Colt 1911 XSE Commander- Round Count Updated from Time to Time

PDA

cyclopsshooter
October 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
This is the story of one newly purchased Colt Commander 1911 XSE in Stainless Steel. 10/14/2011 This pistol will be used often for carry, target use, general fun, and a heck of a lot of handling. I will be updating this thread with round counts, events, and work done... Lets see how she holds up over the long haul :)

A little back story:

A few months back I decided to hunt down a centennial Colt with the "100 Years of Service" roll-mark- I didnt intend this to be a shooter.. More or less just a safe queen to bring out every now and then to serve as a benchmark against earlier Colts. Since this was for fun I gravitated toward the Rail Gun. Having been unimpressed by some earlier 80 Series products, I was a little worried about ordering in a new Colt. However, those worries were unfounded. It turned out to be a top quality product (despite a buffing blemish aft of the ejection port, and a need for deburring...) I have no plans to deburr the Rail Gun or to mess with the blemish, I'd like to keep it just as it came from the factory.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1227.jpg
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1234.jpg

It really sucked not shooting it at first but as fortune had it, a customer who also fell in love with the pistol upon handling it, immediately ordered one for himself. A few weeks later my distributor finally allocated me three of the two-tone Rail Guns, as soon as they arrived my customer hit a straight line back into the range and invited me to shoot it too :) Score! The Trigger was a little stiff to break at first but got MUCH better once through a box of ammo... It grouped nicely and worked flawlessly, a very sweet shooter.

Having only owned 5" models I was pleasantly surprised a while back when another customer let me handle a few of his Commander models. (Used Commander models just don't circulate in these parts) The balance was quite nice and I didn't have to worry about that damn last 3/4" sticking out below my over shirt! Also, when shooting the Commanders, they didn't seem to kick as much to the left as the Government Models... a bit easier to bring back on target.

So, last week my Davidsons sales rep called outa the blue and said he had a couple of Colts allocated- I perked right up having sold out of the two-tone Rail Guns months ago. He had a Wiley Clap Commander and a stainless XSE Commander. The WC's price gave me pause but I figured what the hell :) I didnt give the XSE much thought beyond thinking that it would be an easy sell.. turned out it was RREEAALLYY easy to sell as I fell in love at first sight :p

I have already added Pearce finger grips and swapped out the ambi-safety for a 70 Series style.. also added an inside the pants belt clip- Nice grab and go setup.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1236.jpg
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1239.jpg

I'm a little bummed at the safety scratches.. might try to buff those down a little at some point... gonna replace the hammer and sear pins too, those flat ones just don't look right-

This is a living record (like I attempted with a Taurus 1911 and failed- http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=588451 ) However, I expect good things from this Colt :)

Now, we begin- Lets shoot!

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1911 XSE Commander- Round Count Updated from Time to Time" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Capt. Ct.
October 16, 2011, 06:06 AM
I handled one about a year ago. After giving it some thought I went back to buy it and it was gone.:banghead: I sure like the looks of those guns.

cyclopsshooter
October 18, 2011, 11:51 PM
Finally had a chance to run the first two mags today (same mag for both sets) 16 rounds, one failure to feed. The failure was the last round of the first set. Not yet sure as to why... I have never seen a miss-feed where the round was nearly vertical with the case rim still in the magazine. Possible limp wrist..

The pistol shoots well, ragged 1-2"ish hole at 8 yards- I will bench rest it soon and find out for sure what it can do.

cant wait to run a few hundred rounds :)

SSN Vet
October 19, 2011, 10:50 AM
buy stiffer Wolf Springs for the Colt factory 8 round mags....

The Colt 8 round mag follower is good, but they come with a shorter spring (which is how they get the extra round in) and need the extra compressive force over their full length of travel.

Either that or switch to Colt factory 7 round mags (or put a Tripp Insustries follower and spring kit in your 8 round mags, converting them to 7 rounders) and you will be 100% reliable for ever more.

SSN Vet
October 19, 2011, 10:59 AM
on a side note....

If you ever get tired of the Duck Bill grip safety, the Wilson drop in beavertail specifically for Colt enhanced receivers (which all of their Commanders have) is a really easy part to install (just minor filing on the blocking tab), fits the Colt frame better than the factory part and requires no modification to the frame.

The Ed Brown main spring housing was a true drop in part for my Commander.

cyclopsshooter
October 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks SSN Vet, that's good to hear! I have had no experience with these new Colt 8 rnd mags until now..

I just snuck back into the range and ran a 50rnd box of Magtec ball (using the one, same mag from yesterday. It ran flawlessly until the "last round" of the second to last mag fill. Exact same malfunction as yesterday- the case rim never never made it up to the slide breech face's (pushing lug I guess you could call it)..

Overall I'm quite happy at the moment.. gonna order a spring and see if it helps.. who needs an 8th round that doesn't always feed :P

round count: 66

cyclopsshooter
October 19, 2011, 07:13 PM
Note: If you want to use a belt clip attachment like I have on the commander, get a pistol WITHOUT front serrations! Its not a problem coming out but going in the waistband is rather tricky.

dcarch
October 20, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm gonna tag onto this one. I followed the Taurus thread, and I want to see how well the Colt holds up in comparison. I've always heard things like "I've shot 10,000 rounds through (insert pistol model here) without a single failure..." but it's nice to actually see some real results with real numbers and real pictures. Thanks in advance!

Pilot
October 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
As soon as Colt drops the 100 year rollmark, I am buying one of these.

1KPerDay
October 20, 2011, 01:17 PM
As soon as Colt drops the 100 year rollmark, I am buying one of these.
Yeh, I'm not a fan of extra crap on the slide either.

cyclopsshooter
October 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
HAHA- I like the roll-mark. To each his own :)

No Quarter
October 20, 2011, 02:22 PM
I like that old style safety as well! I also like my duckbill grip safety. My gun is a little older with 2 hole trigger and different sights. Also has a matte finish.

Great guns, wonderful to shoot. Looking forward to further updates.

cyclopsshooter
October 20, 2011, 11:50 PM
no quarter, nice touch with the silver eagle- i'm an aesthetic fan of heraldic eagles and the one on the back of that coin has long been a favorite- right behind the kennedy half :)

this pistol will be matte like yours in good time... after enough scrapes and scratches it'll be on a visit to the bead blaster- a quick cheap refinish like that makes a good case for stainless steel (no slam on deep blue 'n nice wood)

No Quarter
October 21, 2011, 12:34 AM
CS,

I love the coins as well. I keep a stack of silver eagles on my desk and find myself fiddling around with them when I am thinking. Little pieces of art in my opinion.

Re: the matte finish, a quick teardown and quick pop in the blasting cabinet keeps them looking minty fresh! I like it better than the polished finish,at least on a hard use firearm.

Enjoy the new Commander. I am looking forward to keeping an eye on this thread.

cyclopsshooter
October 21, 2011, 08:16 PM
Shot a little more today using an old Colt 7 round mag.
A customer wanted to try a 1911 so I let him run 6 rounds of ball ammo
I ran 7 rounds of Gold Dots and 6 rounds of Winchester HPs.
No malfunctions.

Round count: 85

cyclopsshooter
October 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
Just ran 50 rounds of ball in two new Wilson mags, four old Colt mags, and one old military 1M291 mag. No Malfunctions. No maintenance or cleaning yet.

Round count: 135

cyclopsshooter
October 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
14more rounds, 7 ball, 7 win HP No problems

Round count: 149

cyclopsshooter
October 22, 2011, 07:20 PM
Local LEO chief was in and wanted to try it. 6 rounds of ball

another customer wanted to run a mag 7 rounds of ball

no malfunctions

Round Count: 162

RyeDaddy
October 22, 2011, 09:58 PM
Interesting, mine will be here this coming week. Had to have the 100 year mark myself. Some I've seen have a real beavertail grip safety and others have the duckbill, dealer said mine has the duckbill also. Thanks for reporting.

Hangingrock
October 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc277/lowflash/Colt_XSE_Oct2008/ColtXSE2008Oct.jpg
This is an old style XSE Government that I up graded to present configuration in 2008.

cyclopsshooter
October 24, 2011, 01:50 AM
Nice pistol Rock! I do like the look and feel of beavertails like yours but I gotta give the duckbill credit for allowing a quick easy single handed hammer cock- Feels a little more difficult on my Rail Gun grip safety.

