New Beretta Carbine

PDA

Combat-wombat
January 27, 2003, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know much about this CX4 Carbine that Beretta is now producing? Will it accept 92 series mags?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Beretta Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kahr carrier
January 28, 2003, 12:19 AM
Sounds interesting any pics.:confused:

USGuns
January 28, 2003, 12:24 AM
There's a blurb about it in the new American Rifleman magazine. I didn't see anything on their website yet.
Based on the picture in A.R., could it be any uglier??? :what:

Combat-wombat
January 28, 2003, 12:29 AM
http://www.berettausa.com/feature_products/index.html#cx4storm
This gives a brief overview of it, but not much info. I'm really looking to see if it accepts M92 mags so i can get a post-ban hi-cap mag. I dont think it looks ugly, just kinda different.

10-Ring
January 28, 2003, 12:45 AM
I doubt it would be able to take the mags from a 92 since in order to be imported it would be made so that it couldn't accept magazines that held more than 10 rounds. If it did, I'd doubt we'd see it here (especially here in CA) :fire:

Skunkabilly
January 28, 2003, 12:47 AM
According to what I read on berettaforum, the ATF made an exception and they can import the CX4? Either that or they'll be making them here.

Some other pics on a thread somewhere in the rifle forum.

I'm gonna get one when I leave this rathole!

SB23. A rat writ writ for a rat.

dude
January 28, 2003, 12:51 AM
yes, it will accept 92 mags

I'm just about to hit the 'checkout button' on this site:
http://www.marksmansmart.com/prodDescription.asp?catID=22&subCatID=447&prodID=60246

Triad
January 28, 2003, 02:16 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?postid=61174
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?postid=61181 Rifle Country thread. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=4561)

trvlr905
January 28, 2003, 05:54 AM
Don't know if I'd prefer one over a M4 clone or not. I might add it to my list after I get a coupla other guns, like that Garand that I've been telling myself that I want to for about three years now.

Will Fennell
January 28, 2003, 09:08 AM
The STORM is set up to take existing BERETTA handgun mags. The 9mm is confirmed to take BERETTA 92 mags.:cool:

Best Regards,

Will Fennell
TEAM BERETTA

ahenry
January 28, 2003, 11:02 AM
Why would I want a rifle sized firearm that fires pistol rounds?

Monte Harrison
January 28, 2003, 11:10 AM
Why would I want a rifle sized firearm that fires pistol rounds?Considering how many such firearms exist, and have existed since cartridge rifles were developed, a lot of people must want them.
The question in my mind is, "Why would I want a firearm that looks like a prop from a bad scifi movie?"

dude
January 28, 2003, 11:19 AM
while cheap @ $623 or so..........I have decided aginst. A strange and sudden wave of practicality has come over me! It would have been a 'just because' type of purchase (and I have one of those in the driveway!). Upon some pondering, the CX-4 while very cool (I have seen them on Italian cops), will vastly under perform compared to my GI Carbine.

I'll finally buy the .357 & .44Mag reloading set-up I've been putting off for years instead!

ShaiVong
January 28, 2003, 01:16 PM
Looks pretty cool to me.. Might think about it after i finally get that AR & Bolter. But then again, a USP 9mm may raise its ugly, yet functional, head.

ahenry
January 28, 2003, 03:08 PM
Considering how many such firearms exist, and have existed since cartridge rifles were developed, a lot of people must want them. Very true. I still would like somebody to explain why a person would want one. Clearly some people do, but I don’t really grasp the whyso...

dude
January 28, 2003, 03:17 PM
.........well if one owned a 92, perhaps the concept of a rifle taking the same mags might appeal.

The MP5 in various pistol callibers seems to be mildly popular with the Police and Spec Ops forces of the world.

ShaiVong
January 28, 2003, 03:23 PM
Why? Ah, but your asking the wrong question! The real issue is, why not? :D

Soap
January 28, 2003, 03:34 PM
So ya think this rifle is modern? Humph. Does it have a coffee grinder in the stock? I think not! :D

ahenry- I completely agree.

