Resizing 380 auto

PDA

HOWARD J
October 18, 2011, 09:39 PM
Does anyone here have any problem resizing 380 auto cartridge cases?

When I resize W-W 380 case using Lee dies
The web on the case is about372-3--when I resize the case just above the web the case is sunk in to about 366.
These cases fire fine but this recess to 366 seems a lot to me--what do you think??

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4280/ww380case.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/ww380case.jpg/)

If you enjoyed reading about "Resizing 380 auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeeping
October 18, 2011, 09:43 PM
Do you have a problem resizing 380?

cfullgraf
October 18, 2011, 09:57 PM
No problems here.

My problem is finding all the brass I shoot.

medalguy
October 18, 2011, 11:27 PM
I use RCBS dies and I've never seen that. Do you see that with any other brand of brass? I use whatever brass I can find, hopefully most of my own.

HOWARD J
October 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
It may be the brass as I have resized starline & that recess is very slight,
CBC brass also.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
October 19, 2011, 09:24 AM
Two thoughts:

1. Your might need to set your die down a bit more.

2. Your die might have been manufactured on the tight end of the specification. All manufacturers have a range of specifications when machining a product to allow for tool wear/replacement. Your die might be one of the last dies manufactured with a tool.

I would call Lee, email them a picture of your resized cases and see what they say. I use the same Lee die set and don't have what you've got in your picture.

The Bushmaster
October 19, 2011, 09:28 AM
Insure that your die is correctly adjusted. And that the die touches the shell holder when the case is in the die. If so...Load'em, shoot'em and load'em again...

rcmodel
October 19, 2011, 11:49 AM
From the photo, it appears to me your sizing die isn't screwed down far enough.
To adjust, run the ram up, screw the die down until it just kisses the shell holder, and lock it down.

You will still have a short section of brass that will not get sized because of the shell holder thickness and slightly rolled edge of the sizing die carbide insert.

If your gun has an oversize chamber, it will be more noticeable then if it has a tighter chamber.

But as long as the sized brass will drop freely in & out of the chamber, there is no problem.

rc

HOWARD J
October 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
When I raise the ram--the shell holder pushes the die up about 1/16"---the die is in a lee turret--there is always a little play in the Lee turret press.
I will try other brands of cases---I have resized CBC, Starline & WIN cases.
They look better than this W-W group of cases.
Brass drops good.
Funny thing about cases---I have a SAVAGE 243
EDGE--when I use Winchester cases I get a good
bulge above the web. When I use Prvi-Partizan cases they come out of the gun looking like a new shell. Hornady has a slight bulge.

HOWARD J
November 1, 2011, 08:12 PM
I was having the same problem with Hornady resizing die---they are sending me a new die.
I picked up an RCBS resizing die & it works perfect on the 380 cases.
I don't get a bad die very often from anyone of the Co's--but it happens.

For what I paid for the Lee die -- it is not worth sending it back for a new one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Resizing 380 auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!