30 carbine revolver load w/ red dot?

PDA

JohnM
October 1, 2011, 12:10 PM
Anyone know of some loads using Red Dot?
I got lots of it and would like to get some of it used up.
I figure there ought to be some loads for a revolver, like a Black Hawk, with 100 or 110 grn bullets around, but I've been digging through all my old books and can't find anything.
I've heard 32-20 loads make a nice plinking round for the 30 carbine and some guys had worked up loads with Red Dot, but I can't find that either.
TIA anyway if anybody knows some.

If you enjoyed reading about "30 carbine revolver load w/ red dot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 1, 2011, 01:29 PM
Only thing I could find without tearing the book shelf permanently asunder is in an old RCBS cast bullet #1 manual.

And it's for a 115 grain RNFP cast bullet in a 32-20 WCF.

It shows Red Dot:
3.6 start.
4.1 MAX.

Any modern 32-20 WCF data you find should be perfectly safe in a .30 Carbine too.
The 32-20 has slightly more case capacity, but pressure limits are only 16,000 CUP and the .30 Carbine is 40,000 PSI.

I would not recommend trying Red Dot with Jacketed bullets unless you can find some actual tested data for it somewhere.

rc

JohnM
October 1, 2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks RC.
Yeah I know about tearing book shelves apart, then I start trying to remember "now did I load that one to so and so" :D
All I'll be using is cast bullets, my favorite jacketed ones are getting too spendy to go through them like they were 22's.
Those old 32-20 loads sound like a good starting point.
I've been using 5 grns with 158 grn cast for 357.
Even so I'll be years going through the Red Dot I still have :D

rcmodel
October 1, 2011, 02:32 PM
Be sure and let us know how it turns out.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Beside, it could make famous!! :D

rc

JohnM
October 1, 2011, 02:47 PM
I just found an old Hercules' guide from 1966.
It shows a 357 Mag load with a 158 grn bullet using 7.6 grns of Red Dot.
Hmm, I bet that's a potent sucker.

rcmodel
October 1, 2011, 03:00 PM
Yes sir!

These are most certainly Kinder & Gentler days we live in!

In 1979, Jeff Cooper was suggesting 5.0 Red Dot under a 160 grain bullet was a great .38 Spl J-Frame 2" Snubby load!

Thats nearly double todays .38 +P load from Alliant!

Yowser!! :what:

As an aside, I found a box of those I had loaded in 1980 a while back in the bottom of an ammo can.
I used to shoot them in a Chiefs Special & K-38.

But what to do with them now?
Shoot them in a .357, Or pull them?
I pulled them!

rc

JohnM
October 1, 2011, 03:05 PM
:D Yep :D

rsrocket1
October 1, 2011, 03:24 PM
5 grains of Red Dot under a 100 grain round nose is a nice plinker at 1400 fps. Red Dot is sort of a fast powder for this gun, but it would work. Not certain that it would work the action reliably, but the pressure is in the safe zone.

One of my favorite plinker loads for .308 is the 100g 30 cal bullet on top of 10 grains of Unique. Light recoil, low noise, accurate. It's a great intro round to get someone accustomed to a center fire rifle. In a 30 cal case, you want to keep the Unique below 6.5 grains.

JohnM
October 1, 2011, 03:58 PM
Work the action?
That's why I specified this question was for revolver loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "30 carbine revolver load w/ red dot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!