HELP! (Dave McC): Rust undernieth bars inside 870 receiver

PDA

TCW
January 28, 2003, 01:08 AM
Well, if you know the anatomy of an 870, then you know what I'm talking about. They're the bars on either side of the receiver, inside (They sit next to the action bars). Well, I discovered that there is some rust in there (from it's previous owner :cuss: ), and it's the most impossible place to get to with any brush or steel wool. I found the rust w/ a Q-tip.

Would blasting Gun Scrubber and then CLP take care of the rust progression? Some other recommendation?

Yikes!

TCW

If you enjoyed reading about "HELP! (Dave McC): Rust undernieth bars inside 870 receiver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
labgrade
January 28, 2003, 04:55 AM
Disassemble & you can get at the rust easily enough. One of them Scotch pads or 000+ steel wool. CLP afterwards.

not Dave or do I play Dave on any TV show ;)

Dave McCracken
January 28, 2003, 06:20 AM
If there's rust there, chances are there's rust elsewhere. If t'were my 870, I'd break it down, including removal of the stock, soak it in CLP or SLIP 2000 and hightail it to my smith. Those shellcatchers are staked in, and I'm not enough of a smith to feel comfortable in removing them myself. And while the stock's off, it's a good time to seal the end grain of the wood, to stop dry rot and take away a place for moisture to hide.

My guess is that your 870 got submerged before it was yours, the obvious surfaces got lubed but water under the catchers and other hidden areas was left as is. You may also have corrosion in the TG and bolt. Bet the previous owner failed to mention that.

If you're a rugged individualist and/or have no smith, strip it down, use a good cleaner like SLIP's or Gun Scrubber, and follow with lots of lube. Let it sit overnight, wipe off and reassemble.

HTH...

HSMITH
January 28, 2003, 09:42 AM
You can take a screwdriver with some steel wool and (with the trigger group out) polish out the recesses for the shell stops (the rails you are talking about). Put some WD/CLP/whatever on the steel wool and scrub the rust out. You can pop them out gently once and press them back in and they will stay most of the time. If they won't stay in after you take them out it is a very simple matter to re-stake them. Just look at the stakes that are there now and duplicate them.

I agree with Dave that it is time to take it down completely. Check it over thoroughly. Don't leave a coat of CLP or the like behind the shell stops, it will gum up and attract garbage. Pastewax is a good material for places like that. Unless you find serious pitting in there it really is not a big deal.

Guyon
January 28, 2003, 11:33 AM
Roll up your sleeves and get at it... Everyone should know how to disassemble and reassemble his/her gun.

HS/LD
January 28, 2003, 03:55 PM
Now if you had a Winchester Defender with a horrifying Aluminum receiver...

hahahahaha

HS/LD

If you enjoyed reading about "HELP! (Dave McC): Rust undernieth bars inside 870 receiver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!