9mm nickel brass

PDA

hvychev77
October 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
hey guys, i got a ton of free brass from a buddy of mine for 9mm, probably about 2000 pieces. some of it is old and dirty, some not salvageable, but most of it is good condition. who am i to complain since it's free right? anyways, my question is in reference to reloading the 'nickel' or silver colored brass. There is some mixed in with it and i was wondering if i need to treat it differently than regular brass? thanks guys, hvychev77

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm nickel brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
res45
October 9, 2011, 08:17 PM
I don't treat nickel plated semi auto brass any differently,it cleans up faster compared to regular brass. Nickel plated brass tends split or crack more often than brass but in a semi you will probably loose it before that becomes an issue.

On the nasty brass a friend sent me some 9mm NATO brass that was in pretty bad shape,I soaked it in a batch of LemiShine 1 spoonful to 1 qt. hot tap water for about an hour agitated it on occasion and rinsed with clean water and let dry. Once I tumble it for a couple hours it look as good as new.

W.E.G.
October 9, 2011, 08:27 PM
Nickel-plated brass is sometimes more brittle than regular brass.

Watch for neck-splits.

squarles67
October 9, 2011, 08:50 PM
I don't treat it any different. I throw it away when the nickle starts to flake or the neck splits.

Walkalong
October 9, 2011, 09:15 PM
Load it the same.

Hondo 60
October 9, 2011, 09:22 PM
I load it the same as brass.

+1 to watching for flaking or cracking.

hvychev77
October 9, 2011, 09:42 PM
thanks guys, kinda what i figured.......

1SOW
October 10, 2011, 01:27 AM
Ditto

Sure is pretty with Montana Gold bullets.

gamestalker
October 10, 2011, 02:54 AM
I like to use nickel for my carry rounds. Standard brass gets pretty nasty looking in a very short time frame, especially in a wheel gun.

greyling22
October 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
res45, I found that vinegar works well too. especially when followed up with some brasso and a sock, then the tumbler.

(I don't bother with 9mm, but oh the things I'll do to salvage a piece of hard to find brass.)

tekarra
October 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
I treat the nickel plated brass the same as non-plated. Some of my nickel plates have only a trace of nickel remaining, but I will keep reloading them until the necks split.

LBEE
October 10, 2011, 09:19 PM
Nichael Plated Brass is Hard on Dies, Best place for it is in the trash, IMO

glenns
October 10, 2011, 09:24 PM
Nickel brass sure is purdy!

TonyT
October 10, 2011, 09:53 PM
Nickel platewd brass will clean up a bit faster than the normal but you will probably expereince fewer relaods wih the nickeld brass - it appears to becpome mor brittle with time.

1SOW
October 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Nichael Plated Brass is Hard on Dies, Best place for it is in the trash, IMO

Where did you learn that?

JDGray
October 10, 2011, 10:19 PM
Love plated brass! My 9mm brass has so many loads on it, I lost count. I have been replacing my sizing die alot:neener:

Fishslayer
October 11, 2011, 12:03 AM
I keep the nickel plated separate till I have 50 and then load up my HP zombie loads. They don't tarnish like yellow brass.

Other than that they get treated the same.

gamestalker
October 11, 2011, 01:36 AM
When I'm loading a high powered rifle application with nickel, I always do a complete new load work up, because the case capacity is seriously reduced from that of a brass cartridge. But I like nickel, and especially since it doesn't tarnish like brass does.

