40 s&w

PDA

JO JO
October 19, 2011, 01:04 AM
stuck between two powders to start reloading 40 s&w with any opinions
between hs-6 or power pistol ?
use is for target/fun

If you enjoyed reading about "40 s&w" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
October 19, 2011, 01:16 AM
Power Pistol gets my vote. I like it because it meters very well.

chrt396
October 19, 2011, 01:25 AM
I know it's not one of your choices..but in my Glock Mod. 22, the AA#5 with 165g gives me excellent results in accuracy. Also meters well.

gamestalker
October 19, 2011, 01:56 AM
I like and use both the HS6 and Longshot with great results. But my sights are now set on working with a couple of the slower burning powders out there.

Judging by your initial powder considerations, I would feel it's safe to say your interested in loading rounds that are at, or near, the maximum potential for that cartridge. There is nothing wrong with that, every cartridge has it's safe maximum operating range for which it was designed to produce. But it's how you reach that maximum performance that matters, and for all practical purposes, slow burning powders do it with consistently predictable pressures, and the least amount of aprehension during load developement because of that.

bds
October 19, 2011, 02:35 AM
I actually prefer W231/HP-38 for 40S&W target loads using mid-high range load data. For full power loads, I use WSF and currently testing AutoComp.

fourrobert13
October 19, 2011, 09:51 AM
I use power pistol and have excellent results.

TonyT
October 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have used both Power Pistol and WSF. I prefer WSF with less muzzle flash.

Darkngrim
October 19, 2011, 10:49 AM
I use both, but prefer to save power pistol rounds for near dusk. HS-6 meters better for me, and makes for some very clean (near max) and very accurate firing ammo, similar to Accurate No. 7. Power pistol is plenty of fun when you're in the mood for flash and noise, but in a shaded/indoor area, that bright flash gets distracting and stouter loads just make it more of a flamethrower.

Get both, who doesn't like a flamethrower now and then? :evil:

Stormin.40
October 19, 2011, 11:47 AM
HS-6 works great in my Beretta PX4 Storm with either 180 gr. Lead FP or 165 gr. plated FP.

5thSFGroup
October 19, 2011, 04:15 PM
I have used the HS 6 and find it to be accurate and meters well. I use a mid range load for my Sig P226. I recently tried some Penn 165 gr cast bullets and found that my pistol likes the powder and the round a lot. The people at Penn suggested the HS 6 powder. I still load Missouri bullets as well.

I tried the 165 gr Penn because it is exactly the same weight as the Remmington self defense hollow point. The stats show this round to have the same impact and one shot results as a .357. I use a chronograph and am very happy with HS 6 and the .40 S&W round.

JO JO
October 21, 2011, 12:48 AM
I just loaded up some 9mm with power pistol and it does meter very well for me,
might try it in 40, maybe start at 6.3 for 165gr ?

ArchAngelCD
October 21, 2011, 04:34 AM
I would suggest either Longshot or AA#7. Both meter very well. HS-6 is a good powder but falls short in velocity compared to Longshot but HS-6 is great with lead bullets.
I know it's not one of your choices..but in my Glock Mod. 22, the AA#5 with 165g gives me excellent results in accuracy. Also meters well.
If you like AA#5 in the 40 S&W will will just love AA#7. It meters just was well as AA#5 and should considering they are both Ball Powders.

noylj
October 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
Either one could be "the one." Power Pistol has a really bright flash. I tend to prefer HS6 or Silhouette.
In my .40s, Silhouette is the most consistently accurate powder over a range of charge weights and is very accurate at near Max to Max loads.
AA5 is a very accurate powder for light to mid-range target loads in .40S&W, but don't try to load to Max.
You are wise to start with slower powders that are actually "designed" for .40, rather than trying to use excessively fast powders, which would be a good way to have a KaBoom.

If you enjoyed reading about "40 s&w" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!