Talk me into a handgun.

PDA

burntgraphite
October 2, 2011, 12:17 AM
Okay, here's the deal; I will soon be in the market for a handgun. I've shot plenty of different models, and I own quite a few rifles. I'm not terribly interested in using my handgun for self defense, except possibly as a hiking gun. I am in the military, so I don't have a ridiculous amount of money...but who does these days?

So here's my list;
1. Good, comfy grip. 1911s feel good, so does the 5.7. Glocks do not.
2. Not too expensive to shoot.
3. Durability. And I don't mind if I could kill someone by throwing it at them, but that's not necessary.
4. Not ugly as sin. It doesn't have to be made of redwoodburl and titanium.
5. Will last me 80 or 90 years :)
6. At least as accurate as the p229 that I shoot at work . Obviously any gun can be more accurate than I am, but not something that is lousy off like the judge.
7. Some options for bling.
8. It doesn't have to stop a bear. I'm not dumb enough to try and kill one when I'm not hunting it. I go around.
9. Good holster and mag pouch options for the MOLLE system.

I'm not trying to buy one this month, but I do want some good options. So talk me into your favorite sidearm!

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me into a handgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burntgraphite
October 2, 2011, 12:20 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention; I own 5 rifles (3 bolt and 2 semiauto), and I shoot handguns often. But this would be my only handgun...so far.

RNB65
October 2, 2011, 12:24 AM
Not sure about holster options, but the CZ 75 meets all the other criteria. Not too expensive and built like a tank.

http://www.cz-usa.com/assets/cache/76/65/7665f8ddf20d19dc0f275a2422bb3e2c.png

aHFo3
October 2, 2011, 12:29 AM
How bout a police trade-in S&W 5906 from Buds? The price is right and they have a great reputation.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411544529

WinThePennant
October 2, 2011, 12:36 AM
What's wrong with owning a P229 for home use? I say that because you're already familiar with it since you use it for work. And, it meets all your other criteria.

Come to think of it, I think the Sig P229 is the perfect choice given your punch list.

But, let's see.

Glocks are out.

You like 1911's, but want something that is inexpensive to shoot. So, that knocks out .45s.

Here's what comes to mind.

1. Sig P229 (9mm).
2. Springfield Armory XD9.
3. Sig P226 (9mm).
4. Browning Hi-Power (9mm).

burntgraphite
October 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
I guess I was disregarding the p229 because of the dak trigger. Any way to put a 1911 style trigger in the 229?

miles1
October 2, 2011, 12:55 AM
What is the max amount your willing to spend?

burntgraphite
October 2, 2011, 01:12 AM
Max amount I'm willing to spend? I'd prefer not to exceed 800. But if it's something thats... AWESOME... I'd probably go higher. But I am cheap, so if I could get a wilson combat 1911 for about 25$, that would be just about right.

WinThePennant
October 2, 2011, 01:31 AM
I guess I was disregarding the p229 because of the dak trigger. Any way to put a 1911 style trigger in the 229?
The P229 also comes in the standard DA/SA that is Sig's trademark.

JROC
October 2, 2011, 03:01 AM
It sounds like you're a woodsman. I recommend get yourself comfortable with Glocks as there's not a better semi-auto woods gun than a G20.(preferably a G20SF unless you have big hands)

I recommend this gun all the time and may start to sound like a broken record, but it's by far my favorite handgun I've ever used. To me it just does everything right.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_43/products_id/56858

Factory it packs up to 16 rounds of powerful 10mm goodness in a reliable, easy to use, and very manageable package. You can abuse the heck out of it and treat it like crap, and it's going to hold up and stay looking new better than most any other brand of gun out there. Some people hunt hogs and whitetail with the thing, and if I did have to try and stop a bear with a semi-auto pistol the only gun I would pick over it would be a Desert Eagle in .44Mag, or .50AE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSq96T-UrJ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qes_vlx9orU&feature=related

If you want something inexpensive to shoot, but big enough for a SD round then buy a 9mm. Larger handgun rounds are costly to shoot.

miles1
October 2, 2011, 07:59 AM
Okay, here's the deal; I will soon be in the market for a handgun. I've shot plenty of different models, and I own quite a few rifles. I'm not terribly interested in using my handgun for self defense, except possibly as a hiking gun. I am in the military, so I don't have a ridiculous amount of money...but who does these days?

