One Shot & Stuck Cases

PDA

Hondo 60
October 5, 2011, 12:23 PM
I said in another thread that I haven't had a stuck case issue with One Shot.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=618319

I wonder does the caliber being resized make a difference?

The only rifle caliber I reload is .223.
Perhaps it works well with that caliber & not others?
Or maybe it's just my technique.

If you've used Hornady One Shot & had a stuck case what caliber was it?

I think this could be an interesting thread.
Also might give Hornady some clue as to why there are stuck cases using their product.

If you enjoyed reading about "One Shot & Stuck Cases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DILLONHELP
October 5, 2011, 12:46 PM
While we don't keep track of calibers, we do receive more complaints of stuck cases where One Shot is used than with all other case lubes combined. That does not rule out improper use BTW.

rcmodel
October 5, 2011, 12:48 PM
IMO: People stick cases with spray lube of any brand for one of three reasons.

#1 They didn't let the solvent carrier dry fully after spraying.
#2 They sprayed with the heads of the cases setting down inside a loading block.
#3 They did both.

In the first, you are trying to size using alcohol or other solvent for lube.

In the second, the thickest & hardest to size part of the case isn't getting any lube on it.

I haven't used a lube pad in probably 20 years, and I haven't had a stuck case for longer then that.

But I spray a mixing bowl full of cases, hand stir, and spray again.
Then let them set for at least 10-15 minutes with additional stirring to allow the solvent to evaporate fully.
Then I wipe any excess lube off with my fingers, and make sure they all have lube all over them as I pick it up to size it.

rc

ReloaderFred
October 5, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm with rc on this. I've been using spray lubes since they first came out and haven't had a stuck case in any caliber, including .45-120 Sharps, which is a 3.25" long case.

Most stuck cases are caused by not following the directions, mainly letting the cases set long enough for the carrier to dry and leave the wax behind. You just can't spray and size immediately, period.

I even use the spray lube (Winchester brand at the present time, since it was on closeout at Midway a couple of years ago) to swage bullets in my C-H Swaging Dies. That puts much more stress on the lube than case sizing does.

Stuck cases aren't the fault of the lube, at least in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rcmodel
October 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
I might add that I think One-Shot gets such a bad rap because they probably sell 10 times more of it to new reloaders then any other brand.

rc

X-Rap
October 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
I lay mine in a 24 pack beer box or low sided box like soup cans come in. Spray them and then roll around and spray again. Make sure the alc. has dried and you should be good. I like the Dillon or Cabelas lube in the pump bottle. I have a can of one shot, I'll give it a try and see how it works for me.

cfullgraf
October 5, 2011, 02:46 PM
There seems like alot of waste with spray on lubricants due to over spray. Hence, i may not be a liberal in application as needed.

Spraying cases in a box or bowl probably reduces the waste particularly if you don't clean out the lubricant from the receptacle before the next batch.

Somebody is having success with spray on lubricants as there are several on the market.

I have never gotten a case stuck with spray on lubricants, but have come close. The only stuck case I have ever had was due to operator error. I let the case pad get too dry.

Seedtick
October 5, 2011, 03:25 PM
Spraying cases in a box or bowl probably reduces the waste particularly if you don't clean out the lubricant from the receptacle before the next batch.

Yep.

I always use the same gallon zip-lock bag and I only add spray every second or third time I use it. But I only use it to make sizing pistol cases take less effort. I use Imperial Sizing Wax for rifle cases.

Seedtick

:)

popper
October 5, 2011, 04:13 PM
One-Shot. .308, almost 30-30. Yes, I let it dry. Yes, I used a loading block. Yes, it is wasteful, but quick and easy. Problem is that toward the end of the can, you can't tell if it is propellant or lube on the case. Same problem as spray paint, but you cannot see 'color'. I'm back to the old fashioned way, with the fingers.

sugarmaker
October 5, 2011, 04:39 PM
Put the cases in a gallon ziploc freezer bag. Stick the nozzle into the mostly closed bag and give it a shot, shake around a bit, repeat a couple more times. Close up the bag, massage the cases around a bit, done. Dump into bin, load the primer tubes and powder measure, start loading. Bag captures ALL of the mist, cases get well lubed, takes about a minute. No lube on hands or anything else but cases. 200 .223's per bagful.

chrome_austex
October 5, 2011, 07:50 PM
I called the LEE helpdesk after my 3rd or 4th stuck 223 case with One-shot. They said the same thing DILLONHELP is saying, and recommended that I switch to a wax lube immediately. Apparently I can't screw up a wax lube.

