Be on the lookout for stolen guns

PDA

CelticArmory
October 19, 2011, 12:19 AM
My neighbor got burglarized and had a bunch of firearms stolen. This is a list that he gave me to spread the word on. They were taken in the predawn hours on 10/17/2011 in Port Orchard, WA. They took his whole safe (cheap walmart kind), a couple more from his bedroom (missed the two in the living room), all his wife's jewelry and a computer. Ignored all the electronics. He's sure he knows who it was and that they had been to his place before. His very protective dog did nothing.

Taurus Mod. 2-850021 .38spl snub-nosed revolver, blued, SN. MI78392
Ruger Vaquero .44mag single action revolver, stainless, SN 55-60033
Remington 870 Express, 12ga, parkerized, SN W707318M
Winchester 94 Ranger, .44mag lever rifle, SN 28910
Traditions Buckhunter, .50 Muzzle loader, SN 00-48-32333
Ruger LCP, .380 acp, blued, SN 374-84491
Colt Trooper MkIII, .357mag revolver, blued, SN J85928
Ruger P94, 9mm pistol, brushed nickel, SN 30830038
Colt M1911, .45acp, Commercial Model CA1953 (No NS Provided)
Italian? 36 Navy double action revolver, black, SN x1315
Remington 1148, 12ga semi-auto shotgun (No NS Provided)
Norinco MAK-90, 7.62x39, (No NS Provided)
Stevens Model 44, .22lr, blued (No NS Provided)
Winchester 91 (cir. 1942), 30-30, blued, (No NS Provided)
Universal M1 Carbine, 30 Carbine, (No NS Provided)
Winchester 255, .22lr lever action rifle, (No NS Provided)
Unknown .22 single shot bolt action rifle

Not sure how many Washington folk are on here, but spread the word. These may be headed to a pawn shop anywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Be on the lookout for stolen guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nccavediver
October 19, 2011, 02:23 AM
May the thieves rot in shell.

OARNGESI
October 19, 2011, 02:57 AM
Of course now the thieves may know that he cant report certain guns stolen

Double Naught Spy
October 19, 2011, 08:58 AM
Not sure how many Washington folk are on here, but spread the word. These may be headed to a pawn shop anywhere.

Only if the thieves are idiots or have very good fake government identification required for pawning in Washington, which isn't likely. The burglar(s) isn't taking these guns to a pawn shop. If they do go to a pawn shop, they will be spotted by the cops who run the pawn tickets.

The notion that pawn shops is where all the stolen property goes is a very out of date cliche. Most of the time when stolen items end up in pawn shops, they end up there because the items were sold to somebody else first who did not know they were stolen and they ended up pawning just like they would pawn any of their other items.

Sadly, by putting out notice, if said notice makes it to pawn brokers, they will then not accept said guns into pawn and hence such a list is counterproductive to recovery. Knowingly accepting stolen property is illegal. Not only that, the pawn brokers risk losing the money they spent on the items as well as the items and so knowingly accepting stolen goods is a lose lose lose situation for them.

Psa1m144
October 19, 2011, 09:03 AM
Wow that is terrible, I live about 15min away from port orchard. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

steelerdude99
October 19, 2011, 10:07 AM
Was your safe bolted to the floor? A bolted down safe will not be impossible to remove, but it will take time.

chuck

Bubbles
October 19, 2011, 12:00 PM
The ATF maintains a list of all FFL's at http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html.

You will want to distribute the list of stolen guns to all Type 01, 02, 07, and 10's in the area. The dealer type is in the 4th column from the left.

CelticArmory
October 19, 2011, 12:52 PM
Was your safe bolted to the floor? A bolted down safe will not be impossible to remove, but it will take time.

chuck
It wasn't my safe, but my neighbor's. It was one of those cheap walmart thin steel ones. It wasn't bolted down because he was rearranging things in his house and was planning on bolting it but didn't get around to it.

Dnaltrop
October 19, 2011, 01:06 PM
Ugh... Suggest a dummy safe half filled with cement and silverware from goodwill, and placing his future safes behind a false wall, with the bait safe there to draw attention.

Used to zip tie shoplifters to the Balcony and wait for security to find them on their own, at least till my Sheriff buddies warned me quietly that I was risking a kidnapping charge doing so.

Anyone else for a return to the Pillory instead of 5 hours in jail and being released?

$250 bucks and a Smartphone also would be a wise investment for anyone here

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11613604 120 days of continuous recording, 4 cameras simultaneously, not in cycle. View anywhere you have a net connection.

wannabeagunsmith
October 19, 2011, 01:06 PM
I live in WA. Will keep a look-out.

Gunnerboy
October 19, 2011, 09:10 PM
well according to the mexican government your guns are probably down there now, but according to what i know about our state id venture to say that local gang wanna be children are carrying the handguns and for the longguns more than likely pawnshops or gunshows. ill keep an eye out.

KennyTHX
October 19, 2011, 10:12 PM
Well, I live in Washington, so I'll keep this in mind but I doubt I'll run into any of them.

I would check out things like the Penny Press or Thrifty Nickle.

Don't pawn shops automatically submit the serial number of firearms to the local authorities to compare to stolen weapons reports before they purchase them? I know that there's pawn shop officers that audit stuff in pawn shops once there's a claim, but I think there's an extra layer of "You'd have to be stupid" to try to sell them at a pawn shop.

CelticArmory
October 19, 2011, 11:04 PM
Well, I live in Washington, so I'll keep this in mind but I doubt I'll run into any of them.

I would check out things like the Penny Press or Thrifty Nickle.

Don't pawn shops automatically submit the serial number of firearms to the local authorities to compare to stolen weapons reports before they purchase them? I know that there's pawn shop officers that audit stuff in pawn shops once there's a claim, but I think there's an extra layer of "You'd have to be stupid" to try to sell them at a pawn shop.
Anytime we get stuff in for our auction I always run the numbers through a couple of sites. I've listed the SNs on one site and need to buy an account at the other site so I can list them there. I'm sure pawn shops will run the numbers too.

