I broke my toy.

PDA

NoobCannon
October 3, 2011, 11:01 PM
I took my PT111 Mil Pro out for some range time today, loaded up with 3 mags of Tulammo. I had success with the stuff in my old .40, so I figured it'd work with my 9mm. First two mags had FTFs out the wazoo, but they were fixed by another trigger pull. The third mag worked great until round 7, when it went BOOM. Fire from the ejection port, almost pooped myself. I felt something bounce off my hat, which I later learned was most of the primer. The case was more or less welded into the barrel. Visual inspection showed that the firing pin retainer was blown out to a severe degree, and the firing pin was bent. I tried extracting the casing by dropping the slide on it, nothing. Pound it out with a screwdriver, nothing. It's in there.

I drove it up to the LGS I bought it from, and they're sending it into Taurus first thing in the morning.

PLEASE NOTE

- I am not condemning the weapon for failing. If anything I'm thankful I didn't get injured past getting rattled.

- I AM going to look into filing a complaint with Tulammo. Either the round was defective totally, or it was grossly overcharged.

- I'm putting faith in Taurus customer service that they will make things right. I brought the extra ammo up with me to the LGS, but they told me they just needed the gun itself and they'd handle the rest.

Never again will I purchase Tulammo. Things could have ended much worse.

If you enjoyed reading about "I broke my toy." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SSN Vet
October 3, 2011, 11:24 PM
Glad you weren't hurt.

Glad I took up rolling my own.

FruitCake
October 4, 2011, 08:04 PM
I've read some nasty stories about Tula ammo but people continue to buy it so I don't know what to believe anymore. I will not buy that stuff.

Michael R.
October 4, 2011, 10:06 PM
im glad you were not hurt. tulammo is complete garbage. people only but it because of its cheap price. reload your own or buy brass cased ammo like WWB.

HisSoldier
October 5, 2011, 01:02 AM
I will not buy that stuff.

+1, I will never buy anymore steel cased ammo.

Strykervet
October 5, 2011, 01:05 AM
You could also have had a squib load and then fired one behind it --but you should have noticed the light recoil. Either way, bad ammo.

I load all my own and don't have any problems. I can use wildcats and obscure calibres too without breaking the bank. I wouldn't pay the price for good ammo, and the cheap stuff is, well, too cheap.

NoobCannon
October 5, 2011, 01:21 AM
no, there wasn't any light recoil. just bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, BOOM!!! That, and the guy at the LGS dropped a pen down the barrel to make sure there wasn't a round trapped in there. I'll find out what's going on when they give me a call. I have pictures of the damage done, but it's on my phone. I'll upload them later.

wally
October 5, 2011, 01:35 AM
You could also have had a squib load and then fired one behind it --but you should have noticed the light recoil. Either way, bad ammo.

Could have fired out of battery, which the gun is not supposed to do by design. Photos would help a lot.

+1, I will never buy anymore steel cased ammo.

Great, more for me at hopefully even lower prices!

NoobCannon
October 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp95/Cowboy302/2011-10-03_16-43-19_489.jpg

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp95/Cowboy302/2011-10-03_16-43-09_91.jpg

These are the best I could get away with. Taking a good picture of black on black is a pain in the butt, but you can clearly see that the Casing is firmly lodged in the chamber, and the primer is nowhere to be seen. My area of most concern is the rear of the weapon, with that little plastic plug that holds in the firing pin bulged out like that. Even if I could've gotten the case out of the chamber I wouldn't trust firing it with that piece like that. You can't see it in the pictures very well, but there was a slight bend to the firing pin that I noticed.

wally
October 5, 2011, 12:31 PM
The case head looks intact, but the case doesn't look fully chambered. I'd bet it fired out of battery and the gas jet from the powder blew out the primer as the bullet moved down the bore. This is likely what damaged the striker and retainer plate. Did the magazine remain in the gun when this happened?

Its easy to blame the ammo, but no locked breech gun should fire if not locked up. To do so is by definition a dangerous defect -- either in design or implementation.

Why is the case stuck? probably whatever FOD prevented the round from fully chambering is acting like a wedge locking the case in but good. I'd bet a heat gun (to expand the chamber a bit) and a punch will drive it out.

Would like to hear how Taurus treats you.

Onward Allusion
October 5, 2011, 12:49 PM
+1 on firing out of battery. Had this happen to me but in a .45 running WWB. Blew the safety/de-cocker off and jammed up the slide to frame. Scared the crap outta me. Gun was fine after some tapping with the rubber mallet.

Mike1234567
October 5, 2011, 01:49 PM
But... would firing out of battery explain the blown-out primer? Had it fired OOB and there was a squib then I could understand but with no squib? Also, that steel rim took quite a pull from the ejector so it could have been pulled out just a little. My money's on a double charge.

wally
October 5, 2011, 02:26 PM
But... would firing out of battery explain the blown-out primer?
Its about the only thing that would in the presence of an otherwise intact case head. If the barrel and slide is locked the primer has nowhere to go until the bullet leaves the bore and the slide moves back to unlock. If out of battery, the gas pressure uses the primer as a piston to move the slide back and the primer goes bye-bye as soon as space opens up. Also explains the big flash out the ejection port an that apparently the magazine didn't blow out. If a case ruptures with the gun locked up the magazine pretty much always blows out

Also, that steel rim took quite a pull from the ejector so it could have been pulled out just a little

If it moved at all, it'd come right out as the 9mm case and chamber is tapered.

My money's on a double charge

No way, not with an intact case head. If there was a bore obstruction you'll see a bulge or "ring" in the barrel, but since the slide moves back, apparently all the way, that is very unlikely.

Onward Allusion
October 5, 2011, 02:53 PM
Steel cases do not create a tight seal in the chamber because of expansion differences with temperature between brass & steel. This creates more carbon build up in the chamber. Carbon build-up contributes to failure-to-complete-batteries. When you have a FTCB, the case is not seated firmly against the breech face which allows the primer to blow out/back. The tearing up of the case rim by the extractor is indicative of the cartridge not being seated in the chamber properly - either too tight or did not go all the way in.

My question to the OP - How clean was your chamber when this happen?

NoobCannon
October 5, 2011, 10:53 PM
The chamber was spotless. I don't like leaving my guns dirty. They get cleaned immediately after shooting, or if I haven't been shooting for awhile, just whenever I feel that it's no longer clean. You can practically eat out of my guns.

sammy
October 5, 2011, 11:37 PM
9mm Tula seems to have some issues.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=466790

Kiln
October 6, 2011, 06:05 AM
Steel cased ammo is junk. The only benefit of having that cheap imported steel crap is that when you fire it through any weapon, you'll learn all about the different types of malfunction and how to clear them.

Every pistol I've ever used it in has inevitably had constant problems while using it. That said I have fired tons of cheap steel cased stuff from my SKS and Mosin Nagant and never had a single issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "I broke my toy." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!