Back from the pawnshop with my S&W 625 mountain gun

PDA

jsalcedo
January 28, 2004, 04:30 PM
I saw this gun while browsing the pawnshop.

Polished Stainless 625 5 inch barrel with 45ACP on one side of the barrel
and Mountain gun on the other.

It is very clean with a very nice fit, finish and superb trigger.

They let it go for $450

Was this a decent deal

Anyone have experience with these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Back from the pawnshop with my S&W 625 mountain gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brasso
January 28, 2004, 05:50 PM
I'd say you did OK. You certainly didn't get shafted. They shoot great.

Johnny Guest
January 28, 2004, 06:05 PM
What "dash" number?

Firing pin in hammer? MIM parts?

Really, it matters little - - Good revolvers whichever.

I wouldn't take for my 625-6 in .45 Colt.

:)
Johnny

jsalcedo
January 28, 2004, 07:23 PM
What "dash" number?

625-6 floating firing pin.

Can't tell whats MIM or not. It has hogue grips and case hardened hammer and trigger.

JoeHatley
January 28, 2004, 07:56 PM
Congrats on good deal for a great gun!!

I bought mine new back in 2000, and have really enjoyed it. In fact, it's in my range bag right now for this Fridays session.

Let us know how it shoots.

BTW: Unless they were swapped out, those are MIM parts. See the hollow back of the trigger. Not to worry though, the MIM parts are fine, just not as pretty as the forged stuff.

Joe

4v50 Gary
January 28, 2004, 10:18 PM
Good gun buy.

41 magnum fan
January 28, 2004, 11:08 PM
You found a great gun and at a good price too.I have one and it is one of my favorite guns.I would buy another one if I could find a nice one for $500 or less.The 45 acp mountain guns usally sell quick.Too bad S&W does not make it a standard production gun.

Majic
January 28, 2004, 11:38 PM
I suppose you had a typo as all Mountain Guns have 4" tapered barrels.
A good price for a somewhat hard to find revolver.

jsalcedo
January 29, 2004, 12:14 AM
Yep 4 inch tapered.

You know how it is about adding an inch here and there.

Anyone know where I can get full moon clips?

Majic
January 29, 2004, 12:41 AM
Beckham's for the new plastic Rimz.
Smith and Wesson
Brownells
Wilsons
Numrich Gunparts

Those should get you started or hunt your next gunshow for them.

Prodigalshooter
January 29, 2004, 01:54 AM
Ranch Products 100 for $20
Good people.

http://www.ranchproducts.com/

Sarge
January 30, 2004, 08:26 AM
Revolvers are obsolete, and nobody takes them seriously as defensive weapons anymore. They don't hold a half a box of shells, and they ain't tactical. The moon-clip loading system hasn't seen use by the military for nearly 60 years, so it can't be of much good to anyone. And besides, Marshall and Sanow have proven (with mountains of empirical evidence and flawless statistics, I might add...) that the .40/155/JHP is the ultimate-tactimo one-shot stopper. Why, you should be downright ashamed of yourself for for owning that thing, and furthering such archaic beliefs in an out-of-date system. It's downright dangerous don't you know, and you could even influence some other impressionable soul into thinking that a big-bore revolver has some credence as a carry gun. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Having lived a full and interesting life, I don't have quite so much to lose- and being the conscientious citizen that I am, I'd be willing to rid you of that hopeless artifact of a bygone era- and I'd get you out from under it so's you wouldn't lose more than maybe 50 bucks in the process. I hate to be like that, but a man ought to learn from his mistakes...

All jokes aside, Jsalcedo- you done good! Congratulations on a fine and all-too-rare revolver, and at at good price. May all your future handgun puchases be conceived under the same lucky star that THIS one was.

Oh, yes- you owe me a range report as soon as you can get that thing out!

Take care-

berto
January 30, 2004, 09:14 AM
Cogratulations on your 625,hope it's a shooter!!:cool:

I just paid mine off (625-6,Five inch) and have been able to do some shooting with it,no disappointments here.

Stainz
January 30, 2004, 10:44 AM
A 625 in .45ACP (Mine is a current hammer-lock-zit version with a 4" barrel.) is a fun big bore. You can buy ammo at Wally World, for <$10/50, even! Now, a Mountain Gun, with that tapered 4" tube, partial lug, chamfered cylinder, and bright SS - it is just about perfect. I love my .45 Colt 625MG - and my 629MG as well. But you've got the 'perfect' one... a .45ACP 625 - and it is a MG! Good price, too, for a 'rare' item. My two MG's were much more plentiful... thus, they were only $500 new 1.5 years ago. I'd pay $450 for a used 625 MG... you bet! Enjoy it - and, congratulations!

Stainz

jsalcedo
February 1, 2004, 04:46 AM
I took it out today and oh my goodness.

I started out with some 200 grain LSWC and was blown away by the one hole groups at 15 yards.

I thought I was missing.

Then with some hotter 230 LRN the groups opened up a little 1.5 inches probably due to recoil.

The trigger on this gun is about the most beautiful thing I have ever encountered light, crisp, perfect.

This is a keeper I don't know why anyone would have taken this gun to a pawnshop in the first place but I'm so glad they did.

If you enjoyed reading about "Back from the pawnshop with my S&W 625 mountain gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!