Powderman
October 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
Pawn shops in WA State are required to submit the serial numbers to LE for a stolen item check.

One place to keep an eye on is www.northwestfirearms.com

It is a forum where guns are bought and sold in the Pacific NW. The board--and most of the folks on it--are good people, and follow the law. There is always the chance, however, of someone moving guns on the QT.

Dnaltrop
October 20, 2011, 01:24 AM
+1 for the NW firearms site, don't go there often as I'm too dang chatty here as it is, but cover ALL your bases, someone might see one and give you a good breadcrumb to follow.

Well then, you appear to have already done so. Nevermind :D

CelticArmory
October 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Pawn shops in WA State are required to submit the serial numbers to LE for a stolen item check.

One place to keep an eye on is www.northwestfirearms.com

It is a forum where guns are bought and sold in the Pacific NW. The board--and most of the folks on it--are good people, and follow the law. There is always the chance, however, of someone moving guns on the QT.
I have the same post there as well as waguns.org and westernwashingtonfirearms.com. I was banned from seattleguns.net because of stupid BS from the first owner and they aren't reversing that so I've already asked people to post it there too. I've also listed them on Hotguns.com and I'm going to buy a membership at stolenweapon.com and list them there too.

click clack
October 20, 2011, 06:31 PM
Wow. Took some balls to break in that place...

Kiln
October 21, 2011, 03:45 AM
Wow. Took some balls to break in that place...
It'd take a pair to break into mine too. If I'm home when you break in you can bet on your body weight going up by a few grains.

Nutbustd
October 21, 2011, 07:01 PM
So sorry to hear that. Nothing beats a good LARGE commercial safe that weighs 3/4 to 1 ton!! You just don't pick them up and carry them away. I am sure if 3 or 4 men want it that much people will figure a way to steal it. Hope you get them back. Rotten sob's for stealing a man's firearms.

Owen Sparks
October 23, 2011, 11:46 PM
A visable safe is an open invitation to thieves. The safest safe is one nobody knows about. Bolt it to the floor in a cubby hole behind the refrigerator where no thief will see it.

Bubbles
October 23, 2011, 11:51 PM
A visable safe is an open invitation to thieves. The safest safe is one nobody knows about. Bolt it to the floor in a cubby hole behind the refrigerator where no thief will see it.
And just how the heck will the MG42 and 1919 fit back there?

Amb
October 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
With this (http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/sawzallreciprocating-saws/sawzall-blades/metal-cutting-sawzall-blades)

barnetmill
October 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
A visible safe is an open invitation to thieves. The safest safe is one nobody knows about. Bolt it to the floor in a cubby hole behind the refrigerator where no thief will see it.

The problem with such arrangements is that the guns are hard for you to access. I am thinking of using one hidden safe for storage and another for my day to day working guns and perhaps a visible light wt safe of say 200 pounds filled with sand bags and steel rebar for the thieves to cart off.

robinkevin
November 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Every now and then I see posts on Armslist asking people to be on the lookout since the first thing they will try to do is sell them. Personally I don't think Armslist is well known enough for it to be the first place for someone to try selling stolen guns, think they would try pawn shop but then again LE usually checks those...

Anyhow I may suggest that neighbor or yourself on his behalf post on there. There is a link in my siggy to the site.

slpcrf450x
November 5, 2011, 09:24 PM
we recently bought a safe that the weight broke the stairs getting it into the basement! :eek:
you are not going to carry that thing out without breaking it lose from the cement (bolted down) and then some how lifting that fat pig back up the stairs...:evil:

FIVETWOSEVEN
November 6, 2011, 07:33 PM

At first I thought it was guns you owned, then it hit me.:D

Tzvi
November 8, 2011, 02:46 AM
Stealing guns is unfortunately, one of the many things people steal to use in crimes. Here, a popular gun store was robbed. The perpetrator(s) took mainly small caliber handguns, and a few rifles. Security cameras weren't able to pick up images in the dim light. The guns haven't been taken off the streets yet. It is a shame.

HOWARD J
November 8, 2011, 06:37 AM
I have a monitored burglar alarm--they will have to work fast to get my safe out
before the cops get there.
lots of luck fellas.
The local gun shop was robber ( daytime) They got 90 guns--they set bldg. on fire with owner tied to chair---Local savages got life in prison but not one gun was recovered.

Lo8080
November 9, 2011, 12:45 AM
The local gun shop was robber ( daytime) They got 90 guns--they set bldg. on fire with owner tied to chair---Local savages got life in prison but not one gun was recovered.

Just speculating but i doubt robbery was the motive if they went to that extreme.

liferider
November 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
My brother-in-law who is a local Circut Judge was telling me about an article he read, more and more stolen articles are comming up for sale on Craig's List. It has become much more popular than Pawn shops for theives! Also on BIG money objects on Craig's list, thieves are looking at what's out there to get & where it's at.

CelticArmory
November 10, 2011, 07:31 PM
My neighbor's insurance company is going to replace his firearms, but no word yet if anyone has been arrested for it or if any firearms have been recovered.

robinkevin
November 11, 2011, 07:57 AM
Sadly many guns hold sentimental value that can not be replaced...

HOWARD J
November 11, 2011, 11:51 PM
@lo8080
Robbery was the motive--these were the local savages 16-17 years old.
They had no reason to kill owner except to stop him from identifying them.
In this county the kids carry & rob & kill as early as 11 years old---many of them never live to see 25 years

http://www.freep.com/article/20111113/NEWS01/111130533/Living-murder-agony-Detroit-s-neighborhoods-their-cry-help?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

loneviking
December 8, 2011, 04:28 AM
I was burglarized two weeks ago. The thieves made it into one safe that was a digital keypad with a key overide. Turns out these types of safes are easy to crack with a set of jiggler keys. The big combination safe like you see at Costco are often just as worthless. They have a common 'master' combination and these combos seem to be well known. The safe they didn't get into was a keyed safe with no combo and a type of lock jiggler keys don't work on. Choose your safes carefully and check out the safe cracking vids on Youtube.

danbowkley
December 18, 2011, 08:52 PM
I retrofit my cheesy Sentry safe from Mall-Wart with a Mosler group 1b safe lock I got on ebay. Mostly because I'm a wannabe locksmith, but it does provide a bit more security. The lock that came in the Sentry was on par with those cheesy Master combination locks, a la school lockers. Granted, the Sentry won't put up much of a fight if you bring a big enough crowbar, but it is bolted deep into the concrete floor in my garage.