So here's my list;
1. Good, comfy grip. 1911s feel good, so does the 5.7. Glocks do not.
2. Not too expensive to shoot.
3. Durability. And I don't mind if I could kill someone by throwing it at them, but that's not necessary.
4. Not ugly as sin. It doesn't have to be made of redwoodburl and titanium.
5. Will last me 80 or 90 years :)
6. At least as accurate as the p229 that I shoot at work . Obviously any gun can be more accurate than I am, but not something that is lousy off like the judge.
7. Some options for bling.
8. It doesn't have to stop a bear. I'm not dumb enough to try and kill one when I'm not hunting it. I go around.
9. Good holster and mag pouch options for the MOLLE system.

I'm not trying to buy one this month, but I do want some good options. So talk me into your favorite sidearm!
XD 9 or 45 maybe? has a 1911 style grip,very reliable,room for accessories,in the $450-500 price range.

Coming from left field but any thought about maybe a good 357 revolver?If so then a GP 100.Its built like a tank,extremely reliable,can shoot 38 or 357's.theres room to customize sites and grips,might stop a bear!?

devildog4329
October 2, 2011, 08:00 AM
Sig SP2022. Double/single action. 15 rounds of 9mm. Not sure of the capacity on the 40sw. really nice for the money. Can be found for between 400-500.

MachIVshooter
October 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
The P229 also comes in the standard DA/SA that is Sig's trademark.

And one of the more obnoxious triggers out there, IMO.

Sigs are good guns, but the triggers always felt cheesy to me.

IMO, the S&W 5906 or CZ-75 are the way to go with these requirements, the 5906 getting the nod for cost and durability, the CZ having more aftermarket support.

If you have larger hands, the Tanfoglios (http://www.google.com/search?q=EAA+witness&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=1&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GWYE_enUS348#q=EAA+witness&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=1&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GWYE_enUS348&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=a1ed8864cea74acd&biw=1429&bih=537) are CZ copies with larger frames and more options for customizing (see Henningshootsguns.com). They can also be had for ~$400 new in basic trim, and can be switched between .22 LR, 9x19, 9x21, .38 Super, .40 S&W, 10mm and .45 ACP for about $250/caliber:

Conversion kits (http://www.eaacorp.com/parts-hand-gun-conversion-kits.html)

WinThePennant
October 2, 2011, 12:57 PM
And one of the more obnoxious triggers out there, IMO.

Sigs are good guns, but the triggers always felt cheesy to me.

IMO, the S&W 5906 or CZ-75 are the way to go with these requirements, the 5906 getting the nod for cost and durability, the CZ having more aftermarket support.

If you have larger hands, the Tanfoglios (http://www.google.com/search?q=EAA+witness&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=1&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GWYE_enUS348#q=EAA+witness&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=1&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GWYE_enUS348&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=a1ed8864cea74acd&biw=1429&bih=537) are CZ copies with larger frames and more options for customizing (see Henningshootsguns.com). They can also be had for ~$400 new in basic trim, and can be switched between .22 LR, 9x19, 9x21, .38 Super, .40 S&W, 10mm and .45 ACP for about $250/caliber:

Conversion kits (http://www.eaacorp.com/parts-hand-gun-conversion-kits.html)
I don't think your suggestions meet his extensive list. Every one of the guns mentioned in my list meet his requirements.

If you want your Sig DA/SA to be smooth like butter, then you can get a trigger job done at Sig that will lighten the DA and smooth out the SA. The SA, by the way, is typically outstanding on Sigs. My P226 is simply awesome. If you want the DA first pull lightened and smoothed out, then that can be done for a reasonable fee.

sigarms228
October 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
I don't think your suggestions meet his extensive list. Every one of the guns mentioned in my list meet his requirements.

If you want your Sig DA/SA to be smooth like butter, then you can get a trigger job done at Sig that will lighten the DA and smooth out the SA. The SA, by the way, is typically outstanding on Sigs. My P226 is simply awesome. If you want the DA first pull lightened and smoothed out, then that can be done for a reasonable fee.

I agree.

I have several SIGs and the triggers on them are all outstanding and quite a bit better than any CZ I have ever tried. My son has a CZ SP01 that has over 1000 rounds and the trigger does not compare.

I was at LGS today and handled a really nice looking CZ 75B for $399 that the outside of the barrel showed had been fired a fair amount. I tried dry firing and the SA was not good so I handed it back to him. I ended up buying a new old stock P229 in .357Sig with triple serial numbers for $529 and the trigger was amazing. I can't wait to pick it up later in the week. SIGs have really spoiled me for a nice trigger though the Walther PPQ and P99 AS are also outstanding right out of the box.

