what have yu done to get a ruger mini 30 to shoot?

PDA

ridgerunner1965
October 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
im working on a mini 30 i purchased a few years ago.i put a nice nikon 4 pwr scope on it and have been shooting it with russian ammo. 2 inch groups at 50 yrds, not bad but not good. purchased some rem american ammo and got 1.5 inch at 50 yrds. at 100 yrds the russian stuff was barely on the paper and prob a 12 inch group. the rem stuff was better but prob 6 inch group at best.and not that consistant.reloaded the shells with 2 kinds of .308 bullets 100 grn short jakets and 125 grn horns.just to see what happens. they didnt do well either.im down now to buying sum .310 bullets and see what they do.havent slugged the bore but hope to soon.funtion is perfect with any round i shove in it, thats what makes me want to get this rifle shooting well.any help from yuall would be greatly appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "what have yu done to get a ruger mini 30 to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snuffy
October 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
I had one about 15-20 years ago. The best I could get from it was 2" @ 100. That was with nosler BT 125's. My son took a nubbin buck with it, about an 80 yd. shot.

The problem is, it's not nor will ever be a target rifle. It's good for shooting a lot of shells very fast and works every time.

I've heard, but never verified, that it has a compromise bore that starts with a .313 throat that tapers down to a .308 bore. So when loading a .308 bullet, you have a monstrous freebore to contend with.

Then there's the gas block that's clamped to the barrel. The gas block has to be tight to make it stay put. The torque required sometimes results in a constriction of the bore at that point.

They can be made to shoot really good. BUT it takes sending to a place that specializes on the mini rugers, 30 and mini 15. A new barrel that's .308 all the way to a short throat, trigger work and a gas block that does NOT squeeze the barrel.

ridgerunner1965
October 12, 2011, 06:06 AM
im not looking to make a target rifle out of this gun at all. i would be happy with a good consistant 4 in group at a 100 yrds. that would be good enough for what id do with it.i did not know about the tapered bore thing.ill try to pick up some different bullets this weekend and see what happens.

ridgerunner1965
October 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
after some more web research it looks like i need retorqe the gas block to about 30 inch lbs and pick up some hornady .310 bullets that a lot of guys seem to have decent luck with.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 12, 2011, 07:34 AM
Sold it.:uhoh:

Marlin 45 carbine
October 12, 2011, 08:15 AM
RR - check out 'Perfect Union' forum, has a Mini page. lots of good tips.
you might check the muzzle crown too, several Mini's I've seen had rough or dinged-up crowns.

FROGO207
October 12, 2011, 08:42 AM
I have one and it is as stated utterly reliable and on a good day a 2 MOA group would be a best for sure, but for hunting where I do it is a good match. Most shots 30-50 YD average and with hand loads it fits the bill. BTW I use a 44 MAG SBH with iron sights for hunting here also with good sucess. As stated a target rifle this was never designed to be.:)

HOWARD J
October 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
I picked up my mini-30 the first year they came on the market.
I have taken a lot of deer with this rifle.
I did not buy this weapon to shoot in the same hole at 100 yards--it's a hunting rifle.
Using a 3-9 kraut scope-it shoots good enuf for me.
50 yard target using reloads:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2398/targetk.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/targetk.jpg/)

steve4102
October 12, 2011, 06:58 PM
The older Mini-30's were a .308 bore with a tapered throat. The new ones, post 1994, have a .310 bore. What year is your Mini? You can find it here.
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RI-MiniThirty.html

Mine is (was) an older .308 bore. It shot great with 125gr Sierra .308 Pro Hunters, It hated anything from Hornady with the secant ogive, AA 2230 was my go to accuracy powder, but it was pretty slow. For more speed and acceptable accuracy my powders of choice were H-322, N-130, AA 2015 and H-4198 in that order. For hunting bullets my favorite was the 135gr Sierra SSP(discontinued).