Seriously considering rigging up a big honkin' can of pepper spray in the safe.

avardcurt
December 19, 2011, 02:53 AM
Unfortunately the first place those guns will go is the local drug dealer in exchange for (fill in the blank with any illicit drug). Then to other dealers/gang members on the street. They won't go to pawn shops as only on TV do they do that. It will be used in no less than 5 shooting crimes before it has a chance of being recovered. It has a better chance of being sold to an unassuming citizen in a FTF deal if it's a quality piece.

Armslist is growing and more FTF sales are taking place from there every day.

A good safe bolted to floor in a place not thought of by crooks. A good 24/7/366 security monitoring company (alarm) is manditory. Photograph your guns 360 with a good clear shot of the serial number and all accessories you have added. Keep a current up to date copy of your gun collection info ready in case of fire or burglary or other catastrophe. Bad people want your stuff and don't care what they damage to get to it.

Jeremiah10:23
December 22, 2011, 01:24 PM
I am newly CC licensed and I am looking for my first carry gun. Are there any websites a person can use to see if a used gun is stolen?

nebraska_farmer
December 25, 2011, 10:33 AM
OP, who does he think did it?

RangeDS
January 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry for your neighbor! That's painful in many ways.

My question...and I'm specifically curious about guns (though it can be used on any valuable) do you want the gun / item returned to you if recovered by the police?

There are hundreds of millions of dollars of products sitting in LE evidence rooms across the country. If you have DataDot DNA (yes I'm a distributor) on your valuables after said thief removed the serial number how will LE know who the item belongs to?

Check out this:
CSI Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmwrJQyfPPU&feature=related)
Video (http://youtu.be/badufZrGDeY) and Link (http://www.rangedevelopmentservices.com/asset-recovery-dna)

And as knowledge of this product continues to increase it becomes an increasingly effective DETERRANT. Subaru dealers in Australia began using it a few years ago and have realized a 67% decrease in theft since they started using it DATA DOT DNA on all their cars. You can put it on any thing (just not a moving part of an item).

CelticArmory
January 25, 2012, 12:09 PM
OP, who does he think did it?
He figures it was his step daughters boyfriend. They were living with him for a short time and he has a record for B&E and such. My neighbor had to kick them out because of their behavior (the "kids" are in their mid 20s) and so he figures it was them as they knew exactly what to take and where it was. But he has no proof so I doubt they're going to find his guns. I figured I'd list them on the stolen guns databases and spread the word in case someone who runs a pawn shop or gun shop locally might see them.

CooterShooter
January 28, 2012, 05:54 AM
This is just the sort of thing I hate to hear about. Honestly, what's this world coming to? :(

On a completely unrelated note I want to announce I've recently come into large stock of guns I have no use for and will be selling. I got a lot but to name a few:

Sellin'em cheap, folks! Get'em fast while they last!

lol, jk. I am sorry to hear about this, though.

CooterShooter
January 28, 2012, 05:58 AM
I am newly CC licensed and I am looking for my first carry gun. Are there any websites a person can use to see if a used gun is stolen?
http://tinyurl.com/stolen-gun-database is a good way to check, but I've never had to use them, and I think the gun has to have been reported to the website, although I'm not sure.

TyranoFelixRex
January 30, 2012, 11:54 AM
Don't give 'em rebar, they can make money on it metal scrapyards.

gym
February 1, 2012, 04:36 PM
FL has a stolen gun website, it's on my cell, but you can google it. Just run it through there and it's better than nothing

AaronE
February 2, 2012, 01:28 PM
Will keep a watch....my brother in Mt Vernon got hit TWICE...they came back to get what they missed the first time. A new safe bolted into a close closet limited the damage to not-all-of-them.

larryh1108
February 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.hotgunz.com/

Use this site to report a stolen gun or if you wish to buy a used gun. It is probably the best site to check. I do not understand why in this day and age we don't have a national registry for stolen guns. It's the computer age! Any used gun I've purchased FTF was checked here first. It may not be 100% but if enough people use it you can have a site to check before you buy.

When you buy a used gun that goes thru an FFL, do they check the serial# as part of the transfer?

Powderman
February 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
There is a national registry of stolen guns. It's called Triple-I (Interstate Identification Index) and accessing it is as simple as giving a call to your local police department. Usually, LE is very understanding about concerns like this, and will run the serial number for you.

Triple I is the database where ALL serial numbers of stolen firearms are entered. It is national in scope; once serial numbers are entered they are NEVER removed, unless the firearm is recovered.

Dealers and pawn brokers (at least in WA State) retain items for 30 days before selling them. This gives them a chance to check the serial numbers with local law enforcement.

Sadly, most stolen guns will NEVER see a legitimate purchase again. They are far too valuable on the street and the only way we can run them is if they're recovered after a crime has been committed, or they come under examination for any other reason.

Best things to do:

A. Record ALL of your serial numbers. Make copies, and keep them in a safe place.

B. Make sure that your insurance company will replace the guns at REPLACEMENT value, not DEPRECIATED value. Check your policy, too--most companies will only cover firearms for a certain dollar amount. Taking pictures of the guns can be a plus.

C. If you are the victim of a firearms theft, make darned sure that you file a police report. You MUST have the serial number; otherwise even if your gun is recovered, it will not be released to you.

cyclopsshooter
February 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Only if the thieves are idiots or have very good fake government identification required for pawning in Washington, which isn't likely. The burglar(s) isn't taking these guns to a pawn shop. If they do go to a pawn shop, they will be spotted by the cops who run the pawn tickets.