Sure enough, zero stuck cases with a wax lube so far (and may hundreds of rounds later). One-shot will never touch my brass again (even it it is all noob reloader error).

1KPerDay
October 5, 2011, 07:52 PM
I stuck a .30-06 case with one shot... first case I ever tried to size. That was enough for me. Bought the tools to extract the case, switched some imperial sizing wax, no further issues.

I still use one-shot to lube huge piles of auto pistol brass, though... makes them run slicker through the sizing dies, and at least I get to use up my can of one-shot. :D

T Bran
October 5, 2011, 08:13 PM
When I first bought my setup a few years ago I also bought a can of ONE SHOT but after the horror stories would not take the chance. I did use some as a sealer on a knife handle I made worked ok for that the wood sucks it up and it was dry in record time.
I use a tiny ammount of STP on my fingers about every other case or two and then rinse in acetone air dries in no time. Have never had a case even consider sticking and a couple hundred 30/06 cases only takes a few drops to do.
I may try the ONE SHOT in the ziplock trick to use it up but it still gives me the heebie-jeebies.
T

EddieNFL
October 5, 2011, 09:42 PM
#2 They sprayed with the heads of the cases setting down inside a loading block.
#3 They did both.

#4 OS isn't as slick as other lubes.

I used one can of OS and never stuck a case (mostly 5.56 and .308), but I can pick out a case lubed with OS just by the amount or resizing force required.

OS works, but better lubes are available.

Master Blaster
October 5, 2011, 09:42 PM
I stuck a .223 case using one shot and tore the head right off in my Rock chucker, in my RCBS die set. Then the same day I did the same thing with my Lee die set, when it happened with the Lees I used the decapping pin to pound the case out. The RCBS die set I had to send to RCBS along with $7 so they could remove it. Both times it was with one shot. I now use imperial sizing die wax and my fingers,and have also used Dillon lube and never stuck a case with either. The oneshot, the only can I bought, went into the trash that same day.
When I used the One shot I followed the directions on the can sprayed the cases laying on an old towel, rolled them sprayed them again, and rolled them again and let them dry.

CHALK22
October 5, 2011, 11:30 PM
I have stuck two .223 cases using One Shot lube. That being said, I am pretty sure it was my fault. I have been setting them up in my RCBS loading blocks, and spraying them. I would be willing to bet that I misses one of the corner cases when I was turning it. Other than that I have had no issues. Now I spray them and dump them in the case feeder, flip it on, and while it is loading the drop tube I figure it is also mixing up the cases adn allowing the alcohol or whatever to evaporate. Get a few primer tubes loaded and we are ready to go.

Hondo 60
October 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
Well, I'm sure I'm guilty of not letting it dry long enough.
And I'm sure that I don't miss any of the cases.

Maybe that's the trick, apply liberally.

I'm also sure that quite a few in here cringe at the word "liberal or liberally" :D
(me too)

One more thing - I actually don't use OS on my 223 cases anymore.
A member here made up some lube with lanolin & I'm guessing alcohol.
He was kind enough to send a free bottle for me to test.

If he ever gives permission I'll mention his handle, cuz the stuff works perfectly.
And he can certainly make a few bucks selling it.

sugarmaker
October 6, 2011, 11:03 AM
Also with one shot it's really important to shake the can until the ball rattles freely. It can really settle out after a couple of weeks and I spend longer shaking the can than I do spraying the lube. Otherwise you get solvent and no lube.

Hondo 60
October 6, 2011, 11:04 AM
But I DO use One Shot on 7.62x25 Tokarev
The only stuck case I've had was my fault.
I tried to run 2 or 3 more w/o lube, hoping there was enough left in the die.

pbratton
October 6, 2011, 11:51 AM
The Dillon spray is a lanolin mix.

alsaqr
October 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
I might add that I think One-Shot gets such a bad rap because they probably sell 10 times more of it to new reloaders then any other brand.

Bingo.

