Best .22 Revolver?

PDA

Mad Jack McMad
October 11, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hello people, i'm looking for a new target revolver and don't really know what to get. The only "must be" is that it is .22LR, if it is a no longer produced model or brand new dosent matter. Finding a used good gun isn't hard if i know what to look for and a new gun is always fun. I haven't really thought about price though, if i find a cheap gun i like that's great but if i find a expensive gun i love that's even better and vice versa.

So bombard me with alternative with their pros and cons.
If you know the approximate price for it that's great too.

/Matthias

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 Revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ratshooter
October 11, 2011, 05:01 PM
a good old K-22 will probably be one of the best. You can still find them for $400 and up. And $400 is for a rough one with lots of finish wear.

Colt made some good 22 revolvers but I have no idea what they sell for. A lot I would guess.

I have never had a Ruger single six that shot bad. A couple were really good. Plus they are affordable for just about anyone.

Ratshooter
October 11, 2011, 05:05 PM
Here is a page from GB. No $400 guns but $600 and up.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?SearchType=0&Timeframe=0&Keywords=k-22&Cat=2325&Items=50

Remllez
October 11, 2011, 05:16 PM
You about covered it.....you could buy a used Smith model 17 or 617, kinda expensive but very nice revolvers. Or there is H&R, some are 9 shot,High Standard which are 9 shot, Iver Johnson or a brand spanking new Ruger SP-101 or Single Six, or Charter Arms and Rossi brand which you can find new or used.

Most of these will be available used for under $400.00 or so. Most of those listed except the Smith & Wesson will not be as nicely finished or have as good a triggers. They will all make decent plinkers or vermin control instruments some will make great target guns usually the more expensive the better they shoot.

I'm pretty sure all of them will shoot shorts, long, long rifle or birdshot, the Ruger Single Six will also shoot .22 magnums if you get the extra cylinder in the package.

BYJO4
October 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
The S&W 17 or 617 are both excellent 22s. They have always had a great reputation for accuracy and hold their value well.

TennJed
October 11, 2011, 05:35 PM
i have only shot a h&r 949 (it was pretty good) and a few ruger single sixs....i have owned 3 of the ruger ss and they have all been awsome...i currently have one that is absolutely a ack driver.

i bought it last year used for 265 (no mag cylinder)

they have impressed my so much i see no reason to look for anything else....so if i was shopping for a new 22 revolver i wouled get a new single ten for the extra capacity....i think they should run about 450 but i honestly havenot priced them

i would also be open to a ruger sp101 just because it is da....in my current set up because i already have a sa....if i didnt have any def go with single six/ten

Cougar
October 11, 2011, 05:37 PM
My Taurus Mod 96(now discontinued) is a very accurate six-shot 6" revolver. It was Taurus' target-model answer to the S&W 17. Benched it can put all six into one ragged hole at 25yds. On Gunbroker they run around $300-350.

Paladin7
October 11, 2011, 06:29 PM
An older S&W Model 17 or 18 - Very fine double action revolvers that are no longer made like these were. The 17 6" is a great target revolver and the 18 4" is a great all around option. The stainless version of the 17 is the 617.

The Ruger Super Single Six - current production single action revolver with the swap cylinder so it shoots 22lr and 22 magnum. Great versatility for target shooting and field use.

These are the 22 Revolvers I like best. Build quality is excellent, accuracy is excellent, triggers are great and they will stand up to lifetimes of use and then some.

I have the Ruger SS Six and the S&W Model 18...great guns that I will pass onto my kids and never sell or trade away.

22-rimfire
October 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
The following are generally considered the best available without going to something made by Korth.

Colt Officers Model Match (or one of its predacessors)
S&W Model 17 or the current Model 617
Colt Diamomdback
Colt Trooper Mark III

NelsErik
October 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
I just went through this myself, and after lots of research I really liked the following:

S&W Model 34 (http://www.gunblast.com/little_big_gun.htm) (1970's model I think)
I like this gun because it is built on the J-Frame, versus the K-Frame that the Model 17 and Model 617 are built on. The smaller J-Frame is plenty big for a .22 and points and shoots a lot better IMO. The only downside to the Model 34 for me was the fact it was made out of steel and could rust, this led me to the Model 63 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766307_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y). The 63 is basically a stainless steel version of the Model 34. I do not like the new S&W aluminium .22's.

