I seem to be spending more and more time on the Revolver board...

PDA

RX-178
October 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
Which is strange, because I only own two revolvers (a GP-100 and a NAA Mini), and don't have a single one with me up here in Alaska.

I have more than half a dozen autoloaders (and added another one to my collection just last month), almost half a dozen shotguns, and even more rifles than that...

But I still seem to be spending the lion's share of my THR time right here at the wheelgun section...

Can anyone here tell me what's going on? :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "I seem to be spending more and more time on the Revolver board..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Josh45
October 13, 2011, 05:51 PM
Your going to the dark side. Its OK, The dark side is better. :D
( Own a GP-100 )

wlewisiii
October 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
If you think it's bad now, go get a nice K frame .38 special and then you'll never go back...

sixgunner455
October 13, 2011, 06:05 PM
You finally found the right place.

Now go get another revolver. :D

Big Mike
October 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
Funny you mention this as I continually find myself looking at the Model 10/64 as being the next handgun purchase I think I'll make...:)

Iggy
October 13, 2011, 08:28 PM
What took you so long?:D

bikemutt
October 13, 2011, 08:33 PM
Be careful, the disease invades quite rapidly and, as far as I know, may be incurable. Welcome.

RX-178
October 13, 2011, 08:44 PM
Well, now that you guys mention it, I HAVE been considering expanding my wheelgun selection as of late.

Been seriously eyeballing a S&W 57 Mountain Gun.

230therapy
October 13, 2011, 08:49 PM
Buy that S&W prelock! You know you want it!

What? Not an S&W guy? I have this Colt Python gathering dust over here...

Pythons are too pretty to take hunting? Ruger has this nicely priced revolver called the Blackhawk in a variety of calibers.

Gotta get a Freedom Arms gun if you want 454 Casul.

Feeling too lazy to put on a holster? Drop an S&W J-Frame into your pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis and two speed strips in the other pocket and you're ready to go.

BCRider
October 13, 2011, 11:05 PM
Can anyone here tell me what's going on?

You're just learning to appreciate the more quality aspects of life.... :D

With me I never thought I'd like those odd looking revolvers. I actually owned two or three semis at the time that I tried out my first S&W Model 10. Well by the time I was through the second cylinder it was like the heavens parted and a beam of light illuminated me like a spotlight at a rock concert.... which was pretty disconcerting as I was shooting at an indoor range at the time.... :D

I then got into black powder and Cowboy Action. So it's a slam dunk that I own more revolvers than semis. But even if I only count my "modern" DA wheelguns I'm either even or slightly revolver heavy..... It just depends on if I count my Single Six and Super Blackhawk as modern or not. If not then it's a tie. With them I'm 7 to 9 for revolvers.

motorcycle-charlie
October 13, 2011, 11:19 PM
i do understand. The High Road and its members in the Revolver section here are the reason i need to buy a bigger safe. i am willing to bet that after i return from the local gun show this weekend, my only remaining auto will be in a box on top to make room for my new (with any luck) model 19 2.5 in., or model 13 3 in., or model 10 2 in., i will take either if i find a deal.

Iggy
October 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
Guess you don't want to know about old pre-war Outdoorman .22's and 38/44s. 77 and 74 years old respectively.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/Iggy25/005.jpg

FIVETWOSEVEN
October 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
You're just getting old...

csa77
October 14, 2011, 12:03 AM
Im getting more and more into revolvers as well, I honestly find them more fun and more challenging to shoot then pistols.

bikemutt
October 14, 2011, 12:26 AM
If your'e referring to double-action revolver shooting as the more challenging aspect, one of the best things I ever did was buy a Ruger SP101 chambered in .22lr. It allowed me to forget about the recoil and stay focused so I could learn the trigger pull.

stinger 327
October 14, 2011, 01:35 AM
Which is strange, because I only own two revolvers (a GP-100 and a NAA Mini), and don't have a single one with me up here in Alaska.

I have more than half a dozen autoloaders (and added another one to my collection just last month), almost half a dozen shotguns, and even more rifles than that...

But I still seem to be spending the lion's share of my THR time right here at the wheelgun section...

Can anyone here tell me what's going on? :uhoh:
I have a NAA Mini Master that shoots both .22 Mag and .22 LR but I just can get it adjusted with those factory sites so I got a laser sight that I can adjust for windage and elevation and was made especially for this gun but I haven't had the time to find an indoor range. Can not use it outdoors as the laser is not strong enough to see in daytime.

