Major issues w/ new Ruger SR 1911

PDA

Johnny Lightning
October 1, 2011, 09:15 PM
My friend just got into shooting and purchased his second pistol an SR 1911 by Ruger. The gun looks great and seems to have a great slide to frame fit along w/ bushing to barrel fit but the good things seem to end there. We loaded up the factory 8rnd mag and started to shoot. The first round just about hit the bullseye at 15yrds then the second round was just low of the bullseye in the 9 ring then we had our first failure to eject. I cleared out the FTE and loaded the next round and had another failure to eject and then another....not good. I have a Wilson combat mag for my Springfield Loaded so we tired that and same scenario...FTE after FTE. Along w/ the FTE's I had a couple of issues w/ getting the Ruger into battery and had to use a good bit of force on the rear of the slide to return to battery. After about 20 rounds of Winchester white box we gave up and shot our Glocks...not an issue w/ either glocks :p Back to the Ruger...I also noticed the trigger was very loose and jiggled about where the trigger on my springer is not nearly that loose. My friend is going to call Ruger on Monday and send it back for the FTE and trigger issues. Any one else having any issues w/ their new SR 1911?

If you enjoyed reading about "Major issues w/ new Ruger SR 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eam3clm@att.net
October 1, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have not heard of any issues with the ruger but I dont have one. All of the reviews that I have read on the ruger indicated that it is a really nice 1911, granted most said somthing like I got my new 1911 and put 100 rounds through it flawlessly.

Johnny Lightning
October 2, 2011, 08:42 AM
I am just bummed for my friend that got a dud 1911. I know that Ruger will fix the problems and I am fairly sure it will come back working 100% it just the hassle and irriatation of have to wait to use it. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later...anyone that is a gun enthusiast is going to get a dud eventually even from a reputable company...I just thank my lucky stars it was Ruger and not another company w/ lousy customer service.

NMGonzo
October 2, 2011, 10:08 AM
Even Rolex has a faulty product once in a while.

Moose458
October 2, 2011, 10:24 AM
You're right, Ruger's customer service is first rate and they WILL make good on it, and fix anything wrong. It's too bad it has to happen, but everybody has to spend some time in the barrel once in a while.

MovedWest
October 3, 2011, 05:31 AM
You're right, Ruger's customer service is first rate and they WILL make good on it, and fix anything wrong.

+1

Might be that the slide spring needs some wear or some stiffer ammo through it to break in. If it's still giving you problems, contact Ruger. They'll make it right.

-MW

Rinspeed
October 3, 2011, 08:22 AM
Did you check the extractor tension and make sure it looks alright.

Johnny Lightning
October 3, 2011, 08:33 AM
I figured w/ all of the issues that the Ruger 1911 has that my friend should send it back to Ruger and let them fix it. Another thing I noticed when I was shooting it was that before firing the slide felt smooth and then gritty after firing? Does anyone else think their trigger is really loose also? We are going to call Ruger today and talk to their customer service...I will let you know how it goes. I have a feeling that w/ the high demand of this 1911 they are pumping them out too quickly and there are issues due to this.

Apocalypse-Now
October 3, 2011, 08:40 AM
sounds like maybe a tight extractor.

some 1911's do come with loose triggers, as long as it's not too loose, it won't cause any issues. however, if it were me, i'd try to get ruger to remedy it, or just fit an aftermarket trigger.

dtsdave
October 3, 2011, 08:58 AM
Did you lube the slide with good oil. I have Dan Wesson 1911's and that is a classic mistake. Strip it and lube the heck out of it and try again.

Nakanokalronin
October 3, 2011, 01:04 PM
Try checking the extractor tension to see if that's the issue. The 1911 has its own personality and one will not be the same as the next one, even if its same brand and model. The extractor can come incorrectly tuned from any manufacture and is one thing that has to be realized by every 1911 owner out there. I would also suggest trying some other ammo like Federal in the maroon colored box.

I have an SR1911 and have not had a single malfunction in over 2,500 rounds now.

mike.h
October 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
On a different forum a couple of the guys reported that they were having so so results with the WWB ammo. Personally my springfield mil-spec doesn't like the stuff or I, too, have a box of the so-so stuff.

