lever pull is the same, if they vary in speed that can cause some variations. I use lee dies in 444 and 45acp and they are consistent if I am.

jcwit
September 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
Are you loading lead bullets?

dickttx
October 1, 2011, 10:04 AM
I think the variance in the bullet tip probably has more to do with your measurement than an actual variation in length. A bump on a flat nose or the point slightly deformed on a sharp pointed bullet will affect the measurement, although the length didn't change from where your seating stem actually contacted the bullet nose.

HOWARD J
October 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
Don't worry about variances of 3-4 thousands--as dickttx said --bullets may vary in size.
3-4 thousands is not going to make any difference in how your bullets shoot out of your gun--especially your handgun.
I don't think you are in a special rifle competition to keep your bullet 2 thousands of an inch from your lands.
Stop the worry & have fun
H

ranger335v
October 1, 2011, 03:55 PM
"... the darn thing just creeps one way or the other."

I doubt that, MUCH more likely to be the bullets. But, the rifle really doesn't care where the meplats hang in space, all that really matters is consistancy between the bullet and lands contact (aka, "jump").

Hondo 60
October 1, 2011, 04:19 PM
You didn't say what kind of bullets you use.

All of my die sets are Lee (7 calibers)
and I don't have any issue like that with lead or plated.

Make sure you don't have a lube buildup in the seating die if you're using (or have used) lead.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Lee Classic Die problem when loading...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!