reputable places to locate a decent M1?

PDA

280PLUS
January 28, 2004, 09:46 PM
ermey did it to me,,,

watched his thing on the M1 Garand last night (?) and i think i may have to get one

are those ones you see advertised near the front of american rifleman every month any good?

or better yet,,,is the company selling them to you any good?

where are some other places to look?

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "reputable places to locate a decent M1?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ARperson
January 28, 2004, 09:50 PM
www.odcmp.org

Go to rifle sales, M1 Garand.

You may need to go shoot a high power match to qualify, often times state gun clubs sponsor matches just for this.

Best way to get a quality Garand at a very VERY good price.

starfuryzeta
January 28, 2004, 10:51 PM
CMP is the best way to go.

If you have a C&R license, you can get them from
http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandrifles.htm or
http://www.garandguy.com

Badger Arms
January 28, 2004, 11:16 PM
I'll just put in another vote. When you buy a CMP gun and keep the box/paperwork, your gun is worth more than ANY undocumented gun in like condition. Also, you can be sure of WHY the CMP is selling them. Often, used guns have been passed down because they are undesierable, inaccurate, broke, unreliable, or otherwise damaged goods.

iamkris
January 28, 2004, 11:54 PM
Yup, got mine from the CMP and shes a honey. Best $500 I ever spent.

Nando Aqui
January 29, 2004, 12:09 AM
If
(1) you are a U.S. citizen
(2) shoot at matches or can get a letter from a range officer verifying that you have shot so as to satisfy the shooting requirements,
(3) belong to an affiliated club (or simply join the Garand Collector's Association for $25)

You can get one from the CMP (www.odcmp.com) as suggested above. Although you will not know what you will get, it usually is fine. (Go to www.battlerifles.com and read the posts from guys who receive M1's from the CMP - almost daily.)

Or, get one from the GarandGuy; you can't go wrong with Tony Giacobbe.

(I have done both.)

Enjoy

Alex

Houndawg
January 29, 2004, 05:47 AM
If you have a DD214 in hand, you don't have to do the shooting requirement.

280PLUS
January 29, 2004, 07:59 AM
got one!

now i must rehearse,,,

"honey,,,it's not a new rifle,,,

honey,,,it's not a new rifle,,,

see how old it looks?"

:evil:

Swampy
January 29, 2004, 08:19 AM
280plus,

I buy ALL my M1's from the CMP. Gotten my money's worth every time.

The CMP are good folks to work with.

Wanna' see???

Go to: Swampy's Good Stuff (http://www.swampworks.com/SwampysStuff-Home.html)

Garands forever,
Swampy

ScottsGT
January 29, 2004, 09:29 AM
Be careful.......
Where there is one, there is another waiting to be purchased.
GOTCHA! Garanditis! No known cure. Except another Garand.
My CMP 1903A3 just was loaded onto the Big White Truck for delivery by 10:30a.m.
Can't wait!

cracked butt
January 29, 2004, 10:15 AM
1. order an M1 or two from CMP.
2. check yourself into a 12 step program- it will save your life savings and your marriage.

:evil:

280PLUS
January 29, 2004, 10:47 AM
i was just at the web cmp website,,,trouble controlling urge,,,aaacckk!!

i'm assuming rack grade is what i want but springfield,,,h&r,,,or winchester?

does higher price mean better or less available?

geez,,,and just as i was catching up on those pesky credit cards,,,

:rolleyes:

Swampy
January 29, 2004, 11:15 AM
280plus,

Get the Service Grade for a guaranteed shooter right from the box.

While SOME of the Rack Grades do indeed have nice barrels, some don't. Therein lies the gamble.

I've seen some REALLY crappy barrels on Rack Grades. Only buy a Rack Grade if you are prepared mentally and $$$ wise to send it off for a re-barreling..... or if you really don't care what the barrel condition is.

Best regards,
Swampy

280PLUS
January 29, 2004, 12:03 PM
youre right,,,i meant service grade,,,caught it but forgot to change it,,,

tx

Ed
January 29, 2004, 02:10 PM
I guess I am the exception to the Rack grade thing, I threw on a Win RG to my last order and got a like new LMR star guaged barrel. Don't know really if the star is real or not but its my best shooter. Was marked Rack due to Finish. But yeah I'd go with a SG. My H&R is the best shape I have seen.

Hatchett
January 29, 2004, 11:24 PM
The CMP was the best money I ever spent.

Can't really recommend it enough.

TrapperReady
January 30, 2004, 12:10 AM
Don't do it!

You'll start out with one. Probably a SA Service Grade.

Then, you'll start hanging out at jouster.com. Pretty soon, you'll want another one. Maybe a H&R or Winchester.

Once you've got two, you NEED a third. Why? Well, so you've got enough to stack properly (I mean... they've got those swivels right there, and it IS what they were designed for... RIGHT???!!).

Once you've got three... your a bonafide collector. May as well start looking for all-matching pieces. Once you've got a "complete" war-baby, then you start thinking about getting a gas-trap, or an M1-D, or both.

If you can actually take time away from collecting and start shooting them, you'll end up deciding you need one rebarreled for .308. As long as you're spending money, you may as well get a custom high-grade Wenig's stock, so that everyone else on the line will go "Oooohhh.... Ahhhhhh...." when you pull it out of the case.

Then there's the accessories... oilers, bayonets, cleaning kits, slings, bags, etc...

Just put the order forms down and back away while you still can. Don't say you haven't been warned!

280PLUS
January 30, 2004, 07:50 AM
i'm at the outer fringes of the vortex but i'm starting to feel myself slipping inward,,,

nooooo,,,

:eek:

i'm assuming the winchester would be the most desirable of the 3 makers,,,

am i right?

Swampy
January 30, 2004, 09:16 AM
280plus wrote:

i'm assuming the winchester would be the most desirable of the 3 makers,,, Am I right???

In a word.... NO.

The Winchesters are priced higher STRICTLY because of rarity and the itty-bitty scrolled Winchester name on the receiver heel.

As far as reliability goes all M1's meet spec.... even the Winny's.

As far as metal finish and accuracy goes (talking about with original Winny barrels here....) the Winny's definitely take last place.

Winchesters are not known for stellar accuracy. They also have a rep for very poor finish machining. I own one Winny that looks like the receiver was made by an 8th Grade metal shop student who flunked the course. There are literally HUNDREDS of fly cutter gouges in the receiver legs. The finish is SO ROUGH there is no way you could glass bed this rifle. With this many undercuts you could never remove it from the bedding.

While not all Winnys are this way, there are enough guys out there that report similar rifles that the rep for poor machining is deserved.

During WWII Winchester was in the game for the money.... Do it the quickest and fastest way that met USGI spec and to heck with esthetics.

If you are looking for a shooter out of the box, an SA or H&R Service Grade is your best bet for a nice looking rifle with a good barrel.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

ScottsGT
January 30, 2004, 09:22 AM
My understanding is that H&R is the one with the best finish and tightest tolerances. Even though they are all built to "mil-spec". Just get a Springfield, then the rest will be your excuse to buy another.

If you enjoyed reading about "reputable places to locate a decent M1?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!