50 more rounds today- Shot from the tailgate of a slow moving truck- mushrooms, mole hills, and damaged apples left on the ground... no malfunctions. Whipping the pistol around at moving targets while bouncing around was an absolute hoot :)

I'm about ready to deem this pistol "out of the box reliable" if you subtract the mag spring issue. The pistol has been incredible and very fun to shoot! I'm liking Commanders-

Round count: 212

cyclopsshooter
October 24, 2011, 02:19 AM
Here she is as of tonight and uncleaned- Earlier this week I replaced the original wood with some expendable aftermarket grips (I had these grips on the Taurus PT1911 that I did a thread on) I also threw on a Springfield arched ILS mainspring housing.. Thats right, I added a lock! GASP* :p

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1279.jpg

wally
October 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
I have never seen a miss-feed where the round was nearly vertical with the case rim still in the magazine. Possible limp wrist..

Nope, sounds like a "bolt over base" feed failure. Usually a mag spring issue, but it can be caused by a poor finish inside the mag causing the follower to bind, in which case it often just goes away with a little use.

cyclopsshooter
October 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
youre right, its absolutely a mag issue- the pistol has been perfect using a host of mags proven in my other colts. the factory mags that came with the piece have very smooth bodies, im inclined to think its the springs. hopefully someday soon ill quit being lazy and order those wolf +5% springs.

cyclopsshooter
October 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Project Part 1-

I have been playing with 1911s for years- even built a number of them from the ground up- however, I have never built a high end match pistol- mostly just GI guns- I would say that I have pretty good knowledge of how they work and know what not to do and the areas to be careful of... ie. thumb safety fit and and sear issues.
A few years ago I found a pretty good deal on an older Combat Elite that had had a professional makeover- It was quality work ans I seek to reproduce some of the features on my Commander. I still have it and would like to use it as a base of study.
Before I start though, Id like to have some discussion with the experts here- I'm not in a rush, the pistol is working perfectly and I'm not too keen on fixing something that aint broke :P
However, the Combat Elite has the slickest slide I have ever racked- I'm pretty sure it is because the frame and slide rails were polished- It also looks like the guide rod was polished too- Id like to reproduce this but I'd like to hear some pros and cons before proceeding... Also, what is the best way to polish the inside rail grooves?

I do some work in my shop on 1911s.. mostly safety swaps and ramp polishing but Id like to offer some new services (But I DONT want to cut my teeth on a customer gun)

Anyway, this is the start- What say you 1911 experts?

RyeDaddy
October 27, 2011, 09:10 PM
Just picked mine up today. Put 75 rounds through it right out of box without a hitch. ACCURATE! The duckbill grip safety has to go, and I'm gonna have it bob-tailed. Maybe have the slide done in black if it won't cover up the rollmarks. I really like it! Worth the wait and the money!

cyclopsshooter
October 27, 2011, 09:16 PM
NICE! Post a pic :)

cyclopsshooter
October 29, 2011, 05:15 PM
Just ran another quick 50 at 10 yards (still not cleaned)- used the ol proven 7 rounders and the two factory 8s No malfunctions with the 7 rounders but each of the 8 round mags did the same last round vertical jam-

My verdict is that Colts are reliable outa the box- no question about the pistol but be ware of the new mags Colt is putting out.

On another note, I think my brass is hitting the belt clip leaving a ding.. I'm just now getting into reloading (Dillon 550) will this ding cause reloading problems? (dinged case in photo)

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0794.jpg

Co-worker shot 8 more rounds while I was typing this-

Round Count: 270

cyclopsshooter
October 29, 2011, 08:16 PM
Couldnt help it... cleaned her for the first time at 270 rounds, she was a dirty girl with that cheap ball.

Ordered some low-rise Novak night sights too :D

cyclopsshooter
October 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
Ok, went back and ran seven rounds of 230gr Speer Gold Dot at 10 yards from a rest (a crappy little rest) Anyway, this is the group, the top flier might have had a little flinch behind it and just to make one more excuse the front sight post darn near covered the black center of the target..

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0798.jpg

Round Count: 277

cyclopsshooter
October 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
slow afternoon here in the shop- another 50 ball

round count: 327

No Quarter
October 30, 2011, 12:58 AM
Seems like she is purring away.

I ran 150 rounds through my stainless combat commander today. Had a ball!

Boringly consistent. Figured the gun runs better with white lithium grease on the rails than the CLP or Ballistol i have been using.

Saw a Talo Night Defender (Colt) show up lightly used in the gun case today. I intend to go back Monday and make that momma MINE.

Please keep the updates coming. I am enjoying this thread.

cyclopsshooter
October 30, 2011, 01:45 AM
I had one of those Talo Night Defenders in the shop about a year ago- Sweet little pistol it is-

Hmmm.. rather sore tonight in the lower joint of my right thumb Metacarpal.. Wonder how that happened?..

By the way, please FEEL FREE to post photos of your favorite "Colt" 1911 shooter.

cyclopsshooter
October 31, 2011, 03:33 AM
Knew I had an extra 5" barrel in a box somewhere... You thinkin what I'm thinkin?

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1287.jpg

cyclopsshooter
November 1, 2011, 02:55 AM
50 rounds today, first 8 went down the 5" barrel for testing of fit- seems the barrel likes a Wilson #4 link , had to narrow the the hood a bit. All 50 went without malfunction, should send the barrel off soon to get threaded.

Round count : 377

para38super
November 1, 2011, 10:46 AM
youre right, its absolutely a mag issue- the pistol has been perfect using a host of mags proven in my other colts. the factory mags that came with the piece have very smooth bodies, im inclined to think its the springs. hopefully someday soon ill quit being lazy and order those wolf +5% springs.
I had the same problem with my Colt 8rd mags, but cured the problem with Wolff +5% springs. They pretty much became power mags. Do your mags have the skirted follower or do they have the devel follower(shooting star follower)? Can you post some pics, I was told those skirted follower mags use propietary springs from Checkmate.

By the way nice Colt you have there, I have a government model and pretty happy with it. I have had a couple issues with mags, but when running good mags it runs perfect. I use Colt 7rd and Wilson 7rd for carry.

Greg528iT
November 1, 2011, 10:54 AM
Knew I had an extra 5" barrel in a box somewhere... You thinkin what I'm thinkin?

I'd think that as well. but, how does that barrel seat in the bushing? There should be a slight taper to the barrel at the tip that nests to the bushing and keeps the barrel pointed straight fwd.

cyclopsshooter
November 1, 2011, 06:41 PM
Greg, the barrel seats well but i do not recall having a taper, the barrel is a take off from an older colt 1991a1.

Installed my novak trijicons today :)

FIRED 6 ROUNDS OF FEDERAL +P

ROUND COUNT: 383

Edit- The 91a1 barrel has no taper

cyclopsshooter
November 1, 2011, 10:31 PM
11/1/11 Got my first STUPID SCRATCHES today ... Sat the slide down on the workbench without noticing the metal filings near the vise.. then gave it a gentle nudge to make room for an emergency customer bore-sight... :banghead: Bound to happen sooner or later but hoped to hold it off longer..

dcarch
November 2, 2011, 11:31 AM
Oops.
I got my first idiot mark the first time I tried to put the slide stop back in. :)

Greg528iT
November 2, 2011, 11:35 AM
It might just be a Springfield design. My (2) 5" Springers have a neck down just aft of the barrel end. Like the bigger taper of the Bull barrels, but very slight. I see how such a taper would allow the barrel to pivot on the link easier, when the slide retracts, but allows a very snug fit when in battery.

cyclopsshooter
November 2, 2011, 03:50 PM
The 70 series Colts and the earlier 80 series have a taper too.

cyclopsshooter
November 3, 2011, 11:34 PM
I am just amazed at the trigger on this piece- Glass breakingly crisp... I wish I could find out how a factory production 80 series trigger can be this clean..

