Taurus 65/66, pinned, recessed, fixed-sights?

PDA

bikemutt
October 13, 2011, 08:07 PM
I picked up this Taurus revolver yesterday for a pretty reasonable price. It appears to be in very good condition considering it's age, which is only known to be "old". Even Taurus doesn't have any idea what gun this is as the serial number is from "way back".

Anyway, it's a 4", 6-shot .357 magnum SS gun. The grips suck but that's easily remedied. I was so enamored with the fact that the barrel is pinned and the cylinder recessed, I barely noticed the fixed sights, not until I'd committed to the deal.

Took it to the range today and just as I figured, the only thing I did not "get" was the fixed sights. Once I gave up trying to make use of the "sights", I started instinct shooting the thing and by George, I was soon putting every round somewhere inside a 10" target at 30'. A mix of .357 mag and .38 specials.

So I kind of like this gun, it's built like a tank, .357 loads actually feel better, and appear to have less muzzle flip than .38 special (I won't swear to that, just a gut feel at this stage). It has a great DA trigger, SA is perfect.

Before I spend a dime on grips for it, I thought I'd ask others who may be familiar with these fixed sight guns; what's the reason for the low, almost dysfunctional sights? At this stage I can see it as a good truck gun, or downstairs drawer gun, tackle box gun etc. For me anyway, I can't imagine using it as a range target gun, nor a concealed carry piece owing to barrel length and weight.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus 65/66, pinned, recessed, fixed-sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
October 13, 2011, 10:18 PM
I've got a couple of 66s, pinned yes, but not recessed. Wow, new on on me.

My 3" is a late 80s gun, older hammer block trigger system. Yes, a rugged, reliable, and very accurate revolver. My 4" has the newer, and better, transfer bar trigger, excellent DA and SA. It's an early 90s 66. It is also VERY accurate, reliable, and well built/rugged. These guns have a little larger frame than my old K frams, allows for a ROUND forcing cone, a weak point on the K frames that Smith eliminated on the L frame. I think the Taurus 66 sorta splits the difference between L and K in size.

these things are BARGAINS used thanks to all the Taurus bashers and Smith snobs. I picked up the 3" several years back at a gun show for $180. The 4" is cleaner, nickeled, is VERY tight, and only ran me 200 at a gun show sometime about 10 years ago, I guess. I would trade neither for my old M19 or my old Security Six. The 3" is a good carry size IWB or OWB and the 4" makes a good hiking gun. The 3" shoots 1.5" at 25 yards off the bench, 6 shots, and the 4" will better those groups by 1/2". That's as good as I can shoot with iron sights. These things handle the hottest load with little fanfare. My Security Six had a somewhat stronger design, but it was tough on the hand with hot loads and had a lot more muzzle flip in recoil. It was also not even close to as accurate with .38s, though it shot .357 about as well.

All in all, functionally, I wouldn't trade my Tauri for my SS and/or my M19 except that the other two will command a higher price. Mine are the 66s, not the 65, so I have adjustable sights that are quite visible. But, hell, the 3", I'd rather have the fixed sights as I carry this thing from time to time. Works with the adjustables, though. It's just that fixed sights are rugged and not as apt to snag on clothing on the draw. Most defensive scenarios I'll be point shooting, anyway, though. I mostly pocket carry my M85SSUL, another Taurus, and it has fixed sights. Not a problem as the gun is very accurate and the sights easy to see. My Smith M10 is fixed sight and I've won some local shoots with it years ago. I put a heavy barrel on it, like that over the pencil barrel it once wore. Cracked the forcing cone on the pencil barrel, so that gave me the excuse to do what I'd already thought I wanted. The heavy barrel is quite close in feel to my 4" 66, though the 66 is a little heavier gun.

I love Hogue grips, have a Hogue on my 3", but a finger grooved Taurus rubber grip on the 4" similar to Pachmayr grippers. Different grips on 'em (pachmayr) when I took this pic some time back.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2liiv60.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus 65/66, pinned, recessed, fixed-sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!