Before you send it back, try a little oil on the slide and some different ammo.

rellascout
October 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
On a different forum a couple of the guys reported that they were having so so results with the WWB ammo. Personally my springfield mil-spec doesn't like the stuff or I, too, have a box of the so-so stuff.

Before you send it back, try a little oil on the slide and some different ammo.

I am not 1911tuner but I do not think this is an ammo issue. I woud check the extractor as others have pointed out.

Either way Ruger should fis it and send it back without much hassle. It is pretty diasspointing to get a new toy and have it crap the bed right out of the box.

Let us know how it turns out.

tension
October 3, 2011, 08:53 PM
How would he check the extractor?

thefamcnaj
October 3, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have a Ruger Sr40c in the shop right now for repair. It had a 15% failure rate out of the box, all FTE. I'm 2for2 with Ruger. Both pistols right out of the box.....right back to the factory. I like Ruger but probably will not buy another pistol from them.

rellascout
October 3, 2011, 09:35 PM
How would he check the extractor?

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/uncategorized/checking-the-extractor-tension-on-your-1911/

Johnny Lightning
October 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
Today at work my friend called Ruger in Arizona to see about sending back his 1911. At first they resisted in having it sent in due to not being fully "broken in" they said it should be fired 200 times before being considered "broken in". I told them that it was FTE-ing almost every round which was becoming in my opinion unsafe after about the 15th FTE. We also explained the failure to return to battery and having to use a sufficient amount of force to get it into battery. Then we put the icing on the cake and explained the loose jiggly trigger that we didn't feel was fitted correctly. At that point they said to send it in and it would take around 15-20 days to fix. I feel he just got a dud...I have a loaded springfield and have never had any of the issues he is having w/ his new Ruger 1911. Like I said before I feel it will come back working 100% in a couple of weeks.

Johnny Lightning
October 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
Ruger said we can ship from a UPS hub to Ruger...is that true? I tried to send a handgun through the same UPS hub a couple of years ago and they told me I had to go through my FFL.

1KPerDay
October 3, 2011, 10:36 PM
Trust ruger. You can ship back to manufacturer without going through FFL.

Apocalypse-Now
October 4, 2011, 01:53 AM
Ruger said we can ship from a UPS hub to Ruger...is that true? I tried to send a handgun through the same UPS hub a couple of years ago and they told me I had to go through my FFL.

local employees at some UPS and Fedex stores are clueless about shipping firearms and often give out wrong info. yes, you can ship through either.

i've shipped plenty of guns back to manufacturers through both, and personally, i would go through fedex.

RinkRat
October 4, 2011, 02:04 AM
I'd like to say congrats on the new piece but when you lay down your hard earned $$$.$$ on anything and it dissipates you it isn't a happy-time at all you buy it with a great adrenalin rush and then ... poop ... it don't work :eek:

But if you have a problem with * Anything Ruger * they will do all they can to make you a happy camper too be sure :D

Their customer service has been top=notch with me and it doesn't soften the blow but every thing man-made isn't perfect all the time :confused:

I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing what happens when you talk to Ruger

1911Tuner
October 4, 2011, 05:40 AM
Whenever there's a problem with extraction and/or ejection, the extractor is usually the cause.

Whenever there's a problem with feeding and/or returning to battery, the magazine is always the first suspect. Always.

We loaded up the factory -->8rnd mag<-- and started to shoot.

In the cop perfession...that there's whatcha call...a CLUE!

Johnny Lightning
October 4, 2011, 08:53 AM
1911 tuner we tried both the 8rnd and 7rnd then even my Wilson Combat 7rnd mag and had the same results w/ all mags. There is some sort of issue that Ruger needs to fix...figure it has a warrenty why not use it! I will keep everyone posted as to what happens and how long Ruger takes to fix it.

1911Tuner
October 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
In any feed or return to battery failure, the first suspect is the magazine. Always.

klcmschlesinger
October 4, 2011, 01:58 PM
So, 1911tuner, just to be clear, you are saying it is the magazine??:D:D

918v
October 4, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well, maybe the second clue should be galling of the frame rails. The gritty feel makes me suspect the metallurgy more than the mags.