Since the OP is already used to the P229 I would recommend a DA/SA SIG P229 or a P226. I would also recommend looking into a Walther P99 AS or Walther PPQ if he can live with their limited third party support.

MachIVshooter
October 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
I don't think your suggestions meet his extensive list.

Well, by all means, enlighten us as to what a P229 does that a 5906 or CZ75 doesn't for half the cost. Aside from no decocker on the CZ, they have all the same features.

And I didn't say Sig triggers are stiff or rough; I said obnoxious in my opinion. They're quite spongy/springy and undefined.

burntgraphite
October 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
I looked at the sig military price list. Out freakin standing. Looks like I will be going with a sig; now I just need to figure out which one.

Sky
October 2, 2011, 03:01 PM
American Classic ll around $400 in 45 acp
RIA same price different finish
5906 or 6906 police trade-ins less tha $330
Many choices in the 3 to $400 range. Think all of these will out last you or me. Good luck.

WinThePennant
October 2, 2011, 08:56 PM
Well, by all means, enlighten us as to what a P229 does that a 5906 or CZ75 doesn't for half the cost. Aside from no decocker on the CZ, they have all the same features.

And I didn't say Sig triggers are stiff or rough; I said obnoxious in my opinion. They're quite spongy/springy and undefined.
A CZ doesn't have nearly as many after-market options. Sig and Glock are probably the two Top-Dogs in this area, with Glock being the clear #1.

WinThePennant
October 2, 2011, 08:57 PM
I looked at the sig military price list. Out freakin standing. Looks like I will be going with a sig; now I just need to figure out which one.
For what you're looking for, I'd say either P226 or P229. Can't go wrong with either one.

dcarch
October 2, 2011, 09:04 PM
I would go with the CZ 75 or the SA XDM.

Quiet
October 2, 2011, 09:14 PM
Another vote for the 9x19mm Browning High Power.

sigarms228
October 2, 2011, 09:16 PM
Wise choice!!

P226 is pretty much a little bigger version of the P229. Either are phenominal pistols and well worth the price and your discount makes it all that much sweeter.

MachIVshooter
October 2, 2011, 10:53 PM
Sig and Glock are probably the two Top-Dogs in this area, with Glock being the clear #1.

Yeah, there's not much out there for the 1911 :rolleyes:

There is a ton of support for the CZ/TZ pistols as well.

He also never said anything about wanting to alter the firearm, just wanted good holster and mag carrier options. Plenty for the CZ there.

valnar
October 2, 2011, 11:08 PM
The first handgun I ever purchased, out of extensive research, was the SIG P229 in 9mm. It's still one of my favorites. It may not have the bling factor, but its a handsome gun in a utilitarian way.

If you want something cheap to shoot, then you should probably stick with 9mm. Good for self-defense, but it may not do much to any animals you encounter (but that's what your rifles are for). If bling is important and you like the 1911 styling and trigger, try a Browning Hi-Power or a 1911 in 9mm.

tnek13
October 3, 2011, 12:16 AM
You will not go wrong with a P229 and they have several models to chose from - I like the looks of the Enhanced Elite. I would have tried to talk you into a 1911 in 9 mm, but most of the ones I would have suggested run more than the Sig.

ricebasher302
October 3, 2011, 12:22 AM
Beretta 92/96?

burntgraphite
October 3, 2011, 01:50 AM
I'm not gonna lie; I love the 1911. I really do. And the ergonomics on it are very comfy for my big ham hands. And my wife really likes shooting .45, which blows my mind, but I certainly don't complain. And she isn't 200 pounds, either... but that's neither here nor there. My only catch with the 1911 is the cost. I know you can get a Para or a Taurus for under $600, but I've never owned a Para, and the only Taurus I had was a revolver which had a tendency to fall apart when reloading, so I am very hesitant to buy one.

And Kimber is spendy, but nice, and Wilson Combat is spendy, but nice... I'm on an enlisted budget, so I don't have a surplus of gun cash. That's why I'm researching now for tax return time.

I've shot the m9 service pistol , so I'm familiar with the Beretta. But is there any particular reason to choose it over, say, a p220, 226 or 229?

MachIVshooter
October 3, 2011, 02:10 AM
My only catch with the 1911 is the cost.

New Kimber Custom II: ~$700
New Remington R1: ~$600
New Springfield Loaded: ~$700
New Ruger SR1911: ~$650
New Colt 1991: ~$750

New Springfield Mil Spec: $500
New RIA GI model: $400

Less basic Kimbers and Colts turn up in the $600-$800 range all the time, too.