788Ham
October 14, 2011, 01:41 AM
Iggy,

Those ol' pre war shootin' irons are really nice looking, original finish?

goodtime
October 14, 2011, 01:44 AM
I hit the Revolver section almost exclusively, though I use only pistols in my profession.

Hey bikemutt, try a Nagant for learning trigger pull. If you can learn to pull smoothly on on one of those, you'll be a master.

ArchAngelCD
October 14, 2011, 02:07 AM
It looks like it took a longer time than usual but you caught the revolver bug from your GP-100 and there's no cure.

Soooo, what will be your next revolver purchase? :evil:

sig220mw
October 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
My first was a ruger single six in about 1974 or so. There is just something about revolvers both single and double action. To me they are just better looking than autos. That's not to say that autos aren't good looking too because some of them really are. I currently own only 1 auto pistol now and have had as many as 4 at one time. Can't explain it, just like the revolvers better. If you've got the bug, you can forget it, you're hooked.

I used to not understand the appeal of military/surplus rifles and now suddenly I have 3.

I'm getting old too.

Oh yeah, I also tend to visit the revolver board the most.

Iggy
October 14, 2011, 11:27 AM
788Ham,
Yup, original finish on both of them. Shooters too.

Guillermo
October 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
I seem to be spending more and more time on the Revolver board

Are there any other places to navigate OTHER than the revolver section and the Trading Post?

Jonah71
October 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
I'm repeating myself again, but when dealing with autoloads, I feel more like I'm just "renting" them. With the exception of my old OD Green/black CZ 75 B, any of my semi's are up for a good trade. The same can't be said of my revolvers. I've been offered a good profit on most of my old wheel guns, many of which I griped about the price when I bought them. I have a strong attachment to my revolvers and even though I don't seem to shoot them as often, I treat them with more care, and would be very upset if I lost them as opposed to the bottom feeders.

Ala Dan
October 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
Nothing wrong with taking a liking to revolvers~! I own a mixture of both,
but grew up on revolvers; so there is still a warm place in my heart for nice
examples of these types~! Yes, I do own some semi-auto's; that have worked
well for me, but my first gun was still the revolver~! The more you obtain, the
more you will want~!!!!! ;) :D

Big Juan
October 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
I had two NAA minis in 22lr. Cute, but not accurate beyond about 5ft. Put those silly and poorly designed LaserLyte's on top of them, then figured out the barrels are too short to get any accuracy out of them, so traded them in and got 85% of my purchase price back at the LGS I originally bought them from. They were sold again out of the case the very next day. They're cute and popular for CC as a 'get off me' gun, but you can buy better weapons for the same money. JMHO

OldCavSoldier
October 14, 2011, 01:57 PM
Revolvers are just COOL, man!

stinger 327
October 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
I had two NAA minis in 22lr. Cute, but not accurate beyond about 5ft. Put those silly and poorly designed LaserLyte's on top of them, then figured out the barrels are too short to get any accuracy out of them, so traded them in and got 85% of my purchase price back at the LGS I originally bought them from. They were sold again out of the case the very next day. They're cute and popular for CC as a 'get off me' gun, but you can buy better weapons for the same money. JMHO
I know the Mini NAA revolvers 2 or 1 inch barrels are pretty much point blank. I have shot one of those .22 LR into a wood horse construction signal sign? Anyway the bullet went through both sides. Pretty nasty and alot better than mace and more concealable.
Then there is the .22 MAG Mini that is pretty nasty too.
The Mini Master is a 4 inch barrel has cylinders for both .22 mag and LR and I have yet adjusted the laserlyte sight on it. I hope it is better than the factory sight on the Mini Master because it has more adjustments than the factory sight. I have tried to adjust the factory sight on Mini Master with no success so when I get a chance I hope that at least the laserlyte works better through better adjustment of sight.

chanroc
October 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
I've been accumulating autos for about a year - a Kimber, Glock, and a Springer XDm (also had and sold an LCP) Couldn't get enough of the bottom feeders. Then last month, I just bought a worn/slightly used S&W 64. That rekindled my love for the .38 Spl. Now I'm looking at getting a 642 or a 638 and I already own a 3" SP101 in the .38 and the LCR in a .357. I blame the 642 club thread for giving me the itch for another sub. :evil:

I would like to get the SP101 in the .22 as well, but those things aren't cheap and I'm quite happy with my Single Six. Something about the old wheel gun that makes my heart go pitter patter...kind of like my Henry Golden Boy .22 lr.