1911Tuner
October 4, 2011, 05:38 PM
When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses...not Zebras.

rellascout
October 4, 2011, 05:39 PM
When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses...not Zebras.

I think of cows... LOL

Johnny Lightning
October 17, 2011, 08:35 PM
My friend that purchased the ruger 1911 called ruger today to check on the status of his 1911. The operator said it should be shipping out tomorrow and to that my friend asked what was found to be wrong w/ the pistol. The writeup said that they could find nothing wrong w/ the pistol after firing 50 rounds of black hills 230 grain defense ammo. My only thought to that is that this ruger is ammo sensitive or just needs more rounds of high end ammo down the tube before it will loosen up to accept winchester white box. What do you think? I am at a bit of a loss...I wouldn't have thought that the ruger 1911 would be ammo sensitive.

mike.h
October 17, 2011, 08:54 PM
check post #12. When my springfield milspec was new, I had to use plenty of oil and premium ammo. I'm around 600 rounds now and it seem to be fine.

except the WWB, it still doesn't like the stuff

9mmepiphany
October 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
The writeup said that they could find nothing wrong w/ the pistol after firing 50 rounds of black hills 230 grain defense ammo. My only thought to that is that this ruger is ammo sensitive or just needs more rounds of high end ammo down the tube before it will loosen up to accept winchester white box. What do you think? I am at a bit of a loss...I wouldn't have thought that the ruger 1911 would be ammo sensitive.

1. It is unfair to judge any gun...especially a entry level 1911...with economy priced ammo.

2. Black Hills isn't considered High End ammo. It is usually held to a high production standard, because they are a top line manufacture of re-manufactured ammo. High End ammo would be something like Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger hollow points

3. I recommend that your friend be kind to his SR 1911 and not aspire to feed it WWB. CCI Blazer is usually cleaner and less expensive as well, another good range selection is PMC

HOOfan_1
October 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
CCI Blazer is usually cleaner and less expensive as well,

Too bad their .45 ACP brass ammo only comes with small pistol primers though. Seems kind of dangerous to me for brass ammo...

DenaliPark
October 17, 2011, 11:16 PM
Even Rolex has a faulty product once in a while.
Well Ruger ain't Rolex, a far more appropriate analogy would have been, comparing Ruger quality against Hi-point quality!

DenaliPark
October 17, 2011, 11:19 PM
In any feed or return to battery failure, the first suspect is the magazine. Always.
"Bing bing bing" we have a winner! Who's making the SR1911's magazines? Also, everything on this 1911(aside from the slide is MIM)...

MarshallDodge
October 17, 2011, 11:36 PM
Make sure you have a good grip on your gun. If the recoil energy is being soaked up by your hands then the slide will not fully retract causing the issues you mentioned, especially with mediocre ammo.

MarshallDodge
October 17, 2011, 11:41 PM
"Bing bing bing" we have a winner! Who's making the SR1911's magazines? Also, everything on this 1911(aside from the slide is MIM)...
The frame is investment cast, not MIM. The barrel and bushing are machined from a single block of steel. Not certain on the other stuff.

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2011, 11:50 PM
Too bad their .45 ACP brass ammo only comes with small pistol primers though. Seems kind of dangerous to me for brass ammo...

It's not dangerous, they size the primer hole appropriately for small primers, it's just annoying if your reloading system requires a change to use small vs large primers. Some people claim there is a slight velocity drop but I haven't ever bothered to chronograph any of them.

They started doing this when the "Lead Free" ammo became all the rage. I guess their primer compounds had less lead in the small version, who knows. I understand that most of it comes sized for small primers now.

HOOfan_1
October 17, 2011, 11:51 PM
I it's just annoying if your reloading system requires a change to use small vs large primers

Or a less than observant reloader tries to cram a large pistol primer in there

DenaliPark
October 17, 2011, 11:51 PM
The frame is investment cast, not MIM. The barrel and bushing are machined from a single block of steel. Not certain on the other stuff.
Correct on the barrel & bushing, investment casting is in my opinion no rose...