I don't have an accurate way to measure the weight but my gut says 4 lbs - its no 70 series Gold Cup but there is NO creep-

Dammit... Now I got it in my head to detail strip in again to take a closer look.. brb

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1308.jpg

The sear and disconnector are most definitely MIM but the sear contact surface seems to be pretty smooth and the wear marks from the hammer hooks are even, a good sign.. The disconnector has a high polished look to it. The hammer hooks have been ground back to the same depth as the mating sear surface (note the photo gives the illusion of longer hammer hooks but that is not the case) (this is critical in a good trigger job- too often though, a home job will remove too much, do it unevenly, or both.. causing hammer follow)

The 80 series plunger levers seem to be stamp cut steel. they are polished and de-burred from the factory as well. (they are just as shiny as the disconnector but this is not seen in the photo due to their angle.)

The plunger in the slide does not seem to feel any different than other 80 series Colts that Ive handled.

Anyway... its a crisp trigger :)

SSN Vet
November 4, 2011, 05:15 PM
My S80 Commander is creep free, and breaks crisply at 4.75# as measured on a Lyman digital..... right out of the box.

So nice.....

cyclopsshooter
November 6, 2011, 08:41 PM
50 rounds of PMC Bronze today- using 4 Wilson 10 rounders and one no name 10 rnd mag. No malfunctions.

Round Count: 433

cyclopsshooter
November 12, 2011, 08:51 PM
Buddy of mine showed up with his Glock 19 and challenged me to a shoot- 7 rounds each- he lost :)

Round count 440

cyclopsshooter
November 14, 2011, 12:55 AM
Put a mag into a stump today

Round Count 448

para38super
November 14, 2011, 11:42 AM
I love hearing your updates, have you done anything to your Colt 8rd mags to make them work?

cyclopsshooter
November 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
Not yet, being lazy, still using old Colt 7 rounders and some 8 rnd wilsons... :)

para38super
November 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
Not yet, being lazy, still using old Colt 7 rounders and some 8 rnd wilsons... :)
I have been using Colt 7rd mags and Wilson mags as well. Please lets us know when you fixed them and how you fixed them.

Do your Colt 8rd mags have a teflon coated follower with a skirt or are they with out a skirt?

cyclopsshooter
November 15, 2011, 12:48 AM
I can not say for sure whether the follower is teflon coated but it is not the same as the older 7 round mags. It looks like you could call is skirted. I may go ahead and order springs this week.. I may even replace all my mag springs while I'm at it.

I will post a photo of the components when I do the spring swap

para38super
November 15, 2011, 10:04 AM
I can not say for sure whether the follower is teflon coated but it is not the same as the older 7 round mags. It looks like you could call is skirted. I may go ahead and order springs this week.. I may even replace all my mag springs while I'm at it.

I will post a photo of the components when I do the spring swap
Just make sure you get the right springs for those Colt 8rd mags. If the mag has a skirt it will use a different spring vs the follower without the skirt. I believe the mags with the skirt use a Checkamte propietary spring.

cyclopsshooter
November 24, 2011, 04:00 PM
Happy Turkey Day- Not much to report- Haven't fired it for a while but it has been a regular companion with me over the last few weeks. I'm adapting to it well as an instinctive, comfortable, go to firearm. I simply trust it!

cyclopsshooter
December 5, 2011, 01:25 AM
Visited some family today. My cousin and I had planned on doing some shooting and after hearing about about it a friend of his from church asked if he and his son could come out and try shooting firearms for the first time. My cousin and I made a good show out of it and took out two AR-15s, an M14, an AK47 with a 75 round drum (All semi-auto.. no fun switch here) Also took out a Ruger MkII Target, a S&W K22, S&W M28, a 10/22 and my Commander.
After a safety lesson for the new folk we let the fun commence- The biggest hits with the youngsters (three adults and four children under 16) were the Ruger MK II and the AK.

Well, enough of Hijacking my own thread so on with the Colt :p

Shot 50 rounds through the 5 Wilson 10 rounders. Both of the two newbies limp-wristed their first round despite my advising them to grip the firearm firmly. Guess they actually had feel a rounds recoil before understanding.. In both cases they each finished off the remaining 9 rounds without mishap. The dad is thinking of a 1911 with a .22 conversion as his first gun.

The limp-wristing has made me wonder about how I do a pistol report here. Would it be benneficial to readers popping in on later pages to see a detailed round count report?

Round count: 498
Pistol failures: 0
Mag related failures: 3
Shooter related failures: 2
Ammo related failures: 0

Or am I splitting hairs like an OCD girly-man? :o

para38super
December 5, 2011, 05:12 PM
Visited some family today. My cousin and I had planned on doing some shooting and after hearing about about it a friend of his from church asked if he and his son could come out and try shooting firearms for the first time. My cousin and I made a good show out of it and took out two AR-15s, an M14, an AK47 with a 75 round drum (All semi-auto.. no fun switch here) Also took out a Ruger MkII Target, a S&W K22, S&W M28, a 10/22 and my Commander.
After a safety lesson for the new folk we let the fun commence- The biggest hits with the youngsters (three adults and four children under 16) were the Ruger MK II and the AK.

Well, enough of Hijacking my own thread so on with the Colt :p

Shot 50 rounds through the 5 Wilson 10 rounders. Both of the two newbies limp-wristed their first round despite my advising them to grip the firearm firmly. Guess they actually had feel a rounds recoil before understanding.. In both cases they each finished off the remaining 9 rounds without mishap. The dad is thinking of a 1911 with a .22 conversion as his first gun.

The limp-wristing has made me wonder about how I do a pistol report here. Would it be benneficial to readers popping in on later pages to see a detailed round count report?

Round count: 498

Or am I splitting hairs like an OCD girly-man? :o
I am a believer of limb wristing, but I know, many are not. If the gun does not malfunction with you, you should be fine. But the gun malfunction on the second round of the mag, not the first round, right? Becuase the first round of the mag would not have anything to do with limb wristing.

cyclopsshooter
December 5, 2011, 10:00 PM
sorry- you're right! it was the second round (the second round did not cycle after the firing of the first round)

limp wristing does happen.. the frame of a semi-auto is most reliable when gripped firmly.. if the the grip is loose the frame will torque back and short stroke the slide.

thanks for pointing that out

cyclopsshooter
December 10, 2011, 06:32 PM
50 rounds today

Round count: 548

para38super
December 11, 2011, 05:47 PM
Sounds like it is working just fine for you now, we need some updated pics now.

cyclopsshooter
January 5, 2012, 01:00 AM
Sat down to upload some holiday photos and thought I'd snap a couple quick shots. She has been with me constantly but really haven't done anything other than that.. no shots, no disassembly, no nothing, still only cleaned that once back around the 250 mark. Gettin the itch though ;)

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1415.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1413.jpg

War Eagle
January 5, 2012, 10:05 AM
Here is my old school XSE: http://gunzoo.com/vault/Mac/58

I'd love to have the 100-year roll mark!

cyclopsshooter
January 5, 2012, 04:25 PM
Nice! we're like twins- They are a nice heirloom piece.. I admit I have fantasized about handing this bad boy down to the next generation as "Dad's" gun. All marks are my own :)

cyclopsshooter
January 6, 2012, 11:48 PM
Shot 7 rounds of Federal +P this morning and two customers each shot 7 rounds of ball. (One of them also bought a blue 5" XSE :)

Round count: 569

ColColt
January 9, 2012, 08:29 PM
cyclops-You read about my two problems with the XSE commander and the SW1911SC. I'm still working on those. Are your followers for the Colt mags with the skirted front and dimple? The two Colt mags that came with mine are CM 8 round mags and flat follower with skirt but no dimple.

cyclopsshooter
January 11, 2012, 02:41 AM
ColColt, when you type CM do you mean Colt manufauring or Chip McCormick? The mags I had problems with were factory 8 round and have what I assume are the new skirted followers. I am convinced the problem was weak mag springs (but I have yet to order replacement springs) I have been rolling along with factory Colt 7 rounders with the traditional follower and have been using Wilson 8s and 10s as well- Have not had any problems and have not looked back :)

Did a clean tonight- its been 299 rounds since the last service.. Lubed her up with a bit of Rig lube. Here is a before and after:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1425.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1428.jpg

chieftain
January 11, 2012, 03:31 AM
I believe he means CheckMate who is one of the original equipment magazine suppliers that Colt uses.