Kiln
October 3, 2011, 02:56 AM
The XD service or XDM pistols are both really good pistols with high capacity and they're comfortable...at least to me anyways.

I'd check them out at least and see if you like them. They're pretty affordable and would serve your needs well.

burntgraphite
October 3, 2011, 03:11 AM
Well shucks. Looks like my options are expanding then.

mkvtaco
October 3, 2011, 03:50 AM
Get the Sig SP2022 9mm,40s&w, or 357sig (the later 2 can swap barrels) for $400 :what: and use the rest of the money you saved to buy ammo!;)

or get the fnh fnx9/40 for $550 Just as good as the sig P series guns unfortunately you missed the $100 off for military they ran last year.

Dr.Rob
October 3, 2011, 04:02 AM
CZ-75 SA.

Problem solved.

Ro1911
October 3, 2011, 05:37 AM
I own a 226 and 229, I recently cleaned house on my gun collection and these were the only two semi auto pistols I kept besides a couple of mausers that are older than my great grandfather.

They are both excellent hand guns, but if I was going to pick just one it would be the 226.

DrewBegley
October 5, 2011, 04:23 PM
Maybe I'm a little late, but I saw a post on the Beretta 92/96. I mean they make a .40 Beretta, I have a .40 G-22 for every day carry and 23 for work and they fire the .40. There's a HUGE selection of .40 self defense ammo and target that won't break the bank.

Bozwell
October 5, 2011, 06:15 PM
Sigs are very fine guns. A buddy of mine recently bought a P229 E2 and there are lots of good things to say about that gun. I was impressed with the trigger out of the box and the fit/finish is very nice as well. The E2 grip on the P229 is a bit too small for my tastes and the pistol has a good bit of muzzle flip. We've also found it to be a bit less forgiving when it comes to ease of shooting. That said, it's run great thus far. At this point he's probably put a couple thousand rounds through it with only a single malfunction (and that was due to his wrist more than anything else).

A CZ can be a fantastic option but in my opinion they really shine with a trigger job and a lengthy break in period. Some of them can be quite rough out of the box and it takes some break in and/or work to really transform them into the gem that they can be. If you want something that will be perfect out of the box or if you just won't be able to put a lot of rounds through your new purchase, a non-custom shop CZ may not be the best option for you (and the custom shop ones may be a bit higher than you're looking to spend). If you can break it in and have some work done on it (or start with one of the custom shop variants), the CZ can really be a fantastic option.

I don't mean to try and draw you away from CZ firearms but rather I'm just trying to be honest with you. Some of them can be a "diamond in the rough" and can have some rough triggers out of the box that may require some TLC to get them performing at 100% of their potential. All that said, my friend with a P229 openly admits to liking my Shadow custom better than his Sig (and he shoots better with mine too, even without much practice on it) and has considered trading the Sig for one on multiple occasions.

In the end, your best bet is to shoot as many different guns as you can (rentals help with this) and pick what YOU like. That's really the best way to ensure that you'll be happy with your purchase at the end of the day.

miles1
October 5, 2011, 06:17 PM
The XD service or XDM pistols are both really good pistols with high capacity and they're comfortable...at least to me anyways.

I'd check them out at least and see if you like them. They're pretty affordable and would serve your needs well.
I would again have to echo kiln.The Xd's are worth a look at.I just bought a XD45 and love how well it works(normally im a glock fan).Im getting better groupings then with my glock.

Ed4032
October 5, 2011, 06:20 PM
S&W M&P. Absolutely love mine. Lot's of options available and the very best Cutomer Service in the business, if you need it.

Thompsoncustom
October 5, 2011, 07:58 PM
I would say the CZ 75b, If you haven't shot one you need to they are great pistols and it will out last you and probably your kids. Like said above out of the box some times the triggers sucks but with a little time or smithing they can be amazing. My CZ 75b SA is around 3lb SA and the DA is around 6lb both are smooth with a crisp break I don't think you could want a better trigger. Now I have done a lot of trigger work to mine but a stock guns it's bad after 1000 rounds. They also can be had in a few different finishes and options, Black, Nickel, stainless, DA/SA, SA only, decocker, so pretty much all the standard stuff. And if you want to change something about the pistol CZ custom and CGW makes some really good custom parts to fit the gun to whatever your needs and likes are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me into a handgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!