Skunkabilly
January 28, 2003, 03:37 PM
Because it takes the same mags, shoulder weapon with low recoil. A good training arm.

ShaiVong
January 28, 2003, 03:37 PM
It may not have a coffee grinder in the stock, but I'm sure that you could use the stock to smash up some beans! They call that Yankee ingenuity

longeyes
January 28, 2003, 04:05 PM
I like the way it looks but will vote with my dollars for a Kel-Tec Su-16 or an AK-74 variant.

ShaiVong
January 28, 2003, 04:07 PM
The Kel-Tec does have features that I like more.. Folding, bipod (though it kind of looks sketchy) mag in stock.. We'll see how it plays out. If i win the lotto between now and then, ill get them both. :D

ahenry
January 28, 2003, 04:49 PM
The MP5 in various pistol callibers seems to be mildly popular with the Police and Spec Ops forces of the world. An MP5 is approx. 27 inches long with an 9 inch barrel and the Cx4 Storm is approx. 30 inches long with a 16 inch barrel. The Cx4 does a much better job of getting in a much longer barrel in only a slightly longer weapon. However, firearms like the MP5 PDW, MP5K and SP89 all do/did a far better job of staying small thereby taking advantage of the small pistol caliber. If I’m not mistaken once the folding stock was added to the MP5K it became more popular than the MP5 with the “police and spec Ops forces of the world” as well.

Why? Ah, but your asking the wrong question! The real issue is, why not? Fair enough. I have purchased more than a few things based on that criteria, I just like to make sure I know what my criteria is...

ShaiVong
January 28, 2003, 05:18 PM
If God, or anyone else, offered me a Cx4 or MP5, I wouldnt hesitate on going for the MP5. I saw an MP5-PDW for sale for $4300 at a gunshow once, dont know if thats high or low or what. Whats the Cx4 going for? About $600? Thats more in my price range.

Soap
January 28, 2003, 05:45 PM
ShaiVong- :p

ahenry
January 28, 2003, 05:49 PM
So you're saying that a pistol firing weapon is superior to a rifle firing round of equivalent size? I agree with you that when looking at an MP5 or a Cx4 unless you have far more money than I, the Cx4 is the way to go. Hoesomever, I didn't bring up MP5's. I think in a firearm as large as a Cx4, you might's well go all the way to a rifle round. To each his own though.

Andrew Wyatt
January 28, 2003, 08:51 PM
well, if you have a rifle that fires rifle rounds, you have to carry rifle magazines with you.

i think something like this would make a decent enough truck gun, if your ccw weapon used the same magazines.

Schuey2002
January 28, 2003, 08:55 PM
When are those funky lookin' things coming out ? Anyone know ?:)

Note to self. Learn to spell.:D

Kahr carrier
January 28, 2003, 10:15 PM
That Cx4 looks cool.:)

Skunkabilly
January 28, 2003, 10:50 PM
Schuey, now that they got the magazine deal taken care of, I bet they'll tell us at the shot show. I can't wait to leave CA.

guy sajer
January 28, 2003, 10:57 PM
It's not bad . Fairly comfortable when shouldered .
The Beretta rep had a sample in the store Friday . Estimated delivery on the 9mm is April/May . Then .40 , then .45 .

Also had their new single action revolver (Uberti) .

Mitch
www.oldeenglishoutfitters.com

Schuey2002
January 28, 2003, 11:10 PM
I might just have to add one of these pups to my collection .. :D

George Hill
January 28, 2003, 11:46 PM
PERFECT COMPANION for my Beretta 92FS for 3 Gun Matches!
Same ammo, same magazines... SWEETNESS!

Now, for only 600 bones - it's a bargain!

The only real question is this:
CAN A REGULAR JOE CITIZEN BUY ONE?

PLEASE SAY YES.