The notion that pawn shops is where all the stolen property goes is a very out of date cliche. Most of the time when stolen items end up in pawn shops, they end up there because the items were sold to somebody else first who did not know they were stolen and they ended up pawning just like they would pawn any of their other items.

Sadly, by putting out notice, if said notice makes it to pawn brokers, they will then not accept said guns into pawn and hence such a list is counterproductive to recovery. Knowingly accepting stolen property is illegal. Not only that, the pawn brokers risk losing the money they spent on the items as well as the items and so knowingly accepting stolen goods is a lose lose lose situation for them.]

Well said and very true! That cliche gets VERY old if you work at a pawnshop...

Gtimothy
February 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
I would love to be able to bolt my safe to the floor but I am a renter. I don't think my land lord would understand me boring holes into the slab through his carpet to accomplish it. I have very limited options for locating it as well. Anyone have suggestions on making it less of a target? Anything done would have to be easily and cheaply repairable. BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move. I also have a monitored alarm system so any thieves would have to be quick!

Radarcarve
February 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
What would I rejoice at taking? A gun safe! In my travels, I have removed some sizeable things. But the best is gun safes. It is a red flag to alert anyone... here is the value. I have many valuable items that I despair at losing... what do I do? 1) I stash in an odd place, like behind the refridgerator. 2) for a valuable piece, that I would grieve over after a fire, I take to a friend or family, if I am to be away. A gun safe? Stupid!

CZguy
February 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move

Actually with a good appliance dolly and two people it's pretty easy to move a gun safe.

TenRingGuns.com
February 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
Wow, that sucks.

Hope he has serials and photos of each.

Patriot1/3
March 1, 2012, 10:27 PM
"Cheap Wal-Mart kind"!!!!
Mine is bolted to the floor. Can't believe people do this,I fully understand funds are tight for all of us but. In order to try to defeat the enemy-criminals. You have to spend money in order to keep your tools safe.

gatorjames85
March 3, 2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move

Actually with a good appliance dolly and two people it's pretty easy to move a gun safe.

I'm 5'6" and 140lbs and my wife is 5'5" and svelte. We moved our 800 lb gun safe into our house (with an appliance dolly). Someone with above average strength could probably move a 600 lb safe on their own (with an appliance dolly).

CZguy
March 3, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm 5'6" and 140lbs and my wife is 5'5" and svelte. We moved our 800 lb gun safe into our house (with an appliance dolly). Someone with above average strength could probably move a 600 lb safe on their own (with an appliance dolly).

I can move mine (600 lbs) by myself, but I would do a bunch of damage to the house.

I guess that most burglars aren't too worried about that though.

Bottom line it's a really good idea to bolt your safe down. Anything that will slow a thief down is in your favor.

Patriot1/3
March 4, 2012, 03:35 PM
Here's another thought,set traps for the un-friendlies. :)

gatorjames85
March 4, 2012, 10:21 PM
set traps for the un-friendlies

This can get you in hot water, even in a Castle Doctrine state like Florida. I would advise against setting traps. You could be convicted of murder, false imprisonment etc. (depending on the nature of the trap). It is easier to replace guns than to defend against criminal charges or a lawsuit.

XxBulletBendeRXx
March 6, 2012, 03:23 PM
The Dummy safe. Imo, is the Best idea for protecting your valuables .. throw in a cheap nagant revolver or maybe a highpoint pistol, a mosin rifle and your set for thieves of all shapes, sizes, including the ones Bearing badges. The real valuables firearms and other stuff keep in a SECURE secret location...

CZguy
March 6, 2012, 04:01 PM
The real valuables firearms and other stuff keep in a SECURE secret location...

Only know to the wearer of a super secrete spy ring. :D

Actually I don't see why that wouldn't work. I carry a dummy wallet when I go to a big city.

Ghost809
March 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
hello people, iam new here and i would like to ask a question about the gas pressure load of a 12 gauge shotgun shell, if someone can lead me to where i can ask or if he know the answer i will appreciate that, and i hope i didnt bother you :)

Paris
March 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hey ghost, where do I get my free ipod?

webfox
March 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
I sell guns and safes. Bolt the safe to the floor and put it on the left hand wall so there is no leverage. Don't show your friends where your safe is, and don't let employees or workmen into your house unattended.

EMNofSeattle
March 23, 2012, 01:56 AM
I live just outside PO, i'll keep a look out at all the used gun haunts and provide the list to the local gunshops in case he takes them there to sell if you want

The police have been notified of the theft right? they have model and serials? that way if the guy is arrested with one of uses one in a crime then they can find the true owner

EMNofSeattle
March 23, 2012, 01:58 AM
in my state that would be a criminal conviction easy. and we're actually pretty friendly self-defense state

Gtimothy
March 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
I would love to be able to bolt my safe to the floor but I am a renter. I don't think my land lord would understand me boring holes into the slab through his carpet to accomplish it. I have very limited options for locating it as well. Anyone have suggestions on making it less of a target? Anything done would have to be easily and cheaply repairable. BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move. I also have a monitored alarm system so any thieves would have to be quick!
I've read the posts that say 600 lbs is not insurmountable for determined thieves and I agree. What nobody has addressed is the fact that as a renter, and I'm sure there are more and more of us out there, what options do I have for securing a safe so that someone can't just cart it off? Anyone????

Powderman
March 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
No, 600 lb. is not an impossible problem, but it IS a deterrent to 99% of the thieves out there. A thief wants an easy mark, and a safe is NOT it. And I mean a real safe, with bolts throughout or sturdy construction.

Place your safes with care...the garage is NOT a good place for one. Why provide someone with a nice wide door to wheel the thing out of?

What a 600 lb. safe will to, is that it will slow the thief down. They don't want to spend all day in your home--more chance of getting caught. They want to be in and out quickly. Busting a safe makes noise, and it's a strange noise--one that will make the neighbors stick their heads out of the windows. Not good.

One final note--an excellent companion to your safe is a good alarm system and monitoring system. I use ADT, and I have a story...