I do have a question RE: your XSE Commander. In the early Commander days the name "Commander" meant a lightweight alloy/aluminum frame. They later came out with the "Combat Commander" name, and that had a steel frame, like the Government and Gold Cup.

Today the names seem all over the map. Is this a lightweight or steel frame? Thank you.

By the way, I got the 21st Century Commander or the Wiley Clapp version (they are the same), and really like it. I do like that it is a series 70 Action. I am not adverse to the series 80 model have about 6 of them. But prefer the 70 series and have about 14 of them. Also have 4 commanders, two light weight and of course two steel framed. One of the steel framed, a series 80, is a 9mm. The other steel commander is a 1991a1 Novak custom I got right. Two of my government models are 9mm too.

Sounds like you have a winner. Good luck.

Fred

cyclopsshooter
January 11, 2012, 03:48 AM
Fred, you are right about the Combat Commander being a steel frame. My XSE is steel and I just checked the hard case, it does indeed say Combat Commander. I default to calling any 4 1/4" 1911 a commander as do many folk. But thanks for bringing the clarification up for other readers.
The Wiley Clapp is a great pistol. I have sold a few of them through the shop. Hope you enjoy :)

JTQ
January 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
I believe in current Colt's production lingo, Commander means it is a steel frame, and the aluminum frame models are called Lightweight Commanders.

In days of yore, the default Commander name indicated aluminum, since when they came out originally all Commanders were aluminum framed, as you mentioned. They added the name Combat Commander (as you mentioned) when the steel frame was added to the line-up to differentiate it from the aluminum framed model.

At some point, the default became the steel model and became known simply as Commander. I don't think you can find the Combat Commander name in their current line-up, but they do offer Lightweight Commanders.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols.aspx

chieftain
January 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
At some point, the default became the steel model and became known simply as Commander. I don't think you can find the Combat Commander name in their current line-up, but they do offer Lightweight Commanders.

According to our cordial OP the shipping box his came in said, "Combat Commander" on it, but the gun doesn't. Go figure.

Of course that goes back to Colt naming stuff, with exception, rather strangely in the modern era. nominally since the 80's. Seems S&W suffers from the same malady.

When I used to carry a "J" frame it was a BodyGuard model 49, (The 49 actually came out after the 38, but I bought my 49 all steel first, then acquired a used, model 38, then a 649, and now a 638 which is still made. S&W no longer makes a Bodyguard that looks like a "BODYGUARD".

I guess I am just to old. Simply Amazing.

Fred

cyclopsshooter
February 7, 2012, 03:16 PM
Was thinking of selling my Combat Elite if the XSE Commander grouped better.. The Elite seems to have a slight edge... anyway- the XSE had 8 rounds down the pipe.

Round count: 577

cyclopsshooter
February 13, 2012, 03:19 AM
As you may remember, back when I bought the XSE Combat Commander I was excited about having a shorter 1911 for carry use (typically carried in a "man purse" as a large caliber backup to a pocket bound LCP) that last 3/4" of a full size always seemed to be in the way. The commander is a much handier size but I have become annoyed with the fact that it is still HEAVY.

A few weeks ago at the shop, we got in a used Kimber Pro Carry II. It was priced reasonably at $699 (with the hard case, three extra mags, and a leather holster) It was sitting there for about a week and a half when on a whim I took it out for a fondle and decided to run a mag. It shot VERY well but was noticeably snappier than my steel framed XSE.. to be expected. As I was walking out of the range I made up my mind that I was going to buy it and press it into service. (I aim to find the perfect carry (for me) 1911 even if I have to go all the way down to a trench cut New Agent) When I got back up to the counters I was greeted by a good customer who asked what I had in my hands, before I knew it he was thumbing the price tag and developing a glint in his eye. Shortly afterward we were up at the register filling out a 4473 :scrutiny:

Can't tell a customer that you're not gonna sell them a gun because you want it! But sure felt a lot like getting to second base with a gal only to say something stupid and ruin the evening... Predictably I turned to Gunbroker for some gun porn. As I was thumbing the pages I stumbled upon this darling. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272723405#PICReasonably priced and an aluminum version of my very own XSE. My Gunbroker gut reaction from experience was to bid NOW, everything seemed right.. I hate it when you're starting to look into a new gun and pass up a good deal so you can do more research, most times that same deal from the first search doesn't come around again... We're not saying goodbye to the Combat Commander however! The light-weight will be only taking over carry duties while the Combat will get the range time. Not that it has been shot much lately.. been on an AR and AK kick for a while :D

Will post pics.

cyclopsshooter
February 20, 2012, 07:00 AM
Cool video about Colt 1911 production
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psOgqSIHPEM

cyclopsshooter
February 24, 2012, 03:50 PM
Adding this to the lineup for this thread. The gentleman I bought it from said he bought it new in 2010, he carried it (has scratches that don't show in my photo). He also said it has only had 200 rounds down the pipe from when he qualified it as an off duty pistol.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0810.jpg

COMBAT COMMANDER
Round count: 577

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER (First 200 not shot by me)
Round count: 200
Mag related failures: 0
Shooter related failures: 0

cyclopsshooter
February 25, 2012, 05:41 PM
Got the Lightweight duded up with the carry setup from the Combat (combat is back to factory configuration. ) Ran some rounds today, she is a little snappier than the steel frame but shoots very well. Oh, added Trijicons too!

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0812.jpg
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0814.jpg

Round count: 242

dcarch
February 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
What's the clip on the right side?

cyclopsshooter
February 27, 2012, 12:07 AM
It is a belt clip with "Browne & Pharr Makers Atlanta GA" Stamped on the side. I pulled it off an old Colt that passed my way, I think this one might be older but there still is an outfit making them. A buddy of mine just ordered a few, I'll post more about them when they show up.

Shot 50 rounds this morning with my cousin. Rear sight came loose, otherwise perfect.

Round count: 292

para38super
February 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
So what magazines are you using with this new pistol?

cyclopsshooter
February 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
Same mags I used with the Combat, and after much delay I will be ordering mag springs for the factory 8 rd mags tomorrow... unless I forget to add them to the Brownells order... again... :o

cyclopsshooter
March 1, 2012, 08:22 PM
Customer test fire 8 rounds

Round count: 300

cyclopsshooter
March 2, 2012, 07:44 PM
50 more rounds back in the range, goofed around one handed and two handed- center man-

Round count: 350

pops91710
March 2, 2012, 11:37 PM
It's still the most beautiful semi-automatic handgun ever made.

cyclopsshooter
March 3, 2012, 04:02 PM
Yes they are :)

Shot 50 stinky rounds of Wolf- one bolt over base failure- guess this older factory 8 that came with the pistol needs a spring too..

Round count: 400
Mag related failures: 1

cyclopsshooter
March 3, 2012, 07:41 PM
Customer borrowed the pistol, 32rnds

Round count: 432

cyclopsshooter
March 5, 2012, 10:55 PM
20 rounds walking pop cans-

Round count: 452

para38super
March 6, 2012, 12:02 AM
Bad magazines are the biggest cause of 1911 malfunctions.

chieftain
March 6, 2012, 01:09 AM
Bad magazines are the biggest cause of 1911 malfunctions.

SHhhhhhhhh! Don't say that out loud.

Many Glock folks don't know that magazine failure is biggest cause of Glock malfunctions too. Now that there are off brand magazines available for Glocks there will be even more jams for them to look forward to. And even more problems for the Glock 36 too.

No matter what bottom feeder you use/carry, change your springs on schedule. I liken gun spring changes to changing the oil in your car. Better to often than not often enough. At least follow the Manufacturers recommendation. It IS NOT always in the owners manual, you usually have to call the manufacturer.

And believe me, cleaning and maintaining you weapon is not optional nor should it be occasional.

Go figure.

Fred

cyclopsshooter
March 7, 2012, 05:20 AM
Received an order of Wolf +5% springs and have them installed. Here is a photo of the difference. We will see how well they do-

Are these mags made by Checkmate? Col. Colt, I think these are the same as yours.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1497.jpg

cyclopsshooter
March 7, 2012, 04:43 PM
NO Failures yet with the new Wolf springs!

