Is it okay to shoot bullets with corrosion?

PDA

slowr1der
October 1, 2011, 02:42 AM
A friend gave me some soft point bullets a while back that are who knows how old. It wouldn't surprise me if they are 40 years old. Anyway, they have some corrosion on them. I hit one of them with some steel wool and it didn't seem to do much so I left the rest alone. Anyway, I need to fireform some brass, and am after loading these up to use, I'm having second thoughts. Is it safe to use these? I just want to make sure the corrosion on the bullets can't cause harm to the barrel? Any opinions? Accuracy doesn't matter, I just don't want to ruin the gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it okay to shoot bullets with corrosion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TooManyToys
October 1, 2011, 06:07 AM
If the corrosion your speaking of is just fuzzy stuff on the bullet itself, just wipe it clean and you should be OK.
Dark discoloration of the surface of the brass isn't a problem either.

The stuff to be concerned about is green and /or white fuzzy looking corrosion on the surface of the brass case. The pitting assocated with this type corrosion can make the case wall weak, and dangerous to both you and the gun.

rfwobbly
October 1, 2011, 09:29 AM
I agree with TMT, except to say that pitting on the bullet is no big issue. pitting on the cartridge case is another matter.

For us to be any greater help, you need to refine your terminology for us, or post photos.

slowr1der
October 1, 2011, 12:52 PM
It's the green corrosion, but it's on the bullet. The brass is fine, as it's much newer and has no corrosion or anything. I will post photo's in a little bit.

rcmodel
October 1, 2011, 01:00 PM
If ya got'm shoot'm.

It won't hurt a thing.

rc

longdayjake
October 1, 2011, 01:11 PM
Send them to me so I can dispose of them.

slowr1der
October 1, 2011, 10:21 PM
Here are the pictures of a few unloaded bullets to show you. Some of them were worse than these, and some like these, and some nowhere near as bad.
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/slowr1der/IMG_9664.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/slowr1der/IMG_9663.jpg

Walkalong
October 1, 2011, 10:27 PM
Tumble them to clean them up, which is bad for the lead tip and bad for the media, or toss em. I would not load them as they are. Some folks would though.

rfwobbly
October 1, 2011, 11:53 PM
Rare case of chicken pox in bullets. They're worth millions on Ebay. :D

Or, merely one of the 10 oxides of copper growing on the surface of the jacket. Shoot 'em.

JohnM
October 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
Some tarnish, no big deal. They look like they might have sat ignored close to sea air for awhile.
How many you have? Pick up a blitz cloth at the hardware, give them a little polish and use them.

FROGO207
October 2, 2011, 09:58 AM
I would put the steel wool to them and load em' up. If you are not concerned about the accuracy and have a tumbler you can tumble them a bit and then load them up. I would definitely use them. I have loaded and shot much worse looking bullets with no harm to my rifle or the accuracy that I could detect.

ArchAngelCD
October 2, 2011, 01:22 PM
I agree, clean them up with some steel wool and load them up, especially since you are using them for fire forming brass.

Seedtick
October 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'd give them a little tumble and shoot em.

Seedtick

:)

THe Dove
October 2, 2011, 06:32 PM
Load and shootem!!!!

The Dove

gamestalker
October 2, 2011, 10:36 PM
That tarnish looks suspicous to me. It looks like something got sprayed on them, because the lead tips have nearly identical specks on them. I would probably tumble them before allowing them to make contact with the barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it okay to shoot bullets with corrosion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!