300 wsm 150 tsx

PDA

suzukisam
October 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
I wanted to know if anyone is loading these in 300wsm.. I'm going to start working up a load tonight and I'm only going to have a couple opportunities to test them before deer season... I have varget, and 4831sc, hybrid 100, but I can buy whatever... any help would be great.. it's going to be fired out of a browning x bolt

If you enjoyed reading about "300 wsm 150 tsx" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
quartermaster
October 21, 2011, 12:42 PM
I have 2 300wsms. A Tikka and a Rem 700. I haven't loaded nor shot the Remington, but spent a lot more time and effort with the Tikka than I ever could imagine. I had 100 Norma brass with very little neck runout and pretty much all the neck thickness's were around .001 or less.

I wanted to shoot 150's also. I tried 3 or 4 different powders and the same amount of different bullets with no better than 1 1/2 groups or worse. I stepped up to 165s with pretty much the same results, although I only had a couple of different 165s on hand. Finally, I figured I had to try 180s which I really didn't want to do. I got pretty promising results with the Sierra FB 180s and IMR 4831. With messing around with oal and trying a few different primers, I shot a few 1/2" groups. I can pretty much pick it up any time and shoot groups from that size to 7/8". I used all but 5 or so of the new brass to get to this point. I'm sure my second firing with this brass may be slightly more accurate. I use all redding bushing dies and if I don't screw up the concentricity loading them, there should be no problem.

It's a bit more bullet than I wanted, but shoots very reliable. I have always been a Nosler guy, but have learned the hard way that when all else fails, try a flat base.

I am lucky enough to have a range set up that I can shoot off my back porch, so I can chrony all shots and go down to the cellar and load a few more and try them also until I hit the magic combination.

I'm sure your rifle chamber has different dimensions than mine, so there is no sense in giving you my exact data.

Good luck and have fun. Reloading is a labor of love for me.

quartermaster
October 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
For some reason my reply posted twice. sorry to take up the extra space

If you enjoyed reading about "300 wsm 150 tsx" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!