Me, my wife and dog decided to drive to Montana once. We like the St. Regis area--it's just gorgeous! But, I digress...

At about 1:00 AM, my cell phone rings. It was the alarm company--and they wanted to know if I was at my house. I said no--I was in Montana. They said that a motion detector had been tripped, and that they were dispatching police.

I found out later that it had been a plant that had moved due to temperature change--when that leaf moved, it triggered the motion detector.

Get a good alarm system, record your serial numbers, and use a REAL safe.

Gtimothy
March 25, 2012, 02:46 PM
One final note--an excellent companion to your safe is a good alarm system and monitoring system.
Get a good alarm system, record your serial numbers, and use a REAL safe.

I have my alarm system through Guardian. All of my windows and doors are monitored and I know for a fact that they work! :o I accidentally set the alarm off and the company was calling me before I could enter the code into the panel...less than 15 seconds! I was impressed to say the least! I also set my alarm to "STAY" so if someone opens the door or window, the alarm goes off immediately, no delay! I can arm/disarm with my phone or the key fob.

Highgate
March 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
In the UK I must have a gun cabinet, bolted to a stone/brick/cement wall and floor. Luckily 99% of UK houses are brick built.

No cabinet, no licence!

Once the guns are bought they must be in the cabinet at ALL times, if not in use, or being cleaned etc.

If I receive a spot check from the police and any of the guns is under my bed or in the living room ... bye-bye licence and guns.

If I tell ANYONE where the keys for the cabinet are .. including my wife! ... then bye-bye licence and guns.

This also includes telling the police in casual conversation : yes, bye-bye licence and guns.

Guns in the UK are for outside field sports NOT for home defence.

CZguy
March 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
Highgate,

Thanks for posting that. We in the US need to be aware of how easily our rights can be lost, or it will happen to us too.

fallout mike
March 31, 2012, 01:33 AM
Good alarm systems DO NOT go off from a plant moving. DATED motion detectors do this. You don't want plants and balloons and such creating false alarms.

fallout mike
March 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
All my dads guns were stolen once too. They never turned up. We had a mac daddy alarm system in his house but they forgot to turn it on when they left. That's been a few years. Now you just pull your security system up on your smart phone of choice and remotely arm it. That would have came in handy then bc they remembered it wasn't on but were out of town.

mesinge2
April 6, 2012, 09:47 PM
Please everyone BOLO for a G26 with SN#KCH218. Stolen from vehicle in Spring Hill, FL.

Between Tampa and Brooksville (Central FL)

dubya450
April 25, 2012, 02:25 AM
What a shame... there isn't much that burns my butt as much as someone stealing another mans hard earned possessions.

lionking
April 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
Some are saying they won't show up at a pawn shop but that is where a lot of my stuff went when I got burglarized in 2009. While the shops and cops have a system for checking items it isn't a full proof system.

Distraught mainly over my stolen guitars, I went looking at various pawn shops and a month later I spotted one of my stratocasters in a shop and it broke open the case. The guy used his license to pawn them being the moron he is and after that the cops were able to see what other shops he pawned at which led to me recovering 3 of the 6 rifles plus other stuff.

It was I taking the initiative that made this happen otherwise the cops would have probably never tracked the down despite the system.

The rifles that were stolen were mainly "cheaper" rifles like Mosin and Carcano and a Savage 110 that I kept in a closet not in a safe. But I have a safe, and even though they tried they couldn't get in which saved my azz for other stuff. I think that they taking time to carry out those easy pickings made them give less time trying to crack the safe or search deeper in the house which at the time I had one of my more favorite guitars under the bed which they didn't get lol.

This was not random, someone knew I had these things and I suspect it was either workers remodeling my house or a ex-girlfriend that ended badly that passed the word but the guy caught never would give up who else as involved or how.

Not many houses have it where you can "hide" a safe but like mine, at least putting them in a discrete location is advisable although when someone goes through your house they will probably find it but being out of sight from the main doors at least is a good thing to do.

Also, back then I didn't have a monitored alarm, but now I do and a couple false alarms have shown me it works and time is limited for anyone breaking in. Well worth getting. The story mentioned that a dog did nothing to stop those burglars which sounds like the dog knew those people.

BTW, in the state of Florida you have to buy back your own stolen goods from the pawn shop for the price the pawn shop paid out which is a insult but the cops say it is so the pawn shops will buy the stuff which gives a better chance at discovering stolen goods.

houlainol
May 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Very few stolen guns ever show up. My guess is all the guns were traded to local drug dealers within a few hours of the burglary. If you guys knew the street value for stolen items you would be shocked. Example: $500+ tv's are worth about one roxy (oxycodone) on the street.

A "fordy" is worth two pills. BTW the street value SIG, Colt, Glock is the same as a Lorcin, Hipoint, or jennings.

DcHoll
May 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
Hello CelticAmory,
The Local News stated Yesterday I believe, stated they broke up a
major burglary ring and the Police recovered alot of guns. You may want to check there
and see if they have the guns you listed. Hope this helps,,,,Doc

Mr.
June 9, 2012, 06:45 PM
crazy, I am from Bremerton myself. whole area is going to hell

PT92
July 4, 2012, 03:29 PM
http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/Stolen_Guns_on_the_Street_161240825.html?ref=825

soonerfan85
July 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
I have about 400lbs of iron weights in the bottom of my safe that were strangly enough just sitting around unused. If anyone can move my safe with all the ammo and added weights and get it our my front door without killing themselves then I ain't gonna stand in their way. Guns can be replaced. A hernia lasts a lifetime.

BTW, was visiting with a deputy sheriff at recent drug task force gun auction and he told me most of the guns at the auction had been siezed from drug dealers that'd received them as payment for drugs. Said they busted one lady and siezed more than 20 top end Browning and Benelli shotguns. Busted her again 6 moths later and siezed more top end firearms. Either the druggies around here have cash to burn on high end firearms or no one reported these guns as stolen. :confused:

CZguy
July 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
I have about 400lbs of iron weights in the bottom of my safe that were strangly enough just sitting around unused. If anyone can move my safe with all the ammo and added weights and get it our my front door without killing themselves then I ain't gonna stand in their way. Guns can be replaced. A hernia lasts a lifetime.