I also like the new Ruger SP101 (http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-22.htm) for the same reasons I like the S&W Model 63. I found the S&W Model 63 a littler easier to shoot accurately, although I'm not sure why. In my tests the Ruger seemed to stay cleaner for some reason and I eventually had a couple cases get stuck in the S&W 63, but they were not that hard to get out.

I also looked at a US Fire Arms 12/.22 (http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/12-22.asp), and thought it was one of the nicest built guns I looked at. Several guys at the indoor range I go to have these and love them. This is a single action gun. Although I think this gun was way better built (finished) than either the S&W or the Ruger, I couldn't fire it well no matter hard I tried. One of the guys at the range had his worked over by a company called Long Hunter in Texas. I was able to fire this one much better, but still not as good as the Model 63, or even the Ruger.

Finally, I looked at a Freedom Arms Model 97 (http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_97-22.htm) with a 4.25" barrel. This gun was absolutely amazing! Everything was perfect and the gun fired like a laser! I think it was single action, but don't remember. The gun I used cost over $2,000 new so it is obviously in a different class than the other guns. I doubt you could find a more accurate .22 anywhere!

I ended up with the S&W Model 63 and have been very, very happy with it. It rides in the side pouch of my backpack or on my hip everyday when I'm in the mountains or at my cabin. It is fun to shoot and almost as accurate as the Freedom Arms, but was much, much cheaper. It has put plenty of meat in the crock-pot over the last year.

Guillermo
October 11, 2011, 07:36 PM
I don't know if it is the best but my K22 from 1953 is amazing.

Still would like a Colt Officer's Target and a Diamondback in .22

TNboy
October 11, 2011, 09:57 PM
Depends on what you want it for. I really can't say enough about my Heritage Rough Rider. It certainly does not have the finish of higher end guns such as the Single Sixes, but bang for the buck it ranks right up there in my collection with my Mosin Nagant. I paid around $150 for it used with fiber optic sights and a .22 mag cylinder. It is accurate and dependable, I keep it loaded with the mag cylinder for yard varmints and keep the LR cylinder close by for impromptu shooting sessions. I've been very happy with this gun and have no reservations recommending it to anyone looking for a .22 revolver. I also like the fact that because it is a cheap gun I don't feel bad about leaving it in the truck or even lying out in the house on the back of the couch, where it normally resides.

orionengnr
October 11, 2011, 10:58 PM
I had a 1955 M17, but sold it for some stupid reason.
I have an M18 built in 1972 or so, and I won't make that mistake again.

Starter52
October 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
S&W Model 17 or 617. Neither of these guns is cheap, but some things are worth the cost.

Shienhausser
October 11, 2011, 11:59 PM
oh god, do I have a new gun to look for at the next gun show ......... :)

My wallet hates this website.

griz1
October 12, 2011, 03:33 AM
Another vote for the k22. Love my six inch k22, extremely accurate.

hexidismal
October 12, 2011, 04:23 AM
S&W Model 17 or 617. Neither of these guns is cheap, but some things are worth the cost.

This. Although I have yet to see one of the new SP101s in .22lr.... I might have to look into that.

