Long sought wheelie - 4" nickel 29

PDA

Oro
October 11, 2011, 06:18 AM
I'd spent a few years hunting down a fairly priced 4" Nickel 29 in high condition. Years I say. It took me almost 15 years of S&W shooting to really embrace the N-frame, I'd always liked the K and L, even embraced a pair of J's in there.

Several years ago I traded into a nice original 2nd Model Hand Ejector in .45 Colt. Learned to love it. Followed rapidly were a 4" 28, a 3.5" 27, and a Lew Horton 3" 629. A few other odd ones. Bear country was a few weekends a year, and that was a great excuse for something in addition to the 629 - it was just too nice to carry, ya' know? ;) The 4" 29 struck me as so beautiful and utilitarian, I had to have one. And in nickel; I didn't have a nickel N frame and seriously needed one. Finally this spring I ran across one locally in a shop I hit once in a while, very fairly priced. In better condition and cheaper than most any online and with no transfer and shipping hassles. Yeah!

In fact, I'd so anticpated this gun, I bought the 4" El Paso Tom Threeperson leather for it two years ago or more. Yep, sometimes I buy the leather for a new gun LONG before I even get the gun... (color me committed, I guess). ;)

I do admit to loving the hammer; I'm a fan of the old wide spur 1911 type hammer on my 1911's. Even retro-fitted one of my Series '70s with it, and some others. But I do love the smooth combat trigger, or if serrated something of narrow or moderate width. The wide target trigger on these makes them much less than, well, target-friendly. But I still loves this gun. A pair of smooth target grips will make it more magnum-friendly, but I love the look of the originals on it; I'd only swap them for a period correct pair of smooth targets.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/S-W/29-2/IMGP1326-1PEF.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/S-W/29-2/IMGP1325-1PEF.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Long sought wheelie - 4" nickel 29" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Remllez
October 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
Oro,

You've got yourself a nice revolver there and that holster.....forget about it!!! Thanks for the pictures, you've reminded me why class is in classic!

BCCL
October 11, 2011, 01:30 PM
Very nice sixgun!

earplug
October 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
Keep the old trigger for the future and find a replacement narrow trigger. You will be happy and it won't cost much.

silverking
October 11, 2011, 03:49 PM
WOW!! The search is on. Beautiful combination!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
I agree, that is a very nice piece! The barrel length is just right. You could go defense with it and even go deer and black bear hunting with it!

All around, a perfect gun!

I'm glad for you!:)

proven
October 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
very nice find! and i like that you bought the leather long ago. :D sounds like something i might do. ;)

Oro
October 12, 2011, 02:59 AM
Keep the old trigger for the future and find a replacement narrow trigger. You will be happy and it won't cost much.

yes, I've considered that. I've done some amatuer smithin' on S&Ws - hammers and triggers are more "mated" than with, say, a 1911 style gun. If I run across a smooth combat trigger affordably I might try dropping it in; the problem is fitting them wears through the case hardening. Once you do that, the soft steel underneath wears rapidly. Iv'e seen (and owned a few) of S&Ws where the case hardened parts were gunsmith fitted and then wore rapidly to the point of being unsafe.

otoh, I had learned to appreciate the value of the wide serrations. It is not pleasant for rapid work, but it is nice for accuracy and makes your trigger stroke less critical; the wide face distributes pressure more linearly.

Proven, I highly recommend scooping up nice leather at a good price. It gives you an incentive to find a classic gun for it; just don't be in a hurry. PS - I used to live in VT; a wonderful place. Washington is one of the few states I could trade it for!

Frank V
October 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
Oro
Nice gun, congratulations. The Smith N frames are great. Now if you want another gun to use when in Bear country & keep that nice nickle new looking, a S&W 329PD. Not nearly as pretty, but very easy to pack & not yet a classic.LOL
Frank

Iggy
October 12, 2011, 10:06 PM
That is one fine looking combination.

I switched out a regular trigger and hammer in my Model 58 that I carried as a LEO back in 1966 and never looked back. I prefer the target versions in my N frames..

bannockburn
October 13, 2011, 12:18 AM
Oro

Sweet looking Model 29 you've got there, along with that great El Paso Saddlery holster. Definitely a top notch combo for carrying.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long sought wheelie - 4" nickel 29" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!