Schuey2002
January 28, 2003, 11:51 PM
I don't see how the BATF would allow this rifle to be imported if it had the ability to use "pre-ban" mags. For LEO use.. Yes! For use by us civies.. I doubt it.

Look at the stink they threw over the HK SL8-1.. :banghead:

Gargoyle
January 29, 2003, 11:02 AM
Schuey2002 the magazine capacity doesn't matter. It will be sold with a 10 round magazine. Pre-ban high capacity magazines are legal to use in new guns.

It would be nice if they would make the .45ACP version use M3 grease gun magazines since they are so cheap.

George Hill
January 29, 2003, 11:27 AM
But can I actually buy one?

Redlg155
January 29, 2003, 11:54 AM
Hmmm..I can't wait to see one up close. I'm curious as to how they have it set up to feed from 92 magazines.

Looking at the picture it seems that the ejection port is pretty high. The only way I could figure is that either is has a long steep feedramp or that the grip section is very short when compared to a Beretta 92.

Good Shooting
RED

gun-fucious
January 29, 2003, 12:19 PM
Yes George, you can buy one
;)

here an odd reason to buy one:

Because in Maryland, No beretta Pistols are legal to purchase, if they were manufactured after January 2003.

I was jonesing the HK 45 carbine with a third party grease gun mag well

The Beretta is much more cash efficient

gun-fucious
January 29, 2003, 12:33 PM
ding!!!
http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4_Storm/CX4_storm1.htm

The carbine is designed to be quickly converted from one caliber to the other

http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4_Storm/CX5_11.gif

http://www.hermumarket.es/legion/articulos/
translated from spanish:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.hermumarket.es/legion/articulos/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dberetta%2BCX4%2BStorm%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

The evaluation that NATO has initiated on light armament has impelled the commercialization of the "Cx4 Storm"

Since we have already indicated, the carbine Beretta Cx4 Storm is a semiautomatic weapon that operates by inertial-type breech mechanism (Blowback) (5), light thanks to its polymer frame totally constructed, of compact size, which does easy to carry individually and to transport in police vehicles. In order to obtain an absolute reliability its mechanical design is, simultaneously, simple and effective. Few pieces and easy to assemble and to disassemble. Only retiring a pin and the cocking lever this carbine is divided in three sets: tube-hand guards, butt-drawer of mechanisms and close. Also we will emphasize its capacity multicalibrates, because one is going away to present/display chambered in: 9x19 mm NATO/Parabellum, Italian 9x21 mm, 40 S&W and 45 the ACP. With a clear commercial vision, to facilitate the introduction in the police and military markets, this carbine feeds, since already there are saying, with the shippers standard on the Beretta pistols on range Full Size, facilitating with it the logistics of the buying potential.
The carbine Cx4 Storm has several complements that allow it to improve their tactical potentiality. Thus, it is possible to be inserted optical sighting systems, like viewfinders by telescope or of red point; of illumination, like a lantern of white light or a laser designador, that facilitates the form to point the weapon; also a suppresor of sound - for certain type of missions -, a front grip, additional plates are offered to extend to the length of the butt or a rubber jaw.
Separate mention deserves to emphasize the care put by the designers of Beretta at the time of making possible an ergonomic weapon and of totally ambidextrous use. All their controls (handle of breech-block detent and to mount, button of subjection of the shipper, insurance and main pin) are easily operables with both reversible hands and, with the exception of first, only had in the left flank the frame; even with double window of expulsion. The secret is in its closing, designed to be able to mount indifferently, to a side or another one of the same one, the extractor, the nail extractor and the cocking lever, to convenience of the user.
The simplicity and robustness of this weapon are superb. Note that this armera company has a modern laboratory to the study of the adjustment of the binomial weapon-cartridge, in the dynamic-impulsive field, as well as of analysis of structural tension of pieces. The result is a universal weapon, very functional and operative.
It is so the bet of this Italian company/signature in her who already has predicted a military tactical version with selector of shot extended - with burst limited of three firings and equipped with a butt by telescope, in addition to a greater capacity of shipper.

