help me assemble this thing!!!! Please

PDA

shiftyer1
October 1, 2011, 12:14 AM
Ok heres the problem, My wifes boss bought a .22 sa made in germany, probably made in the 70's. It's very similar to a rohm. He decided to take it apart and clean it real good. He took it apart real good and now I have a bunch of parts and a laptop trying to figure it out. I've never disassemble or put together a revolver of any kind.

Does anyone have a diagram of sorts. Please no videos my internet is too sloooow.

If you enjoyed reading about "help me assemble this thing!!!! Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNC Seabee
October 1, 2011, 06:27 AM
You'll have to post more info. Make,model, etc. Or at least pictures so someone can ID it.

WC145
October 1, 2011, 06:57 AM
This is why God makes gunsmiths. Take your bag of parts to a good one and let him put it back together. It'll probably take him less than 10 minutes and what ever he charges will be a bargain considering where you are now.

1KPerDay
October 1, 2011, 09:13 AM
The doohickey fits into the flimdoodle.

Big Juan
October 1, 2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah, the thingamabob goes inverted into the doohickey. BTW, you might need to ask your wife not to volunteer you because you "know about guns".Then take your "collection"
to a competent gunsmith, making sure the bill goes to the owner.

hawkeye10
October 1, 2011, 10:30 AM
:) I would try to do it myself. What is the fun in letting someone else do it? You might try Youtube. Most revolvers are similar. You might look on this site for a manual. Don

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

shiftyer1
October 1, 2011, 05:22 PM
I would post the make and model but the only marking on it is made in germany 22lr and a serial#. It has buffalo's on the grips if that helps.

Yes I could take it to a gunsmith but I already know how to sign a receipt :) If I can't figure it out he can take it to one if he chooses.

I tried to fit the thingamabob into the dohickey and inverted or not it just won't work:)
I put it up last nite after a while but once I figure out this^^ it'll be done!

rcmodel
October 1, 2011, 05:29 PM
It's going to be very similar to a Colt Single-Action.

Buffalo parts schematic.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=1545

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/handguns/Colt-Single-Action-Army-Models177-1.html

http://warlockfirearms.blogspot.com/2010/06/colt-single-action-revolver-disassembly.html

rc

mmitch
October 1, 2011, 06:35 PM
Give it back to the guy who stripped it, in the same condition as you receved same, or be prepare to hear how you screwed-it-up.

Mike

acmax95
October 1, 2011, 07:38 PM
This reminds me of a friend of mine. His dad gave him a Heritage Rough Rider a few years ago and he decided he needed to take it apart. He never did it get back together and ended up taking it to the local smith to be reassembled. The first thing they asked was "Why did you take it apart?"

1KPerDay
October 2, 2011, 01:06 AM
I tried to fit the thingamabob into the dohickey and inverted or not it just won't work:)
I like this guy. :cool:

Lost Sheep
October 2, 2011, 02:56 AM
This reminds me of a friend of mine. His dad gave him a Heritage Rough Rider a few years ago and he decided he needed to take it apart. He never did it get back together and ended up taking it to the local smith to be reassembled. The first thing they asked was "Why did you take it apart?"
I take apart everything. If I can't disassemble and diagnose it, I don't deserve to own it. (I don't actually live up to this motto, but it is an ideal to which I aspire.)

I took apart my first revolver (Dan Wesson Model 15) as soon as I got it home. When I told this to a gun store owner friend, he looked at me like I was crazy. I shrugged it off. A few months later, he showed me a Dan Wesson a customer of his had taken apart and which, when reassembled, dropped the cylinder and crane out whenever he tried to reload. He showed me the gun, knowing I had successfully reassembled mine.

I knew immediately what part was missing (permanently lost, too). I pulled my gun apart, we measured the half-circlip and found it to be the same diameter stock as coat hangar wire. So, I made one with needlenose pliers. We reassembled the gun with the jury-rigged part and it functioned just fine.

Of course, I strongly advised against using it for any length of time without a properly treated factory part, but at least it functioned, and considering what the part's function was, the gun was safe to use for a while.

Of course, the first transmission I took apart and reassembled (a decade and a half earlier) lost second and third gears a few months after. You gotta go slow, don't lose any parts, take notes (or pictures) as you disassemble and if you are not SURE where everything goes back together, don't reassemble until you are sure.

That's why I don't own S&W revolvers or work on my own transmissions any more. At least not without a COMPLETE manual (all I had on the three-speed was a blowapart diagram from a parts list). I respect my limitations.

Good luck.

Sorry I can't give better advice to the O.P., but had to share my opinion about the inadvisability/advisability of taking apart your own guns. I say, "Learn how". By all means, share what you can with your wife's boss, but leave any gunsmithing to licensed individuals with liability insurance. It would be highly impolitic to damage the work relationship there. If you aren't sure how the gun goes back together, give your apologies and offer to take it to a good gunsmith.

Lost Sheep

phaeton7919
October 2, 2011, 02:50 PM
We had many customers come in the shop with totally disassembled guns of all types.
The wildest tales were the ones told to me that "it fell apart when I took it out of the box".

If your local gunsmith refuses the job by the way do not despair.