Swapped out the full length guide rod for a standard setup.

fired 23 rounds of random ammo, including one mag of critical defense and one mag of Magtec ball. both at 10 yards from my crappy little rest.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0816.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0817.jpg

Round count: 475

JTQ
March 7, 2012, 10:39 PM
Are these mags made by Checkmate?
Looks like the CheckMate "C" on the base plate, and CheckMate's patented follower (CMF), so I would say CheckMate.

I had been under the impression Wolff's springs wouldn't fit with the CMF. It must work OK since you are using it.

cyclopsshooter
March 7, 2012, 11:42 PM
The catch loop at the head of the Wolf spring IS different than the OEM spring. It does not seat into that little lip hook under the follower like the OEM spring does. But it does seat just forward of the lip. Close enough, in tandem with a firm spring and the Checkmate skirt I do not foresee any issue. So far the updated mags are working flawlessly.

Funny, I always thought that "C" on the floor plate meant Colt. Has it always been Checkmate?

Have always ASSumed that the "M" was Mecgar.. ??

Oh, the factory 8 that came with the lightweight has a shooting star follower with no catch lip or skirt... I don't trust it worth beans.. even if I did I'm not sure I'd want to use it in an aluminum frame.

chieftain
March 8, 2012, 08:23 AM
Have always ASSumed that the "M" was Mecgar.. ??

Good guess, but wrong.

Metalform.

Good luck, I am enjoying your diary.

Thank you.

Fred

para38super
March 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
Also the new springs should have changed the capacity to 7rds instead of 8rds as it did before. The spring does not seat properly so it wont hold 8rds. Atleast thats from my experience. The shooting star follower should be fine for the all steel commander, thats what my Colt came with. After replacing the springs they have worked great.

cyclopsshooter
March 8, 2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info Fred, I'm enjoying the thread too.

Customer borrowed the lightweight- 50 rounds

Round count: 525

cyclopsshooter
March 9, 2012, 02:12 AM
From the mouth of Colt today. The only MIM parts on their current 1911s are the sear, disconnector, and mag catch (including lock). Grip and thumb safeties are cast steel, even the ambi ones. This has been a public service announcement.

What brings this up is that I have changed out the sear and disconnector (wilso combat) and the mag catch (ed brown) (lock from EGW) on both the Rail Gun and the Combat Commander. It may very well have been a foolish waste of money, especially since one pistol has never been shot and the other is suffering a huge decrease in its lead diet. But the warm fuzzy I have now is priceless :D

My decision was largely based on past threads and sage words scribed by Fuff , Tuner, and others. Some may wonder why I didn't do it to the Lightweight and I'm included... :scrutiny:

I have seen MIM parts break, usually smaller parts.. But I also buy the argument that all MIM is not created equal. Part of me wants to run a high round count with the Colt MIM (and the aluminum receiver.. I'm damn curious how that will hold up over the long haul)

On the other side, a part of me thinks I'm crazy for trusting my life to something that's not the best. Glocks and M&Ps have the back of their officer every day and do it well-- but these modern guns are designed differently.. ( a modern engine will run great with a catalytic converter but the older engine designs choked on them when they first came out)

1911s are just different... They should be high grade steel. IMHO YMMV

Anyway, the lightweight stays MIM for the time being. I appreciate any comments.

Edit: Gave it a field strip wipe down and re-lube tonight. The Lightweight is feeling smoother now in slide and trigger than it did at the 200 round mark. The trigger had a reliable short creep but now only happens about one in five pulls. No plans to do anything about it in the near.. The the Rail Gun and especially the Combat Commander had crisp factory triggers. The new Wilson sears are also crisp.. up to about 97.5% of crisp.. The Rail gun had a slight improvement and I expect good things from it after some dry firing. Same with the Combat which now feels exactly as it did when it first came out of the box. FWIW Not all new Colts that come through my shop have these nicer triggers... Sometimes a perk of the job is a cherry pick :p It's about 50/50 for the Colts with some downright spongy and gross... Had one particularly bad Wiley Clapp and another Clapp that pulled like a Gold Cup.

On another note, the 5" barrel that I fitted (is "fitted" a word?) to the Combat does not work in the Lightweight. I can't get the slide lugs to engage. Don't know if its the lugs or the hood lip. The Lightweight is a few years older than the Combat and I have read that Colt bought some new tooling in the last few years.. Is my difficulty a result of the tooling change or are Lightweights cut differently? (I doubt it, in my experience Colt parts interchange very well)

cyclopsshooter
March 13, 2012, 12:29 AM
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1501.jpg

dcarch
March 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
Cute!

cyclopsshooter
March 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
Customer rented the Lightweight. 50 rounds in three of the mags with new springs. No problems.

Round count: 575

cyclopsshooter
March 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
Customer rented the Lightweight. 41 rounds No problems.

Round count: 616

chieftain
March 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
You do clean the weapon after every use, don't you?

PS If you are wondering where I am coming from, besides my two tours in Vietnam 3rdMarDiv, I was a DI in the early 70's too. Cleaning guns is my contribution to the survival cabal, and some folks think I am OCD about it. I could live with that.

Really do enjoy your diary.

Good luck.

Fred

cyclopsshooter
March 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
Fred, I understand completely where you are coming from. I too am an anal clean freak when it comes to *most* of my firearms. Anything that is more collection than shooter gets detailed cleaned (and I MEAN detail cleaned) for long term storage. I go way beyond the general field stripping, every single part is spotless and carefully given a light coating of Rig Grease.
My dozen or so regular shooters (rifles, shots, revolvers, semi-autos) get a regular field strip and cleaning if I do not expect to shoot them again soon. I have two glaring failures right now.. The Lightweight (replacing the Combat) and my M&P40c... These two, along with an LCP in my pocket round out 98% of my firearm carrying. All three are also used as demo guns at work. (An indoor range is a very useful sales tool :D ) The LCP is the one that is on me all the time. If my pants are on, I'm armed!! (If I'm packing the M&P or the Colt, it means I have two guns on me) Though I do loan out the LCP for sales trials (kinda wish I had thought to do a thread on that one!) The LCP gets cleaned regularly on account of pocket lint. The Colt and the M&P get shot A LOT (by my standards anyway :rolleyes: some of you guys on here... :eek: ) The M&P has been as reliable as a Glock and only gets cleaned when "I think" its dirty enough.. probably every 200 rounds but at times that number can be 500... I admit to being a dumb-a$$ with the M&P.
The Colts on the other hand... I was careful who I handed the Combat to because it was new.. It still looks really good... But I wanted to do out of the box reliability testing so I let the cleaning go a few hundred rounds. I had every intention to begin a regular cleaning cycle for it once it was proven reliable. It has passed with flying colors but it got eclipsed from carry duty by the lightweight. I have absolutely NO intention of parting with the Combat- It is a beautiful pistol with a proven record and I would stake my life on it. Right now the Combat is in limbo with a really good field strip cleaning. I have yet to determine whether it will get detail cleaned and put into long term storage or if I will keep it at hand for the occasional silencer duty... (I have a few friends and customers with cans and Id like to be able to use them on one of my own guns.) The 5" barrel mentioned earlier in the thread is set up for the Combat but does not work in the Lightweight... I have been debating for a while whether to try to fit the barrel to the Lightweight.. but part of me is screaming to not risk permanently messing the barrel up by tinkering any further... :uhoh:
Being that I really can't afford to blow more that 100 rounds at a time I think the lightweight is going to be used for most of my range time... It does kick more than a steel framed gun but its not so bad for the first few boxes. If I plan to shoot any more than that I'd probably shoot my older Combat Elite. The Elite is one of those poor-mans Gold Cups, but it was done by a competent smith. Nice shooter! Anyway, back to the Lightweight.. The Lightweight has been a flawless gun for my 300+ rounds, and for what its worth, the original owner said he ran a flawless 200... with my experience with the Combat and how that man handled business, I'm inclined to believe him. So soon I will pass judgement on the Lightweight... I may want this current run to go 500 rounds before I clean again and start doing it regularly. I have swapped out a few parts, the recoil system and the thumb safety... I would like to make sure everything finds home.

chieftain
March 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
I gave my youngest daughter a new, (80 series) Combat Elite on her 21st birthday a few years ago. It was her request. She stands 4'10" but prefers the full size government 45acp. I gave her a Springfield EMP for CCW/EMP purposes. She comes with me to either of my weekly club matches to shoot too.

