Please check this 45ACP load for me

PDA

skyfire1
October 17, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to reloading and wanted to run this by you all to see if it is ok.

I have run these through my 1911 with no problems but I have not tried LRN before in 45 so I'm being cautious.

This is what I have tried with good results. 5.0 gr of Bullseye, 230gr Berry plated with both SPM and LP. Accurate, manageable and no pressure signs.

What I would like to try is 5.0gr of Bullseye and a 230gr MBC LRN and WLP.

Does that work out ok? I have heard that there is a difference when using lead vs. FMJ. What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please check this 45ACP load for me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
October 17, 2011, 03:24 PM
5.0 grains should work, although 4.7 might work better.

Lyman #49 says 4.0 Start - 5.0 MAX.

rc

bds
October 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
With any new bullet or powder, I always do a full work up from start to max load data as there are variations in pistols/reloading components.

I do not recommend trying a particular powder charge or starting at max charge.

Besides, doing a full work up will allow you to determine exactly what charge will start to reliably cycle the slide and produce good accuracy for identifying possible target/plinking loads.

skyfire1
October 17, 2011, 04:07 PM
Good point and point taken. I will rework from starting and see where I end up. I was just trying to be economical. I'll keep you posted with my tests. Thanks again all.

BTW; I do appreciate your insight.

Fishslayer
October 18, 2011, 02:09 AM
5gr of Bullseye is pretty much the standard milspec 230gr FMJ load.

Sounds a bit hot for cast boolits.

I get good results with 4.2gr of Bullseye & a 230gr Bear Creek LRN @ 1.25".

bds
October 18, 2011, 03:11 AM
What I would like to try is 5.0gr of Bullseye and a 230gr MBC LRN and WLP.
This is from 2004 Alliant Load Data (http://glarp.atk.com/2004/2004Catalogs/2004AlliantPowderSM.pdf). I hope this helps.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=151093&stc=1&d=1318918295

fourrobert13
October 19, 2011, 09:54 AM
I've used that load and although I didn't see and pressure signs or anything bad like that, I did find the load warm for plated bullets. It felt fine when shooting jacketed bullets of the same weight. I backed it down to 4.5gr and was much more pleased with the results.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please check this 45ACP load for me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!