Boresnake issue for .22

PDA

Batty67
October 3, 2011, 10:16 AM
I know, on a scale to 1-10 on problems, this is a 1.5 or so. But: I cannot get the boresnake supposedly for a .22 LR down the barrel of my Ruger 10-22. I know they don't need cleaning that often, but I did pay like $12 for the boresnake and it simply does not get more than half-way down the barrel (and I don't try to force it). My .30 works like a charm on my modern M1 carbine.

Is this a common problem or did I get an overly large and/or mislabeled boresnake?

If you enjoyed reading about "Boresnake issue for .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AKElroy
October 3, 2011, 10:34 AM
How did you get it back out?? I have several boresnakes and several .22's; they are tight but come right out. Are you dipping the brush strip in some Hoppe's first?

RaceM
October 3, 2011, 10:37 AM
If it's that tight you prolly wanna tie a cord to the end, drop the cord through the barrel and pull. Sail twine or similar works.

oneounceload
October 3, 2011, 10:46 AM
drop the cord that came on it through the barrel, make sure there is some solvent on the brush. Stand on the cord and pull the gun up (watch for lights or ceiling fans), as it comes out, drop down, replace your foot and do it again until it clears the barrel.

They're tight in small bores, but not impossible

Hizzie
October 3, 2011, 11:02 AM
Time to hit the gym if you can't muster up the strength to pull a boresnake down the barrel.

Princi
October 3, 2011, 11:07 AM
I like Boresnakes, but I'm not wild about the embedded brass brushes. So while watching football, I routinely remove them from the 22's. I'm not concerned with the larger bore ones, but I'm more comfortable without the brush on the 22's.

W L Johnson
October 3, 2011, 11:08 AM
Are you sure you got one for a 22? There should be a size marking on the brass piece at the end of the pull cord.

Batty67
October 3, 2011, 12:07 PM
Not sure on the brand, I'm in the office. I think it might be Hoppes, or whatever the "main" brand/maker is. Anyhow, the brass metal piece drops in but the relatively skinny black cord that is attached to the weight that is also attached to the much thicker cleaning fabric (and brass brush) appears to get stuck after 5-6" (the black cord meant to drop through the barrel to pull the thicker cleaning fabric appears to be a little is too thick to pass through more than a few inches). So it does not get even close to making it through the barrel so I can pull it through... No obstructions that I can see, and the rifle performed flawlessly (as a Ruger 10-22 should) on Friday.

I suppose I can try to tie a string to the weight that pulls the skinny cord that pulles the thicker cleaning rod...but that seems to be getting ridiculous. ANd what do I do if the string breaks with the weight and too-thick pulling cord stuck inside? Sigh...

1KPerDay
October 3, 2011, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing it's not actually for a .22.

Did you get it second hand? What color is it?

browneu
October 3, 2011, 01:02 PM
I have the same issue with my bore snake. I can't get it to go through the bore of my CZ452.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

spazman
October 3, 2011, 01:56 PM
My boresnake goes through with relative ease in the barrel of my Savage 22. The boresnake is green and black checkered. I think they are color coded for the caliber they go with. Mine is also stamped "22" on the brass end.

Ultravox
October 3, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have no issues pulling my bore snake through my Savage .22 rifle. It took a bit of tugging, but it came through.

rcmodel
October 3, 2011, 02:16 PM
Doesn't happen to be the new Hoppe's Viper boresnake does it?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=572945&highlight=viper+boresnake

rc

SleazyRider
October 3, 2011, 02:20 PM
I like Boresnakes, but for my .22s, the Patchworm is the way to go. It's a lot of happiness for twelve or so bucks, and fits into the jacket of one's hunting togs. http://20-20.8m.com/patchworm.html

Batty67
October 3, 2011, 03:26 PM
I had fired the rifle flawlessly the day I tried the boresnake. I do have a bore brush for a .22LR and two-part rod but I'd have to pull-out the barrel and bolt/trigger etc from the Hogue stock to use it (nto too hard to do of course). Presuming I only want the bore bursh to go "forward" to the end of the barrel, right? I suppose there could be an obstruction and I should check it, but it more likely seems like, for whatever reason, the cord attached to the brass weight is too thick. I'll check the weight and color when I get home, but I know the package I purchased was labeled for .22...

popper
October 3, 2011, 05:12 PM
Use some weed whacker string with a knot on one end, over a single patch. If the WW string won't go in OK, you have a big problem. It's stiff enough to push from the breech end.

