Ruger .22 SA sight comparison

PDA

thomis
October 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
I'm about to acquire one of these - most likely in the 6.5 bbl length. I wish I could shoot one with fixed sights first though. I like the look of the fixed sights better but I am afraid I won't be any good with them. Primary use will be thwacking groundhogs around the barn and walking through narrow strips of woods separating ag fields. There are hundreds of holes in there and shots are often at heads less than 20 feet away.
If one takes considerable time to practice are the fixed sights worth considering?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger .22 SA sight comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 13, 2011, 03:49 PM
Single-Six Convertible?
It depends on whether or not you will ever use the convertible .22 Mag cylinder.
And if groundhogs are the target, I sure would!

If so, you want a Single-Six with adjustable sights so you can sight it in with the load you end up using.
.22RF & .22 Mag don't shoot to the same place.

rc

thomis
October 13, 2011, 04:01 PM
rc- yep, I'll mostly be shooting the .22 LR round but will occasionally switch to the .22 WMR cylinder.
I'd really like to be able to use the fixed sights model but if it's that much misery to use them then I'll consider the adjustable.

rcmodel
October 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
Well, it's not impossible to use Kentucky windage & elevation when switching loads.

But I think I would want to be able to sight in the gun exactly with Mags for ground hogs.

Then maybe use hold-off for less importent .22 RF plinking.

I have a fixed sight Colt Scout convertable and it is dead on with Mags.
Not so much with .22RF.

rc

sixgunner455
October 13, 2011, 05:02 PM
I have a fixed-sight Single Six. The sights are pretty well regulated. If you want to hit exactly with a fixed-sight single action, it is possible to adjust them, but it will only be perfectly regulated for one load. You have to think that this is a permanent adjustment when you do it.

I haven't messed with mine. Nor have I hunted anything with it to this point. But I can hit stuff with it that surprises me, and it's a lot of fun. I much prefer the appearance of the fixed-sight gun as well. If you like it, I'm pretty sure you can get good with the fixed sights. Just takes practice.

Remllez
October 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
Thomis,

Truth is if you shoot a fixed sight handgun often enough you will know exactly where it will hit with nearly any load you settle on. Even when switching to the magnum cylinder it will come natural especially at the ranges you mention.

If you like the looks of the fixed sight go for it! If you will be shooting at long range or have older eyes like mine then you'll most likely do better with an adjustable sight gun.
Whichever style you choose it will provide you with many hours of FUN!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger .22 SA sight comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!