Rainier or Berrys?

PDA

jerkface11
October 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm planning on ordering some 9mm plinking bullets for my glock. I've settled on 124gr plated by either Rainier or Berry's. Is there a noticeable difference in the two?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rainier or Berrys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
October 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
They both work fine. Your gun may or may not prefer one over the other.

PO2Hammer
October 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
Toss up. Some of mine prefer Rainier, some Berry's, most too close to call.

I do like Berry's new 9mm .356" HBFP-TP (hollow base flat point-thick plated). It even makes a respectable plinker in .357 magnum. I guess that's where I would start.

cfullgraf
October 11, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have used both with little noticeable difference.

I prefer Berry at the present because I have been able to get them more reliably direct from the manufacturer.

bds
October 11, 2011, 09:18 PM
If you were comparing regular RN bullets, I would go with cheaper of the two as they have been comparable in accuracy.

However, if you are looking for accuracy, I highly recommend you try Berry's hollow base thick plate bullets. I have done comparison range tests and RNHB-TP loads are more accurate than my reference FMJ loads.

BTW, Powder Valley has good prices on Berry's bullets.

Walkalong
October 11, 2011, 09:39 PM
TJConevera (http://www.tjconevera.com/bullets.html) has some good deals at times.

jerkface11
October 11, 2011, 09:45 PM
Just placed an order for 124gr Berry's flat points.

rfwobbly
October 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
The only difference I've noticed is that Berry seems to be available in lower quantities and has more nose styles. If you want to try all those out, you can call Berry and they'll ship you a 250 pack with something like 10 different bullet styles. That offer is not listed in their catalog or on their web page; you have to call. Ask for Connie or Angie they can help.

If Jay answers, hang up! :evil:

armoredman
October 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
Berry's, good stuff. The 124 hollow base is very well thought of.

hardworlder
October 11, 2011, 10:48 PM
I've had marginally better success with Berry's, but not enough to justify the cost. Rainiers are super cheap by the thousand.

1SOW
October 12, 2011, 12:05 AM
The Berry's 124 HBRN shot as well as my other long-time 125 JHP favorite in my CZ. The Berry's is more than 3 cents cheaper ea.

ArchAngelCD
October 12, 2011, 02:41 AM
Sorry, I wouldn't use either since they are so expensive now there is really no price advantage over jacketed bullets.

ColtPythonElite
October 12, 2011, 04:52 AM
x2 on what ArchAngleCD said. I have bought a few Berry's, but found after crunching the numbers I was spending too much for cast with a fancy paint job. Savy shopping will score jacketed Zero brand for the same price or even less $$ than Berry's.

Walkalong
October 12, 2011, 08:29 AM
I've had marginally better success with Berry's, but not enough to justify the cost. Rainiers are super cheap by the thousand.Where? Thanks.

There are reasons to use plated, regardless of a cost comparison to jacketed, but the point is valid, jacketed can be cheaper in some instances.

Blue68f100
October 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
I like Berry's better than Rainers. Berry's are sized to lead specs, 0.0005"-0.001" over size. My guns just shoots them better, more accurate. I have found the price for each to be about the same once you add in shipping which is included on Berry's.

I shoot at an indoor range and they prefer and have a policy of no exposed lead on centerfires. So shooting cast lead bullets are not a option.

But for about $20-$40 more /1000 you can get MG which is a std jacked bullet. But for practice rounds I prefer the Berry's.

bds
October 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
I was spending too much for cast with a fancy paint job.
I used to hold that notion two decades ago but not now for higher quality commercial plated bullets. I wouldn't call plated bullets from Rainier, Berry's, PowerBond and X-Treme merely cast bullets with a fancy paint job - not even close. Many regard Speer Gold Dot bullets highly and they are plated bullets also. :eek:

Savy shopping will score jacketed Zero brand for the same price or even less $$ than Berry's. Where?
I would also like to know where you can buy jacketed Zero bullets for less than Berry's.

Powder Valley carries both Zero and Berry's bullets and have just about the lowest prices I know.

Zero 124 gr FMJ - $106/1K
Berry's 124 gr RN/FP/RNHB - $72-$74/1K

REL1203
October 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
I tried both Berrys and Rainers when i first got into reloading, and determined quickly for me that Berry's were WAY better. I have now loaded over 12,000 Berry bullets, and use 147g 9mm Berrys for my competition IDPA load. Berry's is good stuff

Walkalong
October 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
I was asking where hardworlder is buying Raniers "super cheap by the thousand", and so much cheaper than Berrys.

I have bought Zeros at Ghost Holster (http://czcustom.com/Zero-Bullets.aspx) (buying 3K) in years past for the same or less than plated. Roze Distribution (http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RZD&Category_Code=ZJB) is another place to check prices on Zeros.

bds
October 12, 2011, 09:25 PM
Ooops, got the posts mixed up. Sorry.

1SOW
October 12, 2011, 11:03 PM
Walkalong, the 125 jhp Zeros have recently gone UP a lot. They were over 10ea cents for the last 3K I ordered at Shooter's Connection --the only place I could find them. The other Zero bullets are also higher priced now. I've ordered from Roze, Shooter's Connection and PV. They are ALL out of stock now. Roze shows over 11 cents ea just ordering 1K .