The revolver probably isn't worth his time and or your money.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 2, 2011, 03:10 PM
I am extremely mechanically-inclined, always have been, since I was a child! I wired our entire cottage when I was 12 years old, put in 3-way switches and all! This was with no one ever showing me how to do it! I just had seen wiring in new homes and figured out how it works just by glancing at it!

Anyway, a good friend of mine used to watch me disassemble my guns to clean them. One night, he called me to tell me he got his old double-barrel shotgun completely apart, but now he doesn't know how to put it together!

I went over and spent an evening with him at his kitchen table, with good lighting, figuring out just which parts appeared to go together, by their wear marks, then figured out how to get the first innermost parts together, and slowly, over the course of several hours, finally had the entire gun completely assembled!

I don't think there has been one mechanical thing in my life that I have not been able to figure out how to fix or get working, when I put my mind to it.

MachIVshooter
October 2, 2011, 03:48 PM
Take your bag of parts to a good one and let him put it back together. It'll probably take him less than 10 minutes and what ever he charges will be a bargain considering where you are now.

Not if it's the same as the West German .22 SA POS I had. I felt I did pretty good selling the fugly thing for $20, since it was a freebie. If it had ever broken, I would have simply tossed it.

shiftyer1
October 2, 2011, 09:59 PM
MachIV....it probably is, he paid 40 bux for it. I think i'm going to spend some time with it tonite, after talking to the owner I got enlightened a little as to where a couple parts came from. There is no danger damaging the work relationship or being accused of messing it up. He asked me if I had ever assembled a revolver and I was straight forward and told him no. It's not like it's a cherished heirloom or anything and no rush to get it together, so I can take my time.

shiftyer1
October 2, 2011, 11:34 PM
rcmodel....the schematic of the 1873 was a big help, I was told he took some bolts out and when he separated the frame from lower end everything just fell out. This made me scared to take apart a similar gun I have to compare. After looking at the drawing I realized HIS mistake. He took out all the screws holding things in and then took out the screws for the frame.

My big confusion was (i think these are the right terms) the sear spring and the sear. So it really was the thingamabob and the orientation of the doohickey:) I knew it!!!

I wouldn't hesitate to totally strip this design down to just parts in the future. If he would have disassembled the gun and started with the frame screws it would have been extremely simple and obvious how to put back together. Paying a gunsmith for this would have been extremely embarassing!!!!

1KPerDay
October 3, 2011, 12:36 AM
Sounds like you figured it out! Way to go. :cool:

shiftyer1
October 3, 2011, 01:01 AM
Yes sir I did, always feels good when you finally figure it out:) I'm going to shoot at least 100 rounds tomorrow before I give it back....just to make sure. I'm happy for the experience because I really appreciate the single action design and I learned something.

It also killed a few hours which would otherwise have been spent wishing there was something worth watchin on tv. My sons also were there to get it done:) One throw away gun, 3 people and free entertainment/education.......PRICELESS

Kiln
October 3, 2011, 02:45 AM
Made the mistake of taking apart an RG 66 single action revolver...after a few hours I finally got it back together but vowed to never take apart a single action revolver ever again.

BHP FAN
October 3, 2011, 09:36 AM
Every black powder revolver shooter worth his salt can strip his revolver down, properly clean it, and reassemble it in less than an hour. Now you have to get one! That Buffalo Scout .22 was the right revolver to learn on, too....it's very similar to the Colt SAA and even the .36 Navy. I think the part you were calling the ''sear'' may have been the ''bolt'' or as it's more commonly known, the cylinder stop. Anyway, ''well done''!

shiftyer1
October 3, 2011, 11:59 PM
I think your probably right, as far as the cylinder stop. The other part was the spring that makes the clicks when you cock the hammer. Sorry i'm not to saavy on the correct terms.

g.willikers
October 4, 2011, 03:27 PM
Friendly, Dont' Fire,
Now that sounded like a challenge, if there ever was.
Would you like to tackle this one:
The BRM flat 16 cylinder F1 engine?

Sky
October 4, 2011, 04:16 PM
Thank goodness for youtube these days and many dedicated individuals who make videos on all kinds of stuff!! I hate separating something and watching itty bitty springs an parts go flying when there is no manual?!? Glad you figured it out..

shiftyer1
October 4, 2011, 09:01 PM
G wilikers....Sure as long as it doesn't come to me in pieces:) I think it would take more than a couple hours and alot more beer though. lol

The wife informed me NO MORE CARBERATORS on the kitchen table.....never said nothin about motors;)

gamestalker
October 4, 2011, 09:19 PM
I took a Ruger SBH to a gun smith a long time ago to have a screw torqued properely that kept coming loose. He took it out and then inadvertantly confused it with a screw that was laying on his table that went to some old Jap rifle. The end result was stripped out threads and a it mroe expensive repair, compliments of the smith.

Owen Sparks
October 4, 2011, 10:59 PM
The standard old joke is:

Take it to a gunsmith and tell him you bought it that way from a little old lady whose husband died and left it on his workbench.

jhco50
October 5, 2011, 01:48 AM
Just follow the parts blowup. Single actions are extremely simple to put back together.

If you enjoyed reading about "help me assemble this thing!!!! Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!