Never had a problem with One Shot. Shake very well, hold the spray nozzle at an angle of about 45 degrees, spray an even coat of the One Shot on the cases, wait about one minute and start depriming. i re-load 15,000-40,000 rounds of centerfire ammo every year.

gamestalker
October 6, 2011, 08:24 PM
I used Lee dry lube for many years, and then 8 or so years ago I switched because of the obvious convienence of a spray on, Dillon actually. With either of those I have never had a single stuck case.

The first time I used the Dillon I actually ran one through the FL die still wet and it almost stuck, and it had lube dents. So I stopped right there and let the others completely dry, the rest were like silk going through the die after that. The Dillon clearly states, as do the other spray on types, allow to dry completely!

spclpatrolgroup
October 7, 2011, 11:56 AM

As per instructions. I followed them to a, and toor the rim off a case. I went back to the lube pad, I guess if its not broke, dont fix it.

The Hornady One-Shot Case Lube is the most popular case and tool lube on the market. The One-Shot Case Lube is clean, non-sticky, quick and easy to use, and the non-petroleum wax will not contaminate powder or primers. The aerosol spray can allows you to lube an entire block of cases in one shot, which is great when loading large quantities of ammunition.

ranger335v
October 7, 2011, 02:07 PM
RC: IMO: People stick cases with spray lube of any brand for one of three reasons.

#3 They did both.

Agree. And, tho I'm not there, I'd add:

#4 Failure to properly shake the can well before and during use.

I've found every commercial case lube made will work fine if it's used correctly. Not much of anything is any good if it's not used/applied correctly but it seems unfair to blame the lube for that. ??

SlamFire1
October 7, 2011, 05:30 PM
I would like to know how many of the people who are successfully using spray lubes are small base sizing rifle cartridges.

I small base size 223, 308 and 30-06. If I could find more small base dies I would size in those calibers.

After much testing I found two lubricants that will not stick a case in a small base die, and those are RCBS water soluble and Imperial sizing wax. Mink oil shoe polish worked, and was so similiar to Imperial that they may be the same stuff.

I would like to hear testimonals from spray on lube uses and how well these lubes worked with small base dies.

Kingcreek
October 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
After 2 or 3 stuck cases in 223 I left the one shot for the pistol brass in carbide dies only. I don't believe it was not waiting long enough or position while spraying because my stuck cases were in the middle of a batch.

floydster
October 7, 2011, 08:57 PM
Never had any luck with One Shot, three stuck cases resizing for my .222 was enough for me. Back to RCBS case lube.

Master Blaster
October 8, 2011, 05:50 AM
Before you use that One Shot ya gotta ask your self "Do Ya Feel Lucky?"

Well do Ya?

FROGO207
October 8, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have had great luck with ONE SHOT and have had NO stuck cases as long as I shake well, apply liberally, AND let dry completely. Boys is that stuff expensive though. I searched on the interweb and found out how to make my own Lanolin based brass lube. You have to use 91-98% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin. Regular rubbing alcohol will not work at all neither will lanolin products with any water content. I use about a 10% lanolin mix in mine. The article said to mix warm on a double boiler on the stove, I do not bother with this step. I mixed in a clear hand sprayer that I use to dispense with and shake gently/often as I spray to keep the lanolin in suspension. You can see the yellow lanolin when it separates. I got the isopropyl at the drug store but had to go to the health food store to get the water free liquid lanolin. It was the NOW brand of liquid lanolin that was advertised as water extracted, used for skin moisturizing. Just apply mixture well. I use a quart yogurt container and put brass in, spray some in, mix by hand, repeat twice, pour out onto old cookie sheet to dry. Reusing the container without cleaning gives more economy, I just put the lid on till the next time I need to use it and add more brass after removing the cover for the next cycle.

Peter M. Eick
October 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
I like one shot also for pistol rounds. I have a plastic box (old baby wipe box) that I have fill with brass. I then spray it down reasonably and close the lid and shake the brass for 20 to 30 seconds. I then open it and just start reloading. No problems.

