Missouri Bullet Softball Problem

PDA

jr_roosa
October 21, 2011, 01:23 AM
I have some 230gr Softball round nose that I just can't seem to seat straight for .45 ACP.

I had an old Pacific press where the ram sits at about a 10 degree angle, and I replaced that with a Forster Co-Ax (mainly because I wanted a new press, not just for this problem). I've tried more flare, less flare, delicately placing them square, swearing, cajoling, prayer, voodoo, and nothing seems to work. 3/4 of them come out with a slightly lopsided bulge, and many won't drop into the case gauge because of that.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm using RCBS dies with the round nose seater stem. I don't have nearly as much trouble with SWCs, probably because the flat seater plug squares things off using the flat meplat. I would really like to have loads that match the recoil of hardball/defense loads, and I have another 450 bullets to load and shoot in the box.

-J.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missouri Bullet Softball Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kosh75287
October 21, 2011, 02:04 AM
THIS suggestion is from the "If it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid." department: Try disassembling and cleaning the die, seater stem and all, with particular attention to meticulously de-greasing everything (I like aerosol brake-cleaning solution for this). Even an invisible film of oil, sandwiched between the round nose of a LRN projectile and a seater-stem recess of complimentary shape can make loose projectiles do frustrating things before the projectile base is deep enough into the case mouth to restrict lateral motion.
Two other expensive realizations that I relate free of charge:
1.) Even if you're certain that the silly thing isn't greasy, ASSUME that there's lubricant somewhere that it shouldn't be.
2.) Even if the above assumption is wrong and disassembly/degreasing SEEMS a wasted trip, SOMETIMES, the mere act of pulling apart a defective mechanism to discern its cause, finding nothing, and reassembling it will alleviate the problem. It shouldn't work like that, but sometimes it DOES.

Seedtick
October 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
SOMETIMES, the mere act of pulling apart a defective mechanism to discern its cause, finding nothing, and reassembling it will alleviate the problem. It shouldn't work like that, but sometimes it DOES.

:confused: And that covers far more than just reloading problems! :confused:

Seedtick

:)

Vette
October 21, 2011, 05:12 PM
I had the same problem loading 200gr 45 acp. I solved the problem by useing a Hornady custom grade new deminsion seating die. it has a floating sleave that trues up the bullet with the case before seating. It comes with a round nose and a flat nose stem. It worked for me. I was using lee seating die before. The die was purchased from Midway.

noylj
October 21, 2011, 07:43 PM
Forgetting about case neck flaring/belling, are you expanding the case ID over the length that the bullet is being seated to within 0.002" of the bullet diameter?
Using a cast bullet of 0.452", the case ID over the length that the bullet will be seated should be 0.450-0.451".
Any smaller and the bullet will not seat square.
Any larger and you lose bullet tension.
You get one or both of the following with insufficient case expansion:
bullet swaged down to a smaller and inconsistent diameter
and
a case bulge where the case wall is thinnest.
One other thing to try: loosen the seating stem so it is free to wobble. Seat a bullet to the target COL. With the round in the die, then lock the seating stem down. I set up each die with an inert case or round in the die before any part of the die is locked down.

dardascastbullets
October 22, 2011, 09:58 AM
I have always used the Lyman 2 Step M Die for preparing cases for cast bullets. It does not flair the case mouth, rather it imparts a 2 step ID into the case mouth. The cast bullet will slip into the case like a glove and it will not tip. This in conjunction with a properly fitted seater stem will eliminate your problem. It is paramount that the bullets be seated perfectly in line with the case.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missouri Bullet Softball Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!