ColtPythonElite
October 12, 2011, 04:30 AM
I recently bought a Colt MK III. It shoots pretty darn good. I like the fact that it is a full sized gun. This is the first time out with cheapo ammo. I'd guess a better shot using better ammo might cut my group down a considerable amount....Right now, my eyes are peeled for a nice Diamondback at the right price.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=149486&d=1316462563

9mmepiphany
October 12, 2011, 04:59 AM
While my S&W M-17 K-22 has served me well over the years, and the M-34/63 Kit Gun has it's place, I don't think any revolver will match up to my blued 4" Colt Diamondback. I had the 6" version and wasn't impressed, but would really like to find a 2.5" companion

oldfool
October 12, 2011, 09:20 AM
any/all of the aforementioned S&Ws or Colts, as well as the Taurus 96
my personal favorites are the S&W k-17 and the T model 96

any similar old Dan Wesson would be a great find, also, if you can find one

all the j-kit guns are truly excellent, but I would stick with 6" k size for a 'target' revolver
(better sight radius, better weight, better DA trigger, more handle)

Stainz
October 12, 2011, 10:03 AM
A current production 10 shot S&W 617, either 4" or 6", will run you nearly seven of those Ben Franklins new. That's a bundle. But - it will bring countless hours of range/field fun, entertainment, competition, and even a few small animals for the pot, if so desired. Add some decent wood grips, an SW617 HiViz front sight, and a DS-10 speedloader & base plate - and some WallyWorld Federal 550 packs or 325 AutoMatch - and voila - FUN!

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_3904.jpg

Do I regret my purchase? You bet - I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy it! Fun per buck, it's a bargain. Just consider buying what you want once... not 'settling' for something you might be able to 'get by' with. I sold my ten plus year old Ruger KMK-678GC, eight mags, and scope to fund my revolver - I don't miss the case tosser at all. I'd be lost without my 617. But - we are all different.

Stainz

Cougar
October 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
any similar old Dan Wesson would be a great find, also, if you can find one

I had forgotten to mention that in my previous post - and I have a Dan Wesson!

DWs were the choice for IMSA long-range silhouette shooting.

snooperman
October 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
The S&W model 17 with 8.4" barrel, the Colt officers match with 6" barrel, and the Dan Wesson 22 with 6". All great shooters and can be found on gunbroker.

Guillermo
October 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
Damn...700 for a new 617 :eek:

That makes $500 for an early K22 look cheap since the barrel is one piece, no MIM parts, no hillary hole and the workmanship is outstanding.

BCRider
October 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
One thing about Tarus is that they seem to reguire warranty "visits" more often than some other brands. Read around and you'll likely find more stories of warranty work on Taurus guns than any other brand. At least that seems to be what I've seen. Read around and make up your own mind on this count.

Mind you once the bugs are worked out of each individual's gun they seem to be more than happy with how they shoot. And a 94 is such a big gun shooting such a small cartridge that once settled in you'll easily be good for a couple of lifetimes of shooting. The trick is are you willing to live with the risk of something letting go in that first year or so. Apparently they also pretty much need a trigger job right away to get the trigger feel to match the K frame Smiths.

DM~
October 12, 2011, 03:16 PM
I prefer an older S&W M-17 or 18. I've been useing my M-18 since i bought it new in 1975 and it's still accurate and going strong!

DM

Lightsped
October 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
I too am looking for a .22lr revolver. I already have a Ruger Single Action .22lr. I'd like to get a .22lr snub so that I can practice more with the short barrels that are similar to the 38spl I sometimes carry.

Which S&W models are the .22lr snubs? Something not too old would be good, but it doesn't have to be brand new....

NelsErik
October 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
Can anyone tell me the benefits of the S&W Model 17 or 18 over the S&W Model 34 or 63?

Thanks!

shooting4life
October 12, 2011, 05:13 PM
I would get a s&w 17 or 617
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2984.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2977.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_3017.jpg

shooting4life
October 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
And if you want the best/most accurate 22lr ever made you would get a freedom arms 252
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2873.jpg

9mmepiphany
October 12, 2011, 05:54 PM
Can anyone tell me the benefits of the S&W Model 17 or 18 over the S&W Model 34 or 63?

Thanks!
The leaf spring powered action is smoother, lighter and more amenable to tuning. The larger frame size allows better geometry for better trigger control...also for easier reloading

22-rimfire
October 12, 2011, 08:11 PM
You had said "target revolver" which for me means your are looking for something that shoots real well rather than being the smallest 22 revolver available. But the S&W Model 18 (4") is a very good choice. There are some 4" M17's around that were made during the transition between blue and stainless and M17/M18 > M617.

