can anyone tell me anything about this scope?

PDA

hipoint
October 21, 2011, 04:25 AM
sorry... no pics of it.

it is a tasco world class 8-32x44mm really fine crosshairs with the dot in the middle. The "Tasco" is in gold lettering not white lettering, and the traction ring on the front objective lens (adjustable for parallax I'm assuming) is a single wide row rather than a double skinny row.

Seems to be a pretty good scope, but I haven't been able to find out anything about it. All the ones I've seen online have been slightly different than this one.

If you enjoyed reading about "can anyone tell me anything about this scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hipoint
October 21, 2011, 04:31 AM
here's a link to one like it, I hadn't seen this link before.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/14822/2936462080088176592S600x600Q85.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1242574&usg=__iKdbIesL5t9k9SBKV89Cp06EKq8=&h=450&w=600&sz=38&hl=en&start=11&zoom=1&tbnid=orGVFQOXnJ-prM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&ei=RC2hTtW1Icihtwet7ZGmBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtasco%2Bworld%2Bclass%2B8-32x44%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Den%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 21, 2011, 06:17 AM
If it says Tasco, the only thing I would install it on is a rifle that does not recoil, like no larger than a .22 Long Rifle.

I have had bad experience with Tasco since they first came out.

My time is worth more to me than to sit at the range trying to figure out why the crosshairs don't seem to budge, then suddenly the shots are off the target. 29 shots later, the gun is still not sighted in, then I wonder if I will be able to hit anything with it!

hipoint
October 21, 2011, 01:34 PM
the scope came mounted on my rem 700 in 30-06 and seems to hold it's zero pretty well... but the only reason I'm leaving it on there is it has such a huge zoom on it that I figured it would be good for those times that I might actually go somewhere where it will be useful... if it isn't worth leaving it on there, then I might replace it, but there's no way I can afford a scope that costs as much or more than my rifle.

anybody got a better one they'd let go of in the 100 dollar range?

Hunterdad
October 21, 2011, 04:02 PM
If you save your pennies, you can get a Nikon for a little over $100.

CONNEX 3300
October 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
I haven't handled that particular scope, but I have used 2 of the Tasco "long-range hunter" scopes. They were the 2.5-10 mil-dot reticle scopes. Surprisingly, they both have held up well, one on a .243 and another on a .303 British. Not the highest quality scopes in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but they did hold up. If I was looking for a very cheap but reliable and relatively clear scope I would grab the Tasco hands down.
And I own and use Bushnell 6500 elites, and nightforce NXS scopes and I have used schmidt and bender, vortex, and highdollar Leupolds so I do have other scopes to compare this one to.

slowr1der
October 21, 2011, 04:58 PM
If this Tasco says made in Japan on the bottom, or on the eyepiece somewhere and you'd be interested in selling it shoot me a pm. I've got a .22 that this would be perfect for.

That said, if this is a hunting rifle, I'd want something with less power on the low end, as to me 8x really is to much for a lot of hunting situations. I use 5x when hunting 85% of the time.

hipoint
October 21, 2011, 07:28 PM
I hear ya about the 8x being too much on the lower end. I like the scope though, seems to hold it's zero fine (aside from the one time I fell on it very hard and gut shot a deer because of it).

I recently got my 8mm mauser back in action, it's got pretty decent aftermarket sights on it so I'm now using it most of the time, the tasco scope I've got takes too long to find the deer in it and has caused me to miss more than one that I've spooked up out of some brush.

I don't want to get rid of it though, I figure if I go to the flatlands to hunt it would be good to have a higher powered scope for longer range shots, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these...

I do have to say, when I fell down on the scope I fell with my full weight on it on a metal ramp and while it did knock it about 18 inches off of zero at 50 yards, I re-zeroed it and it seems fine. That's a word of advice for the hunters though, if you fall on your scope only rifle going hunting, just turn around and go back home... I wish I had, the poor deer was never found. I shot it at dawn and had to quit looking when it got dark, we tracked it for miles.

I did just find a bunch more 30-06 ammo that I had stowed away in a gun case in the closet, so with those "free" rounds and my laser bore sighter, I might just go buy a 3-9x50 scope as that would be a little more reasonable around here. Maybe I'll look for a low end nikon in the 50mm size. I want as large of a field of view as possible since this rifle doesn't have iron sights on it.

hipoint
October 21, 2011, 07:39 PM
any suggestions for one with a very wide field of view in a 3-9 (or similar) zoom? I'd have to draw the line at $150 for anything unless I could trade/swap things to make up the difference, I'm fairly poor (hence the screen-name "hipoint").

I really don't like red-dot scopes they aren't precise enough for me as I usually do headshots to save meat. aside from that, I don't want a scope that won't work at all if the batteries go dead on me, doesn't make for a good shtf gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "can anyone tell me anything about this scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!