As to not cleaning those guns. Understand I would be required under regulations to the "Sgt's Mutual Benevolent Society" rules of my era to vibrate and shout loud obscene things at you.

Good luck.

Fred

cyclopsshooter
March 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
"Sgt's Mutual Benevolent Society"

That needs to be on a laminated business card!

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I'm blind in one eye and 4F- I lost out on the military discipline and knowledge but I'm saved the grade-A a$$-whoopin from the D.I. :p

My uncle though, was a Navy Mustang. Started out a Seaman, retired a Lieutenant. He was a sub diver and in charge of the armory on an old diesel out of Subic Bay. After 21 years he was passed over a third time for being too much of a no-bull hard-ass. Damn good man though! But I know where you're coming from Sargent, and I respect it.

cyclopsshooter
March 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
Well, kinda... Thought I'd do a nasty torture test- Took the dirty pistol in the shower with me yesterday, loaded with gold dots... Soaked it, then later poured loose soil in the action... Let it sit overnight and ran it today. The seven Gold Dots went off without a hitch, then tried another mag of what I thought was some old L.E. Federal +P 230gr HPs. (Found out when I got to work that I had actually loaded a mix of Gold dots and Hydrashocks. The Gold Dots ran fine but the Hydrashocks nosed into the ramp and jammed. I then loaded a mag with the +P Federals I wanted to run in the first place. The first six went fine but the seventh caused a bolt over base failure (even with the new +5% springs) I cleaned the pistol then ran 7 more +Ps with a really firm grip and had no problems. The moral of the story is, if you are going to run +P ammo in a Lightweight 1911, you better have a damn firm grip. It's snappy with +P 230gr!

In 24hours, rust developed on the recoil spring coils that were "inside" the plug. And wood grips are probably not the best for moisture :rolleyes:

I'm playing around with the pistol now, trying to figure out how I want it set up for the long haul. Last night I ordered some Black rubber Colt grip panels that you'd find on a 1991A1. And I added a black flat Springfield ILS Mainspring Housing. (I want the whole grip to be as black as possible to blend it to my man purse.. will add photos of that carry setup when the grips arrive.

Round count: 644
Shooter related failures: 4*

*Federal Hydrashocks did not like my REALLY dirty Lightweight. :(

dcarch
March 20, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm too poor to do torture tests...

chieftain
March 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
The Gunny here is tapping his foot, and mumbling to himself.

"D*&% it" I warned them about not cleaning their weapons.

Good luck.

Fred

cyclopsshooter
March 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
yeah, not the best thing to do to a gun... but... at least it is clean now :)

cyclopsshooter
March 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
Gunny called this thread a diary and I think that is spot on. This thread has slightly evolved from my original goal of just tracking the Combat... Now there is the Lightweight and I have even mentioned my old Combat Elite... (Which is now part of Colt's XSE line.) A real family we have here! Oh, and the Rail Gun is an XSE too... So, I think at some point I'm going to ask a Mod to allow me to slightly edit the title and OP and gear this toward my experience with the Colt XSE line that I have access to.. I imagine it might make the thread be a bit more helpful to curious readers and future buyers.
The Combat Elite was purchased a couple of years ago, second, third-hand? Who knows what the real round count is... What I do know, is that the older Combat Elites started out life looking much more like a standard Government Model. From what I have read, they were popular with folk that didn't want to pop for the price of a Gold Cup, so they bought these with the intention of pimping them out over time. Mine seems to have been done all at once- The detail work, inside and out, is all of the same theme and craftsmanship. This doesn't jive with the piecemeal builds I see and hear of with older Elites. (Probably why I held on to this one when it came through the shop ;) )
This pistol was always on the back-burner with me, I'd shoot it, but until about six months ago I was a die-hard 5" G.I. guy. As of late, my interest in the Elite has grown, undoubtedly due to my positive experience with the XSE line. I do however want to make a few modifications to it. First off I ordered double diamond, checkered rosewood grips with Colt medallions last night :D Id also like to swap out the existing hybrid up-swept/duckbill grip safety for an up-swept Wilson Combat with memory bump.. and to ad a nice fiber-optic front sight. I won't be mentioning the Elite much, can't do a round count.. but I thought it'd be fun to talk a little and post some photos of what's coming up for her.. After all, she's part of the family :p

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1537.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1539.jpg

The crazy uncle top left of the photos is a 70 Series Government. I bought that in 1997 at a shop a few towns over for $365. It was my second handgun purchase and my one and only 1911 for most of college and my 20s. It in fact was the first 1911 that I disassembled into its 50+ parts. It also served as a template for the G.I. builds I started doing in grad school. It's worn, but it's honest wear and it carries it well.

chieftain
March 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
Good looking herd of Colts, you got there Pard.

Looking good.

Fred

para38super
March 21, 2012, 10:23 AM
Nice trio you have there. My favorite is the old series 70.

JTQ
March 21, 2012, 05:32 PM
What I do know, is that the older Combat Elites started out life looking much more like a standard Government Model. From what I have read, they were popular with folk that didn't want to pop for the price of a Gold Cup, so they bought these with the intention of pimping them out over time.
I have one of the earlier generation Combat Elite's. While they looked more "standard" than your's currently looks, I don't think they were for the Gold Cup buyer who was looking for something to upgrade. Mine came with fixed 3-dot sights, rubber wraparound grips, lowered and flared ejection port, and an abbreviated grip safety as found on the current blued (model #04691) Commander. I believe they were made for the "new" game of "combat action shooting" whereas the Gold Cup, with the adjustable rear sight has always been geared towards slow fire target shooting.

As the current, and only owner of my Combat Elite from the late '80's, my only "upgrade" has been to remove the rubber wraparound grips and replace them with Hogue ebony double diamond grip panels. I personally am a big fan of the standard Colt teardrop thumb safety, and the Colt grip safety used on this pistol.

cyclopsshooter
March 22, 2012, 01:10 AM
JTQ, would love for you to post a photo.

Well, I fitted the 5" barrel to the Lightweight last night.. Wasn't as much trouble as I thought, shot it today, worked great- Only to come to find that it would be best to buy a threaded barrel rather than thread this one.. sigh*

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8050760#post8050760

Makes sense though.. don't know why I didn't see it before.. A 1911 .45 barrel is too skinny to thread.

Round count: 671

If I have to order a barrel I think I will get it for the Combat Elite rather than the Commanders...

cyclopsshooter
March 25, 2012, 06:22 PM
Went shooting today with a friend and my cousin. My bud was trying out his first 1911, a new Rock Island, my cousin was shooting his only 1911 at the moment which is a nasty, ugly, parts gun I built for him as a joke/birthday present last year. My bud's Rock Island shot all 50 rounds without a hiccup. My cousin ran half a box through "Old Ugly" without issue... but I had 3 Feed Jams!

I was using Magtec ball in a proven Colt 7 round mag. All three times it was on the last round of the mag but this time it was feed jamming, NOT a bolt over base.. The first jam was kinda strange in that the round was cattywampus with the rim wedged in the slide nook near the ejector. (I will try to duplicate this and post a photo later) The other two were honest feed jams right at the moment the round transitions vertically to align with the chamber. I do not believe it is an extractor issue. This may have something to do with the torture testing earlier (may have missed some fouling, only swabbed the bore at last cleaning, no brush used.) I'm thinking about polishing the breech-face, chamber, and barrel ramp. I didn't need to do this with the Combat but the Combat and Rail Gun are more finely milled and finished than this older Lightweight.. who knows, still got some tinkering and thinking to do.. One of you guys might pipe in with a good thought too :) I'm going to call this a pistol failure- This is a defensive firearm and I want it to eat everything.

Round count: 725
Pistol failures: 3**

**Feed issue, cause not resolved.

chieftain
March 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
When was the last time that magazine spring was replaced vs how many rounds through that magazine/spring?

Good luck.

Fred

PS Clean and keep your guns clean, reduces one more variable when trouble shooting.