While my S&W M-17 K-22 has served me well over the years, and the M-34/63 Kit Gun has it's place, I don't think any revolver will match up to my blued 4" Colt Diamondback. I had the 6" version and wasn't impressed, but would really like to find a 2.5" companion.

I also was not that impressed with the 6" Colt Diamondback in 22 in terms of shooting over the 4". The blued 4" Colt Diamondback is my favorite 22 revolver. Oh I own all the flavors of Diamondback (or most of them) from 2.5" to 6" in blue and nickel finishes in 22. The 2.5" D-back 22 are very pricey if you can find one. They are pretty much a collectors gun now. But the 4" is my favorite for general purposes which is about all I shoot 22 revolvers for.

The M17 and M18 Smiths are very good, and I only purchased them after the Diamondbacks started getting so darn expensive. Most people will shoot either the M17 or M18 better than the M34 or the newish M63. But the smaller framed Smiths are very nice and appeal to me a great deal.

The Freedom Arms single action is probably the cat's meow of single actions in 22. You pay for it however like all quality stuff.

If I were looking for a 22 for "target", then the Colt Officers Model Match would be very high on my list. But I tend to prefer 4" 22 revolvers overall. Like ColtPythonElite, I find the Colt Trooper Mark III a very fine full sized 22 revolver (available in 4", 6", and 8" versions).

Ruger has just recently introduced the SP-101 in a 4" barrel (4.2" I believe) which may be a good option for general shooting. But it is no S&W M17/617 or Colt Officers Model Match.

Steve CT
October 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Dan Wesson 722, I shoot mine with 2", 4", and 6" very regularly. Be prepared to pay $450 and up, worth every penny.

agent89
October 12, 2011, 09:31 PM
I have a model 18 smith, nice piece. Hate to say it but .22 is somewhat boring to shoot these days. It is so heavy for the round that I flinch a little because there is no recoil to speak of. Still I love it as a fine older smith revolver. Mine has the uncle mikes rubber grips on it, otherwise stock. The new ruger sp101 in .22 is a nice looking piece!

skoro
October 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
My personal best is a 1958 S&W Model 18. Just a real fine rimfire revolver. Everything you want and nothing you don't.

Win1892
October 13, 2011, 12:04 AM
My model S&W 63 suits me just fine as does my High Standard Double Nine

olafhardtB
October 13, 2011, 03:54 AM
I have two kit guns, a s&w 34 & a s&w 317. For targets I would pick the 34. For carry I would pick the 317 if the choice was between those two. For just blasting I take both. I love them both. I prefer small revolvers and my attempt to wear out the 34 has gotten me use to J frames

4v50 Gary
October 13, 2011, 04:06 AM
My personal favorite is the 4" Diamondback. However, if they're pricey, then go with a S&W K frame. Get some HKS speedloaders for some fast DA shooting fun. I have a blast whenever I take out a DA 22 revolver.

Kiln
October 13, 2011, 04:10 AM
H&R revolvers are an awesome value. I shot the hell out of one that had been abused and it just kept on ticking.

oldfool
October 13, 2011, 08:25 AM
...warranty "visits" more often than some other brands...
a 94 ... risk of something letting go in that first year... pretty much need a trigger job right away

BC
I do not disagree with anything you said there, but I did not see anyone recommend a Taurus 94 (unless I missed it twice reading thread)
nor would I recommend

FWIW,
the old model Taurus 96 is a very different gun (don't think they have made them in a very long time now); it's a k-17 'clone', as another poster said above, and a worthy one

oldfool
October 13, 2011, 08:39 AM

Thanks!
what 9mm said, and as I mentioned above
"better sight radius, better weight, better DA trigger, more handle"
(although I think the k-18s are all 4" models ??)

