Shell Holder wear?

PDA

tc300mag1
January 27, 2004, 09:53 PM
Can a shell holder wear out ? Im noticing some wobble on my 223 holder that wasnt there before plan on picking up a new one friday. I have loaded many thousand rounds with this holder it has enough wobble that as im cycling the press the case can fall out .

Also it is the shell holder and not the ram i checked that and this is only caliber doing it

If you enjoyed reading about "Shell Holder wear?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Paul "Fitz" Jones
January 27, 2004, 10:10 PM
Well now you know its life span and at least a shell holder or at least some shell holders are cheap.

Fitz

stans
January 28, 2004, 06:36 AM
Sounds like a poorly made shell holder. Shell holders are usually made of steel, casings are usually brass. Brass is much softer than steel, therefore brass should wear out before steel when the two are in contact with each other. Sure it isn't your brass wearing out?

Mal H
January 28, 2004, 09:11 AM
"Many thousands" is usually in the category of just barely broken in. If you recall, what brand was the old one? Is there visible wear on it?

Edward429451
January 28, 2004, 10:55 AM
Try slipping a few factory loaded rounds in it to see if they wobble. I bet it's the brass and not the shellholder. I use a couple shellholders from the 60's that have had multiple K's of rounds reloaded through them and they do not seem loose.

Or maybe its just a particular brand of brass thats doing it...Let us know what you find out.

tc300mag1
January 28, 2004, 11:58 AM
Its a Rcbs i think. Picked up a lee last night was all local shop had and doesnt wobble with any cases..

The one i was asking about even has the wobble with brand new ammo didnt have just empty cases to try out.

I know ive loaded a lot more ammo in 45acp than 223 and it doesnt show this i thought it was weird must have been weak part to begin with

Thanks all

J Miller
January 28, 2004, 11:50 PM
Yes they can be worn out. I have several that are, all RCBS. They may be steel, but when you are sizing and decapping cases all forms of abrasive junk falls out of the cases and over a period of time the openings just wear out. I have at least two sometimes three for every caliber I load a lot of.
I use the worn ones in the press with the universal decapping die, and the best ones when sizing the cases and loading the ammo.

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Shell Holder wear?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!