.380 and HS-6

PDA

J_McLeod
October 7, 2011, 01:52 AM
Does anyone use HS-6 with a 95 gr FMJ? I can't find any published data for it, even though Lee and Lyman publish data for powders with similar burn speeds.

If you enjoyed reading about ".380 and HS-6" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 7, 2011, 12:44 PM
That you can't find data for it is what we like to call a clue.

If it was suitable, Hodgdon would want to sell you some, and publish data for it.

I would imagine you couldn't get enough of it in a .380 case to get any velocity you could easily exceed with other more suitable powders.

HS-6 burns best at much higher pressure then you can safely use in .380 ACP.

rc

J_McLeod
October 7, 2011, 01:38 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I had considered that it might be to slow, but forgot that it usually take more of it than some other powders.

Galil5.56
October 7, 2011, 02:46 PM
My Sierra #3 has 95 grain jacketed .380 Auto data for HS-6; nice and snappy too. PM me, and I'll send it to you.

Much "slower", much bulkier propellants than HS-6 are/have been published for use in 380 Auto, i.e. Blue Dot. Who knows for certain and for all reasons why a certain maker or publisher does not include certain propellants per application... It does not mean by any stretch exclusively, that its exclusion equals not being suitable on a ballistic performance metric.

If you enjoyed reading about ".380 and HS-6" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!