Out-of-spec SAR-1 AK...

PDA

Mulliga
January 28, 2004, 07:52 PM
I was cleaning up my SAR-1 when I noticed the ten-round mag that came in the box. I had never tried it out before, so I tried inserting it. Unfortunately, no matter how I tried, the mag wouldn't seat. 30/40-round AK mags fit fine, but the ten rounder doesn't. What gives?

If you enjoyed reading about "Out-of-spec SAR-1 AK..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Redlg155
January 28, 2004, 08:17 PM
If your 30 and 40 round AK mags fit fine, then don't worry. Your SAR1 isn't out of spec. The magazine that came with it is out of spec or was designed for the WSAR which is basically the same weapon, but only accepts 5 and ten round magazines.

Just curious, is the ten round magazine a single stack instead of the larger double stack design of the 30 and 40 rd mags?

If so then they sent you a mag for a WSAR single stack type AK. I'd contact the folks that sold you the rifle for a replacement magazine. I had though that all of the SAR1s came with a Romanian 40rd mag.

Good SHooting
Red

Badger Arms
January 28, 2004, 11:19 PM
Out-of-spec SAR-1 AK...HAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha.... gasp... HAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahaha. That's a redundant statement. Look down the barrel at the front sight block and gas block. If those are in line with the receiver, then it MUST be out of spec. I've never seen one that was lined up right. I think their specs called for them to be canted to get under our skin. And we still buy them!

Mulliga
January 29, 2004, 12:16 AM
Mine are really, really straight :).

Well, I guess I won't sweat it, then. I need a 5-rounder anyway if I want to hunt deer.

Master Blaster
January 29, 2004, 10:54 AM
My 2003 SAR-1 laminated version is perfectly straight as well. I have seen the canted ones though.

son of a gun
January 29, 2004, 06:58 PM
Was the original 10 round mag one of those single stacked mags legal for California ? May be the gun had been modified to accept double stacked mags after it was imported to the USA and they forgot to remove the 10 rounder that no longer fits.

RustyHammer
January 30, 2004, 12:06 PM
Trying to put a 10-round mag in an AK is like trying to put a motor from a Ford Pinto into a Hummer ... it just doesn't belong!

Toss the mag and buy more 30's ... and ...

FORGETTA AH BOUD-IT!

/Rusty

GlocksRock
January 30, 2004, 01:30 PM
My SAR-1 is straight, and the 10 rounder is a bit tight but it fits. The 40 rounder that it came with fits great.

Mulliga
January 30, 2004, 01:50 PM
No, the ten rounder is a double stack. Guess I'll stick with the 30s.

Tropical Z
January 30, 2004, 02:27 PM
My long gone SAR-2 came with a 10 rounder that didnt fit it.Never tried it in any other gun.:confused:

Master Blaster
January 30, 2004, 04:54 PM
10 rounder no Good.???????

It makes it easier to shoot your AK off of a bench or a rest, you know when you are single loading and shooting with the hunters and the benchrest guys at DELCO for small groups.:rolleyes: :barf:

Tomac
January 31, 2004, 08:03 PM
7 5.45 SAR-2s ('99-'03 models) and all had straight sights/blocks. However, 2 of my earlier SAR-2s came w/10rd mags that didn't fit because they were *7.62x39* 10rd mags!
Tomac

Logistar
February 1, 2004, 12:15 AM
I had though that all of the SAR1s came with a Romanian 40rd mag. Well, Red, my SAR-1 came with a 10-round mag. It fits perfectly. It is great for using on a bench and hey, I can legally use the 10-rounder for hunting here!

- may have just been luck but my 10-rounder that came with the gun probably fits better than any of the 30 or 40 rounders that I have bought since.

FWIW

Logistar

If you enjoyed reading about "Out-of-spec SAR-1 AK..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!