It was arranged to the practical evaluation of the weapon of several models in diverse calibers. With classic other and sighting systems (it raises of librillo for 50 and 100 ms and front sight) with optical viewfinder of red point or a laser designador.
The first impression to emphasize was its lightness, contributing an evident comfort at the time of carrying it or handling it. Easy to face and his taking of aim it was natural; although, to my to seem, diópter somewhat small era of diameter, clearing field of vision. As we already mentioned, the access to all its controls was simple, as much with a hand as with the other; the insurance was necessary to better press it with decision - with the thumb that with the index. The feeding of the shippers, its insertion in the grip or its retirement, the handling of the cocking lever and the breech-block detent, took place of fast and easy form, even in conditions of low visibility. It is necessary to review very clear the sensitive perception that one had to the exhausted salary the ammunition of the shipper; Appreciating a dry blow of the closing, that it indicated that the same one had been retained in its delayed position more.
The reliability of this carbine was absolute. In all the evaluation of the diverse models available, no of them had interruption some. The behaviors, based on the shot cartridge, were diverse. Thus, the chambered one to 9 mm Parabellum, in sequences quick-firing, required an attention at the time of retaking the sighting systems and, as well, it sensibly warmed up the front zone of the hand guards - where anchor the tube -, making it more demanding at the time of shooting it. The variant of the caliber 9x21 mm was something more pleasant to control, staying in both cases the capacity of shipper in 15 or 20 cartridges. That same comfort of fire control had with the one of the caliber 40 S&W, but the firepower diminished to 11 or 17 firings. Finally, 45 the ACP was proven in caliber, being the most pleasant carbine to use, as much in fast shot - from shoulder or hip like in precision. Being foreseeable that first he is destined to the European market, the second a the civilian, in Italy, and the two last ones to American.
The form to grasp the Cx4 more optimal Storm can seem to us novel and somewhat strange; but, however, it facilitated the aim and the accessibility to the controls of the same one, as they show the snapshots that accompany this article.
Like conclusion, it is possible to be affirmed, without sort of doubts, that the projection of this carbine, as much in the police scope as of security, will be another success for Beretta Holding S.p.A more.

otomik
January 29, 2003, 05:48 PM
i'm a big fan of beretta but i think i'd prefer a kel-tec sub-2000, i think they also have a model that handles beretta mags, cheaper and folds up. Berettas much better looking than Kel-Tecs though, perhaps the .45 version would be worth it.

Will Fennell
January 29, 2003, 07:49 PM
I checked with my contacts in Accokeek, yup, it will be avialible for civial sales.....

I want one too:D

George Hill
January 29, 2003, 09:05 PM
I can buy one... SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!

This shall be my house warming gift to my self when I get the family moved to Virginia!

NewShooter78
January 29, 2003, 09:41 PM
Looks pretty good, although, I think I might wait until the .45 comes out.

T.Stahl
January 30, 2003, 03:38 AM
Hmm, 600 dollars or euros, even looks harmless enough for German laws. I think I'll put it on my "to-buy list". ;)

CAP
January 30, 2003, 08:48 PM
OMG that's ugly. Interesting though since it will take 92 mags and I have a plenty.

George Hill
January 31, 2003, 12:19 PM
Now... the only question is what to top it with.
I'm really not a gun-gadget guy - but I want an optical gunsight and a forward pistol grip on this one.
Yeah... maybe a tactical light too.
:evil:

Schuey2002
January 31, 2003, 04:17 PM
Now... the only question is what to top it with.
I'm really not a gun-gadget guy - but I want an optical gunsight...
George, this is what I'm going to put on mine..:D
It's an Aimpoint ML2 red dot scope.
http://www.aimpoint.com/products/compml2/compml2.jpg

George Hill
January 31, 2003, 05:08 PM
http://www.trijicon-inc.com/parts/AEC8.jpg
Tripower. I know it's a little more spendy... but it's worth it.

guy sajer
January 31, 2003, 05:41 PM
George ,
Do you own a Tri-Power ? Trijicon told me that they aren't available yet . Basically saying that they haven't shipped any yet . I have several customers asking for them .