Adjusting the gas block screws is a must if you want any kind of accuracy out of your Mini. You can find all kinds of helpful info on accurizing your Mini here. Some great shootin Mini's over here.
http://charlie6.org/c6forum/index.php?sid=308a71f24ed3af90c3ee0de6fed71ede

My son purchased a Mini-30 Tactical a few months ago. I thought it was a total POS compared to my older Mini-30. Accuracy was pathetic at best. I adjusted the gas block, a little help. Had the trigger done, a little help. Ran a Tubb's Final Finish through the bore, more help. Polished the action a little more help. And last some extensive load development. After all this it was an honest solid 3 MOA rifle. Sold it.

This rifle was a .310 so I did not test any of the .308 bullets before I sold it. It did well with the Speer .310 123gr SP and rather poorly with the 123gr Hornady .310 SP. The accuracy load was 123gr Speer with 26gr of AA 1680.

You can go here and read about my Mini-30 Tactical experience.
http://charlie6.org/c6forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=199

My Mini-30 is now a true .308 bore with an ASI barrel conversion. shoots pretty good now. 20 rounds at 100 yards.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/steve4102/5-1.jpg

wingman
October 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
I installed a Mo-rod stabilizer, with that and my reloads I can shoot 1.50 at 100 yards slow fire. I have not found a good commerical load that shoots well.

ridgerunner1965
October 12, 2011, 09:11 PM
well thanks guys for all the info, yuall are very kind! it appears my mini was made about 1999.as stated before im not looking for a target rifle at all.but if im going to use it to hunt id like it to keep bullets inside a softball size target at 100yrds.if i cant do that i wont use it just out of respect for the animals im hunting.the trigger is not bad on this rifle,and it handles well and is utterly reliable with any ammo.im guessing the rifle is a .310 bore from it being a 99 and the way it did not shoot 308 bullets well at all.my next step is to adjust the gas block and and get some of the 310 bullets yuall have mentioned.ill go from there and see what happens.

wingman
October 13, 2011, 12:17 AM
Forgot to add I'm using the .310 bullets.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
October 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
sold it and got an AR15

Ranger J
October 15, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sold mine as my SKS and Saiga easily out shot it.

RJ

ridgerunner1965
October 23, 2011, 07:56 PM
as a update, got some .310 bullets today and had time to load and shoot 3 4shot groups at 125 yrds.they were midway usa 123 grn bullets.accuracy was greatly improved except for 1 thing,3 of the rounds would group about 2 inches at 125 yrds but there was always a flier 6 to 8 inches off.shooting slowly as to not let the barrel heat up.pretty weird to me.maybe my crimp isnt consistent but it looked fine to the naked eye.i guess now i need to check every round shot and see if the flier is always the same round number in the shot string. i know its not a target rifle and aint asking it to be.it shoots great at 50 yrds but the longer distances seem to trouble it.anybody else have a like problem?

1KPerDay
October 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
what have yu done to get a ruger mini 30 to shoot?
Pulled the trigger. ;):D

ridgerunner1965
October 23, 2011, 10:16 PM
ok smart duck! that is the good thing about a mini 30. ive yet to have trouble gettin it to touch off a round.

steve4102
October 23, 2011, 10:31 PM
but there was always a flier 6 to 8 inches off.

Were these fliers the first rounds fired? The Mini is well know for first round fliers. Go here to find a few tips and trick to help eliminate them.
http://charlie6.org/c6forum/viewforum.php?f=6

ridgerunner1965
October 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
had time to load and shoot some more tonite after work.the fliers seem to be on the fourth round shot. whether i shoot really slow or one right after another.the first 3 rounds go into about 2-3 inches right on target at 125 yrds.then i shot some green bear and silver bear russian ammo. i have already made a huge improvement just with my reloads.and thats just by trying one load.im going to shoot it some more and maybe try a diff powder and see what happens but i think ill call it a 100 yrd deer and coyote gun at least.thats all i ever really wanted anyway from it.

steve4102
October 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
seem to be on the fourth round shot.

Fourth round flier? That a new one for me. Bring it on over here and these guys may help you diagnose what causing it.
http://charlie6.org/c6forum/viewforum.php?f=6

If you enjoyed reading about "what have yu done to get a ruger mini 30 to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!