I do love my 4" old model kit guns (model 63 and 651), and I do believe they have equal accuracy potential to my 6" Ks (k-17, k-17, k-48, t-96), but the extra barrel length and weight/size is simply more 'shootable friendly' on targets, IMO

in DA mode, there is a very significant difference between the J trigger and K trigger, as 9mm said. You need to shoot them side by side to truly feel it, you know.
Rare few small frames have as bad a DA trigger as a Taurus 94, and the S&Ws J triggers are decent, but a J is not a K

Acknowledged, many revolver target shooters shoot SA mode only
but if you shoot DA, it matters
Nothing beats trigger control for "on target"; a good trigger is a real good place to start
I don't think I have ever shot a revolver with a gosh awful bad SA trigger. Wish I could say the same about DA triggers.

tlatoani
October 13, 2011, 08:39 AM
Love my Rough Riders. Outstanding value.

Not sure I would call them target pistols.

Guillermo
October 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
as far as the query

the benefits of the S&W Model 17 or 18 over the S&W Model 34 or 63

Please understand that there is nothing that a J frame does as well, let alone better, than a K frame except conceal.

DM~
October 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
as far as the query

Please understand that there is nothing that a J frame does as well, let alone better, than a K frame except conceal.

That's been my exact experience as well.

DM

NelsErik
October 13, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for the answers to my question.

I guess my criteria plays a huge roll in what the best gun for me is. I bought mine to function as a typical "kit gun" and pretty much am either carrying it with me (most of the time as a secondary gun) or within easy reach at all times.

I'm saving for a Freedom Arms though...

Anyhow, thanks again!

jamesjo
October 13, 2011, 07:56 PM
H&R model 777 Ultra Sportsman
Made 1938 - 1939
About 1000 pieces
Single Action, competition target shooter.
Along with the model 196, were considered the most accurate revolvers.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/ultra3.jpg

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/ultra1.jpg

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg467/jimmyjoe/ultra2.jpg

woad_yurt
October 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
No one's mentioned convertible H&R 676s. I have one with the 7.5" barrel and it's a very, very, very accurate gun. It's a got a pretty nice trigger pull, too.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/HR67601-2.jpg

Gordon
October 16, 2011, 03:52 PM
Well my first real hand gun was a Kit Gun snub (M34 2") and I still have it almost 50 years later- the blue is worn in spots.
I have my Dad's 1955 Colt Officer's model Match Target and it is in good shape after 10s of thousands of rounds thru it. I also bought a prewar one a few years back that is exquisite but needs to be kept perfectly clean to work.
I have a beautiful K22 from the early 60s which is very accurate and has the target hammer and trigger. Also a Model 18 4" that is my favorite plinker.
My "best .22" is my Diamondback however. It is amazingly accurate and gorgeous!

roaddog28
October 16, 2011, 05:51 PM
To me when anyone mentions target revolver I think about single action with a barrel length of at least 5.5 or more. And target ranges are 25 yards or more. Anything less is a range toy in my opinion. So if I am looking for target revolver I think anything from a S&W 17 to a freedom arms. Throw Dan Wesson, Ruger Single sixes and like the old H&R Sportman. Few people can really shoot accurate at those distances double action. If you thinking double action then it would be the S&W 17. K frame to me have the best double action trigger.
I once had a H&R 649 5.5 length barrel and this revolver was very accurate shooting single action at 25 yards. The double action trigger was horrible.
Good luck,
Howard

9mmepiphany
October 16, 2011, 06:03 PM
Few people can really shoot accurate at those distances double action.
Whole generations of PPC and Bianchi Cup shooters...who held tight groups at 50 yards...might disagree with you

roaddog28
October 16, 2011, 10:12 PM
Whole generations of PPC and Bianchi Cup shooters...who held tight groups at 50 yards...might disagree with you

I won't argue with what you are saying. I don't see much PPC or Bianchi Cup in my area. All I know is most average shooters not shooting in competition will probably shoot single action past 25 yds. In fact most people I see at the local shooting range shoot single action with DA/SA revolver with the exception of IPDA club matchs.
Regards,
Howard

22-rimfire
October 16, 2011, 11:16 PM
With 22 revolvers, I predominantly see people shooting single action unless they are just tying to pepper a can full of holes or just plinking. The serious double action shooting is primarily done by shooters that are "training" for defensive situations whether it be with the 22 revolver that has a similar feel as the center fire revolver or they intend to have the 22 revolver available if needed for defensive purposes. But they normally will not shoot at a squirrel double action.