F

cyclopsshooter
March 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
Countless rounds outa that mag. I have had it since new three to five years. It has been my primary carry mag. I suppose the spring could be getting a little tired and the problem was amplified by being in a lightweight model... but the slide was still too stiff to just push the round in... I cleared the jams slowly to glean any info about their nature. I had to pull the slide back slightly before making forward motion to continue chambering. I still feel very strongly about the need to polish the chamber, barrel ramp, and breech face. And to do a thorough detail clean after. Then to start a new testing battery.

cyclopsshooter
March 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
Have the new grips for the Lightweight and the Elite. I carried the Lightweight on Saturday at an Ikea Super Outlet in a large city a few hours away. It was my first time carrying the Lightweight on a trip. I only used it with the belt clip on my waistband snug up against my suspenders. It was awesome! Hardly knew it was there but was comforted by it being there :)
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1541.jpg

Took the lightweight apart last night and did a detail clean, then polished the breech-face, extractor claw, barrel ramp, and chamber... then cleaned it again. Left it pretty dry aside from of light amount of RIG on the rails and locking lugs.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1551.jpg

Here is a photo of one of the jams I had yesterday.. never seen anything like it.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1553.jpg

cyclopsshooter
March 31, 2012, 03:59 PM
Ran three mags yesterday, No problems. Helped a buddy with a 1911 detail strip on his new RIA and the hammer hooks were cut unevenly!

Round count: 749

cyclopsshooter
April 6, 2012, 08:43 PM
2 mags downrange-

Round count: 765

Pilot
April 7, 2012, 10:22 AM
Interesting read. I am glad you seem to have it running reliably again.

You guys, and your torture tests. I could never do that to a firearm, especially a nice Colt 1911 like that. I couldn't even do it to one of my Makarovs.

Anyway, I am not criticizing. I am a firm believe in doing what you want with your possesions, and it was an interesting read. While the shower, and dirt part did make me cringe a little, it is a testament to these pistols that it worked at all.

I am curious as to Tuner's perspective on the jams.

cyclopsshooter
April 7, 2012, 02:46 PM
Torturing a Colt (or any higher end piece) like this is unusual for me too- Never would have considered it with the Combat (bought new) but the Lightweight was a pretty good deal and already had some goob scratches... The lightweight is going to be an all purpose pistol and I want to make sure it can take being rode hard and put away wet. That cattywampus feed jam is still throwing me for a loop.. it only did it once.. I wonder if it was caused by some kind of retarded limp wrist...

cyclopsshooter
April 7, 2012, 05:41 PM
Shot a very quick 50 (discharged the instant the front sight returned to paper) in a very dry pistol. Not one drop of lube in it. Ran perfect. Yup, missing my belt clip and the Pearce finger groves on the front strap.. Customer bought a 1911 and really liked my setup but was out of stock.. this is what being a nice guy gets you :P Hopefully my back orders will come in soon.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0834.jpg

Round count: 815

cyclopsshooter
April 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
Used in a ladies night training session 8 rounds.

Round count: 823

cyclopsshooter
April 16, 2012, 07:12 PM
Slung 50 rounds at a hillside with the Wilson 10 rounders-

Round count: 873

Bmac1949
April 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
To the OP. Nice thread! I've only read through your diary once and am not an experienced 1911 mechanic but can see the wealth of information that you have procided. My Combat Commander is completly torn down for cleaning and inspection for wear as I'm in the neighborhood of 5K rounds and the trigger had stuck in the cocked position before I tore it down. I still haven't found the cause for this because I haven't found any broken parts or parts with excessive wear. But anyway I'll be looking over your posts and probably doing a little upgrading on my Combat Commander. Great thread

cyclopsshooter
April 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
Glad you like it Bmac! Hoping lots of folks find this useful the more it goes on. I don't fully understand your question, "the trigger is stuck in a cocked position" Do you mean the hammer?

Went to a family reunion this last weekend and did a bit of shooting and Quad riding.. and inadvertently coating one of my ARs and the lightweight as I tried to claw out of a hidden mud pit (dry on top, foot and a half of soft clay under... pulled my boots right off!)

Anyway, shot 50 rounds of ball, then tested three gold dots for function after the mud mishap- no problems

Round count: 826

Here is a group of us on out way to pop caps-
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1580.jpg

My little cousin with her favorite, a cut and parked Winchester 06
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1568.jpg

Another cousin on an Ak
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1570.jpg

And him on the AR
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1578.jpg

1KPerDay
April 30, 2012, 03:09 PM
Eye protection... ;)

Looks like fun!

cyclopsshooter
April 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
"Eye protection" No kidding! I couldn't believe that I forgot to take any down with me.. ESPECIALLY after seeing an FAL slam fire an out of battery .308 a week ago.. then watch the doc pull fragments out of my buddies eye tissue.. (lost my right eye to a bungee cord of all things) I took a chance though, all the weapons I took were very proven and all used with factory ammo.. 90% of which was 22lr Still not the brightest thing to do..

cyclopsshooter
May 2, 2012, 06:29 PM
Replaced the mag spring in my older Colt 7rnd carry mag- sent 7 downrange.

Round count: 833

cyclopsshooter
May 8, 2012, 11:23 PM
Quads, mud, and painting are not the friendliest things to firearms. Pretty sure the laytex will peel off :D

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_1582.jpg

Took care of a friends dogs last week.. one took off and wouldn't come back until I fired a shot in the air. You can always count on a trained Lab to respond to a gun shot!

One Gold Dot

Round count: 834

1KPerDay
May 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
remind us what the asterisks are for please

cyclopsshooter
May 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
For the most part, user stupidity...

cyclopsshooter
May 11, 2012, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the asterisks are awkward... And it has been nearly 100 rounds since that magtech ball ammo. I had customer shooting out of the same batch with his well proven S&W 1911 and he choked on a few.. He was also due for a new recoil spring, as am I.. Maybe the slide return was light enough, and the magtec ammo was just enough outa spec for the two to lightly meet. I know.. I think too much and it does no good :P

Round count: 834
Ammo: 3
Shooter related failures: 4

cyclopsshooter
May 21, 2012, 02:37 AM
50 rounds of Blazer with the Wilson 10s, no problems and much cleaner burning that UMC or Magtech.

Round count: 884

cyclopsshooter
May 23, 2012, 01:53 AM
Did a 100% detail clean tonight. It is amazing how quickly and deeply crap can get. Actually scrubbed the slide and frame in the sink with soap and a toothbrush. Someone once told me to keep my guns clean.. maybe he was right.. simply amazing.

chieftain
May 23, 2012, 04:32 AM
Someone once told me to keep my guns clean.. maybe he was right.. simply amazing.

That was the 'Ghost of the DI past' that told you that.(With apologies to Charles Dickens).

Good trooper.

Simply amazing.

Fred

PS still enjoying the journey.

F

cyclopsshooter
May 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
116 rounds today- had to do the extra 16 :) Damn, she's dirty again... :p

Round count: 1000
Mag related failures: 4 *Tried an NOS Trip-K mag that was really tight with the rounds, had to help the slide on the first 3 (I think it will break in)

cyclopsshooter
July 7, 2012, 01:47 AM
Dumped a 4th of July mag. 7 rounds. The pistol is nearly always with me, nothing really of note other than my cousin knocking it off a workbench onto concrete (left some small impact divits on the rear of the mainspring housing at the bottom of the grip) And his boy spilled milk on it on a camping trip a few weeks ago.

Round count: 1007
Mag related failures: 4

cyclopsshooter
July 7, 2012, 06:18 PM
shooting competition with a co-worker today, we tried to see who would be the first to hit a quarter taped to a target... george won... 30 rounds

edit 8 more

Round count: 1045

cyclopsshooter
July 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
new ed brown 18lb recoil spring... finally! sent 55 downrange no problems

Round count: 1100

Certaindeaf
July 12, 2012, 07:59 PM
Dang, I haven't been following this but maybe get a new magazine or throw that thing in the river maybe. Oh nevermind.. I see now how you might be doing the math/this thread.

cyclopsshooter
July 12, 2012, 08:21 PM
yeah, the gun is perfect- the problems boil down to bad colt 8rnd mag springs, cheap ammo, and human error.. by accident or stupidity...