Batty67
October 3, 2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks Popper I'll give that a try. Oh, checked, definately green and black chequered and brass weight is labeled .22. It will also not fit down the business end, like the black nylon cord is just a little too big. I think that might be the problem. Since it is effectively new, I might try to exchange it a wally world.

1KPerDay
October 3, 2011, 06:33 PM
How long has it been since you cleaned this rifle, out of curiosity?

Batty67
October 3, 2011, 06:40 PM
I fired a total of 120 rounds through the new rifle that day. So, I just wanted to pull the boresnake through it a few times.

BinhThuyUSN
October 3, 2011, 10:53 PM
Batty, I have two CZ 22's a 453 and 452. I have two Boresnakes with the 22 stamp on the brass end that you drop thru the barrel from the chamber end. I have put them side by side and one is thicker on the checkered part than the other. The thicker boresnake was a pain to get thru the bore of the 22s. The thin one went thru both 22 barrels without a hitch. I have a CZ 527 223 in my safe and I found that the thicker 22 boresnake works great in that rifle. I have marked the packages the snakes came in so that I don't get them mixed. I use them for a quick cleaning fo the barrels. Nothing beats a good cleaning with a rod, brush and patches.

bigedp51
October 4, 2011, 12:15 AM
The British used a pull through (bore snake) to clean the British .303 Enfield rifle.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/pullthrough.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/pullthrough01.jpg

The problem with the pull through/bore snake is it causes cord wear at the muzzle when it rubs the bore. If you look at the photo above you will see the the British Sgt. holding the rifle at the correct angle and using the "proper" British method.

Bottom line, a bore snake collects dirt and it will act like sand paper and damage your muzzle and crown and hurt accuracy. Use a cleaning rod and bore guide unless you can protect the muzzle.

oldfool
October 4, 2011, 07:52 AM
ever pull one in two in a 17HMR or 22 rimfire, with not enough cord hanging out to pull it, you will find out in a hurry how hard it is to push a snake

never been there, done that, but some people have
convenience goes just so far

JohnBT
October 4, 2011, 09:21 AM
"CZ452"

They have tight bores, CZ even says so. I use a .17 rod to clean mine. My .22 rimfire rods fit all of my other .22 rifles.

John

StrutStopper
October 4, 2011, 04:05 PM
Never had a problem with a .22 bore snake in my Marlin 60 or my .223. For serious cleaning i use a rod/brush/patch though.

M-Cameron
October 4, 2011, 04:12 PM
The problem with the pull through/bore snake is it causes cord wear at the muzzle when it rubs the bore. If you look at the photo above you will see the the British Sgt. holding the rifle at the correct angle and using the "proper" British method.

Bottom line, a bore snake collects dirt and it will act like sand paper and damage your muzzle and crown and hurt accuracy. Use a cleaning rod and bore guide unless you can protect the muzzle.

1) its not that difficult to pull a snake straight out of the barrel......so your not going to get any muzzle wear, especially with how little you are going to use it on a .22

2) you are supposed to wash them, that removes any particles, so you do not get "sandpaper damaging your barrel"

i love boresnakes.....clean my barrel in under a min......no fuss.

bigedp51
October 4, 2011, 04:56 PM
M-Cameron

1. I use bore snakes also, BUT I protect the muzzle by using a muzzle guide.

2. Do you wash the bore snake every time you use it, each time it is used the carbon from the bore is embedded in the bore snake.

3. With a cleaning rod the dirty patch is tossed in the trash and a new clean patch is used.

A "star" stamp on a Enfield barrel knox form means it is cord worn from cleaning. ;)

Seventh entry down from the top below.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/Page12Secs63-64.jpg

Tom609
October 4, 2011, 10:07 PM
As Popper said Use some weed whacker string...