Guillermo
October 17, 2011, 12:54 AM
I predominantly see people shooting single action unless they are just tying to pepper a can full of holes or just plinking.

Not only do I rarely shoot single action...I teach a lot of kids to shoot (In my spare time I coach basketball and teach women's self defense...so they know me and trust me to teach them about guns).

I NEVER start w single action.

Ever

duns
October 17, 2011, 01:56 AM
I bought a S&W K22 Masterpiece with 6" barrel for target shooting (just for improving my shooting skills, not for competition). It's very well made and shoots well, and should last several lifetimes with TLC. However, it was $780 (new from Davidson's) including taxes and fees. I sometimes wonder if it was better than I really needed. But it is a fine revolver.

9mmepiphany
October 17, 2011, 02:07 AM
most people I see at the local shooting range shoot single action with DA/SA revolver with the exception of IPDA club matchs.
But they normally will not shoot at a squirrel double action.

That people you see at the local range either lack the training or the skill to shoot accurately in DA should not be a valid reason to doubt that it is regularly done by a host of better trained shooters...or at least ones trying to become better shooters.

CajunBass
October 17, 2011, 08:26 AM
I've got several 22 revolvers. They're all good. Of course I do go out of my way to buy known "good ones." Smith & Wesson, Colt, and Ruger. I've owned a couple of H&R's that I liked, and I've been tempted a couple of times to get a Taurus 96 (sort of a Model 17 clone...not exactly but close...also not made anymore). The Taurus 94 is one of the few that has never impressed me.

My favorite? Probably the Smith & Wesson 22 Combat Masterpiece, and the Colt New Frontier 22. Rugers Single-Six and Bearcat aren't far behind.

You see my delima. Which one to shoot?

oldfool
October 17, 2011, 08:37 AM
the reason so many shoot SA only at local range, IMO, is just because they never actually tried shooting DA unless it was fooling around with pop cans up close

likewise, IMO, the reason so many at local range shoot handguns only at 10 yards or less, is because they just never really tried at 25, 50, 75, 100

Once they see it, they are 1st surprised; then they try it, and they find out it really isn't all that hard, and it is fun. 22s should be fun.

A lot of casual weekend handgunners just really don't know how accurate open sight revolvers in either SA or DA really can be... especially those old k-17s ;)

roaddog28
October 17, 2011, 10:44 AM
That people you see at the local range either lack the training or the skill to shoot accurately in DA should not be a valid reason to doubt that it is regularly done by a host of better trained shooters...or at least ones trying to become better shooters.

Yes that is true. Most people at the local range have not had much training in learning DA. But most people probably won't spend the time and money learning to shoot a SA/DA revolver. That is because I don't see many revolvers at the ranges I go to. I believe learning to shoot a DA/SA revolver well takes practice and the few I see that are good are well trained and compete in competition. 9mm maybe in Northern California you have a good number of well trained shooters that can handle a revolver but were I live I am one of the few that even brings revolvers to the range. Most people bring semi-autos and the brand is Glock.

Back to the OP question. If I had the money I would look for a S&W model 17. I rented one at the range and put probably 300 rounds through it. Very accurate either single action or double action. If I could ever find one that does not cost me my life savings I would buy it.
Regards,
Howard

22-rimfire
October 17, 2011, 11:16 AM
Guillermo said...

That makes $500 for an early K22 look cheap since the barrel is one piece, no MIM parts, no hillary hole and the workmanship is outstanding.

You may not have priced them lately. $500 IS cheap now for one in good shape. You see prices up to $750 these days on the pre-lock Smiths. I noticed a very nice Colt Trooper Mark III (6") 22 for sale at an asking price of $800. That is a serious ouch! 20 years ago dealers had trouble even selling them because the Diamondback was not significantly higher priced in my opinion.

