Ruger GP-100 sights, springs?

PDA

Josh45
October 11, 2011, 05:22 PM
Curious about something for the GP-100....

The double action in it is kinda heavy for me. I been reading up and down about it and I believe it's rated at 12 LBS? From factory of course, I have no idea about mine since I have not tested it and bought used.

I know changing the springs to a lighter pull would be good but to light would cause misfires. I do reload and I do use CCI primers.

My question for the double action is, Whats the lowest LBs I can go to without a misfire? Wolffs has them rated at 8 and 10 I believe.

This is a fixed sight version. No actual rear sight.....Im still a newbie to revolvers but I have been trying to find replacement sights for it and have almost came up with nothing! Anyone know what sights I would be able to use if I wanted to change them?

It is accurate but I would like to have the option to change it should the need arise. I do not carry it with me at this time but would like to in the near future.

So, Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger GP-100 sights, springs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Super Sneaky Steve
October 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
Spend $50 on a trigger job at your local gunsmith. It will be lighter and smoother without light strikes.

Old Fuff
October 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
In the Ruger GP-100 the hammer hits the transfer bar safety, which in turn hits the firing pin, which hits the primer. After each "which" some energy is lost - so be careful about switching springs, especially if the revolver might be used as a personal weapon.

I believe the front sight is pined, and therefore can be changed. There isn't much you can do about the rear one, and if this is an important issue you'd be best off to sell or trade the one you have for a GP-100 with adjustable sights.

Josh45
October 11, 2011, 07:59 PM
Its not a important thing to do. Just would like to know the options out there in case I would like to.
The front sight has a roll pin in it from the side unlike the others with the plungers in it.

The trigger job sounds like the good way to go since it will be no light strikes...

WNC Seabee
October 11, 2011, 08:55 PM
I put the 10# Wolff spring in mine and it's been absolutely reliable. Mostly Winchester primers, but a bunch of factory loads as well. Get the pack that has all the springs ($10 is all) and just experiment. They are super easy to swap out.

BTW, I never bothered changing the trigger return spring.

[EDIT: just reread your post and saw it's a fixed sight version...I think you're screwed in the sight department!) As for sights, I really (really really) like the Williams Fire Sights.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv128/WNCSeabee/Firearms/Rugers/messagepart.jpg

Josh45
October 11, 2011, 10:25 PM
( DROOLS ) Man, Those sight's look great! I have to find out for sure!

Dan-O
October 11, 2011, 11:00 PM
I have swapped out the hammer spring in all 6 of my Ruger DA revos to the 10 lb spring. I initially was using a 9 lb in one of my SP101's and was getting some light strikes...but I think it was a primer seating issue, and not due to the lighter hammer spring.

The factory standard weight is 14 lbs.

Also, I am assuming your's is a 3" GP? I have one as well, and have been on the war path to find a front night sight for mine as well. I have seen on other sites, that people are putting an XS sight for the SP101 on theirs, but I think that they are not tall enough.....but what do I know. Here is a picture of my 3":

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww266/yeahitsthatbig/IMG_1367.jpg

Josh45
October 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
Dan-0

You and me are in the same boat and no, The SP101 will not work for the GP100. I have read it many times....
And yes, Its 3'. Same one you are showing actually.

Hvyfngr
October 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
Oh how I miss my GP100 but mine was the 3 pounder (6") not the 3 inch...

But to answer your sight question the SP101 sight won't work but your local smith might can find you a slightly taller sight for a pinned application (it might be for a s&w but he might could refit it for your GP) I've done something similar for a few Kgp/gp 331's. I ended up shimming out the Taurus pinned sight about .004" on both sides but had to play with it because it was comsistantly about a inch to the left at about 15 yds but all in all it's possible to git er done... My best solution for it... Fingernail polish(not red) and a flat clear coat to seal it... No matter how small the sight is your eyes still could pick it up easily I like orange or mint green. Red gets lost in too many colors and gets superimposed (the outline is actually dissapearing and the eyes try to adjust causing you to see flashes of green when focusing under stress.

As for the springs, as mentioned above a wolff shooters pack could do you some good but keep in mind that ruger stays on the larger sides of tolerances for headspace(to ensure smooth function) and subsequently the primer doesn't stripe quite as deep as other 357's so it's definitely a small gamble changing the springs in that monster... I've found the 10 lb works pretty good even against those CCI primers

by the way... I'm by NO means a gunsmith!!

sorry it's so lengthy but the GP deserves it... Hope I helped

Jeff H
October 12, 2011, 09:10 PM
I got the Wolfe variety pack and experimented with the springs until I had the lightest trigger pull that was utterly reliable. IIRC, I have the lightest trigger return spring (can't remember the weight) and a 12# main spring. It shoots very nicely in DA shooting.

The 10# spring worked almost 100%, but almost wasn't good enough for me so I went with the 12#.

GP100man
October 12, 2011, 10:52 PM
JeffH & Josh

Go to Ruger Forum.com & do a search for shims ,Lance makes some fine shims for hammers & triggers taylored especially for the GP100.

What will the shims do ????

See the scratches on the side of the hammer ???? those are from the hammer draggin on the frame & if it`s dragging it`s causeing higher DA pull & lost energy for the hammer strike !!!!

Wiggle the trigger on ya GP ,does it move from side to side ?????
That is what causes the inconsistent trigger pullweights in DA& SA .

The trigger shims will help it greatly !!!!

Not to say Ruger does`nt build a fne DA/SA revolver ,They do & that`s all that`s in the safe now !! But we as owners as we build our abilitys to clean/maintain our firearms can put some refinements on em !!

I polish the well the trigger return spring/plungers work in ,it`ll remove the grittyness if ya have any & use a 10# trigger return spring & a 12# hammer for 100% IGN even on CCI 400 SR primers !!!

Wanted to add : the main spring strut is a stamped part & will have sharp edges on 1 side , smooth em off & the stirrup.

I`m actually building a strut that has a round spring guide rather than the flat 1 ,but don`t tell anyone !!!!

Here`s a tool that make removin the trigger group a snap ,with out cuttin or mashing a finger !!! Been makin em since `85 & have`nt had an unhappy customer yet !!!

$10.00 gets it shipped in the conus !!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Popper-1.jpg

WNC Seabee
October 13, 2011, 01:51 PM
Here`s a tool that make removin the trigger group a snap ,with out cuttin or mashing a finger !!! Been makin em since `85 & have`nt had an unhappy customer yet !!!

$10.00 gets it shipped in the conus !!
+1 for GP100Man's plunger tool. It's so incredibly simple and easy. It will save you loads of time and skinned knuckles getting that trigger group off.

Josh45
October 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
Hmm...I think I need to take a jump over there.

230therapy
October 13, 2011, 07:54 PM
I just replaced the hammer spring on my GP100 with the 14 pound one because the light spring wouldn't ignite primers. It makes the trigger very stiff. Buy the 10, 11 and 12 pound springs and test. They're only $4 each.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger GP-100 sights, springs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!