Just a thought, but with a good moving dolly that extra 400 pounds wouldn't be impossible to manage. Bolting them down is a good method.

gym
July 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
I have seen guys move thousand pounders with the right equiptment, rollers and dollys, he's right about securing it to the floor

mesinge2
July 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
I have seen guys move thousand pounders with the right equiptment, rollers and dollys, he's right about securing it to the floor
Not from the second floor with two German Shepherds and a St. Bernard chewing on them. :D

PT92
July 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
Not from the second floor with two German Shepherds and a St. Bernard chewing on them. :D

Definitely additional defensive measures are great and make life much more difficult for the invader/burglar. But honestly, the dogs (as much as I love them and it pains me to say) can be taken out quickly leaving the next layer (multiple floors) to conqueror. If they want it bad enough, they will scout out a methodical plan along the lines of a bank heist (my Dad was a cop and told me some stories about safes of all sorts not just pertaining to weapons). My experience has been that the only real way to 'best' avoid a robbery is by someone being constantly present (includes an observant/reliable neighbor and a wireless alarm system). A house devoid of a human presence will always be potential prey...

-Cheers

Yelovitz_503
July 31, 2012, 03:34 PM
I'm just across the river down in OR, but a whole lot of crime makes its way up and down I-5. I'll check some pawn shops with a printout of the list but don't hold your breath.

There's plenty of places these could end up where nobody would care if they're stolen (gangs, other criminal groups). This is a good cautionary tale reminding everyone to keep an up-to-date list of their guns, specs, and serial #s. I may go update mine while I'm printing this list.

jp3
August 2, 2012, 05:59 PM
I'd call Eric Holder

foghornl
August 2, 2012, 06:14 PM
A crew COULD get my safe out, but it will take a while...It is bolted to 2 walls, as well as floor and expoxied in place.

then, they still gotta get it up the basement steps, with a very narrow landing and a 90* turn on that landing.

CZguy
August 3, 2012, 12:29 AM
Foghorn,

Could you describe the epoxying in place. I'm not familiar with that.

JM Browning
August 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
I would gladly pay a small fee on my next firearms purchase if it will fund a stolen gun national data base. Info only given by law enforcement when filling out their crime report.

I guess I need to bolt down my safe. One bolt should do if bolted to a concrete foundation. I'm kinda lazy.

CZguy
August 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
I guess I need to bolt down my safe. One bolt should do if bolted to a concrete foundation. I'm kinda lazy.

That's OK.......the next time you have guns in the safe I'll bet you will have it bolted to everything in sight. ;)

PT92
August 17, 2012, 11:51 PM
The bolting down seems to be mandatory but I know some people who don't own the property or live under other circumstances that will not allow for such. One thing that can be done (again no substitute for securing unit to earth) is to pack the safe with K's rounds of ammo as it will make it almost impossible to move absent serious labor (which albeit can be done but nevertheless makes it exponentially more difficult).

foghornl
August 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
CZGuy:

Been off the forum for a few days. When I was ready to place the safe, I set it in place, marked the holes for bolsts, moved safe (empty, of course), drilled holes.

Had a gallon of 2-part "Concrete Repair Expoxy". Mixed it up, applied to floor and the walls in the corner where safe was being placed, as well as the bolt holes got filled with expoxy. Moved safe into place, added bolts, and let it dry.

The safe COULD be taken out, but not without taking a chunk of floor and walls with it.

CZguy
August 19, 2012, 10:45 PM
foghorn,

That is a really good idea, thanks for sharing it. I know that any safe can be stolen, but I want to make it as difficult as possible.

General Zod
September 27, 2012, 03:23 PM
Sadly, there is another list of stolen guns to look out for in the Austin/San Antonio, TX area. My father's home was burglarized this past Sunday. To make things worse, we have no serial numbers - there is a list, but it can't be found.

Here's what was lost, from memory, including identifying marks.

Remington sporter 12 ga. pump-action shotgun with dark wood stock/grip. No real identifying marks.

Winchester model 1892 .30-30 with a modern hunting scope on an aftermarket custom mount. I can't remember the model or manufacturer of scope. Bushnell or Tasco probably. Custom scope mount is attached with screws to the left side of the receiver.

Mossberg .410 pump-action shotgun with wood stocks/grip. No real identifying marks on this one.

Winchester model 74 .22 cal semi-auto rifle with dark red walnut stock- some slight custom shaping has been done on the stock.

M-1 Carbine, .30 cal, WWII vintage with "GENERAL MOTORS" manufacturer's stamp on the barrel, with 10 round and 30 round magazines.

"Snake Charmer" .410 single shot pistol-grip shotgun with a broken trigger guard. This is the original Snake Charmer, not the current re-issued model. Natural metal finish with black plastic pistol grip/short stock.

Antique (100+ year old) Mossberg 12 ga. single shot shotgun - well kept, but obviously ancient. Has not been fired in at least 40 years.

PISTOLS - - - - -

Llama model III-A.380 ACP semi-auto pistol with holster and spare magazine. Small spot of rust on the right side of the trigger - haven't had the opportunity to have that sanded and refinished. Missed a fingerprint once while I was cleaning it for him.

Colt .38 Special, 3" barrel with holster. Third generation Detective Special, short barrel, shrouded ejector pin, wood grips with Colt badges. Front post sight has a spot of white liquid paper on it for visibility.

Charter Arms Explorer II .22 Automatic pistol with scope and two magazines. Blued, not stainless. Rear sight on pistol is damaged.

Two matched Tanfoglio .25 ACP automatic pocket pistols with spare magazines, one with a storage case.

Hi Standard Sentinel R-101 9-round .22LR revolver w/3" barrel. Made in 1958. Also has a spot of liquid paper on the front sight.

Replica Colt Navy model 1849 cap-and-ball revolver with unfinished wood grips. Kit gun.