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2011, 11:55 PM
Or a less than observant reloader tries to cram a large pistol primer in there

Still not dangerous unless you swing the press handle like a baseball bat. Just very annoying.

Fat_46
October 18, 2011, 12:00 AM

I LOVE small pistol primers in 45 ACP. Lets me skip changing the primer tube on my Dillon.

1911Tuner
October 18, 2011, 05:25 AM
I've had one example here. I was duly impressed with the fit and finish.

The frame is investment cast. The slide is machined barstock. All small parts are MIM, except...curiously...the sear. I couldn't find the telltale MIM sprue mark, nor a parting line.
There was some hand-fitting in evidence including...also curiously...on the trigger side of the sear feet that was been done to provide a little trigger pre-travel.

One thing that I did notice was that during the sear/disconnect step in the reassembly...orienting them in the frame gave me a little trouble. It reminded me of the same step in an Essex frame, which leads me to believe that the frame isn't quite made to original spec...and may also explain the need for altering the sear feet for trigger pre-travel.

Rinspeed
October 18, 2011, 07:29 AM
Also, everything on this 1911(aside from the slide is MIM)...

:confused: :confused:

2ndamd
October 19, 2011, 11:41 AM
In my experience,
ALL 1911 STYLE 45'S NEED 300-500 ROUND BREAK-IN BEFORE BEING RELIABLE.
Older model Colts, built for warfare are the exception.

Walt Sherrill
October 19, 2011, 12:09 PM
Deleted...

1KPerDay
October 19, 2011, 12:35 PM
In my experience,
In my experience, my 1911-style pistols (a Colt combat commander series 80 and two Canadian Para-ordnance P14-45s) have been 100% from round one.

Johnny Lightning
October 24, 2011, 04:00 PM
Today my friend and I hit the range w/ his Ruger 1911 just back from the factory. He purchased some Black Hills 230 grain hollow points which is as close as he could get to what Ruger said they fired out of his Ruger when it went back for work. Let me say the Ruger shot great! Not one jam w/ the Black Hills or w/ Winchester White Box 230 grain. The only thing it didn't like was some reloads I had w/ me...a little too light I think. Accuracy was excellent! Ruger said that they did not have to do anything to his 1911 so I guess it was the ammo and a little break in time.

MarshallDodge
October 25, 2011, 12:17 AM
That is good to hear.

I read a recent post on another site where the shooter was having an issue with WWB. It has typically run good for me but maybe there were some recent changes.

HKGuns
October 25, 2011, 12:28 AM
It's not dangerous, they size the primer hole appropriately for small primers, it's just annoying if your reloading system requires a change to use small vs large primers.

Ain't that the truth! My pet reloading peeve is picking up small pistol primed brass and getting it mixed in with my "normal" brass and trying to ram that huge primer in that little hole!

Glad the Ruger is functioning now OP......

lloveless
October 25, 2011, 02:35 AM
I had a NIB S&W 4506 that repeatedly failed to go into battery, and FTE. I went into the house and oiled it up and voila problem solved.
ll

ArchAngelCD
October 25, 2011, 03:05 AM
Am I the only one who read this thread and thought the problem could have been a limp wrist? Even a good shooter could have a bad day especially when they are used to shooting a Glock and change over to their first 1911...

ku4hx
October 25, 2011, 08:01 AM
Enjoyed reading this thread but yeah, "limp wristing" or the need for proper breaking in with heavier bullets were my initial guesses. My Ruger KP-90 will gobble up anything, but my Glock 30SF definitely needed 230 grain fodder for the first couple hundred rounds. I know, no break in period for Glocks, but well ... in the real world guns need to be shot to loosen up and "wear-fit" the parts even if it's just a smidgen.

1911Tuner
October 25, 2011, 08:06 AM

Oh, please. Seems like this one will never die.

The "Old Colts/Built for Warfare" weren't rattletrap loose when they were new. I had a 1925 commercial Government Model that had almost imperceptible movement in the slide and frame when it was dry. A drop of oil in the rails removed all play. It was unaltered, and would run with hardball...hollowpoints...and even lead 200-grain SWCs.

