lee seating die question

PDA

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
hello,
i have a question about the lee bullet seating die in 222 remington. when i go to seat the bullet after it has been sized by the lee collet die, i cant get the bullet to go down to the 2.130 COL. it gets to about 2.160 and then i cant screw it in any further. i would like to know what i am doing wrong or what i need to do in order to get a good overall length. also, im following the instructions on the dies very carefully.
thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "lee seating die question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
October 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
Is the die body touching the shellplate?

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
on the instructions it says to screw the die in until you feel it touch the case.

MtnCreek
October 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
10-4, beyond that it will start to crimp. With the die lowered till it touches the case mouth and the upper adjustment completly lowered, the die will not seat the bullet low enough? Is the case length within spec?

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
yes, the die doesnt seat the bullet low enough. the cases are brand new, but i didnt trim them. could that have an effect?

Walkalong
October 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
Case length has no affect on seating length.

Turn down until the crimp ledge touches. Back off 1/4 or so, then use the seating stem to adjust seating depth.

MtnCreek
October 10, 2011, 03:11 PM
Assuming the crimp is touching the case mouth and the seating depth adjustment is bottomed out, brass 0.03" too long could explain the problem.

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 03:24 PM
thanks mtn, ill think ill trim all of the cases and then seat the bullets.

mgmorden
October 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
Assuming the crimp is touching the case mouth and the seating depth adjustment is bottomed out, brass 0.03" too long could explain the problem.

That would be my guess too. With the die screwed in farther it would seat deeper at a given setting, so untrimmed brass could affect your initial setting making your desired seat depth unachievable.

Try trimming the brass and then go again. Lee makes a really simple trimming system that can be easily used with a standard drill - it's probably the cheapest way to get started there.

Once you get it right what I have done is to make a "reference" round seated to the proper depth. I then use that later if I want to repeat that seat depth - just put the reference round into the press, raise it, and screw down the the seating plug until it contacts the bullet.

JDGray
October 10, 2011, 03:58 PM
Did you get one of the new "Dead Length Seating Dies"? Those you turn down to touch the shell holder+ 1/4 turn.

brass 0.03" too long could explain the problem.
Thats a bit much for sure! do you mean .003"?

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
i think it is just a regular seating die.

ROCKFISH
October 10, 2011, 04:44 PM
I have noticed, that certain bullets (nosler ballistic tip) when properly seated, will measure a bit longer on my caliper. The pointy tip does not contact bullet seater, but they work fine in my rifle.

rcmodel
October 10, 2011, 04:48 PM
The pointy tip of any pointy bullet shoud never contact the seating stem of any seating die.

Pointy rifle bullets are seated off the ogive, not the pointy tip.

rc

JDGray
October 10, 2011, 05:05 PM
^^^Yeah, thats what he said:D^^^

243winxb
October 10, 2011, 06:15 PM
Did you get one of the new "Dead Length Seating Dies"? Just what i was thinking.

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 06:22 PM
i just chambered the round that was "too long" in my 222 and it went in very smoothly. i also compared it to a factory round and the beginning of the pointy tip was below the end of the factory round. the problem is solved. i appreciate the help everyone.

Walkalong
October 10, 2011, 06:51 PM
You never had a problem then, other than the lack of a caliper and a good reloading manual. ;)

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 07:19 PM
i actually did have a good caliper and relaoding manual. i see where youre going with this, making fun of my question.;)

mgmorden
October 10, 2011, 08:23 PM
Nah, it's a valid question - particularly for someone new as you seem to be. COL listed in the loading manuals is not set in stone. You can seat out a little farther, and you can seat a little deeper. Just know that a bullet seated deeper reduces case volume and hence will increase pressures for a given charge. A bullet seated further out will increase volume and result in lower pressures for a given charge. As such, you're usually going to be just fine with a bullet seated a bit farther out - with the exception that if the bullet is so far out as to touch the rifling before being fired, that can cause a pressure spike.

Walkalong
October 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
Not making fun of the question. The solution was so simple it sounded like you had no idea what the OAL length should be and what it was. My bad.

Michael R.
October 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
i was jking about the making fun of my question. i hope you didnt take it seriously.

If you enjoyed reading about "lee seating die question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!