Replica percussion cap musket with light honey-colored wood stock and a pair of matching percussion cap dueling pistols with honey-colored wood grips. Early 19th century style.

I'm hoping if one of these is spotted in a pawn shop (it'll be a couple of weeks before any that are pawned might be made available in the shops) there will be one or two others with it to make a positive ID more likely. At least that's the hope...

Also missing are a Framus classical guitar from the early '50s and a Harmony H-92 archtop electric hollow body guitar with "starburst" finish from the late '50s, for what it's worth.

Yes, they stole his guns and they stole his guitars. There's a country song in there...but we'd rather just have dad's property back.

LuvMyGuns
October 9, 2012, 06:15 AM
Does the home owners insurance cover the stolen guns? Mine are all registered with the manufacturer. This would be my first go to - my second I would pick up a mossberg 18inch barrel and try street shopping for my guns back but i aint payng with money i'm paying with buckshot effem they pulled a gun on me

Elmer
November 5, 2012, 03:26 AM
I have several of the same guns.

Without serial numbers, there's not much you can do.

Word to the wise. Write them down.

An by the way, I'd love to see the carbine with "General Motors" stamped on it.....

alsaqr
November 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
Without serial numbers, there's not much you can do.

Word to the wise. Write them down.

Bingo:

Mine are in an Excel database with backups and printouts.

CWL
November 6, 2012, 05:48 PM
Write down your serial numbers and email them to yourself. Even better if you include pictures of everything.

This way, you will always be able to pull them up, even if you are away from home, or if your house burned-down, etc. as long as you have internet access.

rugerron67
November 7, 2012, 07:51 AM
http://www.hotgunz.com/ :uhoh:

Elmer
November 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.hotgunz.com/ :uhoh:
Be aware that's just user submitted serial numbers and won't include the millions of guns in the government's database.

odorf
November 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
I was talking to a buddy policeman. he told me the best thing you can do is to take the butt plate off and dab a little minwax polyurethane on the wood
then stick your thumb print in it. let dry. record your serial numbers
they can grind out the serial numbers. but he said 9 out of 10 will not pull the plate . then when the gun is picked up. the proof is there
he also said that unless a body is attached to a bugulary crime scene.
they only take a report.
they do not have the money for anything else

oldcelt
November 29, 2012, 03:22 PM
Guns are prime targets. About Nov. 23 regional news out of Hartford Ct. Bridgeport truck driver steals 111 handguns from Smith& Wesson factory. He and his friend sold some, the police recovered 28. Heard no more since. I guess these guys were not too bright.

RangeDS
November 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
odorf, you need to look into DataDots. It is amazing technology. I have it on my XD, my Mtn bike, dirt bike, and many other items that I own. They are a microscopic dots that adhere to a product. That is the best way to get your stolen goods returned to you once recovered by the police. 100% conviction rate for thieves caught with products that have the Dots on them. Each Dot uniquely identifies the item to its rightful owner. It's about to go like wildfire in the U.S. auto industry and Lowes HI will have it in some of their FL stores soon.

Kyle1965
December 7, 2012, 10:07 PM
If you submit serial numbers to the police, go back in and check them often. Had 5 guns stolen years ago. Go back in to check, one not in the system anymore. Had them put it back in and a couple of years later it showed up fixing to be auctioned by the police. Had another recovered by the ATF. Did not call me. When I inquired with the ATF the response I got was "didn't insurance take care of it". Finally when they realized I was not going away, they told me they destroyed it and it was a mistake and they were sorry. I asked for documentation, still waiting. Tried to put the number back in and no one will do it.

wolf695
December 8, 2012, 02:33 PM
We have a big problem with this as well, In fact its been going on for many years now! Good luck, tell the the state police and the batf! They will help you track them down, if they show up! Also you may want to contact local gun smiths to see if they tried to order new recievers for any of them.

soonerfan85
December 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
I was talking to a local deputy sherrif at a gun auction earlier this year about some of the really high end firearms up for auction. Don't know if it's this way anywhere else, but he said that if the owner can't provide a serial number to prove ownership they have to auction off recovered firearms. Didn't buy any myself as the prices being paid were insane. A backround check and FFL transfer fee were required so no felons buying them, just people with more money than sense.

saltydog452
December 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Electricity may move at light speed, but human responses do not.

Even if you have access to a computerized list, it could take months before the stolen item is listed. Lots of lag time there.

Next, who is the owner? If an insurance claim was paid, the new rightful owner is now a Insurance Company.

Cliff Notes version is that the Police or an insurance company aren't likely to function as a 'lost and found'. Kinda doubtful if either would spend the resources to ensure that a stolen firearn gets back to its prior owner. A Remington sculpture maybe, a Remington firearm, not likely.

salty

Double Naught Spy
December 28, 2012, 10:51 PM
I was talking to a buddy policeman. he told me the best thing you can do is to take the butt plate off and dab a little minwax polyurethane on the wood
then stick your thumb print in it. let dry. record your serial numbers
they can grind out the serial numbers. but he said 9 out of 10 will not pull the plate . then when the gun is picked up. the proof is there

Who is going to pull the buttplates on a gun with the serial numbers ground off? That probably won't ever happen and the gun won't ever be recovered.

reggie_love
December 31, 2012, 01:08 AM
The thought of my guns in the hands of some unscrupulous stranger makes my stomach turn. Hope they catch the guys!

Clean97GTI
January 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
at my old townhouse, I had a small floor safe that was poured in place with concrete. It would accommodate every handgun I owned at the time. The handguns all went in there when I would leave town along with various important papers.

The long guns got a good size aircraft cable through the actions and that went around the chimney pipe that ran up through the closet (behind drywall) in the master bedroom. Not fool proof but they weren't going to be carted off that easily.