The pistol was designed to function. If it's built correctly to spec...feed decent ammunition from proper magazines...it will function. It's a machine. It doesn't have a choice.

Another one is the "Limp Wrist" malfunction. While the chopped variants with their grossly oversprung slides do present a problem in that area for some...a 5-inch pistol with the standard spring will function, whether it's gripped like a vise or barely cradled on the thumb and index finger. Upside down..sideways...or in-between.

Lawdawg45
October 25, 2011, 08:30 AM
"In any feed or return to battery failure, the first suspect is the magazine. Always."

Am I missing something, didn't he say that he tried 3 different magazines including a Wilson combat?:confused:

LD

Johnny Lightning
October 25, 2011, 08:43 AM
I honestly think it was a break-in issue or Ruger did a little buff here and there. I did try 3 mags including a Wilson Combat mag and had the same results w/ all of them. I tried the 2 Ruger mags when it came back from Ruger and they both worked great. As far as limpwristing goes, I shoot my Springfield loaded w/ no limpwristing problems and glocks also without any issues. The only thing I can narrow it down to is break-in? It was also cleaned and lubed originally and taken apart twice during the first time it was shot. It doesnt really matter now cause it works great and has fantastic accuracy! Oh yea my friend also purchased a GP100 6" over the weekend and that is also one hell of a gun!

stevekozak
October 25, 2011, 09:04 AM
I honestly think it was a break-in issue or Ruger did a little buff here and there. I did try 3 mags including a Wilson Combat mag and had the same results w/ all of them. I tried the 2 Ruger mags when it came back from Ruger and they both worked great. As far as limpwristing goes, I shoot my Springfield loaded w/ no limpwristing problems and glocks also without any issues. The only thing I can narrow it down to is break-in? It was also cleaned and lubed originally and taken apart twice during the first time it was shot. It doesnt really matter now cause it works great and has fantastic accuracy! Oh yea my friend also purchased a GP100 6" over the weekend and that is also one hell of a gun!
Yep, my best guess would be a break-in and lube issue. I had a new Kimber fullsize a few years ago that had some similar problems. Gunshop owner told me(and I qoute) "oil her up like a whore in Thailand, shoot the @%$# our of her". I did just that and about 100 rounds later, it was running like a dream with any ammo. My guess would be that Ruger did just that with the gun while they had it. A lot of 1911s like it wet, especially in the beginning.

1911Tuner
October 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
Am I missing something, didn't he say that he tried 3 different magazines including a Wilson combat?

Yes. You did.

The magazine is always the first suspect. Always.

sargents1
October 25, 2011, 11:13 AM
This sounds like an ammo problem. Maybe someone at the warehouse dropped the pallet with his box of ammo and squashed the ammo box you friend bought. Stranger things can happen.

I am kind of surprised that you and your friend didnt try several different brands (and different boxes / lots ) of ammo before sending it to Ruger.

My buddy has a SR1911 and it shoots WWB just fine. Shoots reloads too.

Anyway, ammo can come from the factory with some pretty wild defects. I got a box of Tula .223 that had a round in it with a gouge that ran around the base of the cartridge and then half way up the side. If I had shot that round, it probably would have taken my gun apart.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g359/Sargents77/General%20Gun%20Pics/DSC01619.jpg

buckhorn_cortez
October 25, 2011, 11:47 AM
"Limp wrist" seems to be the malfunction reason du jour on gun web sites. I've purposesly tried to make my 1911's malfunction by extreme limp wristing the gun - they always work.

If the gun is setup correctly, it should not malfunction from limp wristing during recoil. This is not only true of 1911's, but other guns that I own as I've tried limp wristing a Springfield XDm and an FNX-9 - both of those guns worked just fine.

Creature
October 25, 2011, 12:16 PM
Kinda funny that your friend didnt try different (better) ammo during the first range session before declaring the Ruger to be a lemon...