Not only do I rarely shoot single action...I teach a lot of kids to shoot (In my spare time I coach basketball and teach women's self defense...so they know me and trust me to teach them about guns).

I NEVER start w single action.

Ever

Guillermo, good for you. I think it is probably safer to teach inexperienced shooters to shoot double action with a DA revolver as the trigger is often pretty light in single action on your better DA 22 revolvers. The EVER part troubles me, but you are free to teach people as you see fit.

Clearly learning to shoot in DA is preferrable to always shooting DA revolvers in single action. Certainly for defensive purposes, one needs to be comfortable with shooting DA. If you always shoot single action, habit will likely make you prone to want to thumb the hammer back when you should be shooting in a critical defensive situation.

I have made my suggestions on the 22 revolver front. I like the Smith's, but I love my little 4" Colt Diamondback 22's. I would certainly take a look at the new Ruger SP-101 when considering to buy a new DA 22 revolver today if you can find one. You need to judge for yourself if you like the feel of the revolver and if the trigger is good for you. Of course, I suspect you could install lighter springs on the SP if you want to. I tend to shoot them they way they come from the factory.

Looked at a Ruger Single 10 the other day. Wow. What a nice revolver! It was a bit pricey relative to the Single 6, but it's only money.

Guillermo
October 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
rimfire,

I probably mis-communicated.

After a kid has done well with a dbl action trigger pull we get to single action.

I want them to learn all gun functions.

Guillermo
October 17, 2011, 04:32 PM
This thread is going to cost me money.

I only have one nice 22. New revolvers are boring and generally crap.

I am a bargain hunter and do not need a gun to look pristine.

I have to say the 1953 K-22 just might be the best buy I have made (290 +15 shipping, 10ffl)

But now you guys have me surfing the auction sites, looking for another.

DAMN YOU!!!

Cougar
October 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
This thread is going to cost me money.

I only have one nice 22. New revolvers are boring and generally crap.

I am a bargain hunter and do not need a gun to look pristine.

I have to say the 1953 K-22 just might be the best buy I have made (290 +15 shipping, 10ffl)

But now you guys have me surfing the auction sites, looking for another.

DAMN YOU!!!But look at all of the money you'll be saving in the long run for ammo! If you go to the range just once a month and cap off 100rnds/session, you'll probably reach your break-even point within a year, LOL!

oldfool
October 18, 2011, 08:28 AM
now don't be snarfing up all the Diamondback 22s, G
some us k-fanboys are out there, still looking for our 1st Diamondback you know !

Guillermo
October 18, 2011, 10:38 AM
now don't be snarfing up all the Diamondback 22s

Actually I don't have a .22 Diamondback.

The only good .22 revolver I have is the K-22.

That is such a sweet revolver, as are the Colt .22s (Officer's Target and Officer's Match), it is gonna be hard for for me to spend DB money. One can buy one of each for the price of a DB.

BTW
I made some good purchases this year (one BAD one.) But the best might have been the k-22. It might have better than the $466 DB (4inch 38, near perfect finish).

I just love that K-22!!!

Great trigger, insanely accurate.

a truly great handgun

PzGren
October 19, 2011, 01:47 AM
Colt OMM rimfire

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/DSCF4264.jpg

S&W K-22 from 1952

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/DSCI0059.jpg

1969 Korth

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/DSCF4403.jpg

Get the one that you like the best, which fits your hand and your budget. After all, they all only make holes in paper and all of the above do an excellent job at that.

But I would rather sell a dozen of my guns before the K22 would go, and a few more to keep the Korth.

oldfool
October 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
now there's three Aces in anybody's game, PzGren !
(a premium grade Dan Wesson would fill out that poker hand very nicely, you know)

PzGren
October 19, 2011, 04:31 PM
"now there's three Aces in anybody's game, PzGren !
(a premium grade Dan Wesson would fill out that poker hand very nicely, you know)
__________________"

The Korth is worth more than the other aces to me! It is the Joker in the game:).

