Model 10 locking up

PDA

PokeyOkie
October 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
I took my model 10 out for the first time in a couple of years and ran into a problem I've never encountered before. I'm hoping someone has an easy fix before I take it to the gunsmith. I loaded five rounds of factory Remington LRN 38s and when I tried to cock it to fire, the hammer wouldn't budge. It wouldn't double action either. I popped out all the rounds and everything actioned properly. I loaded 2 rounds at the bottom and actioned through a couple of empty cylinders and it fired fine. Second round double actioned fine also. Back to a full load and it jammed up again. Any ideas what's going on?

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 10 locking up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sixgunner455
October 11, 2011, 08:15 PM
Are the chambers clean? if there is crud up there by the cylinder throat in one or more chambers, then the cases may not be free to fully enter the chambers, and therefore binding on the recoil shield.

Um. Hi primers could do that, too. But factory ammo, like you said, well, that's unlikely.

gamestalker
October 11, 2011, 08:37 PM
Try to turn the ejector rod while preventing the cylinder from spinning in either direction, it shouldn't turn at all. If it is able to be turned your problem is the threaded portion has come loose and thus doesn't allow the star to seat flush with the cylinder. So then when you drop some rounds in, they don't seat deep enough in the cylinder which is causing contact with the recoil backing to lock it up.

In my S&W revolvers the ejector rod is left hand threaded which causes the problem to only get worse each time you draw the hammer back, or pull the trigger because the cylinder rotates counter clock wise and eventually locking the action up real tight, as you've apparently experienced already. I solved the problem by using a very small amount of nail polish on the threads as a thread locker. I didn't dare use Lock Tite because I don't want to risk never getting the rod loose again for maintenance.

It's also possible the bullets are not seated deep enough or the brass isn't properly resized, but most of what your describing sounds like a loose extractor rod.

1911Tuner
October 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
Use a toothbrush to clean under the ejector star.

PokeyOkie
October 11, 2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you for all the help! I checked the rod and it wasn't loose thankfully but under the ejector star was filthy. I pulled everything apart and now have a good reason to head back to the range.

Carl

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 10 locking up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!