ET
October 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
Well all I know is that a $700+ gun should be able to fire most any ammo out of the box including WWB. I can understand a Hi-Point having a 200 round break-in period, but a $700 gun should have had the slide to frame connection lapped at the factory & not rely on shooting the gun to lap it. If they indeed think that it is OK to send out a gun that doesn't work well until it has had that many rounds throught it, then I really don't want it. None of my guns, includling Glocks, M&Ps & even my Taurus guns, had to have 200 rounds shot through them in order to work effectively.

I just bought a Springfield Range Officer & immediately stepped into the range at the store. The only thing I did was inspect the barrel to be sure it was clear, oiled the barrel hood & the rails, then shot the heck out of the gun. The only problem I encountered was the fact that my wife shot it first and left her ring on her finger:what:. Now the front strap is boogered up pretty bad...but the gun never had the first FTF & I used nothing but WWB ammo. Just saying...

Johnny Lightning
October 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
I probably should have suggested a different ammo when it started to malfunction but have never had an issue w/ winchester white box w/ my springer or glocks or any other guns that I have shot. I have heard of one bullet being out of spec but a whole box?...guess it can happen if they drop it on the factory floor!! My friend and I did shoot the remainder of the original box of wwb when the ruger 1911 came back from being looked over and it shot the wwb just fine.

mastiffhound
October 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
I have two Rock Island Armory 1911's. One I bought, the other went to me when my brother was killed. From day one nothing but complete reliability. My RIA was so reliable my brother bought his. I think we payed around $500 for them. I do know for sure ruger will make it right. They just made it right for me>

Hunterdad
October 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
Did he bother to clean it before he shot it for the first time?

exavid
October 27, 2011, 11:38 PM
In the OP Johnny mentions the problem getting the slide back into battery. A couple posts later he mentioned that after firing the slide action felt gritty. Both tend to indicate a lack of cleaning, possibly some manufacturing debris hidden in the action being jolted around in firing and getting into the slide rails.

burk
October 29, 2011, 12:14 AM
I couldn't disagree more about break in. As someone who has owned several 1911s I find the "better" guns tend to require more break in. Glocks, M & P's are great guns but better 1911s come with an entirely different level of frame to slide tightness. I would not consider any 1911 ready for carry until it had at least 500 rounds thru it. Glocks on the other hand should be broken in by 200 rounds. ALL semi-auto's require some break in, just because some shoot great out of the box doesn't mean some hiccups can't develop.

As far as the gun in question, it sounds to me like a lube or ammo issue. 1911s like to run wet unlike many semi-auto's, especially during break in. On most 1911s the first thing I do is junk the factory mag and replace with a Kim pro-mag or Wilson mag. As far as ammo, I love Blazer Brass for range ammo, seems to be reel consistent and fairly cheap.

ReloaderEd
October 29, 2011, 01:46 AM
I agree, let Ruger fix it they have a good reliable warranty and service department. Off hand does anyone know who makes the pistol for Ruger? that is the only part about their new 1911 that scares me from getting one. Be safe!!!

9mmepiphany
October 29, 2011, 02:52 AM
Why do you think they aren't making it themselves?

They are being made just outside Prescott AZ

dprice3844444
October 29, 2011, 03:13 AM
try some amsoil water proof wheelbearing grease on the slide rails,it's synthetic.works great on m9 slides

Miami_JBT
October 29, 2011, 08:14 AM
I own a SR1911 and it works like a charm. Yours is a fluke... Ruger will fix it asap

Miami_JBT
October 29, 2011, 08:18 AM
Ruger is making the gun themselves. They've been making 1911 frames and parts for a while for at their Pinetree Casting Facality. They even made frames for Caspian.

Ruger is making everything in house except the mags amd sights. Mags are made by Mec-Gar and the sights are Novaks.