Anyhow, I ALWAYS peek in the Revolver board. You all are a great source of info and entertainment. THANKS!

stinger 327
October 15, 2011, 05:28 AM
I've been accumulating autos for about a year - a Kimber, Glock, and a Springer XDm (also had and sold an LCP) Couldn't get enough of the bottom feeders. Then last month, I just bought a worn/slightly used S&W 64. That rekindled my love for the .38 Spl. Now I'm looking at getting a 642 or a 638 and I already own a 3" SP101 in the .38 and the LCR in a .357. I blame the 642 club thread for giving me the itch for another sub. :evil:

I would like to get the SP101 in the .22 as well, but those things aren't cheap and I'm quite happy with my Single Six. Something about the old wheel gun that makes my heart go pitter patter...kind of like my Henry Golden Boy .22 lr.

Anyhow, I ALWAYS peek in the Revolver board. You all are a great source of info and entertainment. THANKS!
The recoil must be alot for the LCR .357. Less on the heavier SP-101. Even shooting the SP-101 in .357 seems like less recoil than the LCR +P .38.

ArkieVol
October 15, 2011, 06:55 AM
If you've never tasted t-bone steak then bologna tastes just fine...I think you just got a whiff of filet mignon :) Stick around, revolvers seem to grow on you.

Iggy, those pre-war pieces are USDA Prime! Nice!

(Lord help him if he ever shoots a S&W big bore!!...lol)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/ArkieVol/guns/44specials_01smstampjpg.jpg

stinger 327
October 16, 2011, 03:10 AM
Easy to clean, maintain, simple and less likely to jam. Not as ammo dependent like autos just pull the trigger again to the next round.

CajunBass
October 16, 2011, 06:45 AM
I seem to be spending more and more time on the Revolver board...

There are other boards? :confused:

I've always heard the real measure of a man's intelligence is how much he agrees with you.

You must be a pretty bright fellow...At least when it comes to handguns. ;)

Guillermo
October 17, 2011, 12:16 AM
I've always heard the real measure of a man's intelligence is how much he agrees with you

CajunBass is a smart guy

(see post #22)

Checkman
November 19, 2011, 05:10 PM
Once infected with the revolver virus there is no cure. All one can do is add to one's revolver collection . Now get out there and buy! The economy is depending on you.

420Stainless
November 19, 2011, 07:13 PM
I hate to break it to you, but he's right.

You're just getting old...

Collecting revolvers is a nice hobby for us geezers and the best part is the target don't know and don't care what type of handgun the bullet came from. But if your hand and eyes have a fondness for the revolver you will likely be seduced by many to come.

Stacer
November 19, 2011, 08:56 PM
If collecting revolvers is for geezers I guess I'm getting old at 28. Right now the only revolver I have is a pre 17, but a trade is in the works for an NAA 22lr, and dad has a "few" shiny toys locked away in safes.

Kendal Black
November 19, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hmm. Yes. Well. In situations where either an auto pistol or a revolver will do, I prefer the revolver. It is a friendlier and simpler to use piece of machinery.

Shrinkmd
November 20, 2011, 10:14 PM
I wonder if I shoot my revolvers better because I shoot them more often, or if I shoot them more often because I shoot them better.

For some reason the double action trigger pull on a DA/SA gun like the Smith 3rd gen pistols seems odd, but on a revolver I'm fine. I enjoy my 1911 quite a bit too, but as time goes by there really isn't much you can't do with a 357 or 44 Mag revolver (and a reloading setup!)

stinger 327
November 21, 2011, 12:50 AM
I wonder if I shoot my revolvers better because I shoot them more often, or if I shoot them more often because I shoot them better.

For some reason the double action trigger pull on a DA/SA gun like the Smith 3rd gen pistols seems odd, but on a revolver I'm fine. I enjoy my 1911 quite a bit too, but as time goes by there really isn't much you can't do with a 357 or 44 Mag revolver (and a reloading setup!)
Perhaps you should shoot your auto S/A.

If you enjoyed reading about "I seem to be spending more and more time on the Revolver board..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!