Kimber Custom II or Springfield Champion 1911?

PDA

Bobson
October 1, 2011, 05:41 PM
I've always liked 1911s and I definitely want one someday (not several, just one :P ), possibly my next firearm purchase - but I don't want to have to do much, if anything, to make it run well. Reliably enough to serve as an EDC, that is. I know 1911s frequently receive a wide variety of aftermarket/custom smith work, but from what I understand, much of this is totally unnecessary to make the guns function. If that's a myth, and I won't be able to use either of these without dumping several hundred more dollars into them, please do me a favor and burst my bubble.

I also understand that many other firearms may be better suited to fit the 'EDC' niche, but I'm 100% set on carrying a full-sized weapon (and would prefer a 1911). I've handled both of these in an LGS, and can't make up my mind. Even as far as looks, I'm torn between the two.

Price being equal (they aren't, but close enough for me), which of these two guns would you pick? Also, if you have any experience with either, I'd love to read what you're willing to share. Buds link to each:

Kimber Custom II (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534329)
Springfield Champion 1911 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/40109)

Thanks a lot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Custom II or Springfield Champion 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Apocalypse-Now
October 1, 2011, 06:16 PM
springfield armory champion-without question or second thought.

Zerodefect
October 1, 2011, 06:37 PM
"- but I don't want to have to do much, if anything, to make it run well. Reliably enough to serve as an EDC, that is"

I vote "Neither".

Look towards Colt, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Ed Brown.

Ranger30-06
October 1, 2011, 06:48 PM
There is absolutely no attraction in me towards a Kimber pistol. The old ones were nice, but the ones they sell now are overpriced pieces of garbage. I think the Springfields are pretty nice and I would buy one if I was in the market for a 1911.

If you've got the cash, go for one of the handguns mentioned in post #3.
If you want to go a little cheaper and have some money left over for ammo, RIA and Springfield are both known to be really good 1911's for the money.

Valkman
October 1, 2011, 06:54 PM
Ah, didn't take long for the Kimber Haterade to start. I voted for the Kimber because I have 3, including one series 2, a 10mm. All mine are tack drivers and this one should be no different. Note the "Match grade frame, slide, barrel, bushing and chamber".

I'm sure the SA would be a fine gun also.

Bobson
October 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
If you've got the cash, go for one of the handguns mentioned in post #3. ...Colt, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Ed Brown.

I don't. I could spring for a DW or LB someday, but it'll be years down the road before I'm comfortable spending $1300+ on any firearm. Ed Brown? Maybe as a retirement gift to myself in 30 years or so. :P

A Colt... I could manage that, but I don't want to. I'll be inheriting an immaculately well-taken-care-of 1991 Series Government someday (hopefully not soon, I can wait).

Hmm.

Byrd666
October 1, 2011, 07:33 PM
Just my two cents but, have you considered a product by STI. They are made here in Texas and the one I handled at the range, don't remember which model, was the sweetest weapon I've fired in many many years. The gentleman that let me fire his weapon said he sold his Kimber to purchase the STI because of the headaches he'd had with it as well as the CS at Kimber. Him talking. Not me. STI link below

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php

Bobson
October 1, 2011, 07:57 PM
I had not considered an STI product, because I had never heard from anyone with any experience with them. Seems to be a bit out of my price range though.

Appreciate the suggestions. I'll probably wait and revisit 1911s in the future.

Apocalypse-Now
October 1, 2011, 08:07 PM
why are people talking about LB, DW, EB, and STI? :confused:

the OP only asked about kimber vs SA, people.

Zerodefect
October 1, 2011, 08:19 PM
why are people talking about LB, DW, EB, and STI? :confused:

Fair enough.

Kimber has [awesome] customer service. Go ahead and google it. :D Good frames and slides. But really nothing else. Poor mags.

VS

Springy has clocked extractors, weirdly machined slides. And they lost all credibility with me when they made the V10. People who know guns don't port a CCW, especially a little one.

Tough choice. Of the two.. I pick the Kimber. I can fix those myself usually.

BYJO4
October 1, 2011, 10:05 PM
I voted Kimber as I have 2 Custom IIs and both have been reliable out of the box. I now have 11,000 rounds thru my 45 and 4,000 thru the 9MM.

JTQ
October 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'd pick the Kimber Custom II.

If I'm getting a "Commanderish" 1911, I want it to be a true Commander length of 4.25" not the 4" barrel Springfield uses. The proportions of the 4" pistols just don't look right to me. Springfield Champion's also don't have a bushing. That's another thing that doesn't seem right on a 1911.

ugaarguy
October 2, 2011, 02:30 AM
The Kimber Pro Carry II is a more apples to apples comparison to the SA Champion. The SA standard loaded is a more apples to apples comparison to the Kimber Custom II. I'd prefer the SA in either configuration from experience with both SA and Kimber. If you can find an older pre-Series II Kimber I'd put that on par with most of the current SA 1911s.

Skylerbone
October 2, 2011, 03:54 AM
Apocalypse-Now
why are people talking about LB, DW, EB, and STI?

The OP asked to have his bubble burst if someone with additional knowledge felt these specific models would not run reliably enough for EDC.

My feeling on most manufacturers is that they put out good and bad examples. The important thing to remember is not to marry yourself to a specific firearm. As with anything, watch for trends and try to buy something that seems less plagued with problems. I would agree with ZD (post #3) as far as preference but I don't know that I'd swear off Kimber or Springfield.

csa77
October 2, 2011, 09:25 AM
id get the kimber

unless Springfield's 2 piece barrels and glued in ejectors are what your looking for

ugaarguy
October 4, 2011, 11:57 PM
unless Springfield's 2 piece barrels and glued in ejectors are what your looking for
Because those break all the time. Perhaps the OP would rather have a Kimber with the temperamental Swarz safety that Colt rejected back in the 1930s? :evil:

Skylerbone
October 5, 2011, 12:24 AM
Happens to millions of Bar Sto barrels and floating ejectors every day, it's just not widely reported.

Damon555
October 5, 2011, 11:11 AM
Asking for advice on the internet will get you exactly what you paid for....zip. If someone hasn't owned or shot both of these examples then they cannot give you an informed decision. So take what you read with a grain of salt....even what I'm going to say....

That being said, I cannot comment on the Springfield because I have never owned nor shot one....but I can comment on the Kimbers.......I own 2, an Eclipse Custom II 45 and a Stainless Target II 9mm. They have been fine pistols and I have no complaints. 2 of my brothers own Kimbers also....One a 10mm Stainless Target II and the other has a (hold your breath) Custom II with the external extractor. They have also been excellent pistols. A good friend of mine who has worked in gun shops most of his life has a TLE that has been an excellent pistol. I work with a guy who has a SIS that has been very good to him. Notice any trends here?

I didn't vote because I have no business voting against the Springfield. I'd be willing to bet that it's a fine pistol too. All I can say is go shoot them both and then make your decision. Don't listen to us. Experience is a much better way of finding out which one is best for you.....we can only offer anecdotal, second hand opinions......

Figuring out what you like best is half the fun...putting rounds down range with a gun that feels and functions great is the other half.

valnar
October 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
I believe the newest owners of Kimbers are the reports you want to put more weight on. I think many agree that older Kimbers were better, and some of the replies in this thread could be from those owners. I'm not saying the new ones are junk, but I am saying that if you plan on buying a new one, those are the opinions you want to evaluate.

Oh....and I'd get a Dan Wesson 1911 of any flavor before either. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Custom II or Springfield Champion 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!