I've been loading nickel plated in both handgun and high powered rifle for many years, I have yet to damage my dies. Dies get damaged when reloader's don't clean their brass, not because they used nickel plated. Even if I'm resizing handgun brass on a carbide die, I still don't resize it until it's been tumbled for a little bit. I'm honestly more concerned about what debrie would do to a case, rather than the die.

hvychev77
October 11, 2011, 07:03 AM
i always tumble my pistol brass before loading, plated or not, and i use carbide dies for this caliber. i was just curious about the nickel plated........i had the tumbler runnin' while i was ridin' circles on the lawnmower. When i got done, they was all purty and new lookin'. I certainly didn't have the heart to throw them in the trash............hvychev77

LBEE
October 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
If you want a complete story on how Nickel Brass is Hard on Dies & a lot of other information on Shooting, Reloading, etc. Visit Varmint Al web site for a lot of good information. varmintal.com

snuffy
October 11, 2011, 03:47 PM
LBEE

Brass
Nickel Plated Brass is Hard on Dies, Best place for it is in the trash, IMO

Internet myth perpetuated by people with little to no common sense

LBEE If you want a complete story on how Nickel Brass is Hard on Dies & a lot of other information on Shooting, Reloading, etc. Visit Varmint Al web site for a lot of good information. varmintal.com

See what I mean? I do not trust varmint Al at all. Most of his stuff is male cow excrement. Problem is, he puts his wrong info on his own website, it gets quoted so often, it A L M O S T becomes true. Repeat a lie often enough it becomes fact.
Edit;Someone starts an internet rumor and voila millions of experts are born! ripped from another thread here, quote by uniquedot.

Truth is, nickel is NOT hard enough to even cut mild steel. AND steel reloading dies are made of high carbon steel, that's heat treated to be very hard.

Nickel plating is actually electroless nickel. It is very thin and only slightly harder than plain brass.

Way back in the old days,(1950's), nickel plating was like most plating, the plating was much thicker and came loose much easier. Early nickel plated cases were created for law enforcement LEO's for placing the cases in leather belt loops on there holster rigs. The left-over chemicals used to cure leather would turn plain brass cases green in a matter of days. Rendering it impossible to chamber a round in the 38's they carried. Nickle plated would last for months.

LBEE
October 11, 2011, 06:06 PM
Do as you wish, I like Varmint Al, I have learned a lot from his web site, I will still trow all my Nickel Brass in the trash, & you do as you wish, I dont care.

T Bran
October 11, 2011, 06:27 PM
I load nickle plated brass as well as plain old brass if it is harder on dies so be it I use mostly Lee dies any ways and they are not exactly a hi priced item. If a die goes to poop ill order up a new one and keep on rockin. If I was using dies that cost as much as some of my guns the story would likely be different.
T

DickM
October 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
I bought my first centerfire handgun, a .357 Colt Trooper (not Mark IIII) about 40 years ago. It came with a few hundred Super Vel nickel-plated cases. I've since sold the gun (and regretted it ever since), but I've been reloading those cases all that time. I've lost a few here and there due to neck splits, but most of them are still in my regular circulation and quite a few have most of the plating worn off. I've also been using the same dies all that time. Obviously, I don't buy into the myths about shorter case and/or die life with nickel cases.

squarles67
October 12, 2011, 12:29 PM
If nickle was so dang tough it wouldn't be so easy to damage the finish on a nickle plated gun

amlevin
October 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
I like the attitude put forth by some here, "My minds made up, don't try to convince me with facts".

I'm with you snuffy. All those "Internet Experts" with no credentials.

snuffy
October 12, 2011, 01:05 PM
People see that shiny finish, they immediately think CHROME, if they bother to think at all. Why don't they just plate them with chrome? Be cause it IS much harder than the steel dies and the steel in gun barrels, cylinders, and chambers.

As far as tossing them in the trash goes, brass is worth quite a bit to recyclers, money that can be spent buying those "BETTER" plain brass shells!:eek::rolleyes:

One guy somewhere on the internet, maybe ol' V Al, said the nickel brass was so hard it could scratch carbide dies.!!!!:what: Two things can cut carbide, diamond and ceramic cutters. Another genius said he wouldn't load nickel cases because the nickle could flake off, imbed in a bullet, get drug down the barrel, cutting away the rifling! Wow! :rolleyes:

If you don't like it, don't buy premium ammo that comes loaded in nickel cases. Or don't pick it up from the ground at the range, leave it for me!

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm nickel brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!