I JUST checked Berry's (My last order was only a few months ago) and they have gone up too. They are only about 2+ cents cheaper each now.. :eek:
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14476-c11-g8-b0-p0-9mm_124gr_HP.aspx

Seedtick
October 12, 2011, 11:37 PM
Not exactly what you were asking about but I just got in a big box of Precision Delta 124 grain JHP's this week. Ordered Wednesday at 2:30 pm and they got here Saturday at 10 am which ain't to shabby.

$84 per 1,000 to your door (http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail.php?sku=B-9-124-JHP)

Seedtick

:)

Walkalong
October 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
Not exactly what you were asking about
I've had marginally better success with Berry's, but not enough to justify the cost. Rainiers are super cheap by the thousand.
Where? Thanks.

I would like to know where hardworlder is buying Raniers, in his words, "super cheap by the thousand", and so much cheaper than Berrys.

One of these days I am going to stock up on 9MM jacketed, most likely MG. :)

Master Blaster
October 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
My experience with .45 acp is that the Raniers were higher quality and more consistant than the Berrys which seemed to be sloppily made and varied in diameter and weight more than the Raniers, even the double strucks. It bothers me that Berrys charges extra for double strucks which are more accurately sized, the bullet should be sized right to start with not cost extra for proper sizing. I have had better luck with the hollow points feeding and being less finicky about OAL than the flat points in .45acp. The Raniers were about the same price depending on shipping more than anything. The 9mm Raniers or Berrys seem to work equally well in my glock and sig pistols.

hardworlder
October 14, 2011, 12:06 AM
My last batch of 9mm Rainiers was $70/1000 from midwayusa.com, whereas I used to pay like $30 for 250 packs of Berry's online, and way more from a brick and mortar.

PO2Hammer
October 14, 2011, 01:21 AM
My last batch of 9mm Rainiers was $70/1000 from midwayusa.com
Must have been a while ago. $93 + shipping now. (115 RN)
Berry's are $83, shipping included. (115 RN)

PD has a minimum 2,000 bullet order to get the $84/1000 price, but they are 124 JHP's, a good price.

Walkalong
October 14, 2011, 08:44 AM
Must have been a while ago.Yep.

Mr.Revolverguy
October 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
It is a toss up. I see a lot of comments about them not being cheaper than jacketed can we please get a post together showing us where these jacketed are being ordered from at that price.

Having said all that I prefer Xtreme bullets now.

Walkalong
October 14, 2011, 12:26 PM
Montana Gold and & Precision Delta have, at times, in some calibers, been cheaper than plated, if you bought 3K.

Zero bullets have, at times, been cheaper than plated in some calibers, buying 2 to 3K or more.

Seedtick
October 15, 2011, 12:00 AM
PD has a minimum 2,000 bullet order to get the $84/1000 price, but they are 124 JHP's, a good price.

If you don't want an even number of /K bullets the price goes up by $5.

Wonder why? Must be harder to ship odd number of boxes because they are off balance.
Mayhap the extra five dollar charge is an offset to cover busted boxes?
What do ya'll think?

Anyway, other than the 124 grain JHP's they also have 124 grain FMJ's.

$79 + $5 = $84 per K for 9mm 124 grain FMJ's. (http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail.php?sku=B-9-124-FMJ)

That is some fairly cheap hole punchers. And I've shot a pile of these and they shoot way better than I do.

Seedtick

:)

Walkalong
October 15, 2011, 10:04 AM
I cannot find any .45 ACP jacketed cheaper than plated, and certainly not cheaper than these from Precision (http://www.precisionbullets.com/).

Shmackey
October 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
I cannot find any .45 ACP jacketed cheaper than plated, and certainly not cheaper than these from Precision (http://www.precisionbullets.com/).

Ooh! I forgot those existed. How do they shoot compared with plated? I need more bullets in .400 and .451. Was about to order up a mess of Rainiers, but I'm willing to experiment.

Hondo 60
October 16, 2011, 12:26 AM
I've always found Berry's at a lower price than what I could find for Rainier.

And I have found Zero bullets at a lower price than Berry's.
But that was a while ago & if they were in stock.
I ordered 500 I think.

But my favorite 38 spl bullet is a 125 gr HP from The Hunting Shack
$103.57/1000 includes shipping
http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsmplatedhandgunbullets.aspx?variation=1241

Walkalong
October 16, 2011, 10:11 AM
How do they shoot compared with plated?They shoot very well. I am running low, so will be ordering some more soon.

Shmackey
October 16, 2011, 03:19 PM
They shoot very well. I am running low, so will be ordering some more soon.
Any disadvantage compared with plated?

Walkalong
October 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
You need to bell a hair more, like lead, they smoke some, but a lot less than lead, and your hand will get gray loading them, but it washes off easily.

Aside from that, not really.

Master Blaster
October 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
I Used some precission cast bullets with the mysterious black coating on them, I think I may still have 500 or so. The reason I stopped was I found the smoke irritated my throat even with good ventilation on the indoor range. This made me nervous as I didn't know what I was breathing when shooting them indoors.

JMHO YMMV

If you enjoyed reading about "Rainier or Berrys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!