GP100man
October 9, 2011, 01:06 PM
I use the pad with RCBS Lube II ,then rinse it off with warm to hot water & let em dry .

hddeluxe
October 9, 2011, 01:38 PM
When I first started reloading, I was very meticulous about following all directions concerning all parts of the reloading sequence including lubing of rifle cases. I used One Shot from the start, and have not had a stuck case on over 4 years and probably 20,000 rounds. Mostly 223 with 30-06 and .270. I have tried other lubes along the way, but because of the ease of application, I have gone back to One Shot

Smokengun
October 9, 2011, 04:14 PM
I use a plastic box with a hinged lid. The box is 24"x24"x3". Put the brass in, spray Franklin's lube, and shack. I use this method to prep 223, 308, & 30-06 and never had a stuck case.

suzukisam
October 9, 2011, 08:00 PM
I used lee, and several others for several years and several thousand rounds... I switched to OS and use the gallon bag method... I have never stuck a case. I always shoot a little inside my die and let that dry too... the question you have to ask yourself is what is your time worth to you.. I have no problem burning through a can of one shot praying very liberally, based solely on the time it saves me.. if your trying to be stingy with oneshot is will bite you in the brass big time.... you gotta be liberal.. spray a bag of say 50 rounds, shake it up, repeat three or four times... and then pour them out into a plastic coffee can and let them sit I have never stuck a case that way.. and for pistol brass it's a dream

Hondo 60
October 9, 2011, 08:58 PM
suzukisam said: you gotta be liberal..

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

USSR
October 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
^^^^^ - Glad to see somebody caught that, Hondo_60.

I have no problem burning through a can of one shot praying very liberally...

Praying when you use One Shot may be the way to go.;)

Don

germ
October 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
Like many others I use OS on pistol brass, just because it allows a progressive to run so much smoother. I found Imperial to be superior to others for rifle.

Not long after first trying OS, I was at Lowe's and ran across a can of DuPont "Teflon Multi-Use", dry wax lubricant. It looks, feels and smells exactly like OS but is quite a bit less expensive. Comes in an 11oz spray can. Seems to me like it works exactly the same. It's instructions also say to shake can well and to let dry completely.

suzukisam
October 9, 2011, 10:42 PM
yeah I actually edited out my own personal comment on "liberal" as to not start an off topic discussion... I was going to say it is the only time that it is acceptable!:eek:

Montana Griz
October 10, 2011, 12:37 AM
I'm surprised no one has has mentioned the possibility of getting some of the lube into the INSIDE of the case neck, thus possibly reducing the amount of required neck tension on the bullet. Does anyone (in a seperate step) wipe out the inside of the case neck (maybe with alcohol on a que-tip) before seating the bullet?

788Ham
October 10, 2011, 12:48 AM
I've used OS since it first hit the market, never had a case stick yet! I've loaded gobs of .223 and `06's, 44 mag, .357's and .375 Win carts. I set them in a block, shake and spray. I've never had any problems with bullet seating either, must get enough inside the neck. I bought 2 new cans at the last GS.

evan price
October 10, 2011, 06:10 AM
I use the Lyman Kwik-Spray lube. I stand up 50 cases at a time in a plastic tray, spray all 4 sides at an angle so some goes in the case mouth, then let sit fifteen minutes or so. By the time I am ready for the next tray it is usually dry.

I know people who have tried Pam cooking spray, don't see why it wouldn't work, you can even use the Butter flavored Pam if you like popcorn!

suzukisam
October 10, 2011, 09:56 AM
montana.. I always tumble after sizing... I kinda assumemd that would prevent lube in the necks

Master Blaster
October 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
:)Some of you folks who claim to have loaded 20,000+ rounds using oneshot without a single stuck case need to go out right now and buy a Powerball, or a Mega lotto Because you will definately Win!!!!:neener:

After that you need to get back to work in Grand Isle, my LNL needs some new springs and they are on Backorder.

amlevin
October 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
"One Shot" wouldn't be as much a problem if they renamed it "Two Shot". All the stuck case incidents I have SEEN is due to someone being too cheap with the spray.

I prefer to use Dillon's Spray Lube when doing a large quantity of ammo but I follow their suggestion of laying the cases out on paper or a cookie sheet. I also have great success of putting the cases in a gallon sized zip-lock bag, spraying the cases, closing up the bag and tumbling them around by hand. I then just dump the cases into an empty coffee container to dry for a while before putting them in the case feeder.

