300 win mag suggestions

PDA

Bonquiqui
October 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
So I'm finally at a point where I can get myself into a decent rifle project. I decided I wanted to build a nice long range hard hitting bolt action rifle and after some research I decided to take a good hard look at the 300 win mag. My problem is there are SO MANY options when it comes to picking a base platform to work with. So with some general guidelines as to what I am looking for I could really use a point in the direction of some good solid make/model's.

The only guidelines I have are that I am not really looking for shiny pretty bits as much as durability, reliability and accuracy. I also have a budget of $1,000-$1300. Any input you guys have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "300 win mag suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
October 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
I also have a budget of $1,000-$1300.

Does the budget include the glass that you'll need? Are you planning to use a complete rifle, a barreled action or an action alone to which you will add a custom barrel?
As you mentioned, there are a lot of options to consider, and we should know how you are going to break it down.

A $700 rifle and $500 glass will get it done, and there are several good brands to choose from, but budgetary constraints will limit your choices.

NCsmitty

henschman
October 20, 2011, 02:50 PM
I am wanting the same thing and have about the same price range as you (if that budget is for both a rifle and optics). Right now the one at the top of the list is the Savage 111. It comes with a pretty good adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock, and a free floated barrel that is pretty decent for a factory one. They are pretty darn accurate right out of the box, and you can do more to them as you get more money. You can get them in the $600 range, and spend the rest on a decent scope.

Bonquiqui
October 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
I want a complete rifle, that I can pick out a nice chunk of glass for, add a bipod and be good to go. I am looking at 1000-1300 for just the rifle.

T Bran
October 20, 2011, 03:14 PM
I just bought a Savage 114 .300 Win mag with Accutrigger . The gun is stainless steel in a decent wood stock and not to heavy to tote. I put a Nikon monarch on it that I had laying around. It is as accurate as I can shoot and a better shooter would do even better with it. I paid 560.00 plus 25.00 transfer from Buds Guns with free shipping. The only thing I will change at this point is the recoil pad because what it comes with is more like a piece of 3/8'' thick rubber. So far im very impressed with it especially for the price.
Good luck with your purchase.
T

Tadracket
October 20, 2011, 03:25 PM
I bought my 700 BDL DM back in '95 or '96 I think. It has been my #1 rifle for everything since. It does need some work, bedding and floating. But other than that, it has been a fantastic piece.

MtnCreek
October 20, 2011, 03:59 PM
I want a complete rifle, that I can pick out a nice chunk of glass for, add a bipod and be good to go. I am looking at 1000-1300 for just the rifle.

You may want to go with a 700P. I have one in 300wm and it's a great shooter. Solid 0.75moa shooter off a sling or bipod. Better w/ handloads and off bags. It should give you everything you're looking for (less a great barrel). After you shoot the throat out (or just looking for better accuracy), let a good smith true the action and mount a good barrel. I think I paid around $850 back in '08 (funded rifle/optics with a bunch of commie junk for about twice what any of it was worth; thank you Pres. Obama!).

LoonWulf
October 20, 2011, 05:37 PM
You know....pick a respected manufacturer, a rifle you like the look and feel of in your price range, and it will be pretty hard to go wrong. Personally i like Savage and Remington (tho the fit and finish on my last rimington was a bit less then perfect, budget gun tho).

jmr40
October 20, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'd look hard at this. Street prices will be under $1,000

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110

But in 300 WSM instead. If you compare the ballistics they are virtually the same. The Win mag might beat the WSM by 25-30 fps with some loads. But look at the rifle. The WSM is built on a short action 308 size rifle that weighs less and because it can equal those velocities with a shorter barrel the overall length is about 3" shorter. Because the WSM rounds are more efficient you will burn less powder to get equal velocities, and get less recoil than the Win mag.

A 300 WSM was used recently to set a new 1,000 yard accuracy record. 10 shots into 2.815" @ 1,000 yards.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/09/matt-kline-shoots-2-815-record-at-1000-yards-with-300-wsm/

The only real downside is the cost of ammo if you don't reload. The WSM's are much more expensive, but I cannot afford to shoot anything without reloading. By handloading there is little price difference between ammo for any of my guns.

T Bran
October 20, 2011, 07:22 PM
I actually wish my Savage was a pound or so heavier to help reduce felt recoil. In my case a lighter rifle in a caliber that already has pretty stout recoil is not high on my list of needful things. I am possibly more recoil sensative than some others it is really an individual prefrence thing. I also have a Rem 760 in 30-06 the recoil from this gun is substantially lower than the 300 Win Mag with the same bullet weights.
Your best bet is to make a list of the top contenders and go fondle as many as you can it is very possible that the gun that feels best in your hands isnt what you thought it would be.
LUCK
T

LoonWulf
October 20, 2011, 08:37 PM
My .300 weighs in at just over 8lbs scoped and loaded. I have a squishy pad on it and it help mellow out the jolt quite a bit, ive also found the heavier bullets kick harder but dont seem to come back as fast. just a thought. The WSM is supposed to kick a bit less the a norma WM, but i havent noticed any differance in the ones ive shot.

surjimmy
October 21, 2011, 02:06 AM
The Tikka T3 gets my vote. I have a 300wsm, butter smooth action and as accurate as they come. Free floating barrel and a crisp trigger. All under $500.

jmr40
October 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
I actually wish my Savage was a pound or so heavier to help reduce felt recoil.

I also have a Rem 760 in 30-06 the recoil from this gun is substantially lower than the 300 Win Mag with the same bullet weights.

This is what I like about the WSM round. Mine weighs 7.5 lbs including scope and mounts. It is only 2 oz heavier than my 308 and exactly the same as my go-to 30-06. Geting 400-500 fps more velocity than the 308 and recoil is only ever so slightly more than the 30-06.

I've had the 300 Win mag before. Recoil is in a different league with this round, but the 300 WSM is only a very small step up over the 30-06.

Bonquiqui
October 21, 2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the imput guys, I have a few rifles in mind and I will be setting out to fondle a few this weekend.

NELSONs02
October 21, 2011, 05:16 PM
Spend the 1300 on a used optic(Night Force, USO etc...) and start saving for a real rifle.

I advise against dumping money into a factory rifle to make it custom. 9 out of 10 times your much better off just saving up the extra money to have a company like GAP or Surgeon build one from the ground up.

Make a one-time deal and get it done right.

Mr.Blue
October 22, 2011, 12:05 AM
Take a look at the Remington 700 Sendero Stainless Fluted. I love mine. It is accurate as all hell. The .300 Win Mag recoil isn't bad at all with this gun. It's about 8 1/2 lbs., but has a really meaty bull barrel. Remington claims that the Sendero is the most accurate out of the box rifle that they make.

http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sendero-sf-ii.aspx

MachIVshooter
October 22, 2011, 06:15 AM
Take a look at the Remington 700 Sendero Stainless Fluted

That was my first thought with that budget. They're a decent step up from the (already good) standard 700.

If you enjoyed reading about "300 win mag suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!