This should be a long one

PDA

chapperjoe
January 27, 2004, 08:00 PM
OK folks let's play a game called "I just won 200$ on a scratch off game and have decided to treat myself".

Here are the rules:

The PRIMARY RULE IS 200$. . For no reason at all may the price of the rifle exceed this amount. This rifle will forever be my scratch off rifle.

There is only one further rule, though it is more a guide:

The rifle should be accurate in the 200-300 yd range.

(I own a Hi-Cap WASR 10 that I am busy jazzing up and a Ruger PC-9 that I have decided to leave as is,plain jane and fun in the shooting lane.)

Used rifles are fine, large caliber fine, .22lr fine.
I hope to take the rifle y'all choose to the 200 yard mark come spring. So it will be necessary to mount a bipod, scope etc. These accesories do not have to come under the 200$ mark with the rifle.

Let's see what we come up with, then I'll post a poll and I'll let the high road decide.

If you enjoyed reading about "This should be a long one" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
January 27, 2004, 08:11 PM
Inside $200?

A Saiga 7.62x39mm is about the only centerfire autoloader you could get.

A variety of used leverguns could be had, in .30-30.

NEF Single shots could be had for less than $200. Heck, for $200, you might be able to get the rifle, some rings, and a cheapie scope.

Surplus rifles, too. You should able to find a Nagant or even an M48 Mauser in good condition for that much (Nagants are more plentiful and are cheaper).

Surely
January 27, 2004, 08:40 PM
Get the Marlin 17v from walmart for 180 bucks brand new. Bolt action 17 HMR with heavy barrel, very accurate, easy trigger job makes it very shootable. Great price for this gun too.

dakotasin
January 27, 2004, 08:42 PM
mauser 98... look into a 98-22 or vz-24.

then, w/ the other $115, have a ball at your local friendly ammo stop on your way to the range.

down the road, after you scratch off another $200, have the bolt handle bent, receiver drilled and tapped... etc.

cdbeaver
January 27, 2004, 08:54 PM
The NEF Handi-Rifle--in a variety of calibers--is worth looking into.

goalie
January 27, 2004, 08:55 PM
Finn Mosin Nagant rifle. Powerful, accurate, inexpensive or a K-31 Swiss.

Brian Williams
January 27, 2004, 11:23 PM
NEF Superlight handi rifle. I have one in 243 that is a great gun.
Mine has a Golden antler scope and is very light and scary accurate.

Absolut
January 27, 2004, 11:40 PM
i would save another $500 and buy an AR :D

Preacherman
January 27, 2004, 11:49 PM
There are many rifles that would fit your budget:

Mosin-Nagant rifles and carbines from various countries;
SKS's (particularly Yugoslavian);
Swiss K-31's (my choice for accuracy);
Yugoslavian M-48 Mauser clones;
Used .30-30 lever-action rifles;
NEF/H&R Handi-Rifles in various calibers;
Any number of rimfire rifles (.22LR, .22 WMR and .17);
Probably quite a few well-used bolt-action hunting rifles in various pawnshops.

For $200, you could get a Yugo Mauser, a decent scope and scope mounts, drill and tap it, install and bore-sight the scope, and get several hundred rounds of ammunition, and still have some change left over!

Redlg155
January 28, 2004, 12:04 AM
The NEF rates pretty high here. They are inexpensive, yet they have a pretty good reputation for being extremely accurate. They are also easily scoped.

I've shot one in .243 that was extremely accurate.

You also have to consider ammo availability and choices. With the .243 you can varmint hunt as well as deer hunt. Ammo is available at Walmart, gunstores and even your rural grocery stores. That can't be said with 8mm Mauser.

Good Shooting
Red

rde
January 28, 2004, 12:23 AM
Define accurate.

Flying blind I would bet the Mauser would be the most accurate (not sure about Enfield's or Mosin Nagants..never shot one).

Flying blind and "settling" for "combat accurate" then SKS would fit the bill.

Beetle Bailey
January 28, 2004, 12:32 AM
Swiss K-31 or Finnish M39. You can always get a scout scope mount if you want it, but I don't know about the bipod. Sandbags work well for me, though ;) . The rifle has to be accurate already, or else the scope isn't gonna help much. . .

SteelyDan
January 28, 2004, 12:35 AM
There are some great prices on excellent milsurp rifles these days, so I would definitely go in that direction. You may not be able to get ammo at your local Wal-Mart, but in most cases it's a snap to order 400 rounds for around $50, so what's the problem? Most of these things are built like tanks and very reliable--just great buys, in my opinion. Right now you can get:

Excellent/almost unissued Yugo SKSs for $140

Excellent (maybe factory refinished) Russian M-44s, M-91/30s, and M-38s for about $65 or $70

Good to excellent Finnish M-39s for $100 to $180, respectively

Excellent Yugo Mausers for $110 or so

Very good or better Swiss K-31s for around $100 or $110

These prices do not include shipping or transfer fees, but still...

duckfoot
January 28, 2004, 12:59 AM
K-31 Swiss or the NEF

TrapperReady
January 28, 2004, 01:02 AM
Another vote for a K-31.

BamBam-31
January 28, 2004, 02:38 AM
Hmmm. 200-300 yds for 22lr is a bit much, I'd think.

Okay, sounds like cost is an issue, so here's my $0.02 for free:

Do you handload? If so, the K-31 is notoriously accurate and falls in your price range. If not, the Finn M39 is also superbly accurate, and x54R can be had pretty cheaply and readily. The same can be said of a myriad of Mausers (6.5 if you handload, 8mm if you don't).

If you're looking for something more modern (hmm...bipod, scope...sounds like it), maybe a used Savage is in order. Best bang for your buck as far as accurate and affordable barrels are concerned. Try to find a newer one with the Accu-trigger. Might be a tad above the $200 limit, tho'.

You already have semi-auto's, so I wont suggest any (although in this price range, the Yugo SKS is pretty tough to beat). Go for a bolt.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 28, 2004, 11:36 AM
Throw in another $30 and get a Mossberg SSi-One at Galyan's.

The local store has about 30 total in .223---.243----and .308.

For $229---you just can't beat that.

ReadyontheRight
January 28, 2004, 11:42 AM
Two Swiss K-31s. One for odd days and one for even days.:D

www.aimsurplus.com

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Swiss_1931_Carbin_Scmidt_Rubin_K31_7_5Swiss_Cal_.html

If you enjoyed reading about "This should be a long one" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!