Johnny Lightning
October 29, 2011, 08:42 AM
All that mattered to me is that my friend got his sr1911 back from ruger and it worked properly shooting the black hills ammo and the wwb too. Ruger stood behind their product and fixed whatever was wrong. Possibly nothing was wrong and it needed to be cleaned a little bit better on my end :o or it just needed some more lube :p or it needed a little more break in which ruger took care of. :) Next time I get a 1911 - hopefully a Les Baer Premier II, I will try diff. ammo before figuring there is a problem w/ it. Although you are not supposed to clean or take apart a les baer before you shoot 300-500rnds. :D

Johnny Lightning
October 29, 2011, 08:44 AM
although lately I have been dreaming of my friends new 6" gp100...that is one sweet revolver!

harmon rabb
October 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
They'll fix it. No worries.

Walt Sherrill
October 29, 2011, 11:06 AM
I couldn't disagree more about break in. As someone who has owned several 1911s I find the "better" guns tend to require more break in. Glocks, M & P's are great guns but better 1911s come with an entirely different level of frame to slide tightness.

Apples and oranges.

Polymer-framed guns NEVER have the type of slide/frame tightness traditionally sought in 1911s, but that doesn't make them less accurate.

Barrel-to-slide tightness/lockup consistency is arguably far more important than slide-to-frame tightness when seeking accuracy -- and most quality polymer-framed guns match most quality steel guns in that regard -- and are just as accurate, if you use the SIGHTS!!

My biggest "problem" with 1911 reliability has always been magazines -- which isn't really a 1911 problem.

I know of several folks locally who have Ruger SR1911s that have been very reliable from the first shot, and several who have the higher-level Wilson 1911s that have also been reliable from the first shot.

I think it's far too easy to over-generalize on this subject.

AmericalJoe
November 5, 2011, 09:50 PM
I bought a SR 1911 about a month ago. At the range it cycled and fired perfectly with Fed, Rem and reloads. The only issue I had with my SR 1911 was the magazine release would sometimes hang up and the magazine would not lock in place. When this would happen you would have to push the magazine release from the right side of the gun to get it to snap back in place. When I looked closer at this you could feel the release was not as smooth as it should be.
I sent it back to Ruger in Prescott Az to be repaired. They replaced the magazine release and now it seems to work perfectly. Ruger paid postage both ways and the whole process took 16 days from when I shipped it until I received it back. I was very happy with their service.

Johnny Lightning
November 5, 2011, 11:19 PM
I just had some work done on my Springer Loaded...new Storm Lake match barrel and bushing, trigger job, and new fiber optic front sight and would have to say the ruger still comes close to the accuracy I am getting out of my revamped Springer. I was shooting my Springer at around 12 yards free hand and was ripping a single ragged hole w/ WWB and then shot the Ruger sr1911 with almost the same results. I have to say that the Rugers accuracy is VERY impressive for being a totally stock 1911! I still think the trigger on my friends ruger 1911 is too loose...I can easily jiggle it back and forth from side to side and there is no comparison to the awesome trigger my Springer now has...breaks like glass! I think my friend is going to have some work done on his sr 1911 and one of the items is a trigger job. My friend wants the two tone look like the new TALO edition sr 1911...is there any way to coat the stainless steel slide w/ some sort of bluing to get that effect? Maybe blackened stainless steel?

ajd1911
November 6, 2011, 08:25 PM
Johnny I hear ya. Your situation is simular to mine. I had this ruger ordered for 6 months before I and finally got frustrated and just bought one online and paid about $780 after shipping and transfer (over spent). This was my first 1911 and I knew about breaking it in but I too went with the cheap 100rd WWB. My SR1911 cycled the rounds but it seemed pretty unaccurate and slide failed to stay open after the last round every time. After shooting the entire box I noticed my gun was filthy. I cleaned the hell out of it and oiled it up real good and shot 2 boxes of 230 grain federal out of it this week. Problem solved. Shot great and seemed pretty acurate (I was blowing apart left over pumpkins so I'm not sure how accurate it was other than I was hitting them). I too agree that the trigger seems loose. I think I am going to get a after market one.
FYI my buddy I shot with this weekend bought a SR1911 as well and he said the trigger would stick. I guess he had to tap it to get it lose??? Sent it back to Ruger and I guess that tap voided the warranty.... Ruger told him to pound sand. He traded it out for a Glock 22. I can tell you they lost one customer for life. Mine seems good so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Major issues w/ new Ruger SR 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!