The Dan Wessons have a loyal following and they are very sturdy shooting irons.

Mr. Happy
October 19, 2011, 11:01 PM
A current production 10 shot S&W 617, either 4" or 6", will run you nearly seven of those Ben Franklins new. That's a bundle. But - it will bring countless hours of range/field fun, entertainment, competition, and even a few small animals for the pot, if so desired. Add some decent wood grips, an SW617 HiViz front sight, and a DS-10 speedloader & base plate - and some WallyWorld Federal 550 packs or 325 AutoMatch - and voila - FUN!

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_3904.jpg

Do I regret my purchase? You bet - I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy it! Fun per buck, it's a bargain. Just consider buying what you want once... not 'settling' for something you might be able to 'get by' with. I sold my ten plus year old Ruger KMK-678GC, eight mags, and scope to fund my revolver - I don't miss the case tosser at all. I'd be lost without my 617. But - we are all different.

Stainz
I have the same DS speedloader set-up (8-round version) for the Airweight S&W 317 3.5" Kit Gun, which comes with the Hi-Viz sight. Not a target revolver, but this is the easiest gun to use with newbies at the range (along with my Beretta Jaguar for a semi-auto).

NelsErik
October 20, 2011, 10:45 PM
So what is the consensus?

I have been saving for a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .22LR with a second Magnum cylinder, I am now also considering the USFA Model 12/22. I'm looking for the most accurate .22 revolver i can get. What are the other options? Which would you suggest, I plan to give this gun to my son someday.

Austin97
October 20, 2011, 11:12 PM
Get a heritage rough rider. 6.5 barrel, 22lr and mag. 140-180 bucks, great pistol for price.

oldfool
October 21, 2011, 10:10 AM
NelsErick
"So what is the consensus?"

Well, the 'consensus' is that there is no one "best", never was, no big surprise.
There are a lot of great choices named in thread, many of them repetitively.
But, also no surprise, most are out of current production, older classics, with a long proven track record for quality and accuracy. Most named are DA/SAs, also no big surprise.

But if you are focused on 'new' vs 'used', or leastways still in current production (which we did not understand to be the case), and you do not have enthusiasm for DA target shooting, you just named two of the very 'best candidates' there are in SA revolvers; you cannot go wrong with either.

Follow your instincts !
I don't personally know any revolver shooter who would show disrespect for either FA or USFA.... and I really just don't see a Heritage Rough Rider in your future ;)
(I would probably hold out for the FA, if it was me.. but it ain't me)

PS
as to whether or not you will truly achieve "best attainable accuracy" with any dual cylinder 22LR/WMR gun or not, that's a whole other debate you know.
But I leave that to comments by others

MrBorland
October 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
So what is the consensus?

FWIW, I shot this today with my bone-stock 4" S&W 617. Sure, it was the best of the day, but 2" @ 25 yards unsupported is about average.

BTW, this is a newer gun, with MIM parts & The Lock. Neither matter one whit. The newer guns may not have the fit and finish of the older blued ones, but they shoot fine.

Whether a 17/617 is "the best" remains, as oldfool suggest, subjective, but I'd put it in one of the "great choices" category.

While I don't shoot SA revolvers often (don't even currently own one), I'd love to pick up a Freedom Arms one day.

5 rounds, 25 yards, unsupported, double action:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/SW617B-16Freestyle.jpg

oldfool
October 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
mighty fine shooting MrB !
(no surprise)

I may not like some trends the new S&W is on, even if I can 'understand' the why of it
But I do not doubt what those 617s can do in the hands of a skilled shooter
This side of Korth (way out of my income limits), I honestly don't myself believe that anybody else still consistently turns out a factory DA rimfire revolver that can beat it. I would have one myself, if I didn't already have them old K's on hand/in hand.
(Did look at one mighty close a couple of years ago, but my heart was tuned to the J-rimfire channel at the time.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 Revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!