Seating depth

PDA

Dustyboots911
October 19, 2011, 10:04 PM
I need some help. I have a bolt gun in .308. I shoot Bergers in 175 VLD. The Sierra manuel says COL is 2.80 I seated one very lightly and chambered it and the COL comes out to 3.068. So loading them to the 2.80 am I jumping them THAT much? A tech from Sinclair said that was an okay length to work with. Any help or suggestions? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating depth" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dmazur
October 20, 2011, 01:17 AM
Well, here's a discussion -

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=584356

Looks like the concern is the typical "if it is where I want it, it won't fit in the magazine" problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "seated one very lightly". There are several methods to measure distance to the lands, but there are some gotchas if you don't have the right tools and/or technique -

I'm not sure of what goes wrong, but I believe the result is an erroneous length reading, showing more distance to the start of the lands than is actually there.

Good luck.

ArchAngelCD
October 20, 2011, 01:27 AM
If you're worried about "that much" jump how do we explain the outstanding accuracy of Weatherby rifles?

amlevin
October 20, 2011, 10:58 AM
If you're worried about "that much" jump how do we explain the outstanding accuracy of Weatherby rifles?

Or the fact that my Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec shoots larger groups when the "jump" is reduced. .130 jump yields groups less than .250 @ 100 yards. Jumps of .020" are over 1/2", even with re-worked loads.

I've quit "arguing" with my rifle now just feed it what it likes. The 2.800" ammo also fits and feeds from the magazine without flaw.

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating depth" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!