Patrad
November 9, 2011, 01:43 AM
SlamFire1: To answer your post, I've been using OS for so long that I don't remember when I started. I use it on 223 & 308 exclusively. 308 FL dies & 223 SB dies. I've NEVER had a stuck case with either caliber - a few stubborn ones - but ZERO stuck. I have been very guilty of loading block usage, but apparently, I use enough OS to compensate for that apparent mistake. Still using the very first set of SB 223 & FL 308 dies that I bought around 1981-82. I WILL be more careful from now on though!

Thanks,
Y'all take care.

popper
November 9, 2011, 11:28 AM
I had a stuck case with O-S, when using a loading block. Monday I did 250 .243 by laying them on a plastic sheet. Nary a one got stuck. I did 308ME in a baggie with the O-S, worked well also. Guess it isn't so bad after all. Works good to eliminate squeaky door hinges also.

scythefwd
November 9, 2011, 01:22 PM
Stuck 1 .308 case.

It was a lake city match case. They're WAY harder than .30-06. Think my can is running low though... so I may need to spray a bit more.

Bush Pilot
November 9, 2011, 01:53 PM
I use OS when running straight wall cases through carbide dies on my Dillon (spray and LET DRY) For bottle neck cases I use STOS from Ponsness Warren (yes, the shotgun guys) STOS is the best lube I've ever found (ask some of the Dillon boys)

ranger335v
November 9, 2011, 02:23 PM
I've been reloading for several decades and have never had a stuck case that wasn't my fault for improper application or testing of subsitute lubes - which was also my fault, right? Never found any difference at all in brand of dies, amount of change to the cases nor which way the wind was blowing; use a correct lube - any of them - and apply it correctly, there will be no stuck cases.

I've never used a small base die in my life - never needed one - but I've reformed a lot of military .30-06 to .243, 6mm International and .22-250 with no sticking. I doubt a SB would put that much stress on the process, so maybe lubing well will keep cases from sticking in SB dies too. ??

gamestalker
November 9, 2011, 06:38 PM
I used Lee dry lube for many years, and then started using Dillon spray probably 10 or 15 years ago, and haven't ever had a stuck case with either method. I also use a Q tip to lube the inside of the case and let everything dry for 10-15 minutes before sizing.

jonn5335
November 9, 2011, 09:12 PM
I've never had a stuck case and hornady one shot is all I use for 7mm rem mag, 6.5x55, 9mm luger, 6x45, 300 weatherby, 30-06 , 300 wsm and 40 S&W as stated by previous posters I use a bowl and spray while I shake it

jcwit
November 9, 2011, 10:02 PM
I've never had a stuck case and hornady one shot is all I use for 7mm rem mag, 6.5x55, 9mm luger, 6x45, 300 weatherby, 30-06 , 300 wsm and 40 S&W as stated by previous posters I use a bowl and spray while I shake it

And A. J. Foyt never hit the wall at Indy till he was in his 50's. The above post just says it hasn't happened------------------------------------------------- YET.

Bmac1949
November 9, 2011, 10:52 PM
Started off with the Lee case lube and then tried one of the sprays, can't remember which one. Someone suggested using mink oil. I gave it a try and haven't used anything else. A little dab'll do ya and it doen't seem to gum up the sizing die as bad as some. Actually I haven't had to deal with a stuck case so far. In fact I had a bad habit of wrikling the sholders of the case from too much lube when I started reloading.

jcwit
November 9, 2011, 11:05 PM
Unique Case Lube, Mink Oil, Lanolin from the baby section at WM, all are excellent case lubes.

bigedp51
November 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
For you "non-farmer types" here is the best case lube you will ever resize cases with.
(99.7% Petroleum-Lanolin Base and it keeps your hands utterly soft) Honest Abe used it to load his rifle. ;)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/BagBalm_.jpg

And I've never gotten any teats or a case stuck yet.:D

GLOOB
November 11, 2011, 04:46 PM
... the thickest & hardest to size part of the case isn't getting any lube on it.
The directions on my Frankford Arsenal spray lube tell you to do exactly this.

I always thought it was the part of the case directly behind the shoulder that needed the most lube. Whenever I used to use Lee lube, I twirled it on this part of the case, only. Top half of the case, below the shoulder.

I read that on another thread, and it always worked. I've stuck two cases, but not when using Lee lube this way.

If you enjoyed reading about "One Shot & Stuck Cases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!