Ruger redhawk

PDA

Damon555
October 7, 2011, 04:46 PM
I have a chance to pick up a Ruger redhawk .44 mag with a 7.5" barrel and coco bolo grips. It looks like it's in mint condition and has been fired very little. My buddy offered it to me for $400. I was going to offer him $450 but he spit out the lower price before I even made my offer. I told him I'd think about it....I have been wanting to add a 44 mag to my collection for a long time and it looks like now is the time. Would you guys "pull the trigger" on this deal?

I should clarify that I was looking for a single action gun. I don't know much about that particular model Ruger and am a little leary about the added weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger redhawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Super Sneaky Steve
October 7, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yup, you should get that one for sure.

Bio-Chem
October 7, 2011, 05:26 PM
$50 less than what you were going to offer and you are questioning the purchase? Yeah, you should definitively make the purchase if you want a .44 in your safe

Damon555
October 7, 2011, 05:31 PM
It has less to do with the money than it does with the size and weight. The super blackhawk was the direction I was headed in....I'll most likely be toting it around deer hunting.

Mike1234567
October 7, 2011, 05:43 PM
If I had the cash in hand and could inspect it first-hand I wouldn't hesitate at that price.

Remllez
October 7, 2011, 05:54 PM
The Redhawk is arguably the better deer gun given the 2 choices. If you reload even better still. $400.00 is closer to a Blackhawk price than that Redhawk. Heck buy it, you can always trade down to a Blackhawk but doubt you ever will.

Walkalong
October 7, 2011, 06:42 PM
I love Redhawks (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=114475&d=1264876744), and $400 is a great deal. Buy it.

Owen Sparks
October 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hand him $350 in cash and ask him if that will do. Don't ask if he will take $350, let him count it first. A lot of times people will go down on the price once they get their hands on the money.

Mike1234567
October 7, 2011, 08:01 PM
^^^ That could be a good way to damage a friendship.

content
October 7, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Great revolver at a great price, sounds like your buddy knew you were looking for a 44mag and is helping you as much as himself.

The double action -vs- a lighter single action is entirely your call.
I like the Redhawk better but have seen some amazing shots with a Blackhawk.

I had a 7 1/2" RH 44mag in the 1980s and now have a 5" RH 44mag and a 7 1/2" BH 30 cal. All three were well worth the money.

Hope you find what works for you.

LeonCarr
October 7, 2011, 08:29 PM
Get it....the Redhawk in any caliber blue or stainless is a gem for 400 bucks.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

skidder
October 7, 2011, 10:09 PM
I paid $380 for my Redhawk in 1996. They are running around $750 for new ones. If you don't buy that for $400, I'm going to jump through this screen and show you some common sense. :D

Damon555
October 7, 2011, 10:33 PM
Ok, I told him to send it my way. If I don't like it I can put it towards the single action I was looking at in the first place.

skidder
October 7, 2011, 10:43 PM
You don't need a single-action when you have a classic Redhawk. With a Redhawk you get the best of both worlds.;)

beatledog7
October 8, 2011, 12:04 AM
You'll like it.

QuarkMartial
October 8, 2011, 12:31 AM
I'd jump on it.

You guys with the factory grips on your Redhawks - How can you shoot them like that? I think that's the biggest disappointment with my Redhawk. I've got to keep a pair of Pachmayrs on there so it'll be comfortable to shoot. I'd much rather have some pretty wood grips, but nothing's worked so far.

woad_yurt
October 8, 2011, 09:32 AM
That's a pretty good price. If you're longing for single action shooting, you can always cock it before you pull the trigger.

KansasPaul
October 8, 2011, 09:50 AM
You made a good choice in buying the redhawk. I own both a Blackhawk and a Redhawk - for me, the grip shape of the Redhawk allows for a more comfortable hold and it does a great job of enabling me to control recoil. I've been a handloader for a few years now and I love the flexibility the .44 allows. I can shoot light hardcast loads for plinking (feels like a mall caliber gun) or load it up to full house heavy bullets that will drop a bear. I have not had a single problem with the gun. The trigger pull in DA is a little heavy but given what you paid for the gun you could install (or have installed) a Wolfe spring set that will make the action feel easier - you'll still be below the going value of a what a used Redhawk goes for.

CraigC
October 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
If you want a single action, don't buy the Redhawk. Wait and get the one you want. There is nothing "better" about the Redhawk over a Super Blackhawk. Just different.

igousigloo
October 8, 2011, 08:25 PM
Get a box of the hottest loads you can find. Fire one in the Redhawk and then fire one in the Blackhawk and then make your decision.

mesinge2
October 8, 2011, 08:31 PM
Just do it. You know you want to :D

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/My%20heaters/109.jpg

bentongunclub
October 8, 2011, 10:11 PM
i can't make a deal for ****. I just paid $690 for a nice used Redhawk, Pachy gripes, and one box of shells. How come nobody offers me one for $400.

MachIVshooter
October 9, 2011, 01:57 AM
It has less to do with the money than it does with the size and weight.

Take that other $50 you were going to offer, double it and take it to a good smith to have it shortened to 4" or 5" and have a new sight installed.

The only way you'll get noticeably lighter is a S&W airweight, and they bite your hand. A 29/629 is only a couple ounces lighter with the same barrel length.

Stainz
October 9, 2011, 07:40 AM
I don't like Redhawks... had one in .45 Colt. In fact, I got rid of all of my Rugers - now I have fewer revolvers - but all they are S&W. Of course, that doesn't detract from the fact that you were offered a great deal. If you want a .44 Magnum revolver to hunt with now, $400 for a good condition Redhawk is between a good buy and a steal.... I'd grab it!

Good luck!

Stainz

NMGonzo
October 9, 2011, 09:12 AM
i can't make a deal for ****. I just paid $690 for a nice used Redhawk, Pachy gripes, and one box of shells. How come nobody offers me one for $400.

You and me brother, people here want crazy money for their stuff.

just for fun
October 9, 2011, 05:29 PM
Had one of the first 5 1/2 inch models that was sold to Tucson. That was one outstanding gun with one major draw back. Had a rough stop in the barrel and leaded badly. Like shoot 50 rounds and clean it for hours. Tried JB pasting it for hours on end with the same results. Sold to a guy at work and told him upfront about the leading. Stated it was going to be a backup for his rifle and won't be shot that much!

Damon555
October 13, 2011, 04:58 PM
Well, went and picked her up today...Man this thing is a beast! I bet it's going to be a blast to shoot. Now it's just a matter of working up some loads for it and shooting the crap out of it!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/edlafond/Weapons/RedHawk.jpg

mesinge2
October 13, 2011, 07:01 PM
Damn nice grips on that beauty!!!

Can't wait for the range report.

Legionnaire
October 13, 2011, 07:58 PM
Great gun at an excellent price; good get! Like the grips, too. Must provide a range report.

Nutbustd
October 13, 2011, 11:18 PM
I have one and love it great gun !! I put Wulff springs in, smoothed the trigger and hammer a tab and what a shooter. Handles the hottest reloads with ease. I usually just use mild loads though. Guys at the range like shootin it. Range report please

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger redhawk" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!