I have the Aimpoint ML2 on my M-16 Commando . It's a great sight .

gun-fucious
January 31, 2003, 05:47 PM
this aint fer Fred Rogers neighborhood:
http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4_Storm/CX4_10.gif

Schuey2002
January 31, 2003, 05:56 PM
. I know it's a little more spendy...
A "little" more spendy !!:what: They cost almost as much as the gun itself.:D

Gary G23
January 31, 2003, 06:12 PM
In a recent catalog I got from my gun distributor it listed FIVE models of the Storm. Two 9mm's (one uses 92 mags, one uses Cougar mags), Two 40's (one uses 96 mags, one uses Cougar mags), and one 45 (uses Cougar mags).

gun-fucious
January 31, 2003, 10:45 PM
so whats prefered?

15 rounds of 9mm

or 8 rounds of 45?

i gather thats a 16.6 inch barrel

Schuey2002
January 31, 2003, 11:00 PM
15 rounds of 9mm
I'm going with the 9mm version.... Nothing but cheap plinkin' fun!:D

dude
January 31, 2003, 11:18 PM
I'll take 15/9mm

....but your question as to what I would 'preffer' would be 30/9mm or 30/.45 with an bonus thumb lever

George Hill
February 1, 2003, 01:41 AM
15 rounds? Nay... I have a 20 rounder for my 92FS that would be right at home in this Cx4!

Schuey2002
February 1, 2003, 03:11 AM
George, where (may I ask) did you get the Beretta 20 rounder?:)

George Hill
February 2, 2003, 11:56 AM
Canada.:neener:

Schuey2002
February 2, 2003, 03:33 PM
George, that's no fair ! You cheated...:banghead: :D

BHP9
February 2, 2003, 04:31 PM
Very true. I still would like somebody to explain why a person would want one. Clearly some people do, but I don’t really grasp the whyso...

Since many people own 9mm's which they use to plink with so too will they want a carbine that they can plink with. It uses the same 9mm ammo and many already have high capacity Beretta mags. Plinking with the 9mm will be a lot cheaper than with a center fire weapon.

I would imagine the Carbine will be of higher quality and a more reliable weapon than anything that Kel-tech would make. Kel-Tech pistols do not have the greatest of reputations in the reliablity field. I would place my money on the Beretta as the higher quality weapon.

I think that this new weapon will be a great marketing success and you may have trouble even finding one for sale for awhile.

Although I generally shy away from modern weapons with all their stark plastic, this one seems to have got my interest. 9mm ammo is affordable in large quantities, very accurate and is noted for mild recoil. What better plinking gun could one want to compliment ones 9mm pistols. I just hope they put a decent trigger pull on the weapon and not give it one of those fool proof 15 lb pulls as if found on so many other plinking carbines.

Many years ago the Spanish had a 9mm Largo carbine called the "Destroyer". It was a bolt action police gun and it is very popular with collectors and plinkers. It was designed for use in Spanish urban areas where low penetration was a priority. The same concept holds true today. Perhaps even the American Police forces may want this weapon even in semi-auto form.

I look forward to taking a closer look at this weapon when one becomes available in the flesh or should one say in the polymer.

George Hill
February 2, 2003, 08:55 PM
Canada was a joke. I found it at a gunshow... the last gunshow I went to in fact. I got 5 high caps and this 20 rounds for about a hundred bucks.

All work great in my 92FS, so I expect them to work well in this carbine.

Cheap 9mm ammo is all over the place. You can pick up a 100 round box from Walmart for about 10 bucks.
If you want cheaper - you have to go down to .22LR!

If you enjoyed reading about "New Beretta Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!