I use bore snakes for all but my .22s. For them, I take a length of weedwacker line - the orange color - and heat one end until I get a little bubble and then let it harden. Around that bubble I tie and secure a loop of 50 lb. test line that I can slip a patch through. I've been using the same one for several years.

oldfool
October 5, 2011, 08:13 AM
you can do "same' as weed whacker with mono fishing line leader from places like Bass Pro, 1.0mm/100# test or even 1.4mm 200# test, pretty cheap 100 yard packs, cut to desired length and fashion a pull loop on end (or double line) for regular cleaning patches

I do that on 22s and hummers, just mind size of your patch
throw away when line gets too well used, 100 yards makes a bunch of pull lines

or.. use heavyweight "cheap" flyline, if want to carry a real compact coil in kit, can tie multiple patches in series, say three per pull, cut line long, trim off the dirty patches and tie on some more; doesn't push in from chamber quite as well, but not hard to do
(hard to find truly cheap flyline these days though)
have done that as a "get by" when lacking for a proper rod, flyline is real strong, but like mono, non-abrasive unless you get it filthy dirty

I do keep good rods on hand though, for the occasional more rigorous cleaning

Batty67
October 9, 2011, 02:52 PM
Went to the Nations Gun SHow in NoVA and found two boresnakes labeled
.22, one with the fat black pull-cord, and the other noticably skinnier. Got the skinnier cord one and while still tight, I could actually use it. Now I'll return the other one to Walmart...

mod60rimfire
October 9, 2011, 03:31 PM
It takes some effort on my mod 60

wkumatt
October 9, 2011, 03:46 PM
I have the exact same issue with my .22 boresnake. The black leader cord is too fat for my .22s win,rem,Ruger, and my AR. I hold the toe if my boot carefully on the leading weight and stretch just the leading cord out. This makes it temporarily slender enough to fall through the barrel.
Just my $0.02

Curator
October 9, 2011, 08:03 PM
While it is new for me to actually agree with Bigedp51 I quote him here:
"The problem with the pull through/bore snake is it causes cord wear at the muzzle when it rubs the bore. If you look at the photo above you will see the the British Sgt. holding the rifle at the correct angle and using the "proper" British method.

Bottom line, a bore snake collects dirt and it will act like sand paper and damage your muzzle and crown and hurt accuracy. Use a cleaning rod and bore guide unless you can protect the muzzle."

He is exactly correct. Boresnakes and pull-throughs will wear the muzzle oval over time. More .22 rimfire rifles are ruined by incorrect and overzealous cleaning than by shooting since non-corrosive ammo has been generally available. I coach a college-level smallbore rifle shooting team and we clean the bores about once a year. With .22 rimfire the bolt face, extractors and breechface need to be cleaned to prevent the accumulation of bullet-lube and grit but the bores are usually better left alone. Cleaning the bore on my Winchester 52 means 40+ shots to get the bore to begin shooting tight groups again.

Kerf
October 10, 2011, 04:51 AM
More .22 rimfire rifles are ruined by incorrect and overzealous cleaning than by shooting
Zero maintenance is better than voodoo maintenance...

I coach a college-level smallbore rifle shooting team and we clean the bores about once a year.
A bit excessive if you ask me...

Cleaning the bore on my Winchester 52 means 40+ shots to get the bore to begin shooting tight groups again.
And, some people wonder why they can't get their guns to shoot/group respectably when they clean them every few rounds...

With .22 rimfire the bolt face, extractors and breechface need to be cleaned to prevent the accumulation of bullet-lube and grit but the bores are usually better left alone.
What he said above ^^^^^.

When was the last gunfight you were in that you were allowed to clean your gun? Your gun better work dirty, for your sake!

Kerf

Sav .250
October 10, 2011, 07:00 AM
Never used a "bore-snake." The old fashioned way works just fine. J s/n.

Batty67
October 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
Got it, thanks: don't clean the barrel of my Ruger 10-22 more than once a year or so. I pulled the boresnake through ONE time total and won't do so again until 2012 or after I shoot a few hundred more rounds through it.

W L Johnson
October 10, 2011, 09:33 AM
He is exactly correct. Boresnakes and pull-throughs will wear the muzzle oval over time.

Good grief! just how many times are some people pulling a snake through the barrel on each cleaning?
Seems to me (IMHO) that you would burn the barrel out by shooting it long before a boresnake would wear the muzzle oval.

Bottom line, a bore snake collects dirt and it will act like sand paper and damage your muzzle and crown and hurt accuracy.

Seems to me bullets are doing the very same thing.
And boresnakes are very easily cleaned, I throw mine in the washer.

This opinion is completely unprofessional but I find it hard to believe that barrels are that delicate.

HOWARD J
October 10, 2011, 09:41 AM
What is the advantage of a bore snake over say a one piece cleaning rod ?????

1KPerDay
October 10, 2011, 12:18 PM
Easier, quicker.

But less effective.

zxcvbob
March 2, 2012, 01:59 PM
I bought one for my new Mini-14 and a couple of .22LR's. The black "bootlace" cord will just barely fit down the bore and takes several minutes of frustration to feed it thru (even in the .22 pistol) to where I can grab the brass end. Then the green part will not fit down the bore no matter how hard I pull. I could not get the green floss even started in the .22 (the folded part where it's attached to the black pull-cord is too big), and in the .223 it wouldn't go past the chamber. Luckily there's no brass bristles in the first few inches of the floss so I could pull it out backwards without damaging the gun.

Worthless POS. It might work in a 6mm, but I don't have a 6mm.

Certaindeaf
March 2, 2012, 02:15 PM
Same as has been said.. a 22lr bore probably needs cleaning about once every 10,000 rounds. And that's probably way too much.

Sniper66
March 2, 2012, 03:10 PM
I have several bore snakes for rifles and shotguns. Never had the trouble you are describing. I always drag mine thru my .22 pistols after a visit to the range. I also run it through my Pdog rifles after every 50 shots or so. A question for all of you out there. I have never put anything on it...solvent or oil...should I? Even running it through dry as I do, leaves the barrel shiny and clean. Periodically though, I get out the whole kit and scrub the inside of the barrel with solvent and brush and lots of cleaning patches.

GCMkc
March 2, 2012, 03:23 PM
WOW. I clean mine usually every 6 months or so. Doesn't seem to hurt it. I don't think I would want to wait 10,000 before cleaning it. Seems like it would take a lot of patches and q-tips. I like my guns clean.

Onmilo
March 2, 2012, 04:35 PM
Some .22 barrels are tighter than others.
My 10/22 and my CZ 452 are two of those.
I solved the Boresnake problem by using the .20 caliber Boresnake in these rifles.
Works like a charm!:)

chute2thrill
March 3, 2012, 01:52 AM
Try a .204 boresnake, thats what I use on my .22 and it may take a couple more passes to get the job done but it works. Also make sure the bristles on the brush itself are aiming the right way, trying to pull a reversed brush is hell.

Jeff F
March 3, 2012, 04:47 AM
If you guys want a good pull through gun cleaning kit, just bit the bullet and get an Otis cleaning kit.
http://www.otisgun.com/Products/cleaning_systems.asp?parent_category=F7C22671BB5C450CB7B4821FEEDF6983
They work very well and I have never worried about one breaking halfway through the barrel.

Davek1977
March 3, 2012, 05:17 AM
When was the last gunfight you were in that you were allowed to clean your gun? Your gun better work dirty, for your sake!
Can't say I've ever been in one, and while I agree that a self-defense/combat firearm should "prove" itself before being trusted to protect life and limb, I think applying the same sorts of standards to .22's and other "range toys" is taking the concept a bit too far, IMO. The truth of the matter is that 99.9995% of us will never need ANY weapon to be "combat ready" because, contrary to mall ninja belief, most of us will never, ever find ourselves in what most would consider a combat environment. Even most cases of self-defense end with the gun being pulled rather than fired.....meaning even most SD situations don't rise to the level of "combat". This idea that each and every gun out there needs to be "combat worthy" just rubs me the wrong way. Its a .22, used for shooting bunnies and making holes in paper....I'm not saying they should be ABUSED, but a jam, for most of us, is nothing but a minor inconvenience and not the life-ender some make it out to be. it may take a few minutes away from my prairie dog blasting, but cleaning my gun in the heat of a firefight just isn't something I'm overly concerned about, especially with my .22's

Art Eatman
March 3, 2012, 09:19 AM
The subject seems to be well-covered and we don't need to wander off into firefights and suchlike...

If you enjoyed reading about "Boresnake issue for .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!