Cheapest AR15 upper?

PDA

Gdbyrd
October 17, 2011, 04:11 PM
I've had a completed lower for almost 2 years. I keep saving up for an upper, and anytime I get to around 400 or so, I end up buying a different gun. They have a completed AR in my local gunshop for 650(I just saw it about a week ago, it's new, but I do not know the manufacturer!). I'm having trouble justifying spending 500ish on an upper when I could get a whole gun for 650. I've already got over 200 in the lower..

I own a nice AR already. I'm looking for a play gun that I can plink with.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'd go with any caliber upper. Pistols are fine too. I just want to use the damn thing already! I've considered selling it several times, but it'd be nice to have an AR for field use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest AR15 upper?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frankl03
October 17, 2011, 04:38 PM
Look at Palmetto State armory, they have some nice stuff! Complete Uppers with Cold hammer forged barrels for about $500. The barrels are made by FN. Spikes Tactical uses the same barrel in some of their uppers.

Also look at Aim Surplus they have a number of Spikes Tactical stuff including complete uppers. They were selling complete Spikes Tactical rifles for about $780. I do believe they (rifles) are out.

Can't go wrong with either PSA or Spikes!

Hope that helps!

Dr.Rob
October 17, 2011, 04:46 PM
Model One sales is selling complete kits for under 5 bills: http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=208

About $450 for a bare flat top/16 inch plain jane CAR with Complete BCG/Charging handle.

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=301

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
October 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
redxarms.com
$290 for an upper, add a hunski for a bolt, and another $50-60 for used sights.

ETA don't forget charging handle.

Gdbyrd
October 17, 2011, 07:33 PM
How difficult is it to assemble your own upper? Would there be any savings to be had doing it that way?

There are a lot of small parts in there to get, but I'm not sure where to start to add it all up or what skill would be involved there.

PandaBearBG
October 17, 2011, 07:45 PM
Del-Ton has cheap kits so do model1sales. assembling yourself? maybe $100 for a stripped upper receiver, $140 for a barrel, $30(basic) to $300(rail) for a handguard, $40 front sight post, $30 charging handle, $140 bolt carrier group, $20 to $50 flash hider, $20 ejection port door, etc. Not to mention the hassle of assembly and head spacing. It's cheaper and easier to just buy a kit.

HKGuns
October 17, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have a Del-Ton and am 100% satisfied.

Gdbyrd
October 17, 2011, 09:11 PM
Piecing together those things at model1 I'm looking at around 500ish. Midway has DPMS uppers for 359 : / I wish they had been in stock back then.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/519542/dpms-ar-15-flat-top-upper-assembly-556x45mm-nato-1-in-9-twist-16-bull-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-glacierguard-handguard

I assume you can add the dust cover, forward assist, and shell deflector at a later time?

cuervo
October 17, 2011, 09:31 PM
I assume you can add the dust cover, forward assist, and shell deflector at a later time?

No on the forward assist and shell deflector--those are integral to the receiver when it's made.

Not sure about the dust cover--probably not. The holes for the hinge would also have to be part of the receiver. Midway's picture is too small to see.

Here's a close up picture of everything:
http://www.03designgroup.com/photo/bcm-complete-ar15-upper-and-lower-receivers/bcm-lms-shows-wear.jpg

saddlerocker
October 17, 2011, 09:56 PM
Go with Palmetto State Armory, the prices are close to the lower tier guns, but quality is extremely good.

Tons of choices too

simonm2211
October 17, 2011, 10:43 PM
+1 for PSA. Very good quality at a budget price.

TexasPatriot.308
October 17, 2011, 10:49 PM
like anything else, if you go cheapest, you go for least quality. the way things are going now with all the unrest, get yourself a good quality, reliable firearm you may count your life on...dont scrimp when your life may count on it.

Gdbyrd
October 17, 2011, 11:35 PM
I'm looking for a cheap gun. Not something I will be putting my life on the line with. Unfortunately, I currently own enough firearms to support a small militia. If I was really worried about the unrest, I would most likely spend the majority of my gun funds on ammunition.

So my life won't be counting on this rifle. If I need an AR to count on, I will go for my colt. I don't see it being the first gun I would go for either.

Thank you all for the suggestions. All of the reviews I've read on these cheap uppers have been excellent. I'm still looking at piecing something together as a project if nothing else...even if it'd be more expensive it'd be a great learning experience. Even though I have that other AR I honestly don't know that much about them.

bejay
October 18, 2011, 08:46 AM
heres a couple about the cheapest complete uppers ive seen
http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestandard-2-1-1-2.aspx
http://www.jsesurplus.com/yhmyankeehill16carbineuppercompleteyhm-7100-1-1.aspx

Tirod
October 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
There's cheap, and then there's a maker buying parts in bulk 1,000's per order, and having very little cost in it. Labor takes way less than an hour, it's not rocket science.

Getting stripped uppers under $45, barrels for under $60, etc., some of the low prices are obviously still making a profit. The problem for the home assembler is they must dedicate a lot of time and effort to find sales at those prices when they pop up. $45 stripped uppers sell out in less than a few days.

The Build It Yourself subforum at arfcom has a bargain priced thread stickied, and you can pick up some nice stuff cheap. Check daily, check often, and be ready to order it on the spot. That means knowing parts and having an idea what is the purpose of the build well enough to understand a "complete" kit may still lack one part needed to finish.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest AR15 upper?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!