Deadman644
January 31, 2013, 03:22 PM
If we would put anyone who commits a gun related felony, or anyone who is a third timer in a steel box with the door welded shut, and no outside contact we wouldn't have any crime in a short time. If a person can't live within the laws of society they need to be removed from society.

larryh1108
January 31, 2013, 04:42 PM
I am a believer in doing the time if you do the crime and for losing your rights in the process. However, the jails are so full that criminals get off in half the time with the 1 day off for 1 day of good behavior cookie. If the sentence is 10 years, they're out in 5 unless they are badder bad boys. I say 10 is 10 and I also say add 10 hard to any crime that has a firearm present whether used or not. If it involves a gun, 100% plus 10 should deter a lot of people from carrying a piece with them as they do their carnage.

Z28500
February 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
Just a thought, but if he thinks he knows who it was, why not just get some friends together and kinda keep that guy under surveillance without him knowing and take pictures of him if he has guns with him? I know- something like that isn't easy, I was only thinking of what I might do. In reality, the thief needs to be punished:fire:severely
Z

raa-7
March 18, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hate to hear about things like that. it'll somehow get back to them or whoever did it ! Yep ! Also being that so many were taken,they might have already slipped up somehow,like if they sell them to someone that is not that slick,that person might screw up and sell one or two,whatever,,to the wrong person or people etc.The word is out ...

snakebite13
March 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
I really understand the stolen gun crap! I lost over a dozen hand guns and rifles and two over and under shot guns to house thief. They came in the back door and rensacked my home from one end to the other. My wife and I had other smaller items taken also. Ends up it was my step son and his drug buddies. I never saw any of my guns again. They still hang a horse thief!

Blacksmoke
October 30, 2013, 10:48 AM
Years ago, my neighbor had his safe chained to the back of a truck and the safe dragged out through the stud frame wall below a window. How the burglars loaded it onto the truck is unknown. The safe was not bolted to the floor.

I have one safe bolted to the slab floor and another, not bolted, weighs about one ton. Neither can survive mechanical advantage of a truck dragging it or a winch mounted on a truck. The good news is that level of activity is very time consuming and difficult to conceal. Most thieves are smash, grab and run. Sadly, I did leave some valuable guns out and they disappeared overnight. I will never do that again.

Cameras help with accountability and I hope to add some when I can afford them.

notmyrichie
November 12, 2013, 01:49 AM
When My House Got Broke into, The Cops Told Me it was someone that I knew. They Only Took the Guns Nothing else. They asked me- Who had been in my house in the last 6 months, and knew I had guns- Besides Family. There where only two people. One of those people was at work that day. The other one was a friend. I found out later -He lost his job, Started using crack, had been in prison for B&E (he had a Gun on him during a B&E) had been arrested a bunch of times for B&E, he moved into a different house, changed his number, made his Facebook Private. Deleted me as a FB friend.

jimsouth
January 5, 2014, 11:14 AM
My cousin has a Heritage Safe - I believe it's 1.200 pounds empty. I have downsized and ordered a double door Stack On steel gun cabinet that I will beef up. In the back of a closet ( a tight fit & out of sight ) - bolted to floor - extra locking mechanism - and motion detector alarms ( two ). Will run an outdoor alarm this Spring. The alarms will definitely go off long before someone can open the cabinet.

Bubbles
January 6, 2014, 05:25 PM
Stolen from Bear Paw Arms in PA last weekend, someone swiped a box off the truck when loading/unloading at a gun show:

Silencer CO Sparrow SS Suppressor SS-4299
Glock 21 HWU771
S&W M&P22 Pistol MP008021
S&W Shield 9mm Pistol HBD6791
Para Ord 1911 G108401
Charles Daly 1911 CD009797 (Missing left grip screw)

$500 REWARD for information leading to an arrest (724) 433-3199

wolf695
January 8, 2014, 04:42 PM
I have learned gun thieves are pretty ingenius, and the ones around here anyway! They have a construction van a 1 ton, and tools to get what they are after. As for the law in this one is related to the head thief. In this case, they are still loose! The best advise is to have someone there at all times, or a good security system. I hope he gets his guns back!

bflee
February 16, 2014, 10:25 PM
Hidden storage areas are the best. I have two firearm storage hidden walls in my house that I built myself when I finished the upstairs of my house. My wife doesnt even know they are there, or whats in them. Most people's issue is they like to show their guns off. That is not an issue as long as they dont let them know where they are stored. I could give you an hour upstairs in my house with you knowing I had one and you wouldnt find it.
Fire would be its weak point.

Brian Williams
March 10, 2014, 12:11 PM
Or your death bflee

shooter94
March 23, 2014, 05:54 AM
My neighbor got burglarized and had a bunch of firearms stolen. This is a list that he gave me to spread the word on. They were taken in the predawn hours on 10/17/2011 in Port Orchard, WA. They took his whole safe (cheap walmart kind), a couple more from his bedroom (missed the two in the living room), all his wife's jewelry and a computer. Ignored all the electronics. He's sure he knows who it was and that they had been to his place before. His very protective dog did nothing.

Colt Trooper MkIII, .357mag revolver, blued, SN J85928
Ruger P94, 9mm pistol, brushed nickel, SN 30830038
Colt M1911, .45acp, Commercial Model CA1953 (No NS Provided)
Italian? 36 Navy double action revolver, black, SN x1315
Remington 1148, 12ga semi-auto shotgun (No NS Provided)
Norinco MAK-90, 7.62x39, (No NS Provided)
Stevens Model 44, .22lr, blued (No NS Provided)
Winchester 91 (cir. 1942), 30-30, blued, (No NS Provided)
Universal M1 Carbine, 30 Carbine, (No NS Provided)
Winchester 255, .22lr lever action rifle, (No NS Provided)
Unknown .22 single shot bolt action rifle

That's messed up. My sympathies to the victim. When i was a teen in highschool, people who i thought were my freinds at the time burglarized my house and stole all of our guns. That was back on the 1980s, im sure they've been recovered somewhere. Most lawenforcement agencies do not return stolen firearms, especially California where this all took place. Again, my sympathies to the victim.

lever action
March 23, 2014, 04:22 PM
I hate thieves.

Tom_AZ
March 24, 2014, 11:58 PM
I hate thieves.

This! Hope your friend gets everything back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Be on the lookout for stolen guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!