1911Tuner
July 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
the problems boil down to bad colt 8rnd mag springs,

Those are Shooting Star magazines with Colt's logo on'em. Colt hasn't produced magazines in-house in 'bout 50 years.

cyclopsshooter
July 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
Right! Sorry, I was schooled on that qualification a few pages back... didn't know it had been 50 years though!

cyclopsshooter
July 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
Actually it is 1100 rounds and practically no wear to the rails... in fact it has barely had an impact on the nickle finish..

Guess I'll have to do more shootin then... :p

Did a detail clean today to make sure there wasn't any milk still hiding inside.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0852.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0851.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0853.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/100_0854.jpg

cyclopsshooter
September 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
Wow... it has been a while since I have shot this... better rectify that :)

medic15al
September 9, 2012, 12:25 AM
How is the trigger compared to when you first shot it?

cyclopsshooter
September 9, 2012, 12:55 AM
It cleaned up- a slight relief cut on the sear helped quite a bit. In my experience most Colt 1911 triggers get noticeably better after their first 50 rounds.

Georgia45cal
September 9, 2012, 06:19 AM
How often are you suppose to change the recoil spring?

I was surprised to see you changed yours with less than 1,000 rounds.

cyclopsshooter
September 22, 2012, 01:53 AM
31 rounds downrange-

Round count: 1131

cyclopsshooter
November 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
Sent 1 downrange in a training session

Round count: 1132

cyclopsshooter
November 16, 2012, 04:06 PM
Added an after market rail called the Tick by TRG which is held by the slide stop. It works pretty well but I did not care for the cast slide stop they sent so I tweaked an extra Colt one i had.

Add one Streamlight TLR2 and we were off

sent 35 rounds downrange playing with the light and laser :)

Will post picks in a few days

Round count: 1167

cyclopsshooter
December 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Been a while since I ran a box through this and did so yesterday. 57 fun rounds- Did a detail strip with thorough cleaning.. all is well- Left off the belt clip and put the redwood stocks back on :)

Round count: 1224

cyclopsshooter
March 28, 2013, 03:52 PM
8 beautiful rounds

Round count: 1232

Jim PHL
March 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
cyclopsshooter;
I really appreciate this thread. Thanks for keeping up with it. I re-read the whole thing every time you put up an update.

cyclopsshooter
March 28, 2013, 06:22 PM
Glad you find it useful! Hopefully I will be doing some more shooting with it now that ammo supplies are loosening up. Need to do updated photos and a little write up on the Sig P938 9mm I just picked up...What a nice little backup carry to the lightweight!

cyclopsshooter
April 8, 2013, 06:45 PM
Snuck into the lane next to my bud and put 15 rounds in his target.

Round count: 1247

cyclopsshooter
April 26, 2013, 03:01 AM
Three mags, 21rnds

Round count: 1268

BigShep85
April 26, 2013, 10:38 AM
I have the Colt rail gun. Could not be happier with it

Fishbed77
April 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
Great thread!

I have a Colt Government-length XSE. It too has been superb so far. 100% reliability and no failures at all since I got it last October.

Colt is making some of the best 1911s in their history these days.

cyclopsshooter
May 7, 2013, 02:57 AM
Little cousin popped off 8 rounds.
Might be selling my Combat Elite... to help pay back the savings account.. for this:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_2532.jpg (http://s415.photobucket.com/user/wrc376/media/IMG_2532.jpg.html)

Round count: 1276

Fishbed77
May 7, 2013, 12:20 PM
OK. Now you need to tell us all about that M45. Any provide many, many more pics.

And another round-count report thread.

cyclopsshooter
May 7, 2013, 04:10 PM
I haven't even racked the slide yet.. she's still a virgin for now and im just enjoying the sniffing around..

cyclopsshooter
May 7, 2013, 07:46 PM
Tested out 3 10rnd mags

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1306

cyclopsshooter
May 9, 2013, 06:27 PM
Combat Elite sold. Got $1100 for it, not sure if it it was good, bad, or right on the mark.. we're both happy though. And I will still get to shoot it from time to time..

tarosean
May 9, 2013, 07:31 PM
I haven't even racked the slide yet..

Quite the restraint being showed. You weren't one of those kids who left his toys in the boxes only to reap the rewards 50yrs into the future where ya?

cyclopsshooter
May 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
If only I had known then what I know now.

cyclopsshooter
May 13, 2013, 07:50 PM
25 rounds

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1331

cyclopsshooter
June 4, 2013, 03:24 PM
12 round customer test fire.

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1343

0to60
June 4, 2013, 06:20 PM
I'm curious as to your shooting habits. I haven't read every post in this thread, so forgive me if this has already been answered. It looks like in most cases, you're shooting 20-30 rounds. Do you go to the range specifically for this? Are you bringing other guns to shoot? How often do you clean it?

cyclopsshooter
June 5, 2013, 06:53 PM
I manage a gun and pawn with an indoor range.

cyclopsshooter
June 17, 2013, 03:06 AM
Cousin "broke" into my car and "stole" the Lightweight and fired 3 rounds of Gold Dots before my other cousin stopped her and made her change to my backup mag of fmj ammo.

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1353

cyclopsshooter
June 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
Cleaned the pistol but ran 30 rounds before.

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1383

cyclopsshooter
July 11, 2013, 07:59 PM
12 round Customer test fire.

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1395

cyclopsshooter
July 18, 2013, 01:12 AM
107 rounds today to break in a new 7 rnd carry mag I want to play with. I have a soft spot for lanyard loops and came by this reproduction for the New Colt WWI pistols. It was gritty feeding the first round or two and actually caused a light feed jams requiring a thumb nudge. After the first few runs I stripped the mag, lightly stoned the feed lips, follower sides, and cleaned. That solved the grittiness and the feed problem but then I had a few bolt over base failures on the 7th round. Ordering some more wolf +5% springs and we'll see.

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1502

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp233/wrc376/IMG_2747.jpg (http://s415.photobucket.com/user/wrc376/media/IMG_2747.jpg.html)

Jim PHL
March 3, 2014, 12:04 AM
Cyclopsshooter;

I hope you haven't been letting that Commander rust up! I was looking at a Commander just like yours recently and remembered this thread. I've read the whole thing again and see you've had other posts as recently as a week ago.

I'm guessing you stopped keeping track? So take a guess!

lionken07
March 3, 2014, 12:23 AM
Not to go off topic too much but I have an opportunity to get the M45 for 1,100 brand new. A buddy of mine works for Colt and they can get it for that price. Should I jump on this? I already have my 1911 filled so not really sure if I should jump at this...

Fishbed77
March 3, 2014, 11:11 PM
Not to go off topic too much but I have an opportunity to get the M45 for 1,100 brand new. A buddy of mine works for Colt and they can get it for that price. Should I jump on this?

No. You should tell him to sell it to me for $1200 instead and he can pocket the extra $100.

cyclopsshooter
March 6, 2014, 12:47 PM
Cyclopsshooter;

I hope you haven't been letting that Commander rust up! I was looking at a Commander just like yours recently and remembered this thread. I've read the whole thing again and see you've had other posts as recently as a week ago.

I'm guessing you stopped keeping track? So take a guess!

Well, no rust, but not shooting it as much either... couple things have changed...When I was newer to guns I frequented THR more frequently but over the last year I have found my firearm focus keeping me at the 1911 forum and CMP forum. Then I threw a monkey wrench into the mix a couple months ago and bought a commercial Colt Rail Gun for target shooting. The XSE LW Commander has proven its reliability and has settled into carry duty.. probably won't be shot that much more. I still keep track and keep track of the Rail Gun too and have been debating whether to continue the thread with it, start a new thread, or not even report.. wasn't sure how much use this was to folks.

Updated count:

LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER
Round count: 1882

lionken07
March 7, 2014, 12:01 AM
Let us know how the M45 shoots. I'll be picking up mine next month :)

cyclopsshooter
March 7, 2014, 03:46 PM
I haven't even shot it yet and likely won't now that the Colt has to stop using the USMC rollmark. Looks like less than 2k of the USMC marked Custom Shop M45s will be produced.

lionken07
March 15, 2014, 01:56 PM
Aw...shoot it. I know I will be shooting mine next month when I get it. No reason not to. You know they put over 5,000 rounds over a course of two days without changing any parts in the Colt factory with the M45 right? This pistol can handle it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1911